I Rode My Single Speed Today!

Discussion in 'Singlespeeders' started by Cyclotourist, Apr 20, 2020.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    il_570xN.733011364_6a9p.jpg

2. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Fun morning ride before virtually working. Rode Deer Trail which is one of my favorite trails. Really nicely maintained right now! My legs hurt pretty wooden climbing up to that point, but then it was fun!

9/900/1

Hopefully didn't catch The Rona.
    IMG_20200826_073002.jpg

3. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Wednesday actually. Met up at the Yucaipa Community Park, and climbed Grape St to Yikes! up to Regional Park Trail. I felt great on Grape, but when the climbing got a little more serious on Yikes!, I fell apart. About mile 3.2 on the elevation profile. Had to stop a couple times and collect myself, but finally made it to the saddle. Rested a minute, then went down Regional Park Trail. RPT is usually a blast, but I was so shellacked from the climb, I just grabbed brake and was beat up on the descent instead of flowing it.

So, the takeaway... I just don't know if SS is the way to enlightenment for me. I really like it, but only when cruising on shorter/shallower rider. As soon as it gets steep, I just fall apart. I know that can change with mileage, but based on my certified weekend warrior status, I'm just not riding enough or consistently to be in condition. For my physiology, I can't just jump on a single speed and go! I'm thinking I better start riding my geared Tallboy more unless I get back in a regular riding rhythm.

Which is a bummer, as I really like have a SS to go to. But I like having a hard tail as well. Hmmm, might have to think up creative workarounds for this situation!

50303215172_b43328010b_b.jpg

mike, heyitsdave, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    :stop:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Them there is fightin' words.......

heyitsdave and Cyclotourist like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    This thread.....:laugh:

heyitsdave and Cyclotourist like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU. Good output on the ride! :thumbsup:

That's an honest take on your SS experience. It sounds like you are figuring out how to incorporate SS and have it be fun. I'm having a similar experience; figuring out what will still be fun with one gear.

I've ridden with powerhouse riders, some of them on this forum, and for them, grabbing the SS as a casual choice for any ride is NBD. Not ignoring the mental limitations we can put on ourselves, I'm simply not one of those riders. But with the right gear ratio and, sometimes, more attention to the ride plan, the SS can be super fun with minimal HAB up and spinning out the flats. I've done a handful of rides over 50 mi with it, and there was no notable suffering beyond a 12-mi spin when I bailed a plan. Some SSers like to poke at others pushing a low gear...I don't mind, I know what keeps me pedaling and having fun all day.

Every time I take out my SS I have new appreciation for it. Today was like that. The previous ride – it would have made it a chore. However ya slice em...bikes!!!!!! :inlove::geek:

heyitsdave, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  8. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Yeah, it's a learning curve. Figuring out what ya' got and what works... life lessons!

mike and mtnbikej like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?