In Other News

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by -ROCKY-, Nov 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Ditto that setup:thumbsup:

2. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    If you don’t come unclipped from your Shimano pedals then you’re not crashing hard enough...:Roflmao:confused::rolleyes: Like a couple others I prefer mine cranked down a bit. Coming unclipped unexpectedly usually ends bad but somehow when I need it my feet always unclip automatically.

rossage, UPSed, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Speaking only for myself - 'cause, can't speak for anyone else - riding in sandals just doesn't seem right. I prefer my toes in one, concise, intimate group. Not spread all over creation. :gag:

Mikie, Redman, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Cool that you have such quiet feet - but a loose SPD feels NOTHING like a good flat pedal. To me, a loose SPD feels like standing on ice. Move very gingerly - and for God's sake don't rotate your hips or use some body English, or throw your bike a little sideways in the air! And if you do come out, there is next to ZERO traction for your shoe. I am impressed that you all can ride with such finesse. I guess I'm just an oaf.

One question - why do you want them that loose? Do you have troubles unclipping if they are tighter?

UPSed, Mikie, Redman and 4 others like this.
  5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    If I was Revel I'd be pissed about that head tube badge. I know I mentioned this in another thread, and I'm sorry if I'm in violation of the IMTB code of ethics by saying this, but aesthetically I think that thing looks rad. If I lived in a place where scooters were used regularly for transport, I'd totally rock that thing. Come at me, bro.

rossage, DangerDirtyD, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I would only come at you with my (second hand) inside knowledge of Tony Ellsworth and his practices. I would buy 5 Specializeds before giving Tony a dime.

rossage, UPSed, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I'm guessing it's a 5-figure "bike" as well. Luckily this will be a moral crossroads I never have to navigate, but good to know :thumbsup:.

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Don't feed the troll, Chris.

Instead, have a DH race. (Heal up first, though.) An honest time trial will do. Settle it like men.

PS: Smellsworthy rips off Revel logo, makes perfect sense.

rossage, herzalot, UPSed and 4 others like this.
  9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    IMO cleat retention is relevant to rider weight. The heavier the rider, the tighter your cleats. I have my tension backed all the way out, as loose as can be. Tried tightening down all the way. I could get in no problem. But, I couldn’t get out. I had to unlace the shoe and unclip by hand.

herzalot, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  10. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Ahh herz, after your golf post I was thinking how much I miss the game and how I need to make time for it, was also thinking that you obviously must be an all around good athlete with all the sports you have been into like surfing , skiing and whatever else? Come on, far from an oaf, and at 6’ what 5”?
    As for why so loose? Unclipping without impediment is important to me, I also mostly keep my wheels on the ground, I guess I’m really aware of my feet, split seconds count, but seldom do I come out of my clips, if I do my foot can still find the pedal , but it does happen, was jumping a couple of months ago and came out and was lucky I did not break my leg! And my thought about coming out of a binding on a ski is far worse than coming out of a clip on a pedal, when you are out you are out on a ski. Came out of my binding at Mt. High back in the day, got a free gurney ride down the mountain in a pool of blood from that same binding hitting me in the head! But that is why I have run these same pedals for about 3 bikes, all battered and broken in, but still just enough pedal to hang on to in an emergency.
    But these posts have made me realize I need new ones before they just fall off!
    Was not trying to pick a fight or say how awesome I actually am. :)

70EDC10F-A35C-475C-93C9-DD9ECA97A446.jpeg

11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @hillybilly I feel the same about riding clipless. The less tension, the better! Popping out like a ninja!

Robbie, mike, Voodoo Tom and 3 others like this.
  12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I run my pedals loose. Maybe two three clicks from the bottom. I like the float I perceive from that. I ran Frogs for 20 years with zero tension and only gave up on them because I kept braking the cleats.
    I think everyone’s preference is unique, just like everything else about cycling equipment. I know on several occasions now I was slow to adapt on new or other concepts and equipment.

I was hard set on Rock and Roll Gold for chain lube. I razzed and teased and defended it. I just switched to Dumond. Probably the best move related to chain lube because my imtb buds highly recommended it.

My preferences are not necessarily someone else’s and that’s another layer of what makes this sport so awesome! Otherwise we would run out of stuff to talk about on a MTB Forum.

Bike on!

rossage, Danimal, mike and 7 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

After I broke my ankle, I loosened up the retention a little bit thinking it'd be safer and easier with my lack of ROM and weak muscles......however after a few months, I found myself making them tighter and tighter. I'm 1-2 clicks from full lock. Only time I have issues is when I ride in the mud.

mike, Mikie, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Pedals only need to be loose enough to allow the pilot to disengage at whatever that personal comfort level is, right? :thumbsup:

Stkx66, herzalot, mike and 1 other person like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Sorry, that was not my intent.

CBone, mike and herzalot like this.
  16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

And my personal comfort level is no float locked in. ;)

Faust29, mike, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  17. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    My right knee appreciated the little bit of freedom you get in crank brothers. Then the ball of my left foot started giving me fits and I switched to flats... the rest of me sorely misses SPD.

18. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Not that it matters since I'm not tough like you guys, but I used to ride clipless when I needed to keep up with a group and kept the tension in the middle ranges. Now, I just ride with my wife, use flats and saunter happily along.

19. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    A new set of high end Bonocs for star gazing etc... Oberwerk 15x70

My what big Bonocers you have!

IMG_20200807_222908.jpg

Faust29, Mikie, heyitsdave and 6 others like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Nice Keens.

Mikie and bvader like this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I pretty much live in them

22. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I do not know my tension, it has been decades since I set them up. I do make them a little tighter if I get a pre-release. I think the last one was on Hummingbird last year. But I do lubricate them once the release becomes sticky. They seem to get sticky with that ocean bottom clay. Not too much but after climbing the moon dust on the Baleen wall or the cement dust on the back side of Happy camp they will stick. I cannot ride without my SPD's, it is too dangerous. . I have a saying, do not fix what is not broken, you introduce new failure modes that were not expected. I am a troubleshooter, you would be amazed at how many failures are caused by the simplest things.
    Happy trails

Faust29, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  23. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
  24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Faust29, Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  25. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
  26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Saw Jupiter plus The 4 Gallilean Moons tonight... pretty cool / mind blowing a mere 390 meeeelllion miles

Faust29, Mikie, tick and 3 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I need a vacation by coming back to work... o_O
    I took Thursday off and probably have logged 60 hours working on the remodel of our house for market over the weekend. Cathy and I feel like slave labor to ourselves.
    What do you call going back to your job, to catch a physical break?

29. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    So did I. I'm not a fan of his and I couldn't help but think this is karma for all his douchebaggary.

Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  30. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz

Faust29, herzalot and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?