Impaled

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Oaken, Oct 1, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I was channel surfing and saw a title of a show called “I was Impaled”.
    So I bit, and checked it out.
    There was a vignette about a lady who tripped in her yard and got a wrought iron hook through her eye socket into her brain. Pretty gross, but it just missed a big brain artery by millimeters and she not only survived, but maintained most of her vision.
    I was going to move on (Jeopardy!), but then they teased for the next segment after the commercial “New Zealander Kevin Mayer on the other hand, understood the risks involved every time he rode his mountain bike on treacherous trails.....”
    So I hit record and came back to it later.
    It was a nice segment about a typical obsessed rider, showing his wife rolling her eyes at his obsession, and showing him riding on some beautiful, lush, forested New Zealand trails. Some exaggeration - “you can get to 100 kmh=60 mph” :rolleyes:
    It had him stating “I thought it was going to be a lame crash”.
    On the last run of the day, he took a dive, and impaled himself on the brake lever. From below the wrist, through his palm.
    They detached the hose, and took him to the hospital with the whole lever still impaled.
    Surgery removed it, and the lever was restored to the bike (yea!). He is back to riding.

My impalements have been:
    -stepping on a nail and having it go through my shoe as a kid
    -yucca spike from chantry in my shin. I STILL have a bump there many years later. I suspect there is a bit still there.
    -a backwards pointing branch that hit my biceps on a ride, and then bowed until the tension got too great and it threw me and the bike sideways and down. I still have a good scar there.

and you?

mike, Danimal, bvader and 7 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Scary stuff.
    I remember meeting a guy at the Floop years ago- a friend of a friend who said he'd taken a year off the bike after his stem caught his, uh, fellas and torn the soft flesh during an otb.
    That story gave me nightmares.

Oaken, Danimal, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Manzanita spikes and cholla cactus. That cactus effed up my hand for about a year... felt like arthritis in my hand and just couldn't close it tightly. Good times.

This wasn't that memorable event, but you get the idea...

46591550864_60c3678d78_c.jpg

OTHRider, Oaken, mike and 11 others like this.
  4. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    Bummer. I read something about riding in AZ (Phoenix/Tucson) and they recommended carrying an afro pick to remove cholla.

mike, Faust29, Obsidian and 2 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Those things are nasty... a pick and some tweezers, or maybe needle-nosed pliers are needed!

Sasquatch9billion and Faust29 like this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    One of my friends is a PA. So of course she carries a stitch kit with her, right? Oh, also an a distance runner. She impaled herself with something cactus related while out on a run (before I met my GF). Pulled out her kit, removed the item with a scalpel, then sewed her wound closed. Of course, then finished her run.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I too have had the common impalings, such as nails, cholla, bee stingers, yata, yata, yata.

I witnessed @Faust29 get impaled several times yesterday by those lovely yuccas on our ride.

8. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Looks like you got a mutant Tribble on your arm there.

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Mirror universe tribble!

10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Blue Agave Needle ... Deep into the arm... PCE Of Course!

mike likes this.
  11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    OUCH!

12. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    My impalements have been quite lame but the best I saw was actually in NZ when on the national tour. A bloke in the downhill race had a good stack and taught everyone there the importance of having the ends of your bars covered. The medical crew at this race were volunteers from St Johns Ambulance. Two lovely old ladies sitting in their tent knitting away. Bloke comes back from the hospital and these two grandmas are getting him to take the dressing off to inspect the gaping hole in his side :Roflmao

I would see 70-80 km/h on my giant hardtail in the mid 90's so I'd quite easily believe 100 is possible in some spots on dirt in NZ on todays modern machines.

mike, Oaken, Danimal and 1 other person like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?