I'm going to buy a Walmart Mountain Bike.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -ROCKY-, Sep 30, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @-ROCKY- If you are the right size and you don't take up @hill^billy on his offer to buy a Specialized Pitch for $500, you are beyond saving!

That said - don't buy a bike that's the wrong size no matter how good a deal it is.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I don't know... How can you pass up a deal like these two? :p Shimano, durable and high performance!

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Don't confuse the man...

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

The hardtail is good for one trip up Black Star. As long as one does not wish to ride back down.

The FS won't even do that.

5. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Holy cow guys. I've never received such a warm welcome, thanks again. I'm soo glad I decided to come and ask questions. I have a better idea of what I should consider, and where to look. Thanks for mentioning pink bike @kioti , @Cyclotourist , I wasn't familiar. Also @Cyclotourist and @herzalot thanks for mentioning "shifty bits" lol. I had a cheap 10 speed when I was a kid that gave me nothing but problems trying to go through the gears, I remember it was soo frustrating, I never rode it, so I'll definitely bone up on shifty bits lol. I also appreciate you guys letting me know what you have available, thanks @rossage , and @hill^billy ! @herzalot mentioned size, I'm heavy now, but part of the reason I'm here is the fitness aspect, so that will go down. Currently I'm 5'10 240. I think a medium would suit me? I haven't sat on a bike with 29s, I have a feeling they might feel big? The Pitch @hill^billy mentioned has me drooling honestly.

6. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

:cry::cry:
    Unfortunately the bike is a small so doesn’t sound like the right bike for you :cry:. I hope you find what you are looking for and I brings joy and stoke for the sport. The rest just kind of happens.

7. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
  8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    29er would be great size for you. at 5 10' .. no issues.. the frame is the key... size small would not work...

9. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    22' Nomad, 22' Trance x 29
    I want to preface this by saying I'm not only a fanboi of the path bike shop, but I am also semi associated with them. That being said, I'd suggest heading down there to talk to them about a few of the bikes they have on clearance. They are right around your budget and the path is a super helpful bike shop. As people have stated, used will potentially net you a better bike, however that process can be fraught with pitfalls. There are a lot of bikes out there that are hammered and it's not out of the question to buy a 500 dollar bike that needs 200-300 dollars worth of drivetrain and suspension service.

For that reason, I'd suggest getting a good very inexpensive bike from a major brand and riding that until it holds you back and selling it. Resist the temptation to do major upgrades to it and just change the little things like handlebars, stem, grips, pedals. That way, if you get bit by the MTB bug (you will, this is like crack) you can move that bike you bought down the road for a 100-200 dollar loss max, and you'll have the knowledge and network to either buy used and not get a stinker, or you'll divert all funds and buy your dream bike.

Check out the following options.
    http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/sales/clearance/mountain-bikes/item/kona-lava-dome
    http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/sales/clearance/mountain-bikes/item/kona-mahuna
    http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/sales/clearance/mountain-bikes/item/kona-mahuna-blem-2

These are modest bikes, but they will come with real parts and will have a warranty. Definitely something that can be worth it for your first bike. Before long you'll become so addicted that you could build your own bike from a pile of parts, until then, learn the ropes in a controlled environment.

10. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I love kona's .. umm..

11. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    My first real mountain bike was a kona-- a hardtail like @Ebruner linked to. I loved that bike and rode everything on it. It was a great bike to start out on and @-ROCKY- a hardtail will help you learn to read the trail and not hold you back on climbs.

12. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Hi all. I'm seeing a lot of used Treks fairly cheap. Will I be able to upgrade these bikes? Is there anything I should look out for or steer clear of? thanks guys.

13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Can you share some links to the Treks you are talking about?

We can give specific advice if we see what you see. :)

14. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    mountaingirl sara, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  15. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Here's what you want to do: buy a hardtail, at least to the minimum specs stated above, and ride the crap out of it. Don't worry about being able to upgrade, or resale.

This will accomplish 2 things: let you determine your preferred type of rides and let you build endurance. When the bike falls apart, move up.

At that point you'll either pony up a couple grand for a really capable bike, or quit riding.

Happy decision point trails! :thumbsup:

mountaingirl sara and Mikie like this.
  17. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I hate to tell ya, but those pretty much are Walmart bikes. :eek:

19. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Thanks guys. I went to the LBS after work. I told them I was interested in a beginner bike. I didn't say how much I wanted to spend. We went right to a $1700 Trek. I guess I should be embarrassed by how much I'd like my budget to be. Nonetheless there were $500 Treks. $500 to around $3500. All they had were Treks, but could order Intense bikes. Now I'm hearing the LBS bikes are Walmart bikes? I think I'm going to just get a bike and ride, find out if I'm actually going to drag myself out.

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    No no no...the Craigslist bikes you linked were pretty much Walmart bikes, due to their senescence. Not bad bikes in their time, but their time is no longer.

Your budget is not actually reasonable unless you score a great deal on a bike that's not already worn out. LBS bikes are not bad in and of themselves, but you don't want Acera level rear derailleurs. A triple chainring and 8 or 9 speed cassette is not a bad idea for someone just getting onto a bike, because it allows you to pedal up hills without dying. But you do want something that won't need to be adjusted after, or during, every ride.

You don't have to break the bank, but be willing to spend $800 - $1,000 without worrying about ROI. Figure out whether this is what you want to do; you can always sell it for at least a couple hundred if you decide you're not into it. The lower level bike you buy, the more likely you're not going to stick with it.

My first mountain bike was a Trek Mamba. 3x9 setup, and cost $800. MSRP was $1,019 (in 2013) but it was on sale for $900 and I got the usual 10% off if one asks.

21. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    It's your money but I wouldn't spend a nickel on the bikes you have linked there. I think @rossage and @Ebruner have laid out some very good options that are within budget or real close to it. A more modern bike that works properly is more likely to keep you interested and and become addicted like the rest of us are and be easier to sell if you find it's not your thing(but you wont trust me). At your height (5'10") you could probably ride a medium or large in most brands but definitely not a small like a couple of the bikes you've listed.

22. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Thanks Voodoo. I didn't even notice the sizes.

23. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  24. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I know...you're in Lakewood, and you were looking at Trek. :cool:

26. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Lol. A friend recommended Bellflower Bicycles, I'll check them out tomorrow. Maybe Thursday, Performance Bike is actually closer.

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    An additional plus is that Performance offers lifetime adjustments for free. Not an insignificant inducement.

28. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Wow that IS nice, thanks. I'd like to think I'll be able to do lots of the adjustments myself eventually. I like tinkering.

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    With Trek, The 3xxx series bikes are not true mtn bikes. They are bikes designed and intended to be ridden on paved paths and occasional DG trails.....they are not mtn bikes. Once you start getting into the 4xxx series bikes, they become more capable.

30. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    I have an answer to your head spinning problem. Large 2010 Haro Beasley. Steel hartail, X-fusion fork, 1x9 27.5. Good rims, tires to choose from then set up tubeless. Seats-stems-pedals-grips-posts-bars etc. Ask questions, choose, we install. Xtra chaining, new computer, two sets of brakes, Shimano or avid. Bike looks like someone rides it, but functions perfect. Interested ill send a pic. 400.00

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?