Indoor Trainers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derek13, Mar 7, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower
    Hello All. Looking for suggestions, experience, or ideas for options for mtb trainers. Boost spacing. To be used in garage so noise not an issue. What do you use or have used in past. Thanks.

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I have a basic Tacx in the garage, it does the job. Its not to loud and the Tacx app connects to Strava if you want to keep track of your mileage. No idea if it does boost but I wouldn't run any of my mtbs on it anyway. Jump on craigslist and get a clunker road bike, set it up with the same position as your mtb chuck a rear tyre on it designed for trainers and wear that out instead of any of your good stuff.

ricke24, Mikie, Derek13 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    As I said in the linked thread, if you want to do it on the lower budget end, get a Kurt Kinetic. New about $350? and $100-$175 generally on Craigslist. That and $75 on Wahoo magnet less speed and cadence sensors will hook you up to TrainerRoad, Sufferfest or Zwift.
    Or, you can spend $600-1500 on a fancy smart trainer that I know little about.
    For tips on that check dcrainmaker.com and check his annual trainer recommendations.

Mikie, OTHRider and UPSed like this.