I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    THANKS! Can barely see the riders, glad you picked up on them! Preparing for the"Favorite pics of 2016" thread!!!

Mikie likes this.
  2. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I finally got back on my bike today after a long break off of it (Thanks Work :devilish:).

Usually when I'm off my bike for any appreciable length of time, I usually end up doing a Church<->Cook's run as a quick jolt to my system. So that's what I did, 30 miles and a smidgen over 1 Herz unit of climbing. Now to hopefully work goes back to it's much more usual pace so I can get back to my usual bike regimen :p

ridinrox, mike, Grego and 12 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Got out for a little ride today. Met up with Herz, Danimal, and N8 at IRP parking and they showed me some of Santiago Oaks.

This was my first ride with the tubeless 2.25" Maxxis Ardents I put on yesterday. All I can say is "wow." What a difference tubeless and higher volume tires make. I had no qualms about the grip and was going faster and more confidently that I ever have on downhill stuff.

I have no idea what trails we were on. One of the other guys can chime in with that. But it was a great morning on the bike. Everyone was willing to wait for me at the bottom. :) Great group of guys to ride with.

20160130_095740.jpg

upload_2016-1-30_12-50-36.png

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    Super cool running into RwS in the parking lot - then watching him muscle up his 29er with the super easy granny gear of 34 x 36. What a beast! :eek: He made it up everything save for maybe one switchback. Must be the new tires. :thumbsup:

Up Chutes Trail, Down Cactus Canyon, Up Bumblebee to play zones (rock rollers) and then up to the top little ledge drops. Down the Ridgeline to Deer Canyon. Deer to Anaheim, back up to Ridgeline. Down Barham Ridgeline to Cactus Canyon again. Up Mountain Goat. Then - at the top - the boys were talking about calling it a day and heading down. We only had 1800' at that point, so I says "let's do one more little loop. We have to get over 2000' - especially if we can't ride tomorrow." Luckily, they all agreed and we did another lap on Cactus Canyon/Mountain Goat. Then down Chutes Ridgeline. Yay - 2100'

Perfect weather - fun trails with some playful little drops, kickers and berms - and great company. :cool::thumbsup::)

5. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Yep, good ride with RwS Hrz and N8. Nice surprise the Runs With Scissors was there, made for a good group.
    The Oaks always seems like more elevation than it is, don't know why though. There is definitely some trail work going on since my last time to Oaks, and whoever is doing the work it is appreciated!

We rode Chutes, Deer run, up Mountain goat 2x and down Canyon Trail 3x. Not in that order though.

6. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yard sale in the morning kept me grounded, but I was able to go out for a quick afternoon loop. 15 miles, pretty flat, lots of sand.
    Getting out sure helps me keep my peace of mind! Hopefully can get some more miles tomorrow before the storm comes in!
    24624692931_ddff6b8a1e_b.jpg

ridinrox, Cisco Roots, Grego and 13 others like this.
  7. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    Just installed some new Thomson carbon bars so did a mini ride up quail trail to Serrano. I was going drop Camarillo but the rain was looking close so pulled the rip chord. Now I am home with the chills and a cold, I knew it was coming but wanted to get one last spin before the rain.

8. Mikie Robin Mcguire

Mikie Robin Mcguire Well-Known Member

Name:
    mikie and robin
    Since Mcg went with the crew to Death Valley. & Mcg always tells me to be safe ..Soo :) I was .Thank you

FB_IMG_1454208440274.jpg

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    "Safe" to say I've never seen police on dirt bikes before! Looks like a fun way to do the job. :thumbsup:

10. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ Well-Known Member

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Went for a road ride with the wife this morning by her request. We did 14 miles. Then went to lunch and dropped her bike off at the LBS. She struggles a bit climbing so I had them change the cassette. Hopefully this will help her. I was feeling good so I got the MTB ready and went out to Riverside Sycamore in the afternoon. Did 15+/1000+. First time in awhile I felt great.

11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    I rode my bike Sat. with T-2. Ran into the famous Krankin Kiwi as we were climbing. San Juan the super trail. Baaaaaallllllllz baby! The WFO felt great!
    Good riding Tom:)

12. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of being introduced to the every growing trail system P12 in Palmdale. The SVC MTB Group had arranged for the Squeaky Wheel group to show us around. About 40 riders from SCV MTB, Squeaky Wheel and the Pedal Mulisha started the ride. Local trail builder Rick O'Donnell and Mike Jones lead the way. Bob Vigil and Dr. Tony Smith swept keeping everyone on track since it was just a matter of time before the group fragmented. We hit a wide variety of trails. Cliff Hanger, Rick O Shay, Kluncker, Snake, O'Boy, North Ridge, Let er Roll, Valley View O, and Slinder O to name a few. Had a great time riding some really fun trails and making some new friends. The MTB culture is alive and kicking in SoCal.

Mikie, ridinrox, Cisco Roots and 17 others like this.
  13. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    So you got your shock sorted :thumbsup:

14. MattB

MattB Member

Name:
    Matt B
    Well, I didn't ride my bike today, but I'll take advantage of the rainy day at home to share my recent rides that I hadn't posted.

Ride 1:
    Last weekend I followed up my Harding/Joplin ride with another Path shop ride into the Santa Anas. This time it was my first time on Trabuco and Yeager. I'd heard about Yeager for a long time, and about how crazy steep it is, so I decided to join the ride and give it a shot. There were 7 of us on the ride, and we started off by driving in from the Live Oak shop to the dirt lot at the Holy Jim trailhead. We met the wild turkeys there, who seemed pretty pissed at mountain bikers. He didn't seem to like anyone there that morning, but he really kept going after the mountain bikers. We took turns holding him off with our bikes until we were ready to roll, then we took off. Since we drove in to the trailhead, it was only a 10.6 mile ride, but with 3,100 ft of climbing, it was tougher than I expected. I knew it would be steep coming down, but I underestimated the climb. It didn't seem that steep, but my legs and lungs thought it was. There was a decent amount of hiking before the fun descent down Yeager started. Yeager lived up to what I had heard: trying to control my speed down the crazy steep trail with tight switchbacks, roots and rocks. I was stoked to clean most of the switchbacks, only take one minor spill, and make it down in one piece. The final ride out on Trabuco was fun and fast after focusing more on control through the technical stuff coming down Yeager.

Ian and Nick on the way up
    image3.JPG

A lot of hiking, a little riding, and some great views as we approached Los Pinos Peak
    image4.JPG
    image5.JPG

We made it to the peak! All downhill from here!
    image7.JPG

One of the riders showing us how it's done. I had trouble just climbing down these rocks with my bike!
    image9.JPG

Ride 2:
    I got out Thursday night for a solo Luge ride. Nothing too eventful, but I think it's the first time that I didn't come across any other riders out there. As I got to the top, I did see two other headlights coming up STT quite a ways behind me. I actually saw more riders across the way coming down Harding at night. At first, just one headlight, then pretty soon it looked like maybe 4-5 riders snaking their way down Harding in the dark (was it anyone on this forum? It was just before 8PM). It was harder to tell, but I'm pretty sure there were a couple of lights up near 4 corners, too.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    IMG_5316.JPG

Last ride:
    I got out for a relatively quick ride at Oaks yesterday morning. It was my first time riding there since doing the SHARE/Non-Dot trail maintenance day earlier this month. It was pretty cool to ride some of the trails I helped work on, see how it's holding up, and to see the work that all of the other volunteers did that day. Apparently there were 53 of us out there! Here's a link to an article about the trail work: http://sharemtb.com/trail-work-day-in-santiago-oakswrap-up/

All-in-all a fun week of riding!

image8.JPG

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Cool rides and Ride Reports. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Mikie and MattB like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Jennifer and I rode our bikes today. Sat around in our jammies watching movies and listening to the rain. All of a sudden BAM! The skies cleared and I said let's ride! Just a trip down the DG/gravel bike path to see Niagara Falls.
    20160131_163355-1.jpg
    And the orange groves.
    20160131_161007-1-1.jpg
    Due to the planning of the wedding Jennifer hasn't had a lot of time to ride. She was very thankful to get out today.
    Screenshot_2016-01-31-17-12-14-1.png

Mikie, Cisco Roots, tortoise and 14 others like this.
  17. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    Thanks for the reports! Yes that is one crazy section on Yeager, I've never really even thought of trying to ride it, and it is really hard to walk your bike down it. Of course on the camera it doesn't look "that bad". Maybe next time o_O

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 7 others like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Wow, that's some great riding there! Can't even comprehend that's in SoCal! :)

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  19. CBone

CBone Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks for coming and riding with us. Totally awesome to have so many riders out enjoying our local trails. Enjoyed talking with you at Tom's post ride.

20. MTBHotRod

MTBHotRod Member

Name:
    Rodney Thompson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great meeting you to Tucker. Hopefully, we will ride together again soon.

Mikie and CBone like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Maiden voyage (term used loosely) on the singlespeed today. I was tempted to post it under Crash Confessions, since I suffered a broken ego.

I probably looked like I felt, cuz a couple of Britts hiking the trail asked "are you okay, man?" "Yea" I stopped. "Nice bike." "Yea, it's beating me up, it's a single speed." "Single speed?! Bloody 'ell!!"

IMG_0134.JPG

What a fun bike! Despite my lack of ability to turn the crank consistently, I had a blast not shifting or activating a dropper. Really dug rolling on the big wheels again – it's been many months off 29ers. Felt like a grown-up version of my old rigid Wicked Fat Chance. This is a really cool bike, and how amazing is it that I can get dropouts for geared, 12mm TA, and Rohloff...and put a tapered-steerer fork on it. I'm seeing a happy future for me and this bike :thumbsup:

I'd go rigid fork on for something like the Divide. For local trails a squish fork will be a must (as I was warned). Maybe I'll be able to pedal it up the hill one day...'til then it's nicely light for pushing!

abuck55, Mikie, ridinrox and 17 others like this.
  22. knucklebuster

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Canfield The One '12
    :thumbsup:

Mikie and mike like this.
  23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Good job on that @mike I've played around with the idea of getting a SS El Mar for when I'm riding with my kids. Plus better for transportation in the back of the car. Still might sometime!

As for me, I did go to the 11 y.o.'s practice today... damn windy-cold out there from 3:45-5:15. Fun times, she's getting stronger every week!

Mikie, mike and mtnbikej like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Good thoughts. One reward is the price of admission. I saw new SS EMs for as low as 1270. I got my lightly used '15 for 800. The only cost issue is the SS-specific hub; if geared capability is desired one must use a different rear hub. Surly makes an adapter to get back to SS from a geared hub. mtbj uses something like that, and it has not exploded yet, so there's a good sign. Or get the Rohloff dropouts and go that way. I feel like I really scored...I've got both traditional gear parts and a Rohloff waiting for deployment as needed. Bloody ell, it's blinding!

25. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yeah, there was a white one FS on CL for a while I was really looking at for $700. Probably should have just done it, but I have a slight n+1 bike problem. If I ever upgrade to a contemporary bike like a Tallboy/Ripley/Spider I'll probably turn my current Gunnar into a SS w/ a White Ind ENO eccentric hub. I really like the idea of SS for banging around in the back of the car, but I have my Quickbeam for that. Just not a MTB which I would like. First world problems... :)
    Keep those shades on!

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    And easily reachable from the O'Neill campsites... Next time you're in town.

Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Yeah, I'd like to make a couple days out of it... need to coordinate the next one a bit and line up some tour guides!!!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Is it still set up 32/21? I know I couldn't go any tougher than the 32/22 right now for the climbs around here... And even that's pushing it for the steeper stuff.

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    You have the full smorgasbord within reach! Whiting, STT, The Luge, Old Camp, Holy Jim, Trabuco, Caspers! :thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  30. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    You want to put something like this together for the IMTB crowd?

Mikie and Faust29 like this.