Ideal Suspension Travel for SoCal is.....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Derkderkall, Feb 8, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

Ideal travel is

1. travel? Completely rigid!

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. All you need is a hardtail and the right skills...

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. 100-110mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 120-140mm

31 vote(s)
    62.0%
  5. 150-160mm

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  6. Full enduro Brah, 170mm plus..

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ummmm, no. More like... (actually had one of these back in the 70s)
    29a60eadcd6a3a4eed2159ac9eb8f1fc.jpg

This too....
    d66ba3b8cc955fc49a51dc3f52397ec1.jpg

And then, later, three of these - I consecutively rode them into the ground:
    HONDA%20GL1100%2081%20%20inte.jpg

I do like my comfort!!

Mikie, konakc, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  2. My dad rides 1972 yahama enduros exclusively. All over the place hundreds of miles today still.

3. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just to be clear, my disdain for stuff that's likely to make me become one with the ground stems from laying this outstanding piece of machinery down on asphalt at 70 mph....tends to leave an impression. :eek::(

But on the plus side, the stereo was still playing afterward!!

Faust29, Mikie, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    This is a strange thread. Aaron Gwin's version of So Cal is far different from, say, most everybody on IMTB's version of SoCal.

I have found that many on this site talk about "not necessary for the majority of riding around here." Clearly, these well-intentioned riders have not seen the huge number of incredibly challenging trails in SoCal.

Soooo - ideal travel is determined by what you like to ride and how you like to ride it. Not by a region like SoCal.

PS: Most World Cup DHers spend time in SoCal riding our trails during the winter.

5. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Nailed it. :thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie, Luis and 8 others like this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    If I were giving real advice to a newb in SoCal, I would tell him/her that 150 is the sweet spot.

Faust29, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I like my 150mm hardtail!!!

Faust29, Mikie, HBkites and 3 others like this.
  8. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    20,430,000mm gets me to AWCWP. From that point on, 140mm seems about right.

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  9. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    My 100mm XC HT race bike has not held me back from riding any trail in SoCal yet. Only thing it holds me back on his hucking and big jumps. Even then, I have still done the Neverland Jumpline at Skypark on it.

I choose to ride an enduro bike so I can take the crazy lines and look for the chunky stuff, but I don't need it. And if I could only choose one, it would be my XC bike.

10. MrGreedom

MrGreedom Well-Known Member

Name:
    Ryan
    Current Bike:
    BH Lynx6
    From my garage it would be nice to be within 500 yards to the trailhead.

Faust29, kioti, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    When I used to ride a lot, I’d break bikes designed for XC or trail riding. Inherently, longer travel bikes are built burlier, and those are the frames that have held up beneath me. So to have only one Bike means to have a reliable bike, and by default it probably has +150mm travel F/R.

12. Final thoughts

Last trip to San Juan trail, not to far below cocktail rock, i was climbing up at the section of oddly positioned square edged collection of various sized granite rocks. Just then a group of 6-8 XC racers appeared descending on hardtails. Every single one stopped and unclicked and walked through the trail feature without any thought of riding through.

To me... well that don’t look fun.

The inside v line is an ankle bitter and full of sharp edge rim dinging rock. No thanks. The outside line is up and over a large Rock. Super easy, fairly safe, and comfortable on a FS bike. But on a HT it’s a different experience. Sort of to risky or to harsh to flow through on a HT. Impossible? No. But I would walk through there also on a HT.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    This is a cool thread. Maybe better titled Your Ideal Travel..., but we got there anyway. I like hearing other riders' approach to bikes and riding. It says way more about the riders than bikes...glad to know ya :cool:

Faust29, MrGreedom, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Not all XC racers ride the same :D

asset.jpg

15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    “Your ideal travel...”?

Mine is all that matters!!! :whistling:;)

Faust29, Danmtchl, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    LOL, really? Just goes to show you travel does NOT equal skill. I don't consider myself a particularly skilled downhill rider, but I have NEVER walked that section of trail. Then again I may just ride it slower than many...

I just checked my last 3 bikes. I went from 130mm travel... to 120mm travel... (both 26" bikes) to 100mm travel on my current XC 29er. Can't say I have really missed it that much... but I am not a downhill racer so I don't appreciate what it has to offer...

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Gonna agree with this.....lack suspension travel has never stopped me from riding any part of San Juan.

doublewide, Faust29, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes, this is a great conversation! I voted 120-140, although I've only ridden HT for the last 34 years. But probably the best all around bike you could take anywhere is a FS bike. In fact I'm playing around w/ a 120 FS bike right now, and like it so far! I've said before, and for me, I ride HT over just about everything, but the key is I go a LOT slower. I've never felt beat up from it, and prefer it for climbing the fire roads that most of us have to climb on. Trails I'm on 95% of the time are pretty buffed out, and not steep, so I don't need more very often. I'm trying to get more Big Bear Skyline in, as well as get up to Exploration and SART more often to justify my Chameleon (modern geo, 130mm fork). If I find that's not enough, I'll start using the Sector more!!!

19. I loved surfing my single fin 7’6” egg. But let’s just say i could not take an under the lip drop and get barreled on it. But Joel Tudor probably could.

20. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Hardtails don’t have rear suspension and therefore make them easier to climb. Hardtails don’t have rear suspension and therefore make them harder to descend. If riding a hardtail makes you a better rider because dropping the technical is more difficult on it, then riding a hardtail makes you a lousy climber because of the inherent benefits you exploit.

Faust29, kioti, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I’ve read this 10 times....and I still don’t get it. :oops:

22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    Not all HT are created equal.

I currently have 3 HT and one FS bike, and each one of the HT is different than the others.
    My favorite HT has a Ti frame, plus tires, and 130mm fork. I'm not a very fast descender but most of my descending PR's are on that bike.
    One day I might switch my current FS bike to a longer travel bike, but I don't see the need for it at this point.

I enjoy a good FS bike on the downs, but I hate the bobbing and the extra weight the rest of the ride.
    My current FS bike (Scott Sparks RC) has a remotely lockout shock. This is a nice feature (as long as I don't forget to unlock it going downhill) that eliminate the bobbing.
    At 24 lbs is it probably as light as an FS bike can get. That being said I ride it less then all the others.

Parractily you can design a HT that will go down fast, and you build an FS that climbs well. The amount of travel is not as important is the Geo.

Derkderkall, Faust29, kioti and 9 others like this.
  23. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Hard to tolerate all the reasonable opinions going on here...
    120-130mm is my happy do all travel.

24. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I think I can follow your logic, but HT doesn't make you a better climber, just faster!
    For me, climbing fire road is not a "skill".
    Descending fast, on the other hand, requires skills and balls.

25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    My FS bike has made me re-think climbing. At a certain point of fitness and technical difficulty, I think FS is more capable for climbing. Similarly, I never found a fork lockout to help with climbing anything but smooth. Big hoops and some squish help keep the momentum.

I question if I could do this on any HT without a surge in fitness: http://www.ousleycreative.com/misc/3S12-18/3Sclimb.mp4
    The rocky part just before the water bar is the business, but not easy getting there.

26. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    SoCal riding?

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That's not in SoCal, HBk, but I'd apply my thinking to any rough, bouncy riding through creekbeds, uphill; anywhere a step up or big rock can stop you or not. Really, all the same reason DH junkies like FS...less obstruction :)

28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    What’s this single track, rocky stuff you talkin’?

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, kioti and 4 others like this.
  29. Many modern rear suspension designs have a high rate of antisquat. Making then very stiff during high chain tension pedaling. Thus near hardtail on a steep grade. Because science.

Old&InTheWay, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cub Creek, CO!!!!!!!! Haven't found anything like that in CA yet. No bike signs at the TH, but legal...a bad omen!!!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?