I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    Two rides in Aliso today. The first was 7 m/1500' and the second was 6 m/1000'. I was not feeling very strong - not sure why. Maybe the three meatball subs and two giant burritos I had during the week combined with no exercise.

The downhills were fun though, as always. And not crashing was fun, so there's that. More details in the Meg vs Rail thread.

13 m 2500' Bikes are fun! Two bikes are - funerer?

Ocpop, SingleTrackJB, bvader and 7 others like this.
  2. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Nope, wasn't me.

Ended up with an unplanned Skyline/Coal Cyn today. Just roamed around. The recently graded FR almost killed Rocky. He was partially buried but I found him. I'd need a drink too. 23/3600
    hsb.jpg

Ocpop, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 12 others like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike today. I did, I did. Back to an old route I used to frequent. Climb Caballero ST to dirt Mulholland. West to FR30 and ride up to the hub. From there I rode the Eagle rock loop in CCW direction.
    Hikers hanging out atop Eagle rock enjoying the view. The fireroad I will climb back on is on the lower left of the picture.
    4F13A15F-1D71-4927-AE92-C3845BF8BD64.jpeg

Back at the hub I hung a right and headed to backbone trail.
    BD9C7999-6B4E-4CEF-B429-9DC4A02A6B59.jpeg

Down backbone ST to the top of J Drop. The top section of backbone is nice and clear of overgrowth but as I descended past the oak tree halfway down, the trail started to disappear in the tall grass. J Drop was an adventure because of the high brush and deep ruts. Had to stop and ponder the line on a couple of sections and I even got scraped up on my left shin as I slid into a rut.
    Took a small break at the bottom in front of what is left of the Murphy ranch barn.
    7DF2C9B3-DA2B-4CFB-804E-995732E41E91.jpeg

Now it was time to climb back up to the ridge so rode up Sullivan FR. Temps were starting to climb so I put my head down and just pedaled it out.
    Half way up, this big oak tree provides a nice shady rest stop.
    F28A531C-C715-4F0F-97D5-B7A31F540952.jpeg

Finished up the climb to Mulholland and took Farmer’s to the top of Caballero. It was getting toasty now so the ST was a lot less people-ly.
    Final stats.
    8EEAF7AB-1A96-49F5-96C8-ABE8B6E9854A.jpeg

Ocpop, Redman, Cyclotourist and 14 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah, he was down there today.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    I had sooooo much fun on my ride last weekend....I decided why not do it again.

Temps were supposed to be much warmer, so I started earlier. Rolled from the Tree Farm @ 3:50

Things you see in the canyon.....
    C5496ECE-F3B2-4237-A788-0B455E6C6A76.jpeg

Seemed like a fair amount of traffic on Maple Springs.....the hunters were getting an early start. Most were considerate....one went by like I wasn't even there. It was dark, and I had both a headlight and taillight going. Disappointed in the amount of trash being left out there by the hunters....beer cans and beer cases everywhere.

Made it to the top of the Bedford climb and it was still dark. Just before the silt ruts of death, I bounced a night hawk off my head tube. Wasn't feeling great, but heard a vehicle coming up behind me as I approached the Motorway....there were 4 trucks there, so I just rolled through. As I did the big climb to Eagle, I finally got caught by 2 trucks that had been tailing me.

E25A9CC8-4F92-47A6-897E-5D5396C1545A.jpeg

8414B2B1-ED4D-4AF5-8551-D666563C0183.jpeg

More kitty tracks....I'm getting closer to catching up to one.
    8A93ECE6-54EE-4167-AFE4-C21B5258A4EF.jpeg

D2B0A14E-2FC5-4407-9332-18404C0FFD6D.jpeg

Typical fun run down Eagle. Made it to Skyline for the bottle refill. Temps had been comfortable all morning. Strong breeze blowing up Maple and up on Main Divide. I wanted to be at the top of Skyline before 9:00....as the temps were supposed to start climbing. It was about here I realized that my seatpost had been slipping down in the frame....like 10mm. No wonder why my quads were burning.

It was a slow slog up Skyline. It was warming up but still not "hot". Stopped in the shade a few times. No chasing rabbits today.

I knew to get 7000' I was gonna have to climb up to the Doplar Ball. When I reached the turn off for Sierra Peak, I took it. I made it up 2 climbs before I ran into a hunter. I turned back at this point. Rolled through Beeks' and up to the Doplar. It wasn't pretty but I got there.

The run down Blackstar was pretty quiet today. Even the lower canyon was not so peopley.....but there were a Sh!t ton of cars in the canyon.

Fun day in the canyon this morning.

43.5 / 7150'

Screenshot (223).png Screenshot (224).png

Ocpop, tick, Redman and 15 others like this.
  6. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Rode today BBay to Bommer Canyon LCWP + El Moro.

Had to call paramedics for an experienced hiker, she seemed to have a case of heat exhaustion / bad bonk she wasn't going any further.

She looked like she was going to be okay but not fun day for her or her husband.

Bommer Ridge.

They sent the helo to keep an eye on us while the paramedics were en route. That guy circled us with the dude on the skid.. ready for action

PXL_20201017_195415141.jpg

31/3100

Ocpop, tick, Redman and 15 others like this.
  7. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Met up with a friend at the Snow summit lot. 43 degrees at 7:30!!!!! Great temps for a change , topping out mid 70s around noon. Rode Skyline east to plantation, then west, finishing with fall line....love that trail. Saw good number of bikers and hikers, not crowded though. Perfect day for a ride!

temporary_file4836921772123422223.jpg

IMG_20201017_094644.jpg

Ocpop, tick, Redman and 17 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Looks and sounds great!

9. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Looks like a great loop. Although I love Sulli cyn with all the air, flat yes, but so many things to hit and leap. Of course Farmers is always a quick treat and bouncing air off the baby heads all the way down Cab is just icing on the cake

10. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5 & Ibis Ripley
    Last day yesterday at 18 Road in Fruita. It’s not the most scenic place so not many photos. Plus, we were riding non-stop to get done, get back to the hotel to shower, pick up pizza at Hot Tomato and get on the road. As you can see here, as usual, @pdqmach26 is waiting on me before we drop in Zippity Do Da

B33ED01F-B0F8-4F66-9B6E-67055670B0C3.jpeg

~JB~, Ocpop, tick and 13 others like this.
  11. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Later start than I wanted today.. was hoping to have tires on dirt as first light hit, but got slowed down as the 3 year old decided to get up at 6 AM.
    Only had 1/2 hour delay though, arriving to a very full lot above the Dalton fire station at 7 a.m. group of shuttlers were getting ready to go up... (Still don't see the attraction of shuttles on Monroe.....)....
    Climbed, lower section below Mystic had quite a few hikers. Then caught up to a small group of riders at the top of Mystic. Let them get out of sight while I rested, eventually over taking them shortly thereafter.
    8 to 10 riders coming down as I climbed the second half, and still hikers, which are usually rare on the higher portions.

Had to pull over for the train of shuttlers on the last push to the top.

Took a break at the top (didn't go to the hwy), and turned around for the fun.

Decided to hang a left down Mystic Canyon today for a bit more steep loose downhill fun.
    I hated this trail on the Rockhopper.
    But really fun on the fuse.

Ocpop, Faust29, Redman and 9 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Whiting Luge Whiting today with @Ocpop, @Danimal, @Lost Kiwi and Paul’s friend John. Fun run with great people, although I didn’t see them very much while climbing. And Simon is wicked fast Both up and down on his new YT.

I set PRs on every segment. (First time using STRAVA over there). One of us has a KOM on a short downhill segment. :whistling: Hint - not me.

I ran my Rail as a full 27.5 and it was really fun on the turns. Living up to its name.

Dan, Paul and Simon were climbing machines!

15.5 miles. 2400’ bikes are fun.

Ocpop, tick, SingleTrackJB and 13 others like this.
  13. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I roded my bike today on some new to me dirt. Late Nite Trailhead in the west side going to Red Rock. I’m not familiar with any of these trails or the area. Lots of stopping to get out my phone and check Trailforks. All good, didn’t get lost and die. Part of my ride was through some of the burn areas from fires a few months back. Came across at least a dozen riders. All of which were extremely nice. Everyone pulled to the side to let me pass WAY before I could try to do the same. It’s crazy out here, good trail etiquette. Hit a bunch of trails, some I shoulda ride down instead of up. Techno and Suicide Elevator are lung busters. I had to stop and bring my heart back inside my chest several times. Deadhorse Loop starts and stops and picks up again several times. Kinda strange. But a fun trail none the less. Real easy to keep your speed. Take those fingers off the brake levers and let her flow. After all the deadhorse stuff I got to 3 Mile Smile. This trail is what lured me to ride this area. I’ve heard a lot about this trail on the local social media platforms in the LV area. People going on about the flow and how tech it is with really good sight lines. What a hoot! Smooth and fast, yet rowdy and tech. VERY little climbing in this single track that makes its way down a large washout from 1000’s of years ago. Most of this trail is red rock, so traction is primo! Three or four 3 - 4’ drops. One of which is at speed so you launch! I wish I knew this trail and had the endurance to push it from start to finish. I got about 3/4 down and had to put it on cruise control. Lungs were busting. After 3 mile it’s only a few mikes of relatively flat st back to the lot. Good day exploring new trails. I’ll be back for more after some rain. No bad days!

669D136E-6785-456A-8920-757B89D5DC9F.jpeg

0526431E-B227-4733-A16D-C2716BE61AE9.jpeg

C3E03210-FA4F-49CC-A15C-DB8A0DAEE648.jpeg

170430A5-3F21-4F3D-92CC-DF8423A23C17.jpeg

DFBC1E9E-1507-4C5F-9005-83483EC27DD7.jpeg

26A3458F-B190-4853-9814-E66A98A33750.jpeg

7033E85A-4E64-447F-897A-ADF10B2085E7.jpeg

76FD57A5-C6C4-48BA-8B37-7552C70923B8.jpeg

~JB~, mtbMike, Stkx66 and 19 others like this.
  14. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Was a great morning riding with some top people. Got to say a massive thanks to @herzalot for taking a look at my fork, he worked his magic and got it heading in the right direction :thumbsup:. Whiting was pretty busy but the Luge was surprisingly quiet. Perfect for attempting a good run down. @herzalot disappeared into the distance and I went to follow suit. Made it about 4 corners down when I bottomed the back rim again (lesson learnt, tire pressure gauge inbound) sealant everywhere as I gashed the tire pretty bad. Stans dart to the rescue, those things are worth the money, smashed that bad boy in there and now only had a small leak at the bead to contend with. Got enough air in to limp down the rest of the way and then aired it up proper and finished the ride.
    I have to say @Danimal all juiced up on caffeinated tailwind is a sight to see! Dude just goes ripping up hills on the stuff, they should use him for before and after test comparisons :Roflmao
    @Ocpop's friend John cleaned everything which was damn impressive given it was his first time out to the Luge and only his second time in Whiting. He even managed to keep everything the right way up. Last time I rode with him he impressively launched himself of a jump at San Clemente single tracks - the landing was equally as impressive but for all the wrong reasons!
    @herzalot was handing out the wisdom as well. Coaching tips for John and some tinkering to do on @Ocpops bike, I hadn't picked up on it but his bars are way to high relative to his saddle, will reverse the spacer stack and I think he'll be surprised how much front end control that gives him back.
    Roadied home to get some extra miles in before @DangerDirtyD's death march next weekend.
    25.5mi and 2880ft

15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I think @buggravy may have a ride report coming. And his Smash is now thoroughly broken in. Deflowered.

And @Luis might need a new helmet. But he has a very clean elbow.

And note to self- Don’t freeze the bladder. I think it’s still frozen.

#SanGabesBackyardEpic

16. clydes001

clydes001 Member

Name:
    clyde
    Current Bike:
    cannondale m400 (classic)
    Easy ride today with my boy from the house to Haskell Canyon Open space. A good day to ride on a relatively empty trail. We didn’t hit the jumps, and that was perfectly fine. Much more of a leg stretch ride than a pure fitness mileage one.

Many bunnies and birds out in the canyon today. Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash, Transition Spur
    Wow, what a day. I’ll gather some thoughts later, after I gather a steak dinner. But it was one of my favorite days on the bike for sure.

18. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Life is interesting... Called paramedics yesterday ....today I almost needed that call... Pumping away on the HT...My quick reactions and some good or bad timing depending how you look at it ..

Teenage girl in honda flew out from behind a Parked RV turned left right in front / into me.

We both skidded to a stop me lined up right next to the driver side window. She looked at me a kinda giggled...me I Roared!!! Which I can...scared the crap out of her hopefully she will learn.

Just a kid... I was one once..

Me I was thinking rest the way home what if I was pushing a bit faster.. I would have been grill meat... And Hospital bound for sure.

19. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    This happened to me a few years ago but I t-boned the gal and likely totaled her Prius. She's lucky I hit the back half of her car or else she'd be very dead. Her fault. Young, dumb, and... :D

20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Same thing happened to your rear end on STT after Joplin! I remember what happened when @burt replaced his Klein. Looking forward to seeing you and Burt together!

21. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I was on my bike I would taken the worst of it for sure...

22. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    I'da hucked her car! :D

23. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Suz and I got out of our neighborhood this morning.

We headed up the mountain.

She is still coming back from a tweaked back, so her riding has been limited.

We rolled up to the Snow Summit lot.....CLOSED, so we rolled back down to the overflow parking where we were the only car. 39*.....and it was great.

Briscone to Fern to Skyline.

E33C1CCD-49A1-4F13-9AD8-A519CD0CA957.jpeg On the way up the first section of Skyline(plumbers) a couple of ebikes caught up to us....we decided not to move over. One finally went off trail and around us....without a word. He waited for his buddy at the first road crossing. Again we didn't stop and just kept going. Of course they caught up again. This time Suz pulled over...not for them, but for a break. Again, not a word as they went by. I waited a minute, then chased them down. 43/7200' yesterday, my legs were a little spent...but still caught the motor bikes. Then they pulled over, I dropped them and didn't see them again til I stopped at Radford.

603D1070-1970-4E38-B28E-0661094E4877.png 92DE30B0-C8C2-4E6C-92D5-9A2B502FE64F.png

From there we had the trail to ourselves for quite a while. Suz set the pace, I just followed along. It was buggy if we stopped or slowed down.....never had to put the net on.

Did pass a few random riders, but with Snow Summit being closed, the trail was pretty quiet.

Made it to the top of 7 Oaks. Our plan was to do an out and back so we could go down Fall Line. At this point we were 9.5 miles in....Suz didn't think she had Plantation in her. So she took a break and I did a quick run up to Grandview Point.
    665871CC-5D9F-4DB8-8F04-B76F0FCE84A4.jpeg C171CEB0-0399-466A-B993-43139C8047B1.jpeg

From there we headed back on Skyline. More and more ebikes.
    A4849925-1AB2-4B00-8525-6DFE35D16538.jpeg 33A8EBEC-D629-4664-8812-9DAF96348FA2.png 14155E7B-7324-419D-B058-ED8C04F82C73.png

Finally made it to Fall Line. Only 2nd time down the new trail. Once again, Suz led the charge. Trail seemed a little less chunky this time. Still a fun DH to finish the ride.

Quick stop at Rocky's for a sammy.

19.5 / 2200' Perfect.

~JB~, DBMX119, Stkx66 and 20 others like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    Welcome to Blue Diamond riding. And nice Patch-nosed snake encounter. :cool:

Redman, Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Dude! That’s scary stuff! Glad your ok, there have been a lot of close calls going around.

Faust29, bvader, Luis and 2 others like this.
  26. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I rode my bike with @buggravy and @Faust29 today. Yesterday after my ride in the Santa Monica’s I was thinking of what to ride for today. Well, the answer came in the form of a text from Steve:
    Up Lower Sam and then the fire road to Eaton Saddle. Down Mount Lowe East, Middle Sam, Sunset and El P.
    Some climbing and a lot of chunkapaloosa type descents.
    It was Matt’s first time going all the way to the top today. Knocked it out of the park too!!
    02796A23-55B4-45E8-9CE0-1D6D4825CC58.jpeg 89114637-FBFD-49EE-AF10-0AD0CC0F68B7.jpeg 193A29FE-F35F-4055-9C17-04769CAE670A.jpeg 8D0D1EB3-0DAE-47C5-AE3C-42A65C7F7655.jpeg 74C15F9B-E173-44C1-A0E0-6271AE26C061.jpeg F274FD9D-E901-45C0-832E-45BDB61196C1.jpeg
    Other than the tree branch breaking my helmet and ringing my bell, it was an awesome day on the bike. Rides like these are awesome with great company :)

disclaimer: this ride is not for beginners or intermediate riders. Too many places along the route where things was go horribly wrong. I’m not saying stay away but recognize that you will be walking a lot :)

~JB~, Stkx66, buggravy and 15 others like this.
  27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash, Transition Spur
    Ok, as @Faust29 said, I rode my bike today. I rode the eff out of it. One of my favorite days in the saddle, for sure, and further evidence that the San Gabes are the shizz. This ride has been building for a while. Front range madness with a long soul crushing climb to start, followed by many miles of mega chunky, mega exposed, down hill single track, with epic views always on tap with a quick glance to the side (if you dare look away from what's in front of you). Did I mention the climb was long? 4k feet of continuous climbing before we ever pointed the bikes down hill, though we took some breaks at a few awesome destinations along the way. Echo Mountain, Inspiration Point, and finally Eaton Saddle.

The downhill though. Holy crap, the downhill. I was told I was in for one hell of an adventure, and likely the most technical riding I'd ever done. I was fully prepared to walk a lot of stuff, but while there were certainly several "oh hell no" moments, I was pleasantly surprised how little I had to walk. Don't ask me about dabs though. Anyway, Mount Lowe East, Middle Merrill, Sunset, and finally capping it off with El Prieto. Outside of Cannell I'm sure I've never had anywhere near that level of sustained techy downhill. Quite simply, it was the bomb. And while it was definitely all that it was billed to be, I didn't feel the constant nag of the exposure like I did previously on the Gab from Switzers to JPL. As @rossage said, things come at you so fast you don't really have time to notice the exposure.

Ultimately this was probably my most confidence building day yet. Still riding the high from it. As always @Faust29 and @Luis were fantastic tour guides, and a blast to ride with. 28/5,175. Bikes are so fun.

Ocpop, evdog, bvader and 14 others like this.
  28. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Do you think those first Ebikers realized you were holding a clinic?

mtnbikej likes this.
  29. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    This was the ride that made me realize we don’t need no stink’n shuttles.

mtnbikej, scan, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  30. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Yea this route will be free of shuttlers until the road to Eaton saddle reopens. I don’t think we saw any Tesla bikes today either.

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and herzalot like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?