I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.

Congratulations on losing your Luge virginity! I had the same reservations before I did it for the first time... :thumbsup:

ridinrox, Mikie and BeckTrex like this.
  2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode my bike today... Maybe 1/4 mile around the block. The 2.8s went on the wheels and sealed up without a compressor just fine. We'll see if they still have air tomorrow...

Danimal, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Off work through Monday, so trying to take advantage of it. Still tight in the chest, and coughing a lot, but persevering! Had a rather small window between lying around, being lazy, and needing to get the kids at school. So jumped on the bike @ 12:30 (enough lazy!) and did a pretty flat but fun spin into the hills at out onto the Santa Ana/Mill Creek flood plain. 15 miles, 744 feet... I'll catch J any day now!!!
    Rain started coming in a bit, nothing heavy till I was two blocks from home! A lot of snow up in them thar hills!
    24156324891_427436a762_b.jpgSome good views today!

4. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Rode today with Scottay on my local trail, a little chilly but nothing unbearable, we had a nice snowey back drop and wonderful trail dirt today! My trucks belt tentioner broke at the trail head after the ride, Scott gave me a ride home, I ate lunch and went back to get towed and found Mountain Lion tracks all around where I was parked. Sorry the pics suck, need a new phone!

mike, Cisco Roots, Grego and 13 others like this.
  5. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Here kitty, kitty, kitty...

DangerDirtyD and Mikie like this.
  6. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    I'm in China, I'm not going to answer that call :p hehe

Mikie, Danimal, Doc Holliday and 6 others like this.
  7. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I love riding after it rains. Along with hero dirt, the air just about crackles with the ozone.
    The husky has been a little stir crazy after all the rain, so I skipped having a big ride for me and took her to the Santiago Truck trail. Just to the top before the last decent to flag, and then back down the grade.
    I didn't ride the Luge, but the rest of the trail was in great shape. A puddle here and there, but very nice!
    STT_01.jpg
    STT_02.jpg
    ps- On the way back, I found a pair of warm gloves that had been dropped.
    It was either a pair of racer-type female riders that were coming back down the trail, or a guy with a red truck who had access and was able to park inside the gate at the beginning of the trail.
    PM me what they look like and I'll get them back to you.

pss- yes, she was off leash at times. She was also held whenever anyone else was near.

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I had a little time... All of the county parks are mud, so I decided to take the el Mariachi Gordo for a test ride. The tires have held air since I sealed them up a few days ago, but I let a few pounds out, and settled on 16/18. The Trabuco wash was a potholed, muddy mess that felt like peanut butter most of the way. The Trailblazer 2.8s, however, rolled through it all. Are they harder to spin than the 29er tires? Absolutely! But, they are still fun in their own way and I probably wouldn't have rode up the wash so soon after a rain on the plain tires. I really didn't have to look for the hard line, or avoid the potholes... I just rolled.

The water crossings had some water, but never so deep that it was hard to roll through. The new bridge is in service, and looks a little out of place in the forest... There were a couple Jeeps parked in the Holy Jim lot, and I wondered if it was mike and Strandleper... They would have been about an hour and a half ahead of me. I decided to go a little farther and head up towards Horsethief, which has been renamed for the internet generation- Ethief.

IMG_6174.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

1949/1950 GM for sale- Cheap:
    IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

Oh my... The grass is rather white and crispy. The Garmin bottomed out at 30 degrees.

IMG_6180.jpg

I wanted some single track, so I made it a couple miles up Horsethief before I turned around. I was past the little cave, and cleared the loose rocky approach standing and mashing without ever slipping the rear tire. It took about 50 feet of downhill to figure out that these wheels and tires will roll through and over just about anything- rocks, roots, water crossings- all irrelevant. At 16 and 18 pounds, you don't feel much feedback from the tires. They just roll,bounce, and absorb... I recently came down West Horsethief and Trabuco all the way on the normal 29er tires. That day, I felt all the rocks and roots on the lower section. Today... I don't think I hit the brakes all the way back to the road.

These tires should come with a warning label... You will look at things differently. I suddenly got the urge to leave the wash, and play in the creek with the Jeeps who were fooling around. :thumbsup:

I don't usually use a hose, but I think I'll make an exception today...
    IMG_6184.jpg

This setup isn't for every day... I can see using it on shorter group rides on rougher terrain. It probably would have been perfect for the San Gabes ride a few weeks ago. If mtnbikej says, "Hey- I have a 50 mile death march with 9000 feet of climbing.", this would not be the ideal setup. But, what a riot when you point the clown wheels downhill!

And one of the coolest features... Change the wheels and it's a plain old 29er. I don't even have to adjust the dropouts to go between wheel sets. :thumbsup:

18 miles/ 1700 feet

Gordo.jpg

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Soooooooooooooo.......I have a 50 mile ride idea.....should be about 9000'+ of climbing........ :whistling:

10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    @Faust29 Thanks for posting your thoughts on the wheelsize!

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  11. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    The guy with the red truck is Jim aka; Kioti. You can thank him for 90% of the work and maintenance on STT and Luge. HE was out today when I rode STT and Whiting ( skipped Luge). Helping out was our very own Knucklebuster. Thank you Knuckles for the help in the trail maintenance!

Oaken, mike, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  12. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Good chatting with you Danimal! Dumb luck running into Jim, he had just put up the poles and caution tape around that washout and not sure he was planning to do anything more until I talked him into to digging a little :laugh:o_O

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2013 Trek Slash 9
    AT Trail! ...and it was freakin sketchy-ass cliffside exposure with Melache Soils and awesome company! RR forthcoming.image.jpg

abuck55, Postal Pat, mike and 10 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Uhhhhhhhhhh.......
    I'm sure the OP is going to have a cow with this. That's a full blown ride report (...and a good one I might add).
    We'll see how @herzalot responds to this!

Oh, by the way... Great Job!:thumbsup:

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    The ride itself was pretty boring... Up the muddy wash and a few miles up Horsethief. The interesting part was the tires. Berni is onto something! Those plus tires are crazy fun coming downhill...

abuck55, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    24 miles, meandering about. Nominally on a mission to get a picture of Redlands from up on the hills south of town. That turned into a mission to get some pics of what may possibly be an endangered tree on the hills. And that in turned into a good ride! Bits of erosion damage on some of the trails, but the motorcycles are seeing to it that they're plenty effed up regardless... grrrrr. Overcast and cool all day, perfect dirt, occasional mud, mainly from hillside properties on county land.

Wild burro tribe
    23653792884_a5f19a5041_b.jpg
    View from front range
    24255861136_d6c8007ebe_b.jpg
    The tree in question
    24281998655_6dc619037c_b.jpg
    View from top of Jedi
    23914164759_f7f627f976_b.jpg
    Sweet flow
    23986402960_22fdc57a06_b.jpg
    Jonathan on Monkey Puzzle
    24199456591_93608875d7_b.jpg

abuck55, pperrelle, Maddog and 13 others like this.
  17. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    strava link???

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    ^^^What Scan said.

Mikie likes this.
  19. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Dang, I wish I'd known who I was talking with, I would have thanked him for all he does.

20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Mikie, Faust29 and Runs with Scissors like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I thought it was awesome! The only reason I jokingly squawk about real ride reports on this thread is because I never have a real ride report to add. As you will see in a moment.

I love how convertible Faust's bike is - wheel size, tire width, SS, Gears, etc... :thumbsup:

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    I rode my bike today. The saturated trails were extra slow feeling - so the standard distances required much more effort. I did a little trail maintenance along the way - specifically, freeing a bunch of debris and downed limbs that created a dam and diversion that was destroying a little bridge. Yay me!

Bikes are fun - lots of smiles out there again today! I spent the rest of the day with wife and daughter. I feel quite fortunate. That is all. Carry on.

Mikie, Doc Holliday, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  24. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    I think everyone was talking to him. Bet I ran into you at some point today.

Mikie likes this.
  25. Oaken

Oaken Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    No, I was there Friday, not today.

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode my bike (yesterday) up lower Monroe Truck Trail (8.5 miles), and then out Glendora Ridge Road. Glendora Ridge was pretty rocky from the rains and the rockslides, and was closed to vehicles. Flat #1 was in the rear tire at around mile 12. The sealant did its job, and I was able to add some air and be on my way. There was only one other roadie on this stretch at the time, and I managed to pass him... Until mile 15 when I had flat #2. I lost one of the knobs on the front Mountain King, and it was a pretty good hole. I booted it, put the slime tube in and was good to go... But I was now down to 1/2 of a CO2 cartridge, no spare tube, alone, and 15 miles from the car. Great spot to turn around... :thumbsup: I don't think there's anywhere to buy a spare tube in Baldy Village... Maybe I'm wrong? The temps had been in the mid to low 40s for most of the ride, but the way back is mostly downhill... Time to bundle up.

When I reached the junction of Lower Monroe, everything was still going well, so I decided to take the dirt down. There were a couple shuttle trucks at the top, but I didn't see any other riders for the first mile. Then, I played leapfrog with 3 guys on much bigger bikes... The dirt was like glue. At about the 3 mile mark, though, the front tire went completely flat... quick. I hit a few rocks in a newly formed rain rut coming to a stop. When I looked at the tube, the valve stem wasn't really connected to the tube anymore. Shoot... And I had hit a rock, and tore the sidewall. This is too comical...

It was a very peaceful walk back to the car... And I was passed by Tinker right at the parking lot by the gate on GMR. :thumbsup: Edit: Tinker posted on Facebook that he did a big 4 hour ride with 7000 feet of climbing... And there's a picture of him on Rincon Red Box.

30 miles/4200 feet.

Lower Monroe rest break:
    IMG_6185.jpg

I guess it's not just an Orange County thing... Mustang inside the locked gate on Monroe.
    IMG_6219.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6218.jpg

Mikie, abuck55, BeckTrex and 15 others like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    That's funny....I took a pic from the same rock on New Years Day:

IMG_1426.JPG

Mikie, abuck55, BeckTrex and 6 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve Macko
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    When I saw the rock, I was thinking that it was there just for that reason... It's the perfect rest/photo spot!

Mikie, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Unplanned group ride, did the Urban Assault FLoop for 19.6 miles and about 1,560 feet of ascent. Fun times.

Mikie, jaime, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    You guys realize I set the forum up so you can upload your .gpx files for others to download, right? :thumbsup: