Idaho Centennial Trail

Discussion in 'Bikepacking' started by mike, Jan 24, 2018.

1. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Ho, man, does this sound truly epic or what?

The Idaho Centennial Trail represents nearly 1000 miles of rough and rugged backcountry travel. Crossing the state from Nevada to Canada, it winds through some of the most isolated locations in the lower-48. From the desolate desert of the Snake River Plain to the lush Western forests and world-class rivers, the ICT will show you all there is to love about Idaho.

With only a handful of completed thru-hikes since its official designation in 1990, the ICT presents a unique and challenging opportunity to any prospective hikers. Come experience the unmatched solitude and incomparable remoteness of the Idaho Centennial Trail.

http://idahocentennialtrail.org/

Bumps the Idaho Hot Springs Tour off my list. Wilderness detours, NBD – on tough trails I welcome them. This looks as grand as the CT/AZT, maybe more so. I'd be on it at least a month.

I love these state-sponsored trans-state trails. Every state should have a few :geek:

2. rossage

rossage iMTB Addict

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Checklist:
    Bike
    Fly rod
    Coffee
    Weed

I'm ready...
    :)

OTHRider, MrGreedom, LLPoolJ and 6 others like this.
  3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Salsa/Trek/Kona
    I opened the link. I didn't look for very long but I saw terms like "Wilderness" and "hiking" but no mention of biking. :unsure:

mike likes this.
  4. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    I have ridden a small part of the trail around the Sawtooths. Epic is an understatement. They did start prohibiting MTB in the designated wilderness areas shortly after. I think it was the summer of 2015. There are still many awesome legal trails in and around Stanley.

Doing the entire thing would be a akin to a PCT or Appalachian adventure.

mike likes this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Mountain Biking
    Mountain biking is allowed outside of designated wilderness areas. Alternate routes are in place to bypass these protected areas.

(On the home page, scroll down.)

MrGreedom, SnakeCharmer and rossage like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Thanks for the firsthand, Rob. Can you elaborate on the trails you rode? I'm assuming lots of HAB. TIA :thumbsup:

rossage likes this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    idahocentennialtrail_Fotor.jpg

90,000' of elevation gain (hiking trail, I assume).

MrGreedom likes this.
  8. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    No HAB at all. I thought I posted a trip report/ let me regroup, find and post

Danimal, mike and MrGreedom like this.
  9. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Looks interesting. I don't see any maps or GPS info though, am I missing something?

Although logistics would be easier being a point to point I'd probably be more interested in this than the hot springs route as well. Both times I've been to Stanley there were tons of hipster douchebag types out mobbing that route. No doubt they've fouled all the hot springs by now...

10. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Good info, I agree, ev. Never been a soaker, myself.

Thought I saw a GPS file link there...can't find it; despite the beautiful pics/grafix it's an awful web site, apparently a WIP.

littlewave likes this.