If Minions are good are Plus ones Better...

Discussion in 'Tires' started by AKAKTM, Nov 4, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I continue to be super-impressed with my fantastic Ibis Mojo 3 with Plus tires. I have run a Nobby Nic 3.0 up front and a 2.8 out back. I really don't care for the Nobby Nic tires in the smaller sizes--at all. These Plus versions are completely different and pretty good tires. That said, I was curious when Maxxis came out with the Rekon, but after riding a couple of them, I liked the NN much better.

Maxxis recently released a the Minion DHF in Plus at 2.8" and mine just came in. It's a heavy, thick tire with serious knobs--really serious. Looks more like a small moto tire. I'm expecting it'll be a bit slower than the NN 3.0 and is, of course a bit heavier, but not too much. I just hope that it sizes out at more than 2.8 and is comparable in size to the 3.0NN. It will be a while before I get to mount it and give it a ride. I'll keep you all posted when I can. I know there are LOTS of Minion/High Roller fans here on the forums.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

I'll be running it on a 38mm internal width starting at around 14-15psi.

AKAKTM

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I hate Maxxis tires...

I'm lying. I've been a Maxxis addict and Zealot for years. Good luck with yours. I hope they make your wildest dreams come true!

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  3. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Scalpel
    Did they come with after bowl of soup? Oh but I'm sure they'll look great on your bike though.

mike, Mikie, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Anyone who quotes Caddyshack (albeit not quite accurately) is gold in my book!

mike and Danmtchl like this.
  5. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Love the Caddyshack reference!

I've not been a fan of Maxsis and had a couple of Maxxis tires with significant manufacturing defects and they were unwilling to make good on them. My willingness to try Maxxis again comes from seeing so many here like Mikie that just swear by them.

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    My Minion DHF and Minion SS are the first tires I've ever used that I don't plan on replacing until they're worn out. Definitely looking forward to trying a DHF on the front of my Jet.

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Just replaced a worn out Minion SS with something a little meatier-a Minion DHR II. Felt I needed a little more traction since the trails are getting some moisture. Worked awesome on SART yesterday. 2.4"/20psi on 29"/23mm internal rims

Watch the Minion SS as it wears. I noticed that the side knobs were wearing more than the smaller, ramped center knobs. My off-the-cuff analysis is that the side knobs are taking up the braking/cornering/climbing slack when the fast rolling center knobs can't hang on. Still a great tire and I will run them again when necessary. Running 2.35" at 19-20 psi on 29"/23mm internal rims.

Get some!

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  8. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    Being of . . . . . ahem. . . . . larger proportions, I tend not to like tires with relatively prodigious side knobs on our local hard pack, especially if they are of a softer compound. Feels like I am riding on squished grapes as they squirm under my hulking girth. In areas with looser soil conditions, like up in Big Bear, larger knobs work better for me.

9. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    @AKAKTM have you tried the plus Minions yet? Curious to hear your impressions. I'm running the DHF 2.5 WT in front and Ardent 2.4 rear on my Mojo3 and think this is a great setup, but am curious about trying plus. Also, what didn't you like about Rekons?

mike, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Big Ian ran plus Minions on his Tallboy3 on Yeager Mesa. He's prolly 250 lbs RTR. That's probably like you or I running a 2.4. I can imagine insane traction from a plus Minion. I'm always leery about about adding weight to the wheels, though; 2.35/29 works pretty damn well for long rides with technical ST. The usual rub...shuffling compromises.

11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Which wheels are you guys running on your Mojo3's?

That is one of the bikes I'm considering to replace my MojoSL. The idea of having the option for plus wheels is interesting, though I would have a second normal wheelset I would run most of the time.

I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to pay the premium for carbon wheels as I'm not convinced they are the game changer many people seem to think they are. So if you got the AL plus wheels I'd love to hear what you think of them.

herzalot likes this.
  12. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Ibis 742 and a set of Specialized 38s.

13. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    @evdog I have the stock aluminum wheels- 738s. No complaints. I think they're a great value. I believe Ibis just spec'd higher quality hubs which seem fine. 1880g is not that light, but not heavy either, considering 35mm internal width. I've had the M3 now for 6-7 months, so not a long term review quite yet, but so far so good.

All that being said, I have been saving up for a set of carbon wheels, mainly for weight savings to keep up with my fast buddies on big climbing days. Or probably just because I have upgrade-itis.

littlewave, Voodoo Tom and UPSed like this.