I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    Whiting & The Luge today. I started right at 8 and there were actually more bikers than hikers on Borrego for a change. There were a couple of rangers at the entrance warning families with children to keep them close due to the mountain lion activity. Perhaps that scared some of them away. :Roflmao

I PR'd Cattle Pond, but got stuck behind a spandex type rider halfway down Cactus. I swung back around after finishing the Luge and rode it again. I saw a couple of large group rides standing around, but managed to avoid them on the trails. I actually only stopped to rest once on the entire ride, and that was because three guys dropped the Luge right as I was coming up to the flag. I waited 5 minutes and then hit it. Very little traffic out there this morning, I was pleased.

It started sprinkling just as I got back to the car, so I was very happy to miss the rain. Good fun, but no mountain lion encounters. :poop:

105615025_1385006605021858_5910801649697482678_o.jpg

bvader, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 19 others like this.
  2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Post office n sart yesterday.. abit hot.
    A bit blown out.. conditions ok..not the same as a month or so ago..

3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Super cool day on the bike. As much as I love the Cheese, sometimes I struggle to get excited when I know I'm riding there again, though once I'm riding I always wonder why. Did a repeat of the social route from last weekend, with some extra credit in the middle, and the end. Passed another GG rider on the way up the canyon. It was in inopportune place to stop, but we exchanged verbal hell yeahs as we passed. Movement of the stoke needle.

The Wall is still all up in my head. I wasn't even motivated to clean it. Just wanted to get past it and enjoy the rest of the ride. Came really close, regardless, only hanging up on that last rock at the top right. Seeing someone else clean it today going up the middle at the top has me convinced that's the best route. I just have to commit to that. Hit some new dirt, in the form of Norway. Climbed it East to West after descending Hidden Treasure. For some reason I've blown past that entrance when looking for it in the past, but today it was pretty obvious. Really cool trail, in great shape. Stoked to have another new single track, but more than that it's a game changer to have a loop up there with Hidden Treasure. I'll experiment looping the other direction next time, but good stuff regardless.

The stop at the Sheep Corral lookout for the return trip was surreal. Shortly after I pulled in an e-biker towing a mountain biker with a rope pulled up from Palo. Then a family of five, with the youngest in a kid trailer behind dad's bike arrived. I don't know where they started but he climbed Sheep Corral with that carrier in tow, with a small live human in it. Not quite as WTF as it sounds. They seemed to know what they were getting into, and were just going for it. Props for getting the whole family out there together. One of the kids had a leaky tire that Dad had been pumping every 1/4 mile so they could keep going. I donated my spare tube to the cause, and they were stoked. When I rode away Dad was teaching the boy how to fix a flat. More movement of my stoke meter.

Sheep Corral was a blast as always. The death climb (Pump Hill) sucked as always. Wanted to stack a few more miles after Montezuma, so rolled over to Las Virgenes Open Space. Got run off a single track by 3 e-bikers hauling ass downhill. Even if they'd been inclined to honor my right of way there was no way they could have stopped in time. No matter, they had no intention of stopping anyway. Kick ass weather persisted all day, and I felt strong to the very end. 31.3, 4605. Bikes are fun.

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

IMG_6392.jpg

bvader, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 22 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Wow - that's a big ride. Good job!

And that's a big bike pulling that trailer. Strength!

Great RR and photos. Thanks for posting!

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I woke up and saw my hardscape wet. All excited I got and also intel says Rollercoaster @ Marshall is good. I fenagle a few hours from the family to find the moisture didn’t penetrate the oak canopy and the soil was still thirsty. Loosest it’s been all year and it’s not even October. I’m a complainer and I can feel this:36E9B578-29AF-472E-B803-AA0F49F791B9.jpeg

6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I had this idea to ride trail x and trail z from basecamp. These trails are two of my favorites. Both of them gleaming examples of vision and hard work, ridiculously fun and challenging, black-plus. Both somewhat underground, so no real names. @Luis and @rossage can tell you about the quality of trail z. I think they liked it...

But they are like 15 miles apart. However! They can be connected by the Tahoe Pyramid Bikeway along the Truckee River, and some other unmentionable tasty routing. The TP Bikeway is no less than spectacular. Varied with tons of great ST and endless views and cool positions along the river. Why not???

No dawn start since it was 18 degrees cooler than the day before. I didn't walk the SS much, but might have saved time if I had. One righteous chunk of riding, it took ~11.5 hours to go 62 miles and ascend 7580'. I watered up with my Steripen before dropping trail x, and again up high en route to trail z (replete with skeet barage).

I took a few pics, but really, the scenery is epic the entire way and I could have taken 50 nice shots. And taken 13 hours...

IMG_3644 copy.jpg

IMG_3647.PNG

Note I started my track a half mile into the ride.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I rode my bike on Saturday.

@horsebikerider and I decided to do a late afternoon ride at Chino Hills. We headed over to Brush Canyon Park where I normally enter, only to be turned back by the railroad rent'a'cop. Funny, today it wasn't allowed, even though on numerous occasions it hasn't been a problem and even an acknowledgement and hand wave in the past. Been using this easement for years.

So we backtracked to the truck and drove over to Rim Crest. This would alter the route I laid out. We started up South Ridge towards Bovinian. We decided to drop down Little Canyon and climb up Telegraph as to not wear Suz out too early on the SS. Cutting that much of Telegraph out made it seem super short. At 4 Corners well rolled into Raptor Trail....it wasn't as overgrown as I throught it was. From there we picked up Faultline.....now this trail is bad shape. Overgrown, blown out and the dead mustard on the trail made it quite slippery. Lower Aliso wasn't much better....low branches all over the place.

Passed the Rolling M Ranch and headed up Bane Canyon. Near the top of the climb we passed a group of BSO's......including an cruiser with gas engine on it. I didn't like it, but they were on the pavement so I didn't say anything. A short climb up to Bane Ridge and Suz led down. Trail is still pretty good. When we reached the top of the last drop into the equestrian camping, there was our group of BSO's waving back down the trail.....to the guy riding his gas powered bike up the singletrack. When I mentioned it to his group that he wasn't allowed to ride that on the trails, they "we know, we'll tell him." They were gonna let him come up all the way up before they told him to turn around.....WTF????? Suz said something to the guy, I stopped and said he couldn't ride it there....he turned around.

The climb back up South Ridge to 4 Corners was rough. We fought a stout headwind all the way up. Suz's knee wasn't happy. The positive side was that it kept the temps down. At 4 Corners, it was the typical climb up Bovinian. Back down Southridge to Rim Crest.

Good day to be out on the bike. Park was mostly empty.

18 / 2700’

4DDC9368-B799-4257-83CA-226EC7806852.jpeg

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Today was kinda late minute ride.....

Actually late night invite. Got a text from @cajun but didn't see it till 11:00 about a Maple Springs/Motorway ride this morning. I committed.

Met up with G-Reg and K-Oss for a 9:30 roll time. It's been a while since I have hit up this route. Cool temps and overcast when we rolled. Lots of traffic on the paved section of Maple Springs. The clouds quickly cleared and the temps went up. The bugs made their presence known, but behaved for the most part. We reached the end of the pavement in short order.

Once on the dirt, it was apparent that it was in rough shape. Super dry and loose.....lots of silt. Again lots of traffic. However for the first time a moto guy slowed down and apologized for all the dust. Too bad all the other motos, trucks and jeeps had not problems dusting us out. Again the climb went by what felt like quickly, but the time didn't indicate that. The last turn to 4 Corners, we were almost run over by 3 vehicles driving way too fast in giant dust cloud.

We reached 4 Corners....I was happy to be off Maple Springs. G-Reg led down the first couple of descents....I was more than happy to ablige. It was dusty. The normal silt beds were just as expected.....silty, but also bomb cratered out. The rocky DH before the silt climb is starting to resemble the backside of Santiago Peak with the craters and holes. We did run across a dead deer that someone shot and just left on the side of Main Divide.....sad.

The climb past Bedford was just plain hot.....as it usually is, but we all cleaned it. Before long we reached Motorway.

I haven't been on Motorway this year....I think. The top was good. The breeze kicked in and dropped the temps. After the first scree section....there is now a new line to the left on the edge staying out of the rut....kinda disappointing. The rest of the way down, the trail was pretty overgrown. It was also very dry and very slippery. It seemed to fight me on the way down.....turns out all 3 of us were feeling it. Passed some hikers towards the bottom.

Good to get back out and knock this loop out. Always a fun time with those 2.

17.5 / 3700'

68259567-4924-41D0-8938-9ADACB180D39.jpeg

9. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    A couple of my OC riding buddies came down to check out Del Mar Mesa for a change of scenery. It was actually sprinkling when we started but it stopped quickly. Not too many other riders on the trail today. Sure wish they wouldn’t have closed down the other Tunnels trails. They recently made a couple of the trails one-way. A lot of people complained, but I think it was actually fine. 13 miles/1,300 Feet.

B9EB412B-004D-4BD2-8149-5FCBB9D65A90.jpeg 4BC84CA2-454C-4FCE-AFAC-F978686AE1EC.jpeg A31A3E38-E1DB-4AC3-9167-31703F23B07B.jpeg

bvader, Mikie, Tom the Bomb and 19 others like this.
  10. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    BSO?

Mikie, Tom the Bomb, mike and 3 others like this.
  11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Bicycle Shaped Objects

Mikie, tick, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  12. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Sunday solo lazy climb up Skyline Corona to Beeks and the Doppler. Stopped here and there just to enjoy the surroundings. Meandered back down a new to me little ST bypass. That was cool. Then dropped the seat and rode down Block. A couple oh sh!t moments but I hung on. back up skyline again but only a short distance to another sketchy dh. Never cleaned it before, this time I did. Still ugly though. I really digging the Skyline area. Fun day. 16/3000
    ssss.jpg

13. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Rode Blackstar from the Tree Farm to the start of Hidden Ranch, where I was just below the clouds. It started to drizzle, but not enough to conjure up the dreaded mud. 11.5 miles 1,280 feet.download (8).png

14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Tennis w my daughter and floop lunch.. ate some tasty dirt..yummy..floop drops r super fun..

VID_20200629_142312~3_exported_3769_1593468152051.jpg

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Seems like 100 years ago.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

HA!!!!!! I was just reading that one.

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yeah, it does...but damn that was a great day!!

Mikie, pperrelle and Faust29 like this.
  18. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    I work right near PQ so I ride there often. Not a fan of the one-way trails either. Considering how few people respect the trail closures I don't expect many to respect the one-way designation. I mostly ride there at night when it's not an issue though. Is pic 2/3 heading to the Shire? I finally got pissed off at all the handlebar high thistle so I took my hedge trimmer and gave that trail a haircut. Much better now!

19. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    I don’t ride there enough for the one way trails to bother me. You’re probably right on not many respecting them. Yep, that pic is just before hitting Shire singletrack. Thanks for the trail work! Below is the route that I usually take. Am I missing anything fun in either Del Mar or PQ?

67BB8DA0-A628-4032-92B9-723C815223E0.jpeg

20. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Hard to tell from the map exactly where you're going but I'm sure you're hitting the main stuff in that side of the trail system. There are a ton of short connector trails you can add in, both there and in other areas. I usually start at the west end by North of the Border bikes and ride over to Tunnels and back, usually changing up the route each time. From just beyond the Shire where you turn back east you can go a bit further west and cross under 56 into Gonzalez canyon. Not the nicest trails but you can loop over to the beach in Del Mar and around back into the park.

21. solislbc

solislbc Member

Name:
    G
    Current Bike:
    2009 specialized stumpjumper
    Goat Mountain in Bass Lake to the fire lookout tower, on my Stumpjumper, rear shock set up will not allow me to carry the Yeti on the 4 bike rack

elevation kicked my butt, but well worth it!

dandelions are huge!

B5A68A69-03DE-4B4C-9E22-2F9D7CFBE7F5.jpeg

07FEA132-549E-49E4-B8BF-B351E3846800.jpeg

0FD9F5DA-2A33-4550-845F-C6D70F116E2A.jpeg

AB9F941C-E6A6-4668-B26A-8A7B6C7871C7.jpeg

22. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Is the trail up Goat Mountain called 007?
    Been wanting to get up there and give it a ride.
    I recently got a reason, so will be heading up there. :sneaky:

23. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Pinos today with Steph and Adam. I was a little bummed to take the road up, but by adding Pinecone loop, it worked out just fine. Great day, perfect temps, someone rearranged the first log roller so it was kinda sketchy... I found out later that it took another rider out. o_O

7880E131-E0B9-42B6-9E97-C977300A4D3D.jpeg

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I have that same jersey... Looks better on you. :p

Hey... When's the second annual FLOOP ride? :cautious:

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I rode today with @rossage and @buggravy ... But I'd really rather hear @buggravy 's take on the Super Strawberry route. If he's blocked my number in his phone, I guess I'll know... :p

Fun day for me, but I damn near died at the end. Dehydrated? Cramps? Barely made it home... Guess I should have used some Tailwind today. I'll chalk that one up as a learning experience.:oops:

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    I wish I was nonessential... :oops::p:oops:

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Lower Gabrielino, aka the stupid sh!t we voluntarily do to $X,000 bikes.

I have a take, but the details will have to wait until after some family obligations. It’s mostly good. Some very good. Some less good, like the part where I legit came close to death. You still have call and text privileges.

28. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Them San Gabes will getcha.

29. solislbc

solislbc Member

Name:
    G
    Current Bike:
    2009 specialized stumpjumper
    :laugh:
    No, 007 is on the opposite side of the lake. That’s tomorrow

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Awesome!
    I’ve done that same ride many times...love it!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?