In Other News

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by -ROCKY-, Nov 26, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    They couldn't do this a few years ago before we paid off the wife's student loan in a lump sum..... Oh but no that'd be too convenient.

Faust29 and Danmtchl like this.
  2. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Oh well!

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    You sound jealous and jaded. Perhaps if you switched to a local government (or maybe state government) position where your skills would be properly remunerated, AND you could participate in the CalPERS debacle, you'd be less unhinged.

Just a thought.

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Just because there is a hole doesn't mean it makes sense for people to jump into it. Also, I'm not jealous of people who bite the hand that feeds them. They don't have my respect, for what its worth. I shrug my shoulders and say "oh well" because while my mental state may range in volatility, it is healthy nonetheless.

Do you have any RFPs coming down the pipeline?:geek:

Faust29, Cornholio, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  5. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    We had two of these in the shop today!!

6. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Not to mention getting a degree that you actually were able to use for that whole career/job thing. Those whose chose underwater basket weaving as a major will find it difficult to not only pay back their loans but also finding a job in the first place. Then it’s our fault they can’t make ends meet after pulling $200k in loans.

It’s like people who buy timeshares and then complain about them being scams. You should know what you are signing up for and have a plan in place to ensure it makes sense. The amount of “students” I saw throughout college that just lived off of loans was insane and most of the types that were doing this weren’t exactly students of cum laude level, in fact most of the ones who didn’t work and lived off of loans were lazy and poor performing academically. Perhaps some foreshadowing into their future?

Luckily I only graduated with $30k in loans after going to an out of state private school, thanks to often having 2-3 jobs to pay for my rent and living expenses in Boston. Paid those off within my first 7 years working after graduation. I’m not miffed at loan forgiveness because I do think the system sucks, I’m more concerned with the knee jerk reaction that people have to blame their failures on everyone else. Especially when they are in mostly in pajamas throughout college.

Derkderkall, Faust29, Danimal and 6 others like this.
  7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I didn't bother going to college. 12 years of schooling was enough. Seriously though, I just didn't know what I wanted to do. After several years of this and that, I found my way to UPS. It's definitely not for everyone but it's pretty much my own business with no overhead, great pay, benefits and a pension. And I don't own anybody anything.

8. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    I rode an E-bike. Four levels of boost and - a twist grip throttle. Not a mtb but it was interesting to try it out. Not a big fan of the way the power kicks in suddenly when pedaling.
    It was too small for me but even with the right size still I don’t think I would feel comfortable riding full speed. Not stable feeling at all. Kind of disconcerting that a lot of people with little experience are riding these things.
    Oh - and like many - I ended up using the throttle more than half the time.
    I’ll sick with my unplugged mtb.0187524B-0D8C-4BC9-B1E5-94DB68E0F6A3.jpeg

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have one in the garage, and have only tested it without the battery (after a brake upgrade). I'm trying to remain pure. :laugh:

10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The temptation to know will win one day.... :laugh:

Danmtchl and buggravy like this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The only other bike Ive seen here today was an e-bike. :facepalm::bang::mad:o_O:rolleyes:

tick, Danmtchl, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  13. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    “Strictly prohibits..,”:Roflmao

Danmtchl, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  14. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    So no bobcats, but tanks are okay.

15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Forget it. Can't do anything fun there.

16. solislbc

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    I’ve have hired millennials. They tell me about all of their adventures. The fancy restaurant they eat at, the exotic vacations they take. The 400 dollar sneakers they buy.

My issue with this program is that it emboldens these young adults to further entitlement. Many of these degrees they took loans out for are useless. I ate sandwiches and top ramen for two years after I graduated in order to make rent and pay for my bills. I chose to defer the experiences and luxuries I have now in order to responsibly pay my debt off. after all, I signed up for it.

Kids today are about instant gratification and showing off on instagram. Many will never learn to make due on their commitments. This just makes that situation much more likely in my opinion. Always looking for bail outs.

17. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Uh huh...and like bill Clinton, I never inhaled...:whistling:

Danmtchl and Old&InTheWay like this.
  18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    But how did you look in the sun glasses? :cool:

Danmtchl likes this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I inhaled. So what?

Danmtchl likes this.
  20. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Isn't the forgiveness limited to $10k per student? That's a small fraction of what a lot of students owe. Most are not exactly getting off the hook.

Want to reduce student debt going forward? Fix the way higher education is funded and paid for so students can't go as far into debt.

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    But who will pay for the football team then?

22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    upload_2022-10-19_7-55-50.png

23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
  24. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Pay the college coaches the same and NOT more than the teachers, which is as it should be.

It'll save a lot of money that can go to reducing costs for the students.

25. solislbc

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    End of the day, students are de facto adults signing up for that debt for a degree that’s not worth the paper it’s printed on.

What do some of these graduates expect to do with some of these degrees? Maybe teach and feed a perpetual mill of misguided info to the next batch? A bunch of feel good BS if you ask me.

I’d be pissed too if I owed 100k for something worth 20 bucks an hour.

Danmtchl and Obsidian like this.
  26. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    If they disbanded NCAA football, it would actually take money away from the universities. The division 1 football programs are a gold mine for the universities.

mtbMike, herzalot, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  27. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Not as much as most people think.
    Only the top programs truly profit.
    They do send some money back to the athletic departments to help out the non revenue sports.
    They do tend to spend all they bring in.
    As an example, many teams spend more than they receive in a bowl game to go to the bowl games.
    Air freighting entire weight rooms is something I have seen done.

herzalot, tick, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  28. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    In other news... It's Hot

29. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    A lot of school’s athletic program are separate from the school itself. They make their money from donors, tv revenue and sponsorships. A good example would a UCLA, they are moving to the Big10 because of the revenue they can generate. They are losing $100 million per yer while being in the PAC-12.

Football and basketball are the main revenue generators for most schools and that money trickles down to the Olympic sports. If UCLA didn’t move, most sports would have been cut.

herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Football makes money for the very best D1 programs with TV deals, and for small time programs where kids pay full tuition for the privilege. For everyone else it’s a pretty marginal proposition. No wonder Fullerton & LB bailed on football, and Irvine made a point to never have it, way back in the 60s.

The Mexicans have it figured out. In Liga MX, UANL, UNAM, and BUAP play completely pro teams with zero attachment to the school besides the name. In other words, just like the SEC…

herzalot, mtnbikej and Faust29 like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?