Injury Experience

Discussion in 'Health' started by Poofighter, Apr 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @knucklebuster ... makes me a bit sick to my stomach to hear of yet another setback. Like others on this site, I have had to manage a finicky back with some very badly shaped L4 and L5 discs that flare up from time to time. @mountaingirl sara is right on target as far as I am concerned. Stretching, yoga, core strengthening are key when you are NOT in an acute condition. When you are - pain meds, anti-inflammatory and flat-on-your-back rest may be the best temporary solution.

You'll get this under control, like you have everything else life has thrown at you. :thumbsup:

bvader, mike, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    :thumbsup::inlove: Dr Herz

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    :oops: YMMV? IMHO?

4. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    YMMV? Your mileage may vary? You make me vomit??
    I was saying that you offer good/helpful advice amigo ;)

Cyclotourist, mike, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Thanks Herz, yeah things can go south quick with the IBD condition, but thankfully that's under control right now. Appreciate the non-acute suggestions (and thx @mountaingirl sara for the suggestions earlier), but probably wise in my case to let the pro PT people show me the right way, 'cause I'm sure I could mess things up with trying stretches or yoga on my own. I needed to see the doc anyway to get the corticosteroid since I can't take NSAIDs. That pain really scared the crap out of me, still does. Can't imagine someone having to live with it long term.

Thanks again all y'all :D for the good wishes and suggestions. And here's to hoping no more back issues reported this year!

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Be advised that future back issues are hereby contra-indicated and not allowed. :) I'm sure you'll get through this and be back at it in no time!!:thumbsup:

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I know, but I thought I may have needed to add the disclaimers of Your Mileage May Vary and In My Humble Opinion so I didn't come across as dispensing medical advice. o_O

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Anyone who takes any medicalistic advice on any forum deserves their outcome. :thumbsup:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I get all of my life advice from this forum...:inlove:

Stkx66, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  10. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Good, and apparently final follow up with my surgeon today. He said the shoulder is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing, and is seemingly healing quicker than is typical. Said he doesn't need to see me again unless I have an issue. I didn't get the all clear to just have at it, but he basically said give it a few more weeks, and then just listen to my body. I told him I have plans to go snowboarding in 1 month, and he took no issue with that. Woot. Probably going to give it a couple more weeks, and then assuming I have the new bike, will venture out onto some fire roads and see how I tolerate the vibration. Light at the end of the tunnel, and stuff.

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, mike and 8 others like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Good progress at PT, and the therapist seemed super pleased at my appointment today. Asked for her blessing to start some light weight training, and she said she saw no reason not to as long as I'm mindful. Left PT and drove straight to the gym. Bench press, lat pull downs, rows, back squats, all without issue. Didn't push it, but shoulder felt solid. Even doing light weight it's apparent how much strength I've lost, but I couldn't help but feel "I'm back". Feeling confident I'll be back on the mountain bike in some capacity by the beginning of February, provided I've taken possession of an actual bike by then.

12. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Scars, divots and scratches.

DangerDirtyD, buggravy, mike and 3 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This is awesome news! :thumbsup:

Faust29, buggravy, mike and 3 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @buggravy, good to hear! It's a complex joint prone to multiple issues. A buddy is getting ready for some major reconstruction, will be off work for 4-6 months. He'll be stoked on your success story. Keep on!

The silence on your new bike is deafening, pal... :p:thumbsup:

Faust29, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Tell me about it. No update today (though I didn't follow up for one), so I hope that doesn't mean the frame is still at powdercoat. Given the time of year and what they have going on, I expect they're pretty buried. Probably the very worst time to order a bike from them. That said, it's probably for the best. My shoulder is feeling good enough that if I had a bike I'd probably go ride, but it's still just achy enough that I know waiting a couple more weeks is definitely for the best.

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It all works out. I think you sized up the situation well. I'm sure the guys appreciate you just letting it happen (like many don't do?).

Yep, I would be pretty okay with a couple of extra weeks for a repaired wing to get more smash-worthy. :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.
  18. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Had a not good day in the gym yesterday. Some familiar pain in the shoulder, even at still light weight. I have a truly amazing PT, and she quickly diagnosed the impingement, and why it happened. The short version is too much too quick, and the shoulder compensated by reverting to its old tricks. I actually thought I was being patient and conservative, but she really schooled me on the ramp up process. Not news I wanted to hear, but at least she didn't say stay out of the gym. And though I didn't take any spills snowboarding with my kid on Monday, just in going through the motions I could tell that even an innocuous fall could be dangerous. So I'm a bit deflated, but of course know things could be much worse.

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Bummer. Stay patient, if you can. I doubt I could.

20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Sorry to hear this, I understand your frustration. I think the name of the game is patience, which as athletes, many of us aren't great at. And the knowing what you can and can’t do isn’t always clear! When my surgeon said I could start running again 4mo after surgery I was elated, so I went for a run...long story short the knee is reinjured or just very very aggravated. I have an mri on Wed and the surgeon is talking about possible surgery again pending results.
    All that to say...hang in there Matt! Go slow and conservative! I hope you heal up 100% :):thumbsup:

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, mike and 4 others like this.
  21. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yikes Sara. You mentioned your setback a while ago but I hadn’t heard about the possible surgery :(
    I pray that it isn’t necessary but, if that is what it takes to get you back on the dirt. We all know how much riding on dirt means to you. Keep your positivity going.

22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    F@ck! One step forward and two steps backwards... Until your body decides that going forward is the only option. And we all know you'll get there... We will see you on the dirt. Soon.

Cyclotourist, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks a bunch Tucker! I didn’t want to post the details because I don’t want sympathy...but it’s coming up quick and I’ll get the results and keep you all posted. Thankfully doc says I can road ride but nothing else.....I’ll take it!:thumbsup::)

24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Thanks Steve! We’ll have a big ride to celebrate the mended hooligans! Can-not-wait!!!!!!

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Dang Sara, sorry to hear. I remember you posting that, but was hoping no gnews is good gnews. I had a similar scare when I had my other shoulder repaired about 10 years ago, and it's nerve-wracking to say the least. Fingers crossed that it's just tweaked, and a minor setback.

My post might have been melodramatic. In reality it's a very minor and correctable physical setback causing a more ego-bruising psychological setback. I really thought I WAS taking it easy. Bottom line is, perhaps even more than being patient, my body is just telling me that it wants to be trained in a different way than I've been doing for the last long while. I'm giving serious consideration to hiring a trainer and doing a complete reboot on my approach. Between lack of strength training since surgery, and some intense dietary experimentation trying to battle inflammation metabolically instead of pharmaceutically, I'm down about 12 pounds over the last 4 months, on an already lean frame. I've been doing lots of reading, listening, etc., on a more longevity based vs. immediate performance based approach to training, but my vanity and ego is fighting it tooth and nail. I guess this is a whole other conversation though.

26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hey guys, meaning Sar and buggravy, please take it easy. In every way! Keep telling yourself that it’s temporary, because it is. :)

It’s usually easier said than done, but I have not done anything since Dec 16. In no hurry to jump back in. I’ve been here before multiple times, and so I know how to deal with the epic mind fuk. Going forward, thoughtfully manage activities, listen to feedback and adjust as needed.

Power on! :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, Stkx66, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  27. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I don’t think it is sympathy we are expressing here - well, maybe a little, but I think we can relate to what you, @buggravy and others are going through. Riding is an important part of our lives. We get the frustration of not being able to do something we love. We’ve seen your stoke and it is infectious.

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I get it... But it's hard.
    As I mentioned i broke my toe on Jan 5th.
    Had a follow up x Ray today to see if it's healing well. Looks like it's not healing as well as expected. We'll see what they come up with but heard surgery being tossed around. :mad:
    Haven't been able to ride or anything, but can't help but walk around.
    Oh well, time is what's needed....

Cyclotourist, CBone, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Noooo! Hoping for the best prognosis here Dan! I used lots of high quality bone supplements and collagen powder when I snapped my baby toe in two(2015) ..not sure if it helped or not but it was worth it to try. Your local Wh Foods should have some excellent supplements!

30. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I love that you all “get it” it’s obvious and really means A LOT!:inlove::thumbsup: These setbacks are so humbling and teach us a lot if we’re willing to learn.