In the Market for new All Mountain MTB Shoes

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by Mikie, Feb 21, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have finally wore out my Specialized Shoes. Kinda Glad...
    Here is what I like about them.
    1) They were comfy as long as I had the correct insert in them.
    2) They were stiff enough to transfer power to the pedals.

What I didn't like about them:
    1) I hated the two front velcro straps
    2) The one rachet strap closest to my ankle would always come loose by getting caught on rocks and branches when having to hike over stuff
    3) It said the word "Specialized" on it. :eek: (trivial, I know but none the less).

I'm willing to spend $100 to $250 dollars on a good pair of shoes . . . any suggestions?

Thanks awesome ones!

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Shoes are kind of a personal fit thing.

I've had specialized, twice, and liked them a lot but did not seem as durable. The Velcro didn't last. Hz had the same problem with his IIRC. Also, they say specialized... :cry:

Sidi, I had those too a while back. Gave me hot spots I couldn't get rid of. Also on a couple occasions I had plant matter get under the buckle and couldn't get the shoes off w/o spending quite a bit of time clearing it. Not a good fit for me.

I now ride Giro. Specifically the "code". These have full carbon soles, comes with 3 inserts for different arches, are a snug but very comfy fit, molded to my feet great after a few rides. With the full easton carbon EC90 soles the power goes all to the pedals. If I had to give a negative, it's that they are stiff to walk in.
    I did spend 250.00 on them, but Jenson USA has 2013 and 2014 on sale for stupid low prices, well within your budget.

I have two friends that use Pearl Izumi's now. This actually came up in conversation when riding because it was a runner up when I bought to Giros. They both like them a lot. And a common thread was that the toe is made to bend so it's easier to HAB, but the rest of the sole is stiff for power transmission. I didn't buy because the shop didn't have my size in the model I liked.

So, go buy some shoes. If it's like me and MTB shoes, It'll be a hard decision.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I used to use Pearl X-Alp... They were tough, but they felt heavy. When I had to HAB, it felt like I was trying to run in work boots. Maybe it was just me, but I was glad when they started to wear out.

I am now using a cheaper pair of Shimanos matched with Crank Bros. Mallets, and the comfort factor is exponentially better than the Pearls. I could walk in these shoes with no problem... I've only had them a few months, so not sure about the durability yet, but they have been on several long rides with no issues. It's a little funny, considering Pearl is owned by Shimano...

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You do recall correctly, Danimal. You and I were rockin' the same Speshys for a while. Three velcro straps - no buckles. Carbon soles. And yes, I had to stop wearing them because the velcro closures died prematurely. I've had two pairs of shoes that I had to stop wearing for that reason - Pearl Izumis and Specialized.

I took a chance on the Sidi Dominator 5s (on closeout at The Path) because they have the patented plastic teeth embedded in the velcro to hold the brunt of the closure force, rather than relying on the velcro itself. I had read ominous things about the Sidis being too slippery to walk in, too cold and creating hot spots. I have had great luck with mine - longest lasting shoe I've owned and still going strong. Very comfortable. No hot spots. I can walk in them just fine and portage my bike when necessary (though I don't ford many streams on slippery logs or rocks). I have also never worn them into a Starbucks - or any other store for that matter. I've had no issue with shrubbery preventing unclipping, but then again, I don't ride Weed Patch or Tunnels.

Those Giros sound like great shoes Dan.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Mikie, I noticed your thread title says "All Mountain" MTB shoes. Is there something special you're looking for that make the "all mountain" qualifier meaningful or am I just reading too much into it? i.e. do they need steel toes or something? And I think you run clipless so they need to take cleats, right?

A year or so ago I decided to go away from the classic Sidi/XC race type shoe and got some 5-10s that take cleats (I think they are the Raven -[correction, not Raven-they are the Maltese Falcon] model). This was mostly because I was riding some trails that required hiking (ok, I was out of shape and had to HAB allot) and I have a bum ankle with a bunch of hardware in it that doesn't like to be hiked up hills on, especially in shoes that don't flex at least a little, and I have fred flinstone style wide and somewhat short feet. The 5-10s have served me well, but I believe they now have newer/better/lighter versions available... that take cleats.

Good luck in your search, I hate hate hate buying new shoes and will prob use shoo goo and duct tape to keep mine going until they are destroyed. I can always buy a new color of laces to color match with a new bike.

6. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Never tried anything else but I love my Shimano MT53's. Not sure if they make them anymore but they are still available for $60-70 ish all over the net.

Things I like...
    Don't look like normal spd shoes
    They say shimano on them so you know they're good stuff…
    Didn't cost a fortune
    Just high enough so my shoes don't fill with dirt when I dab
    Very comfortable and breath well
    Plenty light
    Run very true to size
    No problem driving with them on
    Easy to walk and HAB with very minimal cleat clicking on the ground. We have wood floors in the house and they have never left a mark.
    Stiff enough for me without being carbon soles and I'm not convinced I'd be any faster with carbon. No hotspots or discomfort on my rides which max out at 25-30 miles.
    Plenty of cleat adjustment as I run my cleats way back

Things I don't like but I can't blame the shoes exactly…
    I get some nasty cleat squeak on long rides. I chased this squeak or creak for a month thinking it was my BB or seat post or seatrails busted ass frame etc and then figured out it was the interface of the cleats and pedals. Not sure how normal this is but I frikin hate squeaks. Simple fix for me has been a drop or two of wax based chain lube on the cleat and pedal interface and Im good to go for a week or so.

For many many years I've worn 6" work boots all day long and anything low rise just feels wrong to me.

I rate them as one of better my MTB purchases. Now that I think about it I should probably order up another pair so when these wear out in another 5+ years I'll have some backups...

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yup. I just bought a pair of the new 5.10s for cleats to use on my DH bike. they are significantly lighter than my older 5.10 Impact Lows.

Not saying this is what Mikie is looking for, but 5.10 has quite a range these days. They also came with an extra set of red laces. Too bad the lettering on my Podium is fluoro green... Oh and they are replacing the white Shimano DXs visible in my Avatar that prompted the Run DMC My A-di-das photoshop. The Shimanos were too short, so g-outs ruined my big toenail. What - TMI? I have the old toenails if anyone wants them!

5-10 Impact XVi.jpg

8. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yeah, I'm glad you caught that, the reason I said that is due to the type of riding I do which mostly is back country all dayers where I'm exploring and doing a lot of hiking to get out of the mess I rode in to. :)

A lot of what you guys have stated fits the bill. I don't mind the stiff soles as I would rather transfer the power to pedal, but that does not translate into a good hiking shoe so thus the thought of what works somewhere in the middle...

XC shoes are light and minimalistic but I found do not wear long.
    What really iritates me are the velcro straps!

I hate buying shoes as well, thus why I thought I would come to the experts! :cool:

9. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I like to avoid the buckle strap - too many tales of breakage. I've had Sidi three strap and Shimano three strap shoes (although not what you are looking for)
    The Shimanos have been very durable, despite multiple dunkings. They are better than the Sidis on rocks.
    Both have been fine for hike a biking, but I'll probably go with Shimanos again for the next purchase.

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Has anyone used/tried the New Shimano SH-M200 Enduro Trail Shoes or are they too new?

http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/us/fw/products/offroad/022sh_m200.php?

This "looks" like exactly like what I am looking for, and for $165 bucks for what Shimano calls a "Top of the Line" seems too good to be true.
    The only reviews I saw that had question for them was getting the right size to fit...

Thoughts?

Shimano-m200-2014-allmountain-shoe.jpg

shimano_sh-m200-shoe.jpg

shimano-SH-M200_F02.jpg

11. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    Giro's Terraduro seems to be getting some good press lately, now that their glue issue's been fixed.

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Looks like a nice shoe to me. I love Shimano shoes. I've yet to wear a pair out. I usually get new ones because I want something new. They also have a 60 day fit guarantee. You have nothing to lose!

13. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Those Shimano's look pretty good Mikie. I am a big fan of their shoes, they fit my feet well and are quite comfortable. I am currently running the M162 model.

71DqEr17dFL._SY355_.jpg

Have you looked at the Mavic shoes? They're pretty Endubro!

mavic-alpine-xl-mens-and-womens-mtb-shoe-2012-e1358785179319.jpg

14. RS VR6

RS VR6 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lee
    Current Bike:
    Banshee Shartfire/Chiner 29r
    Shoes are a hard call to recommend. Just like saddles. Everyones feet are going to be shaped different. I usually go for the stiffest sole I can find. My rides are typically two hours long...so I don't really need shoes that have super durable soles.

I have three pairs of shoes now.

S-Works Trail, Northwave Striker Carbon 5, and a pair of Specialized Comp.

Of the three...I like the Northwave ones. The S-Works are the priciest at 300+...but they just feel too hard on the uppers. The full carbon sole feels good...but the shoe overall does not have the supple feel that the Northwaves have. Also, I don't really like the BOA lacing. They feel like they are either too tight too loose. I can't get them adjusted right. I found that I still prefer the the straps being two velcro on the lower and the upper being ratchet. The sole on the S-Works Trail did have a nice grippy rubber compared to the hard plastic feeling lugs on the Northwave.

Best part of the Northwave is that I got them for 59.99 + shipping on Chainlove. I rectly saw the Giro Code on sale for the same price.

Those hi-top Mavics look real cool.

15. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Good timing on this discussion, for me. My Sidi Dominator 5's are nearing the end. When I picked them out and as I consider a new shoe, it's all about fit. I have narrow and low volume foot and these fit the bill. They have been great over the 3 years I have had them. I have asked a lot of them, between total milage, adventure and HAB rides. I might just get the newer version.
    The Pearl Izumi, X Project seem like an interesting alternative. Need to try them on though.

16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Man! This is good stuff guys. Thanks so much!!!

17. mtbbiker

mtbbiker Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Craig
    I've been on Shimano AM45 for the last 2 months. Bought them from Jensonusa on sale for $70. Unfortunately no longer on sale. These shoes are awesome so far, but not sure how they will be in summer time as they don't have venting like XC shoes. They also use shoe laces which I like since you can replace them easily.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.jensonusa.com/Mens-Footwear/Shimano-SH-AM45-MTB-Shoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jensonusa.com/Mens-Footwear/ ... -MTB-Shoes</a>

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.

That's a good point to consider... I personally would probably not buy another pair of shoes with the "cinch strap" design. I feel like the laces are more "consistent", and I can get the tightness that I prefer with less effort.

19. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    My last pair of Specialized Comp MTB shoes lasted me five years of riding four to five times a week. The velcro on the bottom two straps did get a little weaker, but didn't ever outright fail. Currently riding Specialized Pro MTB. Been on those for two years, and recently broke one of the buckles. Local shop had them in stock. $20 and I'm back in business. I like the Specialized shoes because they have a relatively roomy toe box, so they fit me well.

The only Shimano shoes I have had were road shoes. Didn't take long, and the sole separated from the upper :~/ The toe box wasn't quite as roomy as I would have preferred either.

For an 'all-mountain' shoe, if you would consider another Specialized shoe, the Rime would be the model I would point you toward.

I have also heard good things about the Mavic shoe shown in the previous post.

20. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    This is one reason why I ride platform pedals. Choosing shoes is simple. :D

21. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I find it hard to believe that you "choosing" something bike related is simple..... ;)
    Picking a shoe maybe easy but what about picking the pedal?? I have a feeling you have a spreadsheet or some sort of equations for that! LOL

22. Varaxis

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    It's simple in a relative sense, in which there's either obvious clear superior choices or fewer bad choices. Bad choices are ones in which the designers themselves don't think of "small" things like quick drying time, countering odor from sweating, hike-a-bike performance, etc. For platform pedals, 5.10s are so much superior over everything else at their price point (not even considering sale and outlet prices). Choosing from their line was a matter of style. I have 2 pairs that I choose from.

Pedals aren't too hard either. You can look at "bushings" vs full size bearings, axle geometry (diameter, length, taper), the surface finish on the axle, manufacturing process, what causes creaking, resistance in the form of friction vs adhesion, the different platform materials, the effect of the # of pins and how long they are, platform geometry, stance width (Q factor), etc., but many of these you can't even examine without taking the pedals apart. Coming up with a few preferences, there's a surprisingly small pool of options that would match. I like thin pedals, with about 6-8 studs/pins per side that thread in from the back, which are durable, light, and affordable. I pretty much had only 2 choices left, and I bought both since I have more than 1 bike.

The problem is how brands start from a 2D drawing that "looks nice", then try to make it work, pack in features, then prototype, and then try to address issues that appeared in the testing phase, which was done in a convenient location (maybe even indoors) during whatever time of year (probably avoiding winter outdoors), and then stripping/minimizing features when trying to finalize the design-for-manufacturing to pass off to the contract manufacturer when "it's good enough" to sell and see a profit. They don't care for much besides creating something to make money off of, that doesn't cost much to develop. They just need 1 clever gimmick to differentiate itself from the competition to successfully market it, that consumers can "align" themselves with.

23. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Mikie, I think you ended up with these M200 shoes, correct? Can you give a honest review for someone who is about to do their most likely last shoo goo treatment on their current shoes and may need to get replacements soon?

24. pachaven

pachaven Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    A bunch of them!!!
    I've had the M200 for about four months now I they have been better than I expected. They give you more room to move the cleats closer to the center of your foot. I also like that the inside of the shoe has a raised ankle guard. I was hitting my ankle on the crank arm when I was DHing. The last thing I like is the great grip when you have to hike a bike.. Al in all GREAT SHOES

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    pachaven nails it.
    On a scale of 1 to 5

Comfort: Solid 5
    These are awesome shoes. I rode nearly 50 miles a day for three straight days on the Kokopelli Trip in them and forgot I had feet. I could go out to dinner in these baby's!

Durability: 5 (up to now)
    I tried to dremmel the sole to tilt my Speedplay cleat just a little further and it took me quite a while. The bottom's still look new less a few scuff's from big rock hits. The laces are a drawtight system then covered with a flap, NO VELCRO for straps! Rachet so far works flawless.

Performance: 5
    Paul is right about the raised ankle guard. At first I thought it was going to bug me but have never thought about it since. They have taken a couple of hits from my cranks indicated by some slight scuffs. That would be my ankle otherwise. Easy to hike-a-bike in yet stiff sole for power transfer to the pedal. I don't know how they got the best of both worlds there...
    Another thing... I was just up on Golden Eagle and it's overgrown with fox tails. My Specialized shoes needed about a 30 minute de-weeding. The Shimano's absolutely no fox tail removal. The breather mesh above the toes is so fine that foxtails could not penetrate, and since the hidden laces are thin tightly weaved nylon drawn tight with a cinch and then covered, there is no access for weeds.

I rarley praise a product like this, but this has been one of the best purchases I have made in a long time. TIme will tell how long they will last but for now I am VERY impressed!

26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I like Lake shoes a lot. Leather uppers and Vibram soles are good combos for me. They're relatively heavy, at least the model I have. But well build and last forever. Great customer service when I needed an extra buckle. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.lakecycling.com/shoes/mx167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lakecycling.com/shoes/mx167</a>

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?