I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Good job... And a good pace! :thumbsup:

I'm a little disappointed I missed it, but there's always next year...

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Hooligan!

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yeah, they cut off the climb up Worsley and back down Indian Canyon - nearly a thousand feet of gain gone, just like that!! :(

I thought about doing it anyway, but then my Flybys wouldn't be as fun. :whistling:

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I thought the elevation looked a little light compared to last year! They did the same thing to the Big Ring this past year... It went from 6500 feet in 2014 to 3000+ in 2015. I want more, not less!

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  4. Grego

Grego MTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    It's been a while so rode Sycamore Canyon Riverside with Vincent and a couple friends. Parked at Jensons and did the usual route covering most of the goods. Rattlesnake, McTwist, BFR (mini lol), Jump playground and all the single track in between. On my to do list I finally dropped off a rock near the top of the berms at the jump playground. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. My buddy crashed in Mini Moab twisting his bars, nothing serious. Vincent sessioned a rock jump that was bugging him last time. His buddy Ryan having a blast. With sweet dirt and deep ruts, Sycamore always delivers us a great ride with challenges.

syc jump 1.png

Buddha was in a different spot but we still found him.
    syc 3.png

Got back to the truck and found this on my window. Rox spreading the word. Will keep you in mind when I sell my house :cool:. Great looking card, what trail is that?

00065436421.png

Good times! :D

5. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    That first shot is pretty cool!

I don't know about the spam on the truck, though. I'd probably call and complain.

Oaken, ridinrox, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  6. LLPoolJ

LLPoolJ MTB Addict

Name:
    James Johnson
    Current Bike:
    Specy Epic and Stumpy
    Went out to Vail Lake with a couple buddies to pre ride the course. We headed out and did the Dam climb and some other fun trails. My legs did not have it today so after 10 miles I headed back to the truck for a break. Gathered myself ate a little then went out and rode the course. I would have enjoyed the course more if I was feeling better. The climbers will love it. 20/2100

7. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    I haven't been feeling the MTB for a few months now, just how it goes for me some times. Been all about hockey and snowboarding I guess, so at least I'm not just sitting around!

Snuck in a ride up Cab and down Hectic this afternoon and I think my MTB fire has been rekindled a bit. Rains have caused some ruts but the hero dirt outweighed it. So nice to ride in cool temps too!

herzalot, Voodoo Tom, Danimal and 8 others like this.
  8. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Got a quick one in today, family duties and soccer getting in the way of a bigger ride this weekend so just did the local ride up to clamshell to get the legs a movin.....14 mi. and 1500 gain.

20160124_093233.jpg

9. BeckTrex

BeckTrex Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    2009 Giant Trance X3
    GregO’s impromptu Sierra Peak ride last week inspired @SiriusStargazer (Jeff) and I to give it a try. Not content with “just” riding up and down Coal Canyon trail started from my place, through CHSP (Chino Hills State Park), up to the peak and then down the SART ( the tame OC version) an back to my place. CHSP quite for a Saturday morning, which is surprising as the conditions were very nice; cool, not a lot of loose sand, no goat heads, great dirt. We encountered a few tumble weeds on Alluvial, but it was still quite passable and fun.

My left calf started hurting just before the “rock pile” and pretty much never stopped for the rest of the ride. I guess I’m still not over the after effects of the blood clot.

The promised rain hit us between “Rock Pile” and the peak; it lasted for 5 minutes, was very light and then was gone. The ground never even looked wet. The ride down made the long slog up all worthwhile but then we still had 13 miles of bike and horse trails to cover before we were done. It was a fun ride, but I’ll be paying for this one all week.

"Mini Moab"
    image.jpeg

Resting my calf at the rock pile
    image.jpeg

Jeff at the peak
    image.jpeg

Even a 26er can make it up here
    image.jpeg
    Strava stats: 45 Miles, 4555 feet

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Looks like a good ride. :thumbsup:

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/MTB Addict

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Cisco Roots, ridinrox and BeckTrex like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    After spending yesterday with the guys....I spent the morning with my wfie.

Ladies choice and she chose Blackstar. I hadn't been out there since before Xmas...it's been a while.

My wife hadn't made it back up to Beeks' since she gave up a kidney in August...so it was good to see her push on to the top.

We weren't fast, we weren't slow....but we just kept steady.

What a great day on the bike.

Screenshot (192).png Screenshot (193).png

13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    How was it this year? Yesterday seemed like a perfect day!

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    Jealous, riding with your lady is the best...:thumbsup:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Good times out riding with the HS kids this morning. Introduced to an AWESOME new area... El Dorado. I had only been out there a little bit before it was a legit open space. WOW what a change. Just magical morning. Hero dirt, beautiful clouds floating by. Chilly 39F at the start. Solid two hours riding 15 miles. 13 y.o. ended up with asthma attack at the end which bummed us both out. This place is magic!

24220551009_f64085c502_b.jpg

24506037621_16e61122ab_b.jpg

24220551169_e060214334_b.jpg

CarlS, Cougar, Cisco Roots and 13 others like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Derp. Double Post....

Good times out riding with the HS kids this morning. Introduced to an AWESOME new area... El Dorado. I had only been out there a little bit before it was a legit open space. WOW what a change. Just magical morning. Hero dirt, beautiful clouds floating by. Chilly 39F at the start. Solid two hours riding 15 miles. 13 y.o. ended up with asthma attack at the end which bummed us both out. This place is magic!

24220551009_f64085c502_b.jpg

24506037621_16e61122ab_b.jpg

24220551169_e060214334_b.jpg

Voodoo Tom likes this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors Hooligan!

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Weather was perfect. Usual assorted idiots on high end road bikes. But most were handling the rules as they should.

mike, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  18. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    LOL... glad the weather was good. Moving it earlier seems like a good call.

19. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    Got out this morning and did a little spin. Made a bad choice to go up Cadillac after climbing Holy Jim and descending Trabuco. I pulled a @mtnbikej when I saw my garmin was reading just under 6000 feet so had to add monestary road and vista single track.

image.jpeg

20. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C

Nice job, Guys! :thumbsup:

21. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Going up Cadillac is a special kind of crazy! I like it!

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    :Roflmao:D:thumbsup:

23. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    I thought it was worse than west horse thief.

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Sorry Herz... I know it's long, but it's the same old stuff...

I rode my bike today... The 1/2 fat el Mariachi single speed. I probably would have used a plain old 29er up front, but it's at the Path having the wobble removed. :whistling: Temecula is next weekend, and I've been really lazy since the holidays. So... I went out to do some climbing on the old single speed. I hadn't climbed over 4500 feet on the SS since switching a couple months ago.

I started with my normal Live Oak through O'Neill warmup. At the bench on Live Oak, there was a film crew setting up shop... maybe 20 people with lots of gear that they lugged up from Melinda Heights. This would be the first of two photo shoots I saw today. Thankfully, they were clothed this time, unlike my last O'Neill photo shoot. I dropped down and headed over to the Aliso Creek Bike Path to Glenn Ranch Road and Whiting. I didn't feel like fighting the herd on Mustard, so I opted for the Whiting Ranch Road climb to Four Corners and Mark's Bench. That road gets very little traffic, and it's peaceful...

Back onto the road, and a quick trip to Modjeska Park for a bottle refill... And decision time. I had intended to climb Blackstar, and then maybe STT. But, I was at Harding, and I hadn't climbed it on the SS, so... I hit the Harding gate with 16 miles and 2,000 feet. Not as bad as the day mtnbikej started the climb at mile 35ish, but still painful... :thumbsup:

IMG_6475.JPG IMG_6476.JPG

As Bonsainut mentioned, Harding has seen some damage from the recent rains.

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6485.JPG

I turned around at the 7 mile point of no return. I turned the final right hand turn, and ran straight into a nice wet cloud that dropped the temp into the 40s, after it had been almost 60 all the way up...

I had fun coming down, but actually stopped a few times to check out the greenery...

IMG_6491.JPG

Refill at the Modjeska Dog Park, and climb the back side of Modjeska Grade. At the entrance to STT, there was a camera crew set up in the middle of the road. They had spotters on either side watching for cars coming uphill, but it was a little weird. The weirdness was gone, when the 25 or so young ladies in matching bright green kit and bikes crested the hill in front of me. If I had been wearing my glasses, I could probably tell you what the jerseys said... :whistling:

My climbing legs deserted me on F-U hill. I know it's Little Mustard, but F-U seems more appropriate... especially at the 6,000 foot mark. My legs didn't come for the climb past the Luge flag, so I called it quits and went down the Luge. Everything was green today...

IMG_6496.JPG

Here, Kitty Kitty... Maybe mike's friends from the other day in the wash?

IMG_6498.JPG

42 miles and 7200 feet...
    Untitled.jpg

IMG_6491.JPG

CarlS, Cougar, mike and 16 others like this.
  25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Nice ride....looks like a good outing.

I agree on Whiting Road....never anyone on it, and it is a pretty good climb.

Those are dog prints in the mud.....cat prints don't show claws/nails.

26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist MTB Addict

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    @Faust29 I love CA in the winter when it turns green!

BeckTrex and jaime like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Oops.:whistling:

28. StrandLeper

StrandLeper MTB Addict

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Pdmach26 was my tour guide today. Three boys from Laguna were flogged by Pdmach26 up Holy Jim, up to the peak. Then down upper holy Jim... Which is basically the San Juan trail with no trail maintenance. Main divide over to trabuco creek trail where we met an ultra runner who bailed me out (water). Then down trabuco creek (fun, fun, fun) to live oak and back to the shopping center at Plano and RSM. 36 miles, 7700 feet of climbing.

Faust rode by me on live oak as I added air to a burped tire. He offered help. We had it under control. Lots of people driving 4x4s up the wash!

Strand

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

You have now experienced the Santa Ana's....soon you will be hooked.

How did you like the slog up to Santiago Peak from HJ?

Nice ride.

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Hooligan!

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Oh no! Next time a proper meeting is in order... :thumbsup:

Runs with Scissors likes this.