IMTB Rides the Cheese

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by buggravy, Oct 16, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Well I take a spiritual/philisophical view on things like this. This is a cool story.

Once there was an old man who lived in a tiny village. Although poor, he was envied by all, because horse-300x232.jpghe owned a beautiful white horse. People offered fabulous prices for the horse, but the old man always refused. “This horse is a friend, not a possession,” he would respond.

One morning the horse was not in the stable. All the villagers said, “You old fool. We told you someone would steal that beautiful horse. You could at least have gotten the money. Now the horse is gone, and you’ve been cursed with misfortune.”

The old man responded, “Perhaps. All I know is that my horse is gone; the rest I do not know. Whether it be a curse or a blessing, I can’t say.”

After fifteen days the horse returned. He hadn’t been stolen; he had run away into the forest. Not only had he returned, he had brought a dozen wild horses back with him. Once again the village people gathered around the old man and said, “You were right – what we thought was a curse was a blessing. Please forgive us.” The old man responded, “Perhaps. Once again you’ve gone too far. How do you know if this is a blessing or a curse? Unless you can see the whole story, how can you judge?” But the people could only see the obvious. The old man now had twelve additional horses that could be broken and sold for a great deal of money.

The old man had a son, an only son. He began to work with the wild horses. Unfortunately, after just a few days, he fell from a horse and broke both his legs. Once again the villagers gathered around the old man and said, “You were right. The wild horses were not a blessing; they were a curse. Your only son has broken his legs and now in your old age you have no one to help you. You are poorer than ever.” But the old man said,“ Perhaps. Don’t go so far. Say only that my son broke his legs. We have only a fragment of the whole story.”

It so happened that a few weeks later the country went to war with a neighboring country. All the young men of the village were required to join the army. Only the son of the old man was excluded, because he had two broken legs. Once again the people gathered around, crying because there was little chance their sons would return. “You were right, old man. Your son’s accident was a blessing. Our sons are gone forever.”

The old man spoke again. “You people are always quick to jump to conclusions. Only God knows the final story.”

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    ^^^ "Maybe, maybe not" is a solid life philosophy.

Or is it?

mike, Luis, mountaingirl sara and 4 others like this.
  3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Good perspective. In a roundabout way I've been coming back to a similar train of thought. I have felt sort of out of balance lately, or maybe more accurately, pulled in a lot of directions. Between work, family, and the things I love to do, I feel like all haven't been getting the attention that I want to give them, and it is something I've been looking for some clarity on. Perhaps this is the universe doing for me what I could not, or was not willing to do for myself, and this is the time to hustle at work and be a facilitator at home. Family time for us has also involved a lot of active outdoor stuff, which muddies those waters, but my daughter is on a competitive dance team for the first time this year, and has been stressed out about missing rehearsals for snow trips. I suppose that bitter pills can still contain necessary medicine.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Would someone please confirm for me and others whether or not this ride is still happening.

@SnakeCharmer said it should be postponed and then posts in "Who is Riding Where" for a Saturday ride.
    @UPSed said it should go on as scheduled.
    @buggravy says he will be there at the trailhead to see everybody.
    @mountaingirl sara says she heard it's not happening and is tentatively making other plans

Please clarify.

5. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Go if you'd like. It sounds like some were going to ride there already anyway. I only stated that we should postpone the ride as a @buggravy hosted group ride. I may go too but it's gonna be a warm one that day so I will start earlier, perhaps 7:30-8:00 to beat the heat. I prefer to ride in cool temps.

mountaingirl sara, mike and Faust29 like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So it's no longer a hosted, guided, official IMTB ride that matches the Trailhead invite.

@buggravy or @Mikie - could you change the invite then?

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I still plan on going and would prefer an earlier start time myself. Either way it should be confirmed whether it's happening or not.

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The official ride is postponed. But The Cheese is never off limits. Enjoy! :cool:

Stkx66, mountaingirl sara and mike like this.
  9. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I think we’re in a who’s-on-first situation here. I just took the ride off of the calendar since it’s up in the air, and I don’t feel I’m in a position to make the call on something I’m not going to participate in any way. How about everyone speak up who wants to continue the ride, and someone volunteer to be the point person. I’ll amend the the start time in the ride details as/if needed. As mentioned before, if the ride still happens I will be at the trailhead, likely on both ends of the ride.

10. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Nope. I ride it all the time.
    Fresh-cheddar-cheese-1.png

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Extra sharp cheddar? Or one of those dainty girly French cheeses?

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Sharp. Always sharp.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Gangsters still run the show from prison, so you can still lead the ride from your treatment facility. :cool::D

PS: @buggravy, I was thinking I should LYK that I was not trying to make light of your situation, then I realized that's exactly what I was trying to do!!!! :gotnothing::geek: Try to take it in stride, my friend. People who don't do anything never get hurt. Poorly engineered joints + active life + aging... you gonna be in the system at some point, never a convenient time, but sure as sht you will be back and realize in hindsight that it's just another pothole in the road. Cheers, doggie! :)

15. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Extra extra sharp!

16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lol:Roflmao

Stkx66, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    High class cheese......
    0_F6m6hRR.JPG.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.jpg

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    "Gettin' crazy with the CheezWhiz..." (Song and artist please)

19. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Beck "Where it's at"

Prize????

20. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Bzzzzzzt

It’s “Loser” loser. :p

Luis, herzalot, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  21. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    giphy.gif

Luis, herzalot, Oaken and 4 others like this.
  22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Since nobody piped up I'm taking the seemingly unnecessary step of cancelling the ride, just for avoidance of doubt. Obviously you all know each other, and with the talk of possibly still riding but at a different time, I'll leave it to you all to coordinate that amongst yourselves. If a group of you do the ride, be it Saturday, or a different day, please let me know and I'll come hang on at least one end of things.

23. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Sorry to read about the bad news Gravy.
    Just went under the knife last week for a torn meniscus. I’m currently in the ER due to a clot scare (but no biggie, I’ll be out soon today) and decided to search “meniscus” for insight from others.
    Hope things turn out well for you and that you’ll be back riding soon. :thumbsup:

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Insight: If you gotta damage something, do it to something that can heal on its own like a bone or a muscle. Something with blood flow. Cartilage is a bad choice. They just trim it away and hope for the best. My buddy, my age, just got a knee replaced for that reason.

Ligaments, tendons and muscles protect your meniscus from damage. So, those things getting damaged or out of shape can lead to meniscus damage.

@Oaken, I'm being a little snarky with after-the-fact advice, but just to say that prevention is everything for meniscus health. Good luck with the preservation! I’m there with ya.

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Nope. Loser.

"Soy un Perdedor..."

mike, mountaingirl sara and mtnbikej like this.
  26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks man, I really appreciate the well wishes. Same to you!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?