I think I'll stick to the dirt...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Jul 29, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    As a former or is it reformed roadie...I understand our rights and laws on the road.

There are times and places to take the whole lane. Cruising down Live Oak 2-3 abreast just so you can socialize with your ride buddies is not one of them. That is just selfish. It makes cyclists look like dicks. Ride single file in those more narrow areas.

We need to make it so cars can safely pass, as well as other riders. It’s no different than the groups of earbud wearing, dog walking, stroller pushing hikers walking 3-6 across takingbuo the whole fire road.

On the other hand....vehicles need to abide by the 3’ rule when passing and not passing when that isn’t possible.

There is plenty of guilt from both sides.

2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Agreed:thumbsup:

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Josh spend more time on the road than just about all of us combined. I believe he is a commuter.

Group mentality sucks. But yeah, cyclists can be their own worst enemy.

4. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    If it's a windy single lane road, the rider(s) needs to consider what'll happen if a car or big truck comes from the other direction while letting a car pass. There might not be enough room for a cyclist AND two (or more) vehicles going opposite directions. If you're a single rider, you might be able to squeak by. But if you're a pack and you're trying to be courteous, your vulnerability is increased dramatically by the length of your pace line. It's better for all concerned to take the lane; then move to the side when the road widens. And then wave and thank the patient and considerate drivers.

Works for me, anyway. :thumbsup:

Mikie, herzalot, Sidewalk and 6 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yes, legally, as a vehicle and per CVC 21656 you have to get out of the way when 5 or more stack up behind you. Whether you're on a bike or in a car.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Specifically: "On a two-lane highway where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, any vehicle proceeding upon the highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time, behind which five or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn off the roadway at the nearest place designated as a turnout by signs erected by the authority having jurisdiction over the highway, or wherever sufficient area for a safe turnout exists, in order to permit the vehicles following it to proceed."

Safe turnout being the operative concept.

Mikie, Danmtchl, herzalot and 8 others like this.
  7. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I just learned that a jogger was hit by a truck and killed about a block from my house this morning.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Sidewalk and 4 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It's legal for police to text/message/call/operate their on board computer while driving, in many places. Seems hypocritical to me but it also seems necessary. Perhaps there should be two officers in every vehicle. One drives (only) and the other does the distracted work. I have a feeling that eventually this law of not driving while distracted will include law enforcement everywhere.

Steve, you could get hit by a Park Ranger on the fire roads who is distracted just as easily.

Just give up cycling all together.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Actually most likely not...:they rarely go out of the office, and I think there is only 1 or 2 Rangers for all of CNF.

10. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Vehicles are legal (for the general public) on some CNF roads, Maple Springs and the North Main Divide for example, and can be coming toward you from around a blind corner. It wouldn't probably be a distracted driver situation, but it can certainly be something to watch out for. I've had them come at me really fast on both roads, and occasionally fail to yield enough to keep me out of the bushes. They're also occasionally on non-motorized trails and roads. And all bets are off on Trabuco Creek Road, as no rules seem to apply.

Cops are people, too, and expecting them to have multi-tasker super powers is unreasonable. I don't know if the video at the top of this thread is legit, but the physics would be. Best to stop out of the way of traffic: especially at the top, or just past the apex, of hills while (re-grouping), on turns (drivers take them in the bike lane), or while fixing a flat-- since otherwise you're in the line of fire. Also important to make eye contact with drivers and make yourself extra visible with flashing head and tail lights if you're planning to spend any time on the road.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've seen a ranger in the CNF maybe 5 times in the last 10-15 thousand miles, so not exactly a valid comparison. The last one was on the phone... But he was smart enough to pull off to the side, even though we were the only people for probably 10 miles.

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    We aren't talking percentages here. The Rangers do indeed go out and roll once in a while. They certainly do up here (once in a while).

If a Ranger happened to be out when Steve was out and that Ranger happened to be texting as he approached Steve, we might be sending roses to a cemetery.

More than anything, accidents are a combination of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We can't tell when that wrong time is either, until it happens.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 3 others like this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    There, see? kioti just increased the chances of getting hit off road with his factual post.

Watch out Steve! :laugh:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, kioti and 4 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Just thinking about this drives me crazy... I hate getting stuck behind a slow truck/car/bike that won't pull over when there is an opportunity... sorry, must chill out, must chill out, must chilll.... arrraraghgeh!

15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I once watched a CHP go blasting past me and the line of cars a very slowly descending RV was holding up coming down hwy 330. He lit that RV up and immediately pulled him over but his reckless passing on a narrow, twisty hwy road with blind turns could have created a major accident if a vehicle had been coming up the hill.

16. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    No like:(

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    IDK about you guys, but I have some sort of close call every time I ride my bike on the road to get to my local loops. I always considered it a part of the risk of injury (or death) when riding.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Not worth the risk for this mama:stop:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Agreed, but this activity we do is very risky. You've tumbled twice in recent times. I'm not saying it's OK to get hurt or die, just reminding everyone that we are setting ourselves up for a fall with this activity. We are accepting some degree of responsibility if we do something risky, right?

Mikie, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    If I was a CHP, I would make it my mission to pull them, and left-lane hogs over. I'm happy to have them on the road, but pull over and let people pass!!!

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I tried out for the CHP when I was younger.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  22. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Truth! The risk has to be worth it for me, and being on the street with vehicles just doesn’t float my boat.

23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej, mike and 1 other person like this.
  24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    People are too lazy to wait and be patient.

25. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Not sure what you're doing wrong...in roughly 11,000 miles of road riding I've had exactly 1 close approach.

Mikie, LLPoolJ, mike and 5 others like this.
  26. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I'm not doing anything wrong. It's the idiot drivers who are such a hurry to get everywhere with one eye (or both) planted on their hand-held devices. I almost got run over flat earlier this year. That was too close.

Mikie, mike, kioti and 4 others like this.
  27. You can call me fat all day, but call me lazy and entitled again and it’s going to be Sh!t show.

28. There’s situational awareness, and there is right of way, and there is the law, and there is common sense. Everyone (drivers, peds, and cyclists) should be taking all this into account to reduce conflict, I know this one friend who will always step off a curb to cross a street forcing cars to stop because he is a pedestrian and has the right of way.... stupid and just wait a min to let the cars pass and live longer.

Mikie, kioti, mike and 5 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I agree with all of this, common sense and courtesy- for drivers AND riders FTW:thumbsup:
    I’m not against roadies, most of my friends are roadies... it’s the arrogant “I don’t give a sh1t” riders that get me:mad:

Mikie, Cyclotourist, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  30. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic, Stumpu and Enduro
    I think its more s matter of perspective. I group ride sometimes used to often. Some of the riders would take offense to very minor interactions that I wouldnt think twice about. Others such as myself just rode my bike rarely having any issue with vehicle traffic.