I rode somebody else's bike(s) today.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Voodoo Tom, Oct 31, 2015.

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I pedaled it around before I left as my legs were spent after 18 miles and 3500k. Not really impressed. I'm guessing I have my Stumpy pretty well dialed-in so it'll take something pretty significant to make me say oh wow!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  2. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Hopefully you'll get to try the Ripley LS and the Mojo 3 with some fresh legs.

I was pretty impressed with both. Thinking about picking up a Mojo 3, waiting for the special blend to be released.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Holy shizz nizzle! I did a good ride today on the Mojo 3 and all I can say is wow! I could tell right from the start it was going to be a great bike. Thankfully @AKAKTM showed up for our shindig at Cheeseboro and was able to help me with a couple of suspension adjustments. Without going into detail I will say it climbs like an XC race bike and descends with the authority of a DH. Granted it's not as plush but eats up everything in its path. And talk about traction! I picked up a bottle of magic wine that Jennifer and I will have with dinner before I break the news to her.Screenshot_20160525-160617.jpg

pperrelle, mtnbikej, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    @UPSed What is this magic wine of which you speak? It's not the same stuff Bill Cosby used, is it?

What - too soon?

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO

Maybe. :whistling:

6. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    So, what'd she say?

You try the plus tire mojo 3?

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yes. The Mojo 3. All I can say is she didn't say no.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Well I didn't, but my friend Scott (of 1999 Stumpjumper fame) tried three.

First, a large Intense Spider 275c from The Path - Live Oak (at Whiting):

ScottSpider.JPG

We were very careful to set up the Spider's suspension exactly right. Spot on at 30% sag, with a fair amount of suppleness up front to match. He was bloody fast on the Spider, especially uphill, but after riding it he said, "I think I want more travel." He was going to demo the Santa Cruz 5010 next, but given that the Spider has more suspension than the 5010, he decided he wanted to try the Bronson or Tracer instead. The large Bronson was out, so he grabbed the Tracer.

This bike made him smile, and he climbed just as fast, but was absolutely crushing it on the fun side of Whiting. Granted, Whiting doesn't really test a bike's suspension, but the whole package just had Scott rippin' and smiling. I didn't say a word.

ScottTracer.JPG

Then it was lunch at Wahoos and a trip to Laguna Cyclery for the icing on the cake. The Ibis Mojo HD3, and a test ride at Aliso. However, when they showed us the bike, I instantly frowned. X-Fusion suspension. 1x10 setup and weak brakes. This may not be good. The other two bikes were the "pro" level build, 1 step below the $10,000 Factory build. This was a bargain basement build. If you want to show off a bike and get people interested, don't send them out on inferior stuff. Send 'em out with the good stuff.

As we approached Cholla, the bike was mystery shifting. I had to do some trailside adjustment - let some derailleur cable out and re-adjust it. Nice. With that squared away, we climbed Cholla. Scott quickly discovered (the hard way) that a DW link suspension is not meant to be locked out climbing a chunky trail. He quickly remedied that and had a decent climb.After dropping the 3' huck to flat a couple times to make sure we had the suspension dialed (on the rock at the top of Lynx), we were ready for that fun test track that is Rock-It. I had a GREAT run and was grinning ear to ear. At the little climb midway down, I stopped. Where's Scott? Ahhh, his chain had come off on the rock garden, and again just below it. Oh, the clutch was open on the XT derailleur. I was sure I had closed it. Live and learn, right? Well on down we went and his chain came off again, and again. The clutch mechanism kept opening, and the chain just bounced right off. This did not make a very happy Scott. Also, the X-Fusion Sweep fork wasn't too bad, but the shock was a POS. the bike was so frustrating, we quit and returned to the car.

ScottMojo.JPG

Laguna Cyclery isn't open tomorrow, so he zip tied the clutch closed and we are going to hit Whiting-Luge-Whiting at 7:00am.

Oh - the 741 rims were nice!

9. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    ^LOL, Scott's facial expressions tell the story.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    He reminded me today that I left off an important part of the story. As we were headed back to the car in defeat (well, he was defeated, I was elated) he passed me on the flat single track. Next thing I know I look up and he's 100 yards away and pulling harder. I did all I could to at least keep that gap, but he just kept pulling away. It looked like he was on an electric-assist 29er. The boy has some serious power - especially when pissed about his demo bike.

Whiting-Luge-Whiting today was quite successful. Rolled at 7:00, done at 9:15 with a few stops for adjustments, clothing, bladder evacuation and such. The chain didn't fall off, and Scott learned what the bike was about. He absolutely shredded the swoopy fun turns and dips in Whiting. The shock still sucked horribly, but the fork was OK, the derailleur worked right, the brakes were fine and the chain didn't fall off. Scott wasn't thrilled with his body position on the bike, even after adjusting handlebar height. He likes a longer reach.

Next up - the Bronson. I have a funny feeling that will be the one - but the Tracer left a very favorable impression on him.

OK, enough about Scott, let's talk about me... :oops:
    My Tracer is friggin' DIALED baby!!! From small chatter to drops, turns, chunk - whatever. It's NAILS right now. :):):thumbsup::inlove: Fingers crossed that the Cane Creek DBi hangs in there and doesn't do what most of them have done. It sure is good when it works!

Mikie, UPSed, Cougar and 5 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Final Installment on the Scott Tries Bikes sub section of this thread...

Scott tried Bronson. Scott bought Bronson.

12. yvettessherpa

yvettessherpa Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    YETI Baby!!!
    Rode the Capitol bike share today running around DC.

StrandLeper likes this.
  13. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Rode a surrey after going to the art museum. Highbrow / lowbrow. Forgot to turn on my Strava. image.jpeg

Mikie, kioti, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    The Saga of Scott continues...

Scott bought the Bronson. He then bought HT pedals with clips AND pins. Didn't make sure his shoes cleared and came off cleanly. Scott fell hard three times as a result and injured his ankle. That was a month ago. He is riding on flats now - with 5-10s. His BMX and Moto background are obvious in his bike handling skills.

Today, he bought his wife a Santa Cruz 5010. Right bike in the right place with the right spec at the right price. He is addicted. And she has rekindled her affection for the sport. His wife Juli and my wife Tami went to high school together, and in their 20s, they both rode Scott Boulders (hardtails)- in the early 1990s. Juli was the first among us to have a suspension fork.

Scott and Juli and their two new Santa Cruzes are headed to Snow Summit on Friday. I imagine he will rip the jumps like a pro. Now I just need to get him to join IMTBTrails.

I don't know that this post belongs in this thread, but it's where the tale of Scott resides, so here it is.

Mikie, pperrelle, Cougar and 2 others like this.
  15. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Picked up a Mojo 3 to demo. This is my third time demoing the Mojo 3, although all three rides have been on a large and I am really an xl in Ibis sizing. Only had time to take it out for a quick 4 mile spin on what really amounts to dirt paths but there are a couple drops and very short but steep sections to be found.

Looking south towards ridge park where most of my rides start:
    image.jpeg

Looking west towards the bay and the ocean:
    image.jpeg

This bike is just so incredibly fun. I really like descending on my Knolly, but this thing is just so much more spritely everywhere else. Granted I won't have this fully blinged out version, but man what a ride.

Also really enjoyed the WTB Breakout 2.5s the bike was sporting. Going to have to give some tire love to WTB soon.

Mikie, UPSed, pperrelle and 3 others like this.
  16. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    @UPSed when you getting your Mojo 3?

Mikie, pperrelle and UPSed like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    More than likely I will have to wait until next year. Of course by then something else will come along.

Mikie, Cornholio and mtnbikej like this.
  18. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    My bike is in the shop. Two months in and the Cane Creek Double Barrel CS (not inline) had to be warrantied...not super stoked on that.

I am, however, and somewhat unfortunately, super stoked on the blinged out Ripley LS I rode yesterday. Full XTR group, carbon bars, carbon wheels. Primo. Only thing I didn't like was how stiff the downshift on the XTR shifter was, I'm used to the super light SRAM shifter.

PR'ed almost everything I rode, and if I didn't PR it was a 2nd or 3rd fastest, down and up, cleaned @herzalot 's switchback on Camarillo, and had as much fun if not more than on my Mojo HD3...uh oh. Some of that is down to riding more lately, and some has to be down to the insanely light but capable bike and the bigger 29 wheels. Good thing I can't afford a fully blinged out Ibis, although I am now questioning if maybe the Ripley and not the Mojo HD3 is/was the bike for me.

10 18 16 Ride.JPG
    Ibis Ripley LS Black.JPG

Mikie, mike, kioti and 9 others like this.
  19. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    mtbDangle
    Hmmmm... :thumbsup:

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Hahaha! Right? Thanks for posting this. I guess that just tells you how much I like the Jet!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  21. littlewave

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Got another ride in early this morning since the bike is due back today and it's going to be too hot to ride this afternoon. Air felt cold at my house, so I layered up, but up on top of the hill it was already warm if not hot at 6:15am! Just a quick little Lizard and Fenceline loop. Lizard was nice, dark and cool. The climb on Laurel felt like 80 degrees and 0% humidity.

Man, this Ripley LS is so much fun. The primo dirt should also be given credit for the ripping the last two rides. Very grippy after the rain early this week.

10 20 16 Ride.JPG

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 4 others like this.
  22. Ricekrispyota

Ricekrispyota Member

Name:
    Dana Weinberg
    First a little backstory. Dad drove in from Texas for two weeks and brought his bike. He is a 63 year old beast. Sister gets told she has a class to take in San Diego this week and the company is paying for everything. Dad says "hmmm, San Diego. Haven't been there in a while. I think I'll go to. He asked if I wanted to come down and pedal with him. I say sure, then think to myself, "Self, you've been eyeballing that Ellsworth Rogue 60. You should demo it while you're down there. I call up Ellsworth and they said the only XL rogue they have is booked for the day...NUTS.

Fast forward to today and I take dad to Laguna Canyon off Sunrise Highway and pedal my Ellsworth Moment for darn near 20 miles. Boy, I'm tired.

I check my phone and find an email from Ellsworth. Guy flaked on the demo and bike is available to ride. Do I want to demo it? Absolutely-fricken-lutely!!!!

Drive to Ellsworth and the bike is ready to rock. Andre meets me at the back back door, and sets up the suspension for me.

I didn't have a ton of time left to ride due to family commitments up in Victorville. So I took the bike to Sycamore park, about 10 minutes away from Ellsworth. I picked a trail called Sycamore canyon quick and dirty. Here's all I'll say about the trail. It's fun, chunky and about 7 miles long. Cardiac Hill SUCKS!!!!

Now about the Ellsworth Rogue 160. This bike rocks!!!! The build kit was the low end SLX. SLX drivetrain, Race face cockpit, Rock shox dropper, Fox 36 front and a fox rear shock, didn't catch which one.

Decending- strap a rocket to your but and hang on. Super playful, feels great in the air, launched it of everything I could find, and it launched itself off stuff I didn't see, stayed balanced the whole time.

Climbing- this bike climbed even when I wanted to stop. It was super easy to maintain speed going up. The slacked out front end stayed planted even on super technical climbs and stair steps and very steep climbs. No standing needed, rear shock was full open and the bike just kept going up.

Looking at the bike online, it looks flimsy. In person, everything about the bike is super beefy, but not heavy. The rear swing arm is an amazing piece of craftsmanship. I am a big boy, 6'3 and 250 geared up. There was no flexing felt from the frame/ rear end. The little tricks Ellsworth did with the rear through axle, the dual encapsulated seat stay pivots, and the hex key rocker locker, handled everything this pig could throw at it.

BTW: it was 95* at the start of my demo ride. I'm from the desert and geeze ol Pete, I was melting.

For me, the confidence I felt in the bike, due to supporting my weight and the frame not flexing, will go a long way. I know it personal preference, but if you are in San Diego and in the market for a new bike, give this one a demo.

IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG

23. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Didn't get to go do the hellride today but I did to ride 3 Ibis's today so life's not too bad. Had an early afternoon curfew today so I had no choice but to keep it local. Rusty knows the drill in that if I'm home on a weekend morning then he & I are going for a ride. Took off on his mommas orange Ripley LS for our normal route. Only difference is that Rusty had some extra gas in the tank and he shaved about 20 minutes off his normal times. Came home and quickly changed shoes and filled up the camelbak and jumped on my blue Ripley. Just so happens there was an Ibis demo taking place at Tapia today haha so I only had to ride my own bike about a mile and a half to get there haha. Good ol Kirk from Ibis was busy prepping bikes and sending people off. I wasn't exactly first in line so had to wait a bit. While waiting I got to meet Kieth aka @Mr.All-is-on as he was waiting to try out an HD3. Great meeting you today Kieth and hope to ride with you soon. Also had an @psm sighting and got to roll with him for a bit. Turns out the Mojo 3 I was there to test had a broken shifter cable and housing but Kirk made short work of the repairs and sent me off. Honestly I have no intentions off buying a new bike right now(yeah right) cause my Ripley serves me quite well. Just really wanted to try out the mojo with its plus sized tires too see what all the rage is. Let me just say I get it now. That Mojo 3 rocked. I could tell right away that it pedaled very well. In fact so well that I pr'd the big climb out of G-out that I've done literally dozens of times so it's no slouch. Point the bike downhill and hit the first couple of turns and I was literally screaming "yee haw". Those plus size tires really stick. There were a couple guys not familiar with the trails so I was kind of acting as a tour guide today therefore not hard charging and waiting at intersections and such. Still had lots of fun and honestly I can see why people are buying these bikes. It's probably not different enough than what I already ride for me to buy one but who knows??? After a good lap others decided to peel off and go back to the staging area but I just had to go rail me some g-out. Humidity made me feel like I was about to die after climbing back up to the towers. Rested a bit and then took off like a scalded ape. Made it roughly 200 yards and then it happened. Yep I cross rutted and CRASHED MY EVER LOVING BRAINS OUT. Laid there for a bit knowing I should have broken both shoulders and maybe my neck. Yeah it was a thumping. Got up cleaned myself up and thought about just rolling back down the fire road but what fun is that. Hurting as I was I hit g-out and again to my surprise pr'd the top half before I decided I was just hurting too damn bad to keep charging. Made it back to the staging area and chated with Kirk for a while. told him of my digger and we had a good laugh before he offered up an adult beverage to help sooth the pain. Yeah Kirk is a cool dude in case you haven't figured that out yet. Bottom line is this. The Mojo 3 with plus tires is a bad mofo and if I didn't already have a Ripley I'd be buying one it was that good. Took me about 2 hours to type this as I'm a hurtin unit and may just have to go visit the local urgent care facility. Bikes are fun except when your crash'n...

How can you not like a bunch of sexy bikes like these?
    IMG_4949.jpg

My feelings exactly...
    IMG_4950.jpg

Fat's where it's at...
    IMG_4952.jpg

At least I could lift this beer with my left arm
    IMG_4954.jpg

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sorry to hear about the digger @Voodoo Tom. :confused: Hope it's not anything substantial. Glad you could use your left hand for such important chores as lifting a Big Wave. :thumbsup:

Yeah, trying bikes is an interesting "opportunity." Thankfully, I have found that although the test bikes are fun, I always come away feeling that my bike is more dialed. Quite often on a demo ride, I ride a little harder and feel a little fresher because I'm not just doing the same ol' thing. The plus size tires and/or a 29er would probably be different enough for me to come away thinking I might "need" a different bike. I am not an N + 1 guy, so I am never looking for an additional bike, just my next bike.

Glad you had fun on the plus sized tires - enough to get that wallet twitching! :cool:

25. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Thanks Herzalot. You summed it up very well. When all was said & done and I hopped back on my Ripley to pedal home it just felt like that super comfy pair of slippers we all have. Still fun to play with other people's stuff without having to pay for it though.

Mikie, UPSed, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  26. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    voodoo chile
    wuz riding wild
    hd mojo cast'a spell
    he fell in love..
    and then he fell--
    down to the ground
    with thunderous sound!
    got back up..
    and suffered still
    until a chilled ale
    met his lips
    and when he sip'd
    (a big wave brew)
    his pain was eased;
    he smiled anew!

Be well, Voodoo Tom, and healing thoughts from your riding brothers and sisters way down in (the world famous) OC.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Dayumm, between you and @rossage we got us an IMTB Poet Laureate Throwdown!

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  28. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Now that put a great big smile on my face, thanks @kioti :D

Mikie, herzalot, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  29. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    You got it Man. Think R.I.C.E. and make a speedy recovery!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  30. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I've been doing demos the last year or so when I can. It is amazing the difference that bike component setup can make. Yesterday I rode a 5010 and Bronson for the 3rd and 2nd time. First time I rode a 5010 I loved it, thought it climbed and descended amazingly well. 2nd time SC put obnoxiously wide bars on it, and it made it so awkward I had a hard time riding it. It had been quite a while so I wanted another opinion, and this time their entire fleet was 35 or 50mm stems. Why on earth would they put such a short stem on a bike that is supposed to climb well? Made it very hard to climb any steeper or techy sections - sections I seldom have problems cleaning on my current bike. They did not have any longer stems to swap out. It descended great of course, but when I spend probably 3/4 of a ride's time climbing I want a bike that can do that well also.

Both the 5010 and Bronson seemed to drag on the climbs, like I was not getting as much forward movement as I should given the effort. I had not noticed this before. When I took a Pivot switchblade out it didn't seem to have this issue despite plus tires. That bike was the first Pivot I liked. Put some normal tires on it and that could be a great bike for me. I tried a Turner RFX last weekend, for the second time. The first time I thought it rolled and climbed incredibly well. Last weekend was Idy bike fest, so I had it for a 4 hour ride. It rode great on all the techy parts but it definitely felt like more of a pig on the climbs. The trails up there are a great testing ground for bikes, so much different terrain. I need to get back on a Mojo3 and HD3 again, and maybe the new Flux. I have been on a mojo SL for 7 years and it has served me very well. It seems to me like the DW link makes for a more efficient climber than VPP so I will probably stick with one of these.

Has anyone tried a split pivot bike, like Salsa or Devinci?

kioti, Cougar, Mikie and 3 others like this.