Ibis Mojo 3

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by littlewave, Jun 16, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Created a new thread so we don't clog the helmet thread:

How would you compare the Ripley LS and the Mojo 3? I've demoed both, leaning towards the Mojo 3. Prior to my Knolly Warden, I was on a Mojo HD. Great bike, and the demos I've had on the Ripley LS and Mojo 3 are even better. I like the Knolly, but I miss the DW link on the Ibis, and would save some serious weight getting back on Ibis. I'm sure this is broken record stuff from me.

Mikie likes this.
  2. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Wow, that's a tough question, but I suppose the best answer is look at which one I am riding now. ;)

Coming from a Knolly, the decision would be easy--Mojo 3, unless you are really looking to go 29. I you get an M3 you will be surprised at the increased refinement of the 5th generation DW system.

Mikie, levity and herzalot like this.
  3. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    I've got another Ripley ls and mojo 3 demo planned before I decide.

Mikie, Danmtchl, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  4. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Special blend kit is out. 98.6514% positive I will be ordering one in xl, with 2.8s.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_3/

New M3 SB specs are up!
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by So Cal RX viewpost-right.png
    Same here! So ready to get one, but want to see the SB spec to compare with the XT 1x or X01 to see what makes sense for me. $6k would be a big splurge!
    Here they are, 1 day early, the M3 Special Blend : )

$3999

Fox 34 Performance Fork, Fox Performance Shock, Ibis 738 Alumininum Assym Wheels, Choice of 2.35, 2.5, 2.8 tires, SRAM NX 1X Drivetrain

Fork 2017 Performance Series Fox 34 fork black
    Shock 2017 Performance Series Fox Float
    Wheels Ibis 738 Very Wide Aluminum Asymmetric Wheelset, 27.5”, Ibis Hubs, Boost, 34mm Inner Width
    Tires Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35”, Maxxis 2.5" or Nobby Nic 2.8"
    Brakes Shimano Deore 180mm Front Rotor, 160mm Rear Rotor
    Cranks SRAM NX 175 Direct Mount XSYNC 30t Ring, Black
    Rear Derailleur SRAM NX 1 X 11 Long Cage, black
    Shift Levers SRAM NX 11sp Trigger Black
    Cassette SRAM PG 1130 11-42T
    Chain CN PC1110 114LI W/ PowerLock 11Speed
    Headset Cane Creek 40 ZS44/ZS56
    Grips Lizard Skins Logo
    Handlebars Ibis 740mm 7075 aluminum handlebar
    Stem Ibis 3D Forged 31.8 Bar/28.6 Steerer 7075 (50, 60, 70, 80, 90)
    Seatpost Ibis 31.6 x 350 L, 7075
    Saddle Ibis custom saddle, CrMo rails

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Can I come with you on its maiden voyage? I wanna see your face! Knot that there's anything wrong with your Knolly, but you are an Ibis guy.

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  6. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Sure. Might be awhile so in the meantime I'll keep on enjoying the Knolly!

Mikie, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  7. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Oh, mo info:

I second that question smile5.gif Looks like it might be pushing 30lbs...

Will there be a Shimano version also?

It will be more like 28 lbs. We'll probably have a weight tomorrow and I'll follow up.

There will be a Shimano SLX 1x kit soon that comes in at about $4200.

8. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    That SB build is really an amazing value! All the components are acceptable or better. The only necessary changes would be a dropper and maybe wider carbon bars, but what a deal!

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Beware the Deore Brakes - I've read and heard bad things.

10. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Care to share? They look an awful lot like the old XTs, just without the tool free reach adjust and a different finish.

Thinking I will pick up the SLX kit for $200 more, and add on a dropper post. Then just upgrade parts as they wear out. Maybe wider carbon bars too @AKAKTM

11. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I have Deore brakes on a single speed and find them to be good. They don't seem to have the same power as XT brakes, but do have adequate power. My plan is to install the higher-end resin or metallic pads later and see if this provides a bit more bite. I wouldn't be afraid to try them, unless I found a large body of negative reviews/ride reports.

Mikie, Danmtchl, levity and 2 others like this.
  12. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    The Deore brakes spec'd on my Stumpy Carbon Comp 6Fattie have worked well for 6+ months. They even "feel" better than the XTs I've used previously, less On/Off and better modulation, and they have power to easily lock up 3.0 Purgatory tires when desired. Came with the new Shimano "High Power Brake Hose". They do have cheesy cotter pins holding in the caliper pads, but the resin pads have never squealed, squawked, gobbled or howled (on my second set of pads now).

13. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    Tony - can you describe the M3 build you ended up with?
    Final weight?

Thanks, Larry

14. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Weight is 26 or just under. Build is as follows:

Large M3 with standard Fox shock
    Fox 34 Factory
    Next SL cranks
    32 tooth oval chainring
    XX1 10-42 cassette
    Roval Fattie SL 38 wheels
    Nobby Nic 2.8 rear and 3.0 front
    Selle Italia Team Carbon saddle
    KS LEV 150mm post
    RaceFace 6C bars and stem
    XT Brakes
    180/160 rotors

That's about it.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Voodoo Tom and 2 others like this.
  15. levity

levity Member

Name:
    gone
    Thanks for the build info, Tony.

Did you get the regular Fox 34 27.5 fork spec'd for the M3 (axle-to-crown 529mm) or the taller 27.5+ model (axle-to-crown 545mm)?
    If the former, how well does the 3.0 tire clear the crown at full compression? (Wouldn't want to catch a knob when compressed!)

Can you feel the difference in head tube angle with the slightly taller 3.0 front tire (and/or fork)?

Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  16. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I got the consumer version of the OE fork for the M3. I forget the model. I recall it having a 542 A2C, butI'm not sure. I've heard a noise twice when hitting huge G-outs and have been unable find the source. It sounds like it's coming from the rear and Ibis said they've had some minor rubbing on the upper link. They will be sending me out a new, revised link later this month no charge.

I need to look at the crown on the fork to make sure it's not hitting there. I don't think so. You do feel a slight bit more slack with that tire.

TA

Danmtchl, Mikie and herzalot like this.
  17. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Name:
    James Matsubayashi
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Mojo 3
    I finally got my Mojo 3. Ended up ordering the Special Blend but added carbon bars and dropper. They also shipped it with the factory shock which was a bonus. I ordered with the Minion WT 2.5s but switched the rear to an Ardent 2.4. Lastly, I switched the brakes with my other bike, so now has XTs.

This bike is exactly what I thought it would be: similar to my Endorphin on the descents (perhaps slightly lighter feeling, more maneuverable, but close) and definitely a more efficient overall pedaler.

Impressed with the Special Blend kit, including the Fox Performance fork and the NX drivetrain. The fork did take 4-5 rides to break in. I wasn't getting near full travel until recently.

Took the bike to Summit yesterday, and it felt great. I can tell the suspension was working well: it not only felt great, I didn't have much fatigue in my hands and upper body after a full day.

I think this bike will be perfect on the rides I love: filled with big climbs to get to fun descents: rides like San Juan/Blue Jay/Viejo Tie, and Lower Merrill/Middle Merrill/Sunset/El Prieto. Stoked!

image.jpeg

RS VR6, Danmtchl, kioti and 10 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @jimmymats You are going to need to change your profile now. Glad you love the bike. Knollys are great descenders and chunk climbers, and they are built to take abuse - including wet climates. So if you ride South Mountain in Phoenix or the Pacific Northwest, they are a great choice. 'Round here, there's too much sustained climbing on smooth trails or fireroad to maximize what Knollys are built for.

jimmymats, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?