I rode on platform pedals today, no really I did, and it did not suck

Discussion in 'Flats' started by dustyyoungblood, May 26, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Toes down .. backward pressure. There are some good vids on it.

My faith in this site has been restored a well positioned Sam Peckinpah reference. Still remember when I first saw The Wild Bunch

DangerDirtyD, herzalot, mike and 2 others like this.
  2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yeah, I'm going to focus on learning to manual it. It's like starting off as a newb. FWIW, the front end feels REALLY heavy. I know it's longer/slacker, but figured the shorter stays would balance that out. I'm blowing through stuff a lot more...

3. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I made the transition back to flats a couple trail work days ago. Maybe I just didn't want to wobble around on my cleats like a drunk runway model swinging a big pick. Anyway, RF Chesters from Amazon in basic black and some old Harsh skate shoes from Big 5. Worked like a charm.

The pedals felt big and solid, and those piranha teeth pins gripped my soles with the promise of so much more. Climbing was fine, walking around was dreamy, and I only rodeo cowboy'd it once while flying back down the trail. Yeehaw!

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I rode the Highball down Motorway yesterday. After riding the Chameleon for the last 1000 miles, the Highball felt like it was in the air the whole time. Light and flippy versus heavy and planted!

5. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    I find that actual mtb flat shoes work better than any skate shoe. Enough so that I think it's worth the extra coin.

6. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    Baby steps, my friend (but no doubt good advice). I've been clipped in or strapped on for nearly 50 years! :)

I did have some much-loved 5.10 approach shoes in my climbing days, so there might be some latent brand loyalty still in play.. :inlove:

7. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Hooray! I bunny hopped a few times today!
    I tell ya', that front end is gravity-bound to the ground!

@Faust29 Does going to a 29er set up on the Chameleon make it any easier to pop up and get airborn? I'm thinking some of it has to do with the heavy plus wheels/tires on it...

8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It is much closer to a traditional feel with the 29ers...

9. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Well I ordered the dropouts and they should be coming in today.... just keeping my eyes open for a wheelset now! Tempted by these: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2288640/

Tom the Bomb and mtnbikej like this.
  10. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    148x13?

Tom the Bomb and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    That's why they're cheap (presuming a 12 there)!!!

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Speaking of platform pedals...I think I will use those to get everything set on the Kona once I have all the parts. Those who know, is that a good idea? I will be running clipless once it's set up.

Tom the Bomb and Faust29 like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I only have the 27.5 dropouts... And haven't had any issues between wheel sizes. But I am considering the 12x142, so I can run my lighter wheels off the Highball.

14. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Interchangeable wheels are a wonderful thing. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb likes this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Don't do it.....it'll cause an irreversible shift in the earth gravitational rotation.....causing worldwide annihilation. Or not.

16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I'd say only do it if ya got em already. Having dabbled a bit with flats on a borrowed bike lately I can say that a quality pair doesn't really give away much if anything as far as efficiency and they're actually kinda fun. Only thing I find is I'm constantly moving my foot around looking for that place where my knees are happy on flats. Also I like the feeling of not being spit off and having pretty shins so it's clips for me.

17. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I got the 29er ones on a pretty good sale, so went ahead and picked them up. I tell you though, the 27.5 wheels were great in rocky/sandy wash trails today!

Tom the Bomb and Voodoo Tom like this.
  18. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I have clips.. but my shins are not pretty..

19. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Its not your shins that get chewed up it is your calves.
    I have a set of roval traverse 27.5 fatties like new for sale!

Cornholio, Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.
  20. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Well I went for a Fun Foray on Flats LCWP, all this talk about flats. Got alate start, beautiful day.

I have some nice 510 shoes and chromag contacts.

I am not planning to convert I just want to experience and learn some of my buddies that came from BMX and ride flats have such great control... And style. I feel it will only make me a better rider.

I did some reading last night to make sure I remember some of the basics heels down when descending little bit of toes down when getting air Etc. I ride them a couple rides last year then got distracted.

Even with the reading, I did a quick kind of mini tail whip out if the gate and came off my pedals on the very first try it was a good reminder.

Overall I rode everything that I should have including Lizards and TNA. I even sessioned the oddly spaced pump bumps on TNA just to get a bit of that feel.

A couple jumps on lizards I stayed connected that's good.

The chunk on TNA felt good.

Technical climbing felt very good. In fact I just attacked a place I sometimes hesitate, no need since instant out.

Whoever says you can't pull up / pull through the stroke on flats don't believe them, I just dropped the toe a bit and pulled through with the heel and knee all good.

At the beginning I struggled a bit with the heels down. Mr. Brown is not the most flexible person combine that with the deadlifts I just did on Thursday I was about as flexible as a carbon chain stay in my hamstrings. So dropping the heels kind of forced my hips back more than I would like and the Bronson likes to be ridden medium or attack position so I felt as a bit too far back and the front was wandering a bit. But as I loosened up I could drop my heels and stay and more neutral position.

I did notice I need to be more conscious about the feel of the bike and going with the bike not trying to muscle around. One of the articles I read said that riding with Flats is a bit more of a negotiation than riding with clipless. That made sense.

The second time on lizards I opened up a bit but I was also a bit tired I felt and only felt lightly connected a few times through the rocks I had to consciously drop the heels.

Other thing I struggled with is you're cruising along and you're too low of a gear you go to pedal in your feet come flying off.

So I had a good time but I had to think / concentrate more I suspect that will become more natural the more. I will ride a few more times and see how it goes.

No shin or calf digs...this time!

Afterall change is good...
    Unless your are Leon from "The Professional"

20 miles 2800'
    Screenshot_20180120-195415.png

21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    A good review, Mr. Brown!

bvader likes this.
  22. code3

code3 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    I ride both, depending on the trail conditions and my mood. My default for the hills is flats because I'm not crazy about the way my bike moves in the air when clipped in. For anyone playing around with them who typically rides clipless, I'd recommend giving it at least double digit rides before making the switch back.

kioti, Tom the Bomb, Makoto and 6 others like this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Rode the flats again today.. gonna ride em more.

Question : What does "Pedal Flip" mean with respect to flats?

herzalot likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Is it not when the pedal turns over? I think those who ride flats have a preference as to how easily or how slowly the pedals turn over. I am guessing if you are removing your feet for stunts, you don't want pedals spinning randomly.

On the other hand - I could just be completely wrong.

kioti, Cyclotourist and bvader like this.
  25. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    It's when your pedals end up over your head. As in coming up off the lip, and performing a backward somersault.

Or not. It sounds good, but I have no idea what I'm talking about.

26. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Pedal flip is when your foot slips off the pedal and it spins around. Usually off the front leading to a nasty calf gash. It happened to me regularly in the early stages of my transformation. I have the scars to prove it. Interestingly enough I cannot ever remember slipping off the back like the old days and bashing a shin. The new pedal pins are very grippy.

kioti, mike, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Thanks @Tom the Bomb ... found a description elsewhere that matches yours...Apparently it can happen during aggressive pedalling/ climbing. I will keep that in mind

kioti, Tom the Bomb and herzalot like this.
  28. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    When pedaling with flats drop your heal a bit and drag your foot through the pedal stroke.

code3, kioti, bvader and 1 other person like this.
  29. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    When I have to power through climbs on my flats, I imagine i stepped in doggy doo doo, and am trying to scrape it off my shoe

30. This is the best advice ever.

bvader, Tom the Bomb and Cyclotourist like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?