I9 freehub question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TwoWheel Eric, Oct 24, 2018.

1. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    TallBoy 3 29"
    I could use some opinions on this. Have noticed some marks on the inside of my freehub. Take a look at the picture and you can see the scrape marks next to the pawls...is that normal? This is a I9 Torch freehub purchased in 2017. Thanks.

QMgnsT1JSOy6iSfgtR8A3g.jpg

Faust29, -ROCKY-, UPSed and 1 other person like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    I wouldn't think it's normal but I've yet to have a hub that didn't show that kind of wear mark. I'm guessing it's cause by flex.

3. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    That happens when you take out and insert the freehub for servicing. The freehub is in there tight and I've scraped the hub body many times to oil the pawls.
    BTW it looks like your running less pawls. Did you buy the road bike version of the hub? You should have 6 pawls in there for mountain hubs.

media.nl?id=39625&c=3902152&h=efd42491cd61fd4f947b&resizeid=-2&resizeh=240&resizew=240.jpg

4. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    TallBoy 3 29"
    Thanks guys for the opinions. Torrent, I've always run 3 pawls on I9 hubs. Coming from DT Swiss at 18 pts, the reduced engagement of 60 (with 3 pawls) felt like more than enough and I prefer quieter and less friction. I9 confirmed that it is fine to do so.

So do your I9 hubs look like mine too?

I emailed I9 and they just got back to me and said that perhaps running 3 pawls caused this and/or worn bearings. So they didn't seem to think the marks were normal.

5. Torrent77

Torrent77 Member

Name:
    Dave
    I had the older enduro hubs but they are pretty much similar. You can tell that it was an insertion scuff because the lines are thick at the lip and get thinner towards the seal(indicating that the hub was inserted misaligned and then lined back up towards the end). If it was something that happened during use then the scuffs would be horizontal in the direction of the spinning. If anything, I'd say you may need new bearing because of the increase play. My old enduro hub has many scratches like that and its been fine for over 9 years. That freehub is damn near bulletproof.

6. Ebruner

Ebruner Well-Known Member

Name:
    Erik Bruner
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower, Kona Hei Hei
    For what it's worth... I had similar marks on a bitex free hub body. They were caused during use and not by just slipping the free hub into the hub body. It turned out that it was a combo flex in the axle and the fact that the free hub had two bearings in it. Bitex upgraded me to a stainless free hub in lieu of hte aluminum, which had an extra bearing in it (3) and the problem never occured again. To me, those look like wear marks from the free hub being able to shift inside the hub shell and gouging the free hub shell.

7. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Stephen
    To me... looks like it is slipping in/out perhaps rear axle was not tight enough for some period...

Can you feel the scratches with your finger or is it smooth (just the anodizing)

UPSed likes this.
  8. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    TallBoy 3 29"
    It is deeper than the anodizing. Not sure a loose axle could cause the freehub to come apart while riding...it requires a solid smack to disassemble.