I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I’m pretty sure it’s the clutch. I went ahead and ordered a derailleur, I can keep it as a backup in any case.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Last day of summer break. :( I got most of July off. I'll take it!
    Nice ride in the local hills this morning. Wow - so much better when empty! There was, however, a pleasant disproportion of two-legged scenery today. :whistling: :thumbsup:

I could have sworn it was high 80s or 90 when I finished. I was flowing sweat. Toweled off about 20 times, put on a shirt, got in the car and it said 78°. What a wuss. :oops:

15.6 mi 2300'. Bikes are fun! Bikes on empty trails are even funnnnneerrrer. :cool: :thumbsup: :)

EDIT: Oh - forgot to mention - two equestrians on Meadows. I was very slow and very kind, and they were appreciative. May be the first time I've seen horsies in Aliso!

3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Did @Mikie get ahold of Tejon ranch? curious is any update on the longhorn. You'll need to take it more water in these temps!

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    What if we eat it? I love me some ribeyes! My dad, a village-born country boy, knows how to harvest goats and sheep. How much different could a cow be?

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Not much and it will feed us for days! :whistling:

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Might have to move that over to the "I Slaughtered a Steer Today" thread. Then you can move on to the "What's Cooking?" thread.

(For the record, I am more in favor of saving him rather than savoring him.)

7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash, Transition Spur
    I audibly chuckled at that. Kudos.

8. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    He's obviously friendly enough. That'd be like killing the neighbors dog that's letting you scratch their belly.

I'm with @herzalot On this too. Got a chuckle out of me.

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Dogs don't taste nearly as good. :rolleyes:

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Cow, deer, moose, caribou. Same same.

11. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I didn’t chuckle :gotnothing:

:D

konakc, Mikie, herzalot and 1 other person like this.
  12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    IDK, hopefully @Mikie will chime in?!
    You’re right tho, I know he could probably drink his weight in water. The 40 gallons that a local rancher was hauling up may already be gone. There’s a rumor that some Hispanic men with a large horse trailer were spotted up there sometime after my daughters FB post...could be a good thing or a very bad thing:(. I wanted to ride up there yesterday, but felt like shite..maybe overdid it in the scorching heat that day.:facepalm:

Old&InTheWay, Faust29, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail
    Wait - you didn't like that I would rather save him than eat him? :eek:

(Just to clarify, I am talking about the longhorn steer, not @buggravy)

14. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Haha, sorry Herzy...I appreciate that you don’t want to eat my emaciated Longhorn friend ;)

Faust29, buggravy and herzalot like this.
  15. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I think I found a new favorite, Sticks & Stones. Wrapping it up here at Northstar. Rode through so much DH tech twisty bermy drops jumps steep chunk lately I almost can't wait to get back on the SS and climb a fire road.
    IMG_3081.JPG

Almost...:laugh:

Cyclotourist, Stkx66, Redman and 20 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    The hubs and I took a few of his buddies out to GE, we just did a small ride, up the FR and down the ST. Fun day, good peeps, nice way to start the day :)

9CE0AAB0-76E8-402C-B89B-F6864C1E2283.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Stkx66, Redman and 20 others like this.
  17. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Is this the humor thread?
    Bc I'm laughing..

18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Wrightwood would have been great but I had already committed.. and a buddy was coming all the way from 1000 oaks to ride Aliso...
    So Aliso Saturday.. is not Aliso Friday... Lots of people... 5 oaks and mentally and lynx... All in good shape.. bit loose but not really blown out...
    Thought about rockit but not another cholla climb.. it was getting hot!!!
    I'm not adjusting to the heat like I used to...

Saw a king snake.. beauty.. grabbed it but my buddies started freaking out.. let it go and it bit me! My bad for messing w it.. all good.. glove got it..left two little scratches...

Great day out!!

19. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Sure was!!! Should have come, I know its further for you but........cooler temps and no crowds!!!
    @Sasquatch9billion ,@Fueledbyex8 and a couple of other friends joined us on a truly social ride!! Paul came along who hadn't ridden in 4 yrs (surfing instead!). Did the typical J lake start, up boyscout, over to logging trail then down it, finishing with leprechaun. The lake is really low now, but lots of people out , cooling off in the water. Warm for Wrightwood, but as always a great time in the saddle!
    13/1900'

IMG_20200801_093007.jpg

IMG_20200801_093016.jpg

20. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    One week in Mammoth :thumbsup::thumbsup:. First ride was Uptown, Paper Route, Manzanita, Paper Route, Timber Ridge, Juniper. Bit loose in spots, but Mammoth is such nice riding. Under the trees, tons of trails, love it. Village has lots of people but people wearing masks and keeping distance (logic and common sense is prevailing!).

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    We rode around the hood. It was great to see my lass on a bike. :) Her knee is a lot better but methinks it needs a scoping. Beware, ladies...decades of chicking can take a toll. Letting him win some could save your knees along with his ego. :whistling::cool:

22. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Solo outing this morning.

Rolled from Yorba Linda @4:45 and hopped on the Santa Ana River Trail to Coal Canyon. Still pretty dark, but I was running a light. Didn't feel very strong when I started climbing. Shortly after 5 miles, the temps were already 70*. I continued to push on. Just kinda kept pedaling.

About 2/3rd's the way up the sun had come up enough that I didn't need the light anymore. By 6:15 it was 77*. Finally cleaned all of Coal Cyn on the SS, however I did stop to close one of the gates. PR'd the climb by 2:00.

Made Sierra Peak just after sunrise.....
    75603936-18A6-4107-9009-B2C684DB5C45.jpeg

I started down Sierra Peak towards Main Divide. The ridge has recently been graded, so there was quite a bit of silt and sand. I was undecided about where to go when I got to Main Divide. It was 75* and already feeling pretty toasty. I considered dropping down Skyline and coming back up, but decided to head towards Beeks and point beyond.

I was at the Doplar Ball before I knew it. Didn't stop just kept going. First time in a while that I went past the Doplar. I felt pretty good. Main Divide was a bit slippery. It was really toasty on the push up to Hagador Peak....yeah, I walked. Saw 86* at Hagador, but it felt way hotter than that. Thought for a moment about bagging Pleasants Peak, but I was already down a full bottle and still had to go back out to Sierra Peak. So I bagged Hagador Peak and turned back.

DE1BBA07-485F-40EC-8A0B-79CA44D29DE6.jpeg E30C0650-8CE5-47A0-BE5F-523025B16D53.jpeg

The climb back out to Sierra Peak was slower, but I kept going.

The ride wasn't very peopley today.

The run back down Coal Canyon was uneventful, but still had fun.

Was back at the truck by 8:30'ish.

Great morning on the bike.

29 / 5100'

23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Copy that:thumbsup:
    Glad the Mrs is doing well!

Faust29, scan, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. bvader

bvader Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    OMW pedalling on the Road to get to Dirt

Coyote sauntering across University drive in Irvine near Mason park 11:30AM

IMG_20200801_112302.jpg

Unfortunately I saw another animal in the road on Laguna Canyon Hwy... A beautiful Red Shoulder Hawk dead.. looks like perhaps it swooped down and got hit by a car... Sad.. I did not take a pick.

Also picked up another Mylar Balloon .. one nearly every ride.

33/2400

25. solislbc

solislbc Member

Name:
    G
    Current Bike:
    2020 Yeti SB130
    After many years, Marshall canyon. This is such a fun trail system. Especially with a local guide. 7 am was already packed with hikers. Appreciate the canopy shade throughout most of the ride.

Getting the bike dialed in. Still need to figure out the small bump compliance. I don’t care for the jitters.

Stkx66, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 8 others like this.
  26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    7pm with a local guide is the ideal scenario. If ya wanna go back tonight, lemme know. We can play with your small bumps too.

Redman, Danimal, Diytypeofguy and 3 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMG_3738.jpeg

Nice morning in Truckee River Canyon. Hours of cranking with no one around.

I dropped down a different way than last time; steep, defunct logging roads with no signs of jeep traffic. The places people make roads! Mellow fun on the Tahoe-Pyramid, back home at 10am. 34/4,570

Cyclotourist, tick, Stkx66 and 15 others like this.
  28. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Name:
    "PBR"
    Current Bike:
    Giant Stance 1.5
    Helluva view right there Mike. Great pic.

29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Devil's Canyon with my buddy Tony. Finally feeling close to 100% after a six week bout with shingles. I PR'd a few of the longer tougher climbs and even cupped a couple of the DH segments. Sorry, no time for pics. Great day in the saddle.

IMG_20200802_112118_539.jpg

30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    A quick Brown and EL Prieto loop before the rest of the house woke up. The single speed has been hanging on the wall neglected since the tree climbing expedition on the Gabrielino. I almost took the Hightower, but Chamile gave me a dirty look. :cautious: :thumbsup: When I switch bikes, it takes a ride or two to get used to the feeling again... Brown hurt. I passed a couple large groups that were on a very social pace and spread out, so I had to push to get past. :gag: :thumbsup:

Down Fern, slowing several times for hikers... At the top of El Prieto there was a group of 5 exiting the trail. I waited for a minute, took a quick break and decided that the trail was clear. I made it around the first switchback, and came to a halt... :Roflmao It seemed like a hiking club and they were spread out on the upper half of El P... Fun either way. I love that trail no matter how smoothly the run goes or doesn't go. :thumbsup:

14/1500

Want to donate to imtbtrails?