I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Strawberry Monday... And Strawberry Thursday. Ross was not thrilled when I said it's turning into my Floop of the North. :eek:

It was quite chilly as we rolled out from Clear Creek. The fire road climb is a kick in the pants, but I kept the wind breaker on for the 2.5 miles. Upper 30s and low 40s most of the way.

Both of the meadows were frosted over today, and the ground was quite crunchy. :inlove:

The descent to Red Box is starting to take on a new line thanks to some helpful branches strategically located amongst the dozer tracks. The Gabrielino is a riot...

15.4/2800

Edit: The backup fork was awesome... It's been sitting on the shelf waiting to get put in the game. :thumbsup:

IMG_3129.jpeg

Luis, Fueledbyex8, Cornholio and 15 others like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Rode the back loops Lake Norman SP with my buds Steve and Bob. Great day, lotta fun, luvin' life!
    20.0 mi / 1850'
    Bikes at the trailhead after the ride.

bikes-at-a-trailhead.jpg

3. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Just went outside. Its cold outside. Motivation needs to carry me thru

4. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Got out waxing moon 1/4 full. Seemed cold but it was 68 at the start. People up on Albertson's heading and then leaving China Flats

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash, Transition Spur
    Quick ride yesterday. My morning Spin Class lap. 40° at 0700 at the corner of Mulholland and Las Virgenes. Saw some pros coming up behind me when I got the to top of Las Virgenes Downhill. Mind you, they were WAY behind me, but I felt compelled to not get passed on the way down. Managed to pull that off and get my bike loaded up before they emerged, with a few PRs along the way. 9.1/1244.

6. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    I took the day off work with riding in mind. I got out to Santiago Oaks for a weekday ride, which is definitely 100% better than the weekends as far as being crowded. I managed to hit Peralta, Hawk, Chutes, Barham twice, and Yucca twice for the downs. Almost all my downhill runs were gloriously free of people, although there was an off leash dog and a hiker on a sketchy part of Peralta. I had to take an alternate line to avoid the dog, and thankfully he did not move or it could have been a bad crash.

I also sessioned the drops at the flag which is always fun. Speaking of the flag, it is looking ratty. Too bad the ftards who stole/replaced herzalot's new Luge flag did not simply put theirs here instead. :facepalm:

Fun ride and I have Monday off too :thumbsup:

125797402_1508647972657720_8055282827956123262_o.jpg

CBone, Faust29, Cornholio and 10 others like this.
  7. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    those drops are fun! i don't bother with the far right one ... just don't feel the need..
    after the drop you can hit the tower line... with a lip jump at the end... wanna go out there now!
    even on weekends, not to bad after 2pm... in the am it is a zoo!!

8. schillingsworth

schillingsworth Member

Name:
    John Schilling
    Current Bike:
    Motobecane Ti 29er
    I rode another new-to-me bike today. I've had the good fortune to demo a few Binary Bicycyles over the past year. This one's different. Pinion drive.
    [​IMG]
    Binary Bicycles Kinetik Ti Pinion drive.

[​IMG]
    Is it a 1x12 or 12x1??? Hmmm.

[​IMG]
    Having to readjust to using gripshift.

[​IMG]

Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  9. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    Not a lot of miles today on the old bike. But, we rode the beast. 10.10 miles, 2095 feet of elevation. Good views from the top, could see to downtown LA and beyond.

Luis, herzalot, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  10. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    The Laguna area today. Parked at Nix @ 8 and, whew, it got crowded fast. The inside people are back out in full force, which does not surprise me after my Costco trip yesterday and watching people hoard toilet paper and water again. :alien:

It was a fun ride, although there were too many people out to really rip down any trails. A group of six very healthy and fit looking eBike riders passed me going up Willow, so there went my theory of "only fatties ride eBikes." Another group of riders passed me soon thereafter, but they were on hardtails and working for it. :p It looked like they were going even faster than the cheater bikes.

I rode Rattlesnake for the first time in over a year. That is a really fun trail. I took a bad line so had to dab once, but I cleaned it otherwise without taking the P-Line. I would ride it more, but I do not like the climbs to get back out of there and over to Ticketron. I wonder how bad a climb back up Rattlesnake would be ....? Lizards was a sh*t show, so I just cruised most of it. Camarillo was fun with minimal people, but I was pretty tired by then so took it easy.

Fun day on the bike overall. I will rest up tomorrow and then get out Monday for another nice weekday ride. When I left there were three cars vying for my parking spot. I hope they did not come to blows over it. :laugh:

Laguna.jpg

bvader, Luis, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Lately I can't read the title of this thread without singing it in my head to the tune of Johnny Cash singing "I hurt myself today". I digress.

bvader, Luis, Walleye and 6 others like this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Speaking of hurting myself.. I'm waiting on x-rays now... Fell down mentally sensitive..hit my head.. thumb is weird... W bone in wrong place.. oh well.. let's c if broken

doublewide, mtnbikej, tick and 8 others like this.
  13. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Socks it's broken thumb broken thumb at least it's not my head

bvader, doublewide, Luis and 9 others like this.
  14. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    So many ominous parallels to MTB in the lyrics of that song, if you listen the right way. Sorry to hear about the tumble. Good vibes sent for good news and speedy healing.

15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Was having a great run down five oaks then off to mentally sensitive feeling good and wamm.. not paying attention..

16. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Dude! Sh!t!

17. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great news about the noggin, sorry about the broken appendage! Quick healing to you! And FWIW, I’ve been riding with a broken rt thumb for the last 2mo, it’s doable if the break allows for shifting ;)

18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    That's actually great news.. That's the thing I'm dreading not being able to ride for a couple of weeks I think I might go nuts if I don't ride

mtnbikej, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Solo ride up Maxwell to #CT. I was surprised to come across a long distance trail runner and two hikers, we were all poaching so no trail use issues thankfully! I also came across a group of dirt bikers at the ST/ fire-road junction, we chatted for a bit then I took off and proceeded to take a little tumble in the ash and soot when my handlebar caught a burned up tree branch, welp...there goes my pride :Roflmao:coffee::x3::whistling:
    17.49 2139ft

A18F0AC2-F6DE-438F-B9D2-0032BDC750F5.jpeg

CBone, Walleye, Fueledbyex8 and 11 others like this.
  20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’m not a Dr, just a mtb kook like you so do what’s best for you:thumbsup:
    There’s always trail running or hiking!

21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    FYI, there is a specific way to set up your bike that avoids having to shift... I mean, till you heal up and all.

22. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Matt, JC is one of the best musicians IMO, and this song.....it’s off the charts amazing :thumbsup:
    TFP

mtnbikej likes this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Dammmmittt - but yes - glad it's not your head. Heal up quick KKC!

bvader, mtnbikej, konakc and 2 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    I love Rattlesnake. I wish there were three of them back to back! I pretty much always just turn around and climb back up. I can actually ride up a good portion of the chunk on Rattle, then push the rest. Then the ride up the singletrack (Red Tail?) isn't bad at all. As you said, there is no good way out of there without dumping a whole lot of elevation on a fireroad (Mach 1) only to have to climb it back on a loooong tedious "I Think I Can" and Moro Ridge You can turn right and climb back up Ticketron, but that climb sucks - as you mentioned.

Nice ride!

bvader, mtnbikej, konakc and 6 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    I rode my bike today too. Standard Aliso fare, mid day.

5 -Oaks was better than the last time I rode it. Maybe the rain and traffic after the rain helped it a little. The place by the oak where they removed the stairs was less rutted and fluffy than last time I was there. I tiptoed the entire run though because it's been so long and I wasn't warmed up.

Then up Cholla (PR), up the extra credit above Lynx, down Rock-It. Some guy elbowed his way past me just as the singletrack started on Rock-It. OK, strong pedaler, and I wasn't hammering. That's fine. He disappeared for the initial pedally parts, but guess who I reeled in halfway down the rock garden? Yup. I was tempted to pass him, but I just stayed off his Starboard quarter with my bell jingling saying "you're good - no hurry!" He let me pass after the little climb. Wheeeee!

Up Mathis to ToW over to Meadows. I know - at least five of you prefer Mentally Sensitive, so if I ever ride that direction with one of you, I'll give it another shot. It never seemed as much fun to me as the bermy flowy goodness of Meadow.

Then back up Coyote and Wood Cyn through the park, but I turned left and climbed back up through the neighborhood for one more romp down the hill. Lynx (PR). So fun!

17.5 m 2785' . Bikes Be Bueno! :thumbsup: :cool: :)

26. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, it's an insanely good rendition of that song. Despite singing the thread title in my head to the tune, I can't say that I've listened to the whole song, or especially watched that video in several years. It's quite powerful. I heard Rick Rubin on a podcast a while back saying that song was one of, if not the most poignant productions he'd been a part of.

27. Obsidian

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Cool and good to know. I will try climbing back up Rattlesnake next time. "I Think I Can" must be the one that looks freaking vertical. :laugh:

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Actually no. I Think I Can is officially East Cut Across I believe. It's an easy fire-road, but it feels long and adds a lot of time to your ride. That's probably why people like e-bikes. It's a fast forward button through the commercials to get to the good stuff.

mtnbikej, Cyclotourist, tick and 4 others like this.
  29. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Seriously, broken thumb?

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas