imtbtrails Survey: How Do YOU Percieve imtbtrails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikie, May 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

Which best describes imtbtrails to You?

1. A mixed bag of mountainbikers that provides a wide range of ride opportunities and subjects

2. A hardcore group of mountain bikers that provides exclusively intense ride opportunities

3. This is everything I was looking for

4. I'm hoping for more

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Chime in on the banter. It's not all about posting rides, or potential rides, or even where the rides are. It's also about your bike, what you have done/would like to do to your bike, where you'd like to ride if you could, telling @mtnbikej and @Faust29 they're crazy for the rides they do :Roflmao

Just generally chime in. We'd like to hear from you. And all the others who think they don't have anything to contribute. You actually do.:thumbsup:

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It's super easy. You don't even have to have anything meaningful or bike-related to say.

See?! :thumbsup:

3. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    As the poster-child for that, I take a bow!! Thanks for pointing that out. :sneaky:

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I meant me, but if the foo shits...

5. tortoise

tortoise Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
  6. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll use this guy @Mtbikept as an example (I always read his sn as "Mt Bike Ept," which is way better than Mt Bike Inept...)

Member since 2014, and hasn't posted once.

Dude, speak up. You have things to contribute.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And he even has a cool avatar picture... Looks like it might have been taken in Oregon? I bet there's a story there...

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Contribute what you can.....if that means ride reports, tech talk, bikes, stoke, passion.....you have a voice, use it. :thumbsup:

9. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    IME, the life blood for the long haul in any cycling group is bringing new riders. If you don't have them, one by one all but a few core members hang on until the bitter end. If you want sustained participation, not to mention growth, you must court the newer riders.

It can be a double edged sword since you have to have rides that attract them to step out of the shadows, and those rides are not always the bread and butter of seasoned riders. The goal of those rides isn't necessarily awesome riding or a shred-fest. The goal is FUN. Period. If you make it fun, people will want to return. Lots of relationships are formed from those rides, and those in turn lead to other riding opportunities.

The Big Bear ride we had a couple years ago is a decent example of that, even though it was a bit of a drive. The turnout was excellent, there were options for different skill and fitness levels and plenty of regroups. That might not be the way everyone wants to ride most of the time, but again, the ride itself is not the primary mission of such rides IMHO.

Sometimes a ride like the 'vintage' rides I have attended a the FLoop have been well attended and a lot of fun when everyone embraces such a theme. Night rides, gravel/all-surface rides, camping trips, and (gasp) even road rides are fun (there's that word again) occasionally too.

I am not implying that there is any real level of snobbery going on here (being quite sincere about that), but this does tend to be a generally more experienced group here, and that might be a tad intimidating for those looking to dab a toe in the water to do a heat check.

Maybe having a Newbie/Beginner forum might be a way to get new members comfortable enough to post up. Experienced forum users know that they are likely to get the same questions about which $600 MTB they should get, but that is where patience and a welcoming vibe eventually pays off.

As always, JMHO.

10. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I don't have anything useful to add, but thanks for thinking I do!

I like this site, and should really join more group rides. Used to seek them out and really enjoy it. But life has taken some interesting and dramatic turns in the last few years and my focus has been elsewhere. That's not to say riding 2-4 times a week has changed though. Thats been my therapy.
    Once the next 6 weeks are past I'll actually make a effort join some of the posted rides within my comfort zone.
    With virtually no exceptions, all the Mtb group rides I've joined have been very welcoming, encouraging and friendly, not only on this forum. Another forum I was on would post road rides I join and within a few miles into the ride they're gone never to be seen again.

iMtbtrails is very welcoming, although might be a little rough on the very beginning newbs. By the time you get here I think you need to have developed the passion and at least a small knowledge of riding.

11. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And purty much spot on...

I'm very much one of those who doesn't worry overmuch what others think of him (What???). Many people, though, are hesitant to participate in what looks like a closed, clique-ish tribal unit. I can see how we would seem that way to some.

I know we all think we're welcoming. Maybe we need to think about how we appear to those on the outside looking in. Any one of those who think they're on the outside want to set us straight? Here's the chance, and we honestly won't bite. Really. Tell us what you think.

12. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Mikie I like your idea of maybe breaking things down into categories, not as much as MTBR though. For example I don't really care to read(don't take anything personal here) about death marches, or the floop, BUT some people do. With a sub group you could instantly go to everything related to death marches or the floop, without having to click on "I rode my bike today" and passover those things that you don't care to read about. And for those that post alot in one area you can look at their posts in that sub group or category.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Do new members get an email when they register? Perhaps a link to "Say Hello" should be included in that email.

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Well most Death Marches don't end up in "I Rode My Bike".....they usually get their own Ride Report. Easy enough to pass over if you don't wanna read.

MTBR has 10 of 1000's more members and is worldwide....and even that site has way too many sub forums.

I agree....the FLoop doesn't interest me, so I generally just skip that thread. Easy enough to do.

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The fact that there is a FLoop subforum to ignore should be enough demarcation for anyone. :rolleyes::cool:

16. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I like this idea. I too have a $600 MTB which I take on 6-mile rides, mostly in Arroyo Trabuco in the OC. And if anybody except me makes fun of the Newbie/Beginner forum, you get sent a photo of me on the beach!

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I can help make the FLoop forum page more funner? :sneaky:

18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I didn't pick an answer, but 1 would be the closest. Originally I think I was looking for good advice on local riding. I stuck around because there is a sense of community here, that many online forums just don't maintain anymore.

I can resonate with what others have already said as well... As @mtbMike said, riding for fun in the woods or nature is my main draw of the sport, as well as the aspect of keeping fit and healthy. Not about banging out huge climbs, or shredding gnarly downhills... somewhere in between.

As far as group rides, most of my rides I have a general idea of when and where I want to ride.. but timing is harder lately with a young family, so rather than flake or leave someone waiting around I just go solo. This also means I usually stick to the 3 or 4 rides that are close proximity. I can't justify spending part of my relatively small riding window time sitting in the hellacious traffic for an hour.

Maddog, Mikie, kioti and 8 others like this.
  19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    @Sidewalk, wtf, man, blow it off, come back and bring your stoke with you :cool:

Tom the Bomb, scan, Maddog and 6 others like this.
  20. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    The only thing this forum is missing is E-bikes

Tom the Bomb, tick, Maddog and 4 others like this.
  21. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    ...and thank goodness for that. By far the most contentious subject on other MTB websites.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, kioti and 5 others like this.
  22. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    The results are skewed to the "happy" 40 or so that regularly post here.
    For real insight, you'd need the others to vote, dontcha think?
    Kinda like preachin' to the choir?

23. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Just like the rest of democracy... you don't vote, you don't get to complain.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Mikie, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    And this one.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  26. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    Pretty disappointed that the Pain is Temporary post is being rehashed when this is about making this sight better. Not sure how that its going to help the process. My comment earlier was an attempt to open peoples eyes on being negative or piling on. Sometimes its just better to not say anything at all. I am pretty thick skinned but really struggle with the must destroy people attitude this world has at the moment. We all say and do Sh!t in our lives that we regret. Now if that action is repeated then said person or business will do themselves in anyway without the help of the peanut gallery.
    Keeping it light and fun makes for a better environment.

Faust29, Luis, scan and 9 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Everyone take a sedative and go ride your bikes! Remember this is the happy place, ha hah!

I'm not planning on going door to door. I can't count how many times I have opened the door of opportunity for lurkers to chime in.

Note: Just checked. 83 members have logged on in the last 4 hours.

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I guess I just can't post this enough....

b8861e359559618f80ca1c56064a057c.jpg

29. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    A young Robin Williams clip, classic cheesy stuff. May be a little relevant to this thread, or not, depending on your imagination. But if you are as old as I am, and have the attention span... this 8-9 minute clip will put a smile on your face. RIP RW.

Faust29, Fueledbyex8, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Which leads to one of my favorite all-time videos:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?