I rode on platform pedals today, no really I did, and it did not suck

Discussion in 'Flats' started by dustyyoungblood, May 26, 2017.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. You got that right 100%

Danmtchl and Cornholio like this.
  2. At one time these would have been considered the "Best" MTB pedals you could use.
    $_1.JPG

46eff5b78f17dacf8212b474aff21d42.jpg
    crupi5568095d2df_blowup.jpg

mike, kioti, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That first pair looks a lot like my road pedals when I was a kid, but I had leather straps... On my lightweight 26 pound Schwinn!

kioti, Danmtchl and Cornholio like this.
  4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I remember spending money I made from umpiring on a pair of Shimano pedals with toe clips like ^^those back in the early 90's at Orange Schwinn. Those pedals, grips and a new seat were the only "upgrades" I made to that bike, my first MTB (Sterling Discovery).

I feel like those of us who grew up riding a lot whether it be BMX or MTB (or both) have an advantage over those who try to learn certain skills (like jumping and bunny hopping) as adults. I can get on my beach cruiser in flip flops and bunny hop the heck out of it no problem, even after being "clipped in" for the prior 100+ rides before. When I did try clipless for the first time almost 5 years ago I never once fell over because I "forgot I was clipped in" or whatever woes I see new clipless users say they struggle with.

I guess my point is that for some people the differences between using either style pedal is minimal where others may have a much harder time adapting to one or the other. And dammit, you got me to talk about this damn dead horse topic again, get the hell off of my lawn!

kioti, Danmtchl, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I still want to give flats a try though I hear you need to good at least 15 good rides in with them.

I actually went strapless back in the day. I thought these were the coolest. I believe the ones I had were GT brand.814IyD5JmTL._SX355_.jpg

6. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    On the plus side, you probably won't forget to take your foot off the pedal when you stop, even the first time. And you'll actually be able to. :thumbsup:

Danmtchl and UPSed like this.
  7. I used to ride all over El Morro on my dads steel bianchi with straps and plastic clips. We would flip them upside down bombing dh fire roads though.

Danmtchl likes this.
  8. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Yep, he manufactures and sells the pedals linked above..........

Danmtchl and Cornholio like this.
  9. Does that mean he's full of Sh!t?

Danmtchl likes this.
  10. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    I don't have any reason to say that. Just clarifying that the both of the sites with the"science" are from the same guy. I don't have anything against flats. In fact, I own a pair and do run them on occasion.

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. An update on this. Still on deity T-Mac flats and 5-10 freerider pros.
    The knee pain I used to get clipless is gone. My ankles do not fatigue as easily as they did clipless. I climb better on flats then clipless. At this point the only reason to return to flats would need to be overtly compelling.

bvader, kioti, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    ...because you miss the bad-ass click sound when rolling up to your homies in the parking lot at the end of the ride. All you hear in that scenario on flats is the inevitable cursing when you step off and your pedal scrapes the hell out of your calf. :eek: o_O

Just to drive @Varaxis crazy, we could make claims about how clip in pedals are more efficient, but I am not that cruel. (And they are not necessarily more efficient).

13. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Clipped in on the roadie and on race bikes (XC, CX, TT). Trail riding and enduro I run flats.

14. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Interesting I ran a flat experiment(based on just wanting to try, and thinking that I could learn more ... need to go back and try / work on it again more.
    A got some 510s and some Chromag. both seem really good.
    Bad / Good part, I had no trouble at all Bunny Hoping, and Did a good job Climbing right out of the gate.
    That first Jump on Lizards...well that was a different story... and chunk and weighting / un-weighting like transitioning side to side on a descending grooved single track is where I was struggling. Some point I will go back and try some more but coming disconnected from the bike on that firs jump was a rude awakening (yes I know that is a side affect of riding clips). I did not have time to get fully up to speed before Park City and then have not got back again. Funny I thought about doing all the research / riding and the report back, but @dustyyoungblood beat me to it!

I really like my clipless set up CB Enduro Mallets with my new Spec 2FO ( picture was old Pearl Aplp X which were good till a tore them apart in a disorganized dismount)
    IMG_20170423_161043.jpg

Here is my flats
    IMG_20170422_184851.jpg

IMG_20170422_184915.jpg

Damn those are big pictures ... (phone lies some times)

15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Huh ran across this on another site, practical insight.. cool place to ride and making me think I need to get out and do a little more flat out practicing

16. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Haha me too. Flying W. Luckily I landed on the seat! Toughest part for me is technical climbing , keeping my feet on the pedals. TTB tip. Drop your seat an inch lower riding flats. Drop your seat another inch when technical rocky climbing. On flats 2 years now. The only calf gouges I get now is when I am descending and forget I am in a low gear and I spin off the front of the pedal.

I do not get hot foot any more and my 510s are sooooo comfy. Do not half to worry about worn out cleats or pedals. Spank pedals are lighter, thinner and tougher. I have a pair of ht pedals that are crazy light and durable. Had them on my xc tallboy for a year now, no issues. They were not cheap though!
    Ride on Baby!

Faust29, Grego, kioti and 7 others like this.
  17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @Tom the Bomb thanks for tips, they basically gave the same ones in the video too so I will employ that. What do you think of those pedals I went round and round (lol both figuratively and literally) I'll have to get out there and try a bit more.

Tom the Bomb and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. kioti

kioti iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Jim Jennings
    Current Bike:
    ibis ripley
    I've gone back and forth a bit. First, when my entry level cleats clogged constantly and wouldn't let me unclip. And later when I wanted to gain more confidence on steeps. Both times I've gone back to clipless because they feel more secure. But I might try some flats again for trail work days if I can find some decent shoes that fit my (wide) feet. It'd be nice not to be tromping around in the mud this winter in Sidi Dominators.

19. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I put flats on my Chameleon, as that's all I had handy. Lived to tell the tale! But I was wearing my regular Lake shoes with the cleats on them, and that wasn't exactly comfortable or best connection. Might leave the flats on, but don't know if I should have an entire new pedal system in conjunction with an entire new bike. Or maybe that's the best way to learn the bike. Sam Hill, watch out!

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, bvader and 5 others like this.
  20. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    The pedals are great. Both of them. They stick to my 510s like glue!

DangerDirtyD and bvader like this.
  21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    LOL thx I realize I was totally unclear on my question I meant what do you think of that Cromags that I bought they work great I just think maybe they're bit thick.

Tom the Bomb and DangerDirtyD like this.
  22. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Ahh got ya. Yes they look a bit thick for me. I do a bit of techy climbing and with the low bbs these days could be tricky. If you are not smacking them you are good. Just be careful flats are usually wider than clips. I smacked a rock on a ride up at Mt. Lowe. It was not pretty.

kioti, bvader and herzalot like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I tried to bunny hop on flats yesterday and pretty much jumped off my bike. Yeah, that was fun.

Faust29, bvader, kioti and 1 other person like this.
  24. It’s a different technique

Cyclotourist likes this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Squashing my saddle with my thighs to hold on with my fit in the air, that's definitely a different technique!!!

herzalot likes this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You need to back pressure the pedals, dude! Practice just lifting the rear a little first. You'll get the feel.

I tried bunnyhopping my Santa Cruz V-10 right after I bought it, never having ridden flats before in my life. I took myself to the ER with blood spewing out of my shin drenching my shoe, Sam Peckinpah style. :bang:

Faust29, bvader, mike and 1 other person like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I didn't quite do that good, but tried! I actually lifted the front end up a few times this weekend, that was an improvement for me!!!

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I forgot to add that a 10" travel 45 lb bike with 4" of negative travel does not respond well to attempted bunny hops. It is built to be planted. When you dropped the bike on its wheels, it just stuck. No bounce at all. Thud. I did manage to get it figured out and could hop my DH bikes about 8" in the air with flat pedals. Yay me!

I still can't ollie a skateboard or ride a wheelie however.

29. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Someday...

herzalot likes this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    On flats trying to get a bike off the ground, I think it's easier to manual into a bunnyhop than straight BH; half your bike is already off the ground. And on the trail, that technique is much more useful than a straight BH – whether or not the back wheel fully clears. FWIW, JMHO.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?