I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    ebb and flow

2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    How do firefighters do it?!

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    With OBAs.

4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash, Transition Spur
    I keep posting in the wrong thread by accident.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Took the commuter on a spin to Bonelli. 10.5 miles. I call this place the Bloop.7544607A-1464-4DDA-9628-8342C239B18B.jpegBonelli is open, and I heard from some riders that Marshall Cyn is open from Oak Mesa Park to the Gate at the Cobal Cyn/Johnson Pasture Rd junction.

6. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I'll probably be getting reaquainted with bonelli riding since.... Well.. You know...

7. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    800 days suck
    Those were the days I couldn't see the building across the street in Beijing.
    Think San Fransisco on a really foggy morning.
    But the fog hates your lungs

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I got out and rode yesterday afternoon......

The Professor wanted to ride to Old Camp, but for me, it's still part of the closure.....so no go. Plus it was supposed to be pretty toasty. Suz wasn't gonna ride, which meant I could do a little more tech than normal.

I offered up SAF(T&A) and Bucking Bronco(Stair Steps) to The Professor.....with a little apprehension, the hook was set.

4:00 roll from Ridge Park....there was nobody there.....may 15 cars. We rolled down Bommer all the way to T&A.

Found this little guy on the way....
    6963AF1F-DE70-4059-8ECD-06F55AC1261C.jpeg

Last time we rode it in March, it was a bit overgrown. Today was wide open. Much looser and slippery, but still fun. Josh aquainted himself with the dirt on a berm as he wasn't paying attention. More of a slide out than a crash, but he was good the rest of the way down.

Temps were nicer on the roadie back up to Phillips Rd....then baking on the HAB up Stair Steps. West Ridge was a ghost town. Short roadie over to Mentally Sensitive. Again, it getting pretty blown out and loose. Still had a blast. Josh had a short taste of dirt again at the hard left drop with the tree....just a scratch.

Wood Canyon/Coyote Run were in the shade by now....temps were in the low 70's. Saw 3 deer just on side of the trail on Coyote Run. Cholla went by sorta quick.

We dropped in to Bucking Bronco(Stair Steps)....I went much slower to show Josh the lines....especially through the waterfall section(for which he refers to the trail as Bucking Bronco)....he followed by didn't make the turn and rode into the bush but stayed upright. Uneventful the rest of the way down. Fun run.

Across the canyon and up Willow....still floating at about 70* Willow didn't hurt as much as it has recently. We were the only ones on it. Maybe my legs were just warmed up. Took Bommer back over to Missing Link/Fence Line.....it was getting close to dark. I thought about adding in Ticketron, but Josh was done. So we finished up on Bommer.

Knew we were pushing our time for daylight, but we were quicker than the last time we did this exact loop. Air quality definitely deteriorated as the afternoon progressed. From West Ridge you couldn't see the ocean or Santiago Peak.

Still a fun ride.

21 / 3300'

9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    that's a fun two park ride!

10. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Technically it falls under the forest closure about 1/2 mile in.

Strava activity only shows 3 rides this week.

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I bet the Luge is easily 10 times that figure. :whistling:

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower; Revel Rail
    Well, the Luge is fun, so....

14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Yes! And I'd like to do another Joplin/Luge when they're back open. And when the weather is cooler. :thumbsup:

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    When it gets some raIn.

16. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Smoke has blown away, temps are low, except at cheese where it was too hot to ride. The county is down to 6 china flu people in ICU and 41 in hospitization. Things are looking great again

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Marshall with Crazy Bear Bikes. 12.9/1,670’

It’s official! Xavier is opening a bike shop in La Verne next door to the La Verne Brewing Company! Grand opening November 1st.

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    The plan with @Faust29 was to wait and see what the AQI was like early this morning before we decided on the riding destination. We were hoping to keep it simple and local with a stroll through Cherry. I reached out to Steve this morning at 5:30. The AQI had gone all to hell here overnight so we opted for our out and away choice, Da Cheese. We met a the usual LV parking spot at about 7:00. Traffic was light driving out there. I would not have suggested da Cheese pre-covid as the freeways were usually grid-locked in the morning back then but it's been much better with many people working at home these days. We geared up and set off on the brutal initial climb of Edison fire road. Ouchy. Got through there and then dropped into Cheseboro Canyon and proceeded upward. Started to feel the warmth of the day that was coming. Started to smell a bit of smoke as we ascended. Did all the usual techy climbing sections and finally got up to The Lookout where we would take a brief breather and then turn around and head back. More DHish going back which is always fun. Got to the bottom of the Sheep Corral DH section and then cruised out through the canyon, back to where we parked. My legs felt pretty good today but my lungs are dead. Smoky crud inside them had me gasping the entire ride. Lots of bunnies out along the trail today (rabbits, not hotties) and we saw a buck deer as well. I saw a few snake tracks too, but no snakes. I did not any pics at all today but I think that Steve did.

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Yep... Smoked Graded Cheese was on the menu. And although the AQI was 160 in Altadena, that number is trending in the right direction. We saw an AQI in the 450s every morning at the beginning of the week and 250 yesterday. 160 is an improvement... Another day or two and we may be able to ride local. :thumbsup:

Cheese was fun. Snake kept it short and didn't rip my legs off... :thumbsup:

13/1500

IMG_2776.jpeg IMG_2775.jpeg

20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I saw your Strava and didn't even realize you guys were in my back yard.

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Trek FEX
    It was a last minute decision.

Faust29 likes this.
  22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    @Luis , if this is the condition, I’m likely not going to participate on Sunday.

Faust29 likes this.
  23. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    FWIW the smoke seems better south of the 101. Today is also supposed to be the worst of the next 3. That said, I told people last weekend that the air was good, and that turned out to not exactly be the case, so take my FWIW with a grain of salt.

24. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I know I am late to the party....

Phillips + Stairsteps any day.

I am slow...We call canyon acres 30 mins of Hell.

My Faster friends... They call it 20 mins of Hell! :)

Hey @herzalot what do you mean by "down Lynx with the top extra credit (must do)."

What's the extra credit the ST on opposite side of westridge... You mean Descend ST cross WR then straight into Lynx?

Cyclotourist, DangerDirtyD and UPSed like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Problem with Canyon Acres, is you gotta factor the long pavement climb just to get to the trailhead. Then it starts off bad and continues on to worse before reaching "this is just bullsh*t".

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Precisely. Lynx is so short, you gotta add that extra 50 vertical. It's fun, but watch that first downhill right turn - it's blind and there are often people climbing.

I like to hit Lynx, Rock-It and Stairs from the very same starting point - the top of the fireroad.

27. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    17/2,300’ with Chicken Nugget @mike and it was safe and sound.E8FC3734-067D-4D01-AF1E-7D02ACE00A5F.jpeg

Grego, scan, SnakeCharmer and 7 others like this.
  28. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Aliso again today. I woke up at 5 AM and did not know where I was going to ride. I thought about poaching the Luge, but decided against it and hit Aliso instead. It was super crowded again, both hikey and bikey, and unlike last week I could not avoid them on the fun trails. :confused:

Lynx+ twice, RockIt twice, Mentally Sensitive twice, up Mathis twice and up Meadows :sick: once. Not ever climbing Meadows again, that sucked.

First run down Mentally there were three hike-a-bikers on the way down that stalled me (and of course at the steep parts), and the second time there were two hike-a-bikers coming up. Oh well, still fun. It is super loose right now, which is fun in its own way.

Aliso.jpg

29. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yup. Met up with @Bill for a standard Aliso lap. Cheater Cholla, Rock-It, Cholla, Lynx, Mathis, Meadow. We also checked in with @scan, but he was rolling 15 deep - that's not something I wanted to contribute to. I hope you and your crew had a great ride, Scan!

Ridiculously crowded out there. But we managed our three descents without a whole lot of disruption, and that's what matters. Eye candy too - so that helps. I didn't have a ton of energy today, but not too bad. Fun on the downs.

At one point Bill and Scan almost had a head on collision at a place where neither had the right of way - both were going downhill towards where the creek used to be on Wood Canyon Road. Scan locked it up and said some choice words before recognizing us. To be fair, Bill was in the middle of the road, so kind of encroaching.

Sunny, warm and clear.

15.6 m/2340' Bikes are fun! :thumbsup: :cool:

30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Backbone, again. This time with @Luis and a couple of his friends. The idea was to do Kanan to Corral (my favorite section), but when we got to the saddle at the 3.5 mile mark we were starting to smell smoke, and could see it rolling in from the east where we were headed. Did an about face to the cars, with the idea to continue West beyond Kanan. Once back to Kanan everybody kind of went different ways. I did Kanan to Encinal and back by myself, partly to get a rematch. The hell climb as it was dubbed last weekend hurt me then. I made it, but I was smoked after, and was disconcerted. I tried to tell myself it was the smoke, and I think it was. This time I hit with fewer, though decidedly more strenuous miles preceding it, also on a bike 6lbs heavier, with beefier tires, and 2 less teeth in the granny. An impressive list of excuses. Though certainly still hard, it was no where near as crippling as last time. Though I wouldn't say today was the most fun ride, it was good to get some retribution, and also felt good to be back on the Smash after what I think was 6 weeks. Smoke free air West of Kanan. 18/3569.

5B880372-F81D-43C1-B997-993289741948.jpeg

Want to donate to imtbtrails?