Industry Insiders Discuss Changing Standards...Podcast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtnbikej, Dec 17, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is all too obvious. The industry needs to slow way down. It was good to hear that the manufacturers (bike companies) are frustrated too, though.

The speed/rate at which bigger, better, newer, faster, stronger, lighter, and smarter things are being introduced is showing everywhere and in everything. We are our own worst enemy.

Faust29, herzalot, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  3. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Just go back to the breaking news thread of which @Fran posted about computers, no doubt this is here, and is unstoppable, I am convinced computers will destroy us in one way or another. How can you get used to something that changes so fast that you can’t get used it? What do we do with all the stuff that is obsolete in one year? We got to find that new planet cause this one is tapped out! Open wide!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

Faust29, herzalot, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I can still buy a brand new set of Stans Valor's in 26" and QR's.

Yes, there are constantly new "standards", but the old stuff is still there. If I want to buy disc brake pads for my car I might only have a narrow age range, or may be only a specific model in which they will fit. But with bikes, I that is far less of a concern.

6. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    There is a number of recent innovations in mountain biking that I feel we were fine without before they were introduced. However, I am afraid to state any of them in fear of starting a serious shitstorm here and possibly even getting banned, lol!!!

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That is something that happens only on that other site. Unless, of course, you step really hard on your own wanker. o_O

8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I think you’re fine expressing a dissenting opinion here. Unless it’s about Tailwind. :)

9. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    If you want them to slow down, stop buying new bikes

10. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    You're right. I am a frame buyer. Bike companies will not build a bike to my spec so I build 'em up myself.

In fact, over the past year or so new bikes sales seem to have dropped in the shops where I shop.

11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Bike sales have dropped industry wide, so it is not surprising.

12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Only if you buy it - literally and figuratively.

13. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    For the uninformed why is that?

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    New, different, better.

bvader likes this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Oh do it. You will be surprised how many will agree with you. The rest of us will simply denigrate you like we always do. :sneaky: ;) :whistling: o_O :)

I'll start - 142 mm rear spacing is just fine. No need for "Boost" "Super Boost" or whatever.

Front derailleurs and 2x10 systems were great, IMO. Lots of range. Minimal problems. Not a huge weight penalty.

16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll go ya one better - there is no substantive difference between a 135mm and 142mm hub. Axle going from 9mm to 12mm (or 15mm in the front) can make a difference, and the thru axle actually makes sense if for no other reason that have the wheel in the same position every single time. No readjusting brake caliper position every time you change a tire. But 3.5 mm per side wider? 7mm overall? That's only a third of an inch.

Same with going from 100mm to 110 in the front.

Faust29, mtnbikej and herzalot like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    In a certain sense, going from 135 to 142 wasn't a big jump......BUT......most people went from 5mm QR to 12mm T/A on the rear which did help to stiffen up the rear end of the bike.

Maybe with the wider rims these days, it eases up on the bracing angles of the spokes. It has also made it a little easier for clearing 27.5+ tires.

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Thru axles in general made a HUGE difference in our sport. I still prefer 20mm front over 15 mm.

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Gotta admit....I can't feel the difference between the 2. My previous Revelation was 20mm and the current one is a 15mm.....I don't notice any difference in them.

Faust29, Danimal and herzalot like this.
  20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, but you're a crappy rider and I am a beast! :whistling: :cool:

(Shoot - got that backwards again).

UPSed, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    OTOH... If you look Macro... How many of us honesty want to be riding today what we rode in 1999...not me! (Yes there will Smart A$$ remarks but we are waaaaaay ahead and most of us long for the good ole days sometimes..).
    It is the Darwinism in the form of Product Evolution .. With Product Evolution the best does not always win incrementally but over time ... products... especially mechanical products .... evolve, generally for the better... better, stronger materials, better manufacturing process, etc ...

22. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Are bike sales down overall, or just in the higher end road and mtb sales? Or just in the Walmart beach cruiser and hipster-on-the-fixie segment?

herzalot likes this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Still confused why bike sales down... if lots of new different wouldn't that drive sales... or you saying it is causing confusion and avoidance?

Perhaps I should actually listen to the Podcast LOL... will do in the AM.

24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Aother step that will lead to a slow down in our "thriving" economy and likely a correction in the over-grown stock market. Batten down the hatches.
    A study has shown that 148 is actually weaker (prone to flex), than 142.

I am liking the simplicity of 1x but I feel that those who live in flatter lands would benefit from 2x for it higher end speed capability.

Now, for one thing that I think is unnecessary. Are you guys ready? I'm going to get hammered for this, lol...

Plus wheels and tires. The added drag and weight is immediately noticeable. The added traction was never necessary in the first place.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nope, me either. Here are the improvements I wouldn't want to live without (compared to 1999):

Thru axles
    Current tubeless systems and Maxxis tires
    Modern geometry
    Reliable suspension
    Current brakes (Shimano preferred, but ANY over those available in 1999)

That's about it. Transmissions and cranks have always been fine. Wider bars are nice, but not really game changing. Some would say dropper posts, but where I ride mostly, I don't mind stopping to drop my saddle. Wheel size? Meh - not a game changer for me, though admittedly, I don't ride the cheater wheels (29ers). Carbon frames? Who cares - Aluminum is fine with me.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    They are down because prices have gotten out of control. Plus the constant changing of standards with those high prices keep people from spending their money. :cautious::bang:

27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Improvement I couldn't live without:

DROPPER POST!

28. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Well I could not find the article from Bicycle Reatailer, but more people are buying bicycles and holding on to them. Unlike this group, most people are holding onto bicycles for longer periods of time.

Also some people do not have the disposable income as they once did and tend to cut out non essentials of their budget. The second hand market is also so vast that many people are looking to buy a reasonably price second hand bike.

Don't forget the big box stores, with their disposable bikes, it is cheaper to buy a new bike every so often than buy a good quality bike once every few years.

There is more to it but check the major manufacturers stocks, they usually are even or going down.

Check out the stocks in this site.

www.bicycleretailer.com

29. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Newish things I like:
    • Aheadset vs. quill stem. Although I think 1-1/8 is fine, no need for taper.
    • Thru axle vs. quick release. Not for performance, just security and peace of mind.
    • Cartridge and external bottom brackets vs. the lock ring kind.
    • Tubeless vs. inner tubes. Hate tubes. For me personally, this is the biggest innovation ever.

Silliness:
    • Disc brakes on road bikes. Why bother.
    • Road bikes that can only fit 28mm tires. Sheesh, just make space for 33mm, it's easy.
    • Press fit bottom brackets. Really, no point in these at all other than faster assembly.
    • 10, 11, and 12 speed drivetrains. I think nine was perfect with two or three rings in front. 1X set ups are kinda' cool though.
    On the fence with Boost... it seems to make sense, as wheels were getting crazy amounts of imbalanced dish due to increasing cassette rings and discs brakes. Maybe more marketing than science though.

UPSed, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    +1 on the pressfit BBs. WHY did those ever come to be?

herzalot likes this.