I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I've only done tmz bottom.. top is relatively new..
    I have to so distortion.. overdrive n mouse jump twice.. and if energy left ..throwmonk dawg..
    I'll try tmz next time from top.. it's next to insidious right?

2. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Oh man, today was just what the doctor ordered. I obtained a protective sleeve to go under my brace, and headed out to Space Mountain to see if I could go 10 miles without the brace wearing a hole in the back of my leg. Mission accomplished, and it seems I've FINALLY got the brace sorted. It will never be a seamless integration, but it has me back out there being confident so I'll stop cursing the contraption and take my victories.

Did a super familiar Rosewood > Space > Mr. Toads lollipop. I had forgotten how relentless the climb up Rosewood feels at the beginning of a ride without any warm up. It's a hard earned mile and a half that always feel double that to me. With the brace issue not gnawing at the back of my mind (and my leg) I really felt like I had my groove back. PRs on the full Rosewood descent, Mr. Toads, and a big chunk of SM. It felt sooooo good to charge down a familiar single track again. The Smash is rolling superbly, and as much as I love the DV9, it's feeling super homey every time I get back on the Smash. Hikers were out in force going up Rosewood, but dissipated after that. A number of 26 militia members, and a few ebikers made up all the other encounters. The only close call I had was an ebiker barreling down a particularly tight ST section with no helmet, no bell, and no intention whatsoever of acknowledging ROW to the uphill rider (me). Other than that, 10.8, 1977 of heavenly, moderately chunky goodness.

@mike , check out that sweet paragraph break. :cool:

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    At least you use punctuation and capitalization. :whistling:

4. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Yes...you go slightly left instead of right to get TMB...drops you onto lower TMB just before the flat chunk section. I’d advise checking out all the jumps before hitting them...all gaps and some have caseable landings which could be painful...All bigger than the bottom 3 on lower TMB....

5. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Marshall tour with Killer Kurt and Co.

Danmtchl, Grego, DangerDirtyD and 8 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Vendetta/Smash
    Haha! The silence in between the beats can’t be underestimated. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you have that brace figured out... now that you’re about to ditch it!? Par for the damned course, I reckon. :geek:

7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    I know, right? I'll probably be in the brace, depending on the ride, through the Summer, which is also perfect. Nothing like a bulky contraption and a 3/4 leg sleeve for hot Summer riding.

8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    :eek:

9. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Got out to Greer again this morning...OD-Mouse-Distortion-DD-Monk-Lower TMB

Full of goodness as usual...lots of bikes out, even at 7ish when I started riding.

Bikes rule! (Also O’Doyle)

10. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    Hit Cuyamaca Rancho for the first time with a few friends. The parking lot was partially opened earlier this week. Perfect weather for a ride. It was pretty fun. 80% singletrack with a couple of fun descents to open it up a little. I’d classify it as a mostly XC type ride. 19.7 miles/1,793 feet.

BA89998B-9397-421D-9154-0CEC430A66AE.jpeg 14A8E51E-1FF7-433B-908A-A82235FB2527.jpeg DEACDAC0-5010-4A16-9F86-35C46BA808F4.jpeg DEE9AA96-F5BF-441E-A05D-18DA1A316CE8.jpeg 128536E5-B060-417C-89D8-599074C1A918.jpeg

Redman, Oaken, Danmtchl and 20 others like this.
  11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Last minute trip to Pinos. In a rush I forgot my water bottles which one of course contained my Tailwind. As I was getting ready I recognized a ride from SCVMTB. Fingers crossed I walked over and asked if he had an extra water bottle. He had an extra bottle with water and ice! Score! He saw I was alone and asked if I'd like to join his group. I said sure! I set out on a ride with these guys with one bottle of water and one Hammer bar on a ride that used to take me three Clif Bars just to get to the top. It's been several years since I've McGill instead of the road and it seemed a lot easier than I remember. I PR'd every climbing segment without really even trying. This was a fast group up and down. One of the guys actually lives just a few miles down from the trailhead. As much as I wanted to do Skyline with the IMTB crew this was definitely the next best thing.

20200523_153737.jpg IMG_20200523_155432_550.jpg

Stkx66, Redman, Oaken and 24 others like this.
  12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    I met @Fueledbyex8 and his bud Ben up at Aspen Glen parking lot this morning bright and early for some Western Skyline trail fun. Temps were crisp in shade and cozy in the sun. More and more people filtered in every minute we were there. We set off up 2N10 for a nice warm up. At Plantation Trail we pedaled the mild one mile climb up to rejoin 2N10 and then where Skyline crosses. It was gonna a two loop day, the first would take us West on Skyline. Lots of water on this section which made for some messy riding. But we had fun. Albert and Ben enjoyed it. We looped around and ended up back at Plantation. We climbed Plantation again and reached Skyline once more. After a break we headed East this time toward Grandview Point junction. As we were dropping one of the DH sections, who do I see coming at me, none other than the Trail Slayer himself. Behind him, in no particular order was @Grego, @Faust29, @mtnbikej, @horsebikerider, @mountaingirl sara, @SS Barby, @Voodoo Tom, @Mikie, and @JoeMac. Sheesh! We chatted for a few mins and then we headed out on our ways.
    We reached Grandview Point where a good number of riders were gathered. Took a breather and then it was off on Pineknot we went. Today was the most crowded I have ever seen Pineknot so we never really got any good speed going down. We’d pass by a few small groups of hikers and then more groups would be right around the corner and it went like that all the way down the mountain. Back at the cars, we enjoyed refreshments to reflect on the day’s ride. Another good one for the books!

38ED949B-1593-4B8B-9781-73BFC303C695.jpeg

7C19499E-DC4D-4283-8CC8-10108152BB3F.jpeg

E6E025F7-6BB3-4DC4-B20C-7B3AA5185B5C.jpeg

13. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Got my better half out for a lap around the outskirts of the Cheese. First off, the Ripley was a dud. She knew it almost as soon as she rode it around the neighborhood, but the fit was just off and the bike felt unwieldy. I wanted to challenge her a bit and expose her to more local terrain to make sure she has a more robust picture of what mountain biking is like before we take the plunge on a purchase. Did Palo Comado up to China Flats, Albertsons to Hidden Treasure, and then Edison, Ridge Connect, Palo back to the car. Lots more climbing than the first time, some mellow single track XC, and a couple sections of very mild tech on HT. Overall she climbed like a champ again, though poor bike fit had the front wandering a lot when it was steep. She did great around China Flats, and had to walk a few sections on Hidden Treasure, which I figured she would. Despite the challenges and some ego blows she's no less enthusiastic about getting started, so here we go. 14.8 and 2,551 of not Big Bear, but where I was supposed to be today. She also thinks that bikes are fun.

IMG_6288.jpg

Stkx66, Redman, Oaken and 21 others like this.
  14. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Skyline planning went sideways, so threw together a repeat of yesterday's 20 miler. Kids were willing, so we set out. A bit late unfortunately, so it warmed up more than I wanted it to. Pretty fun loop out my back door!

20/1,100/3

49928401792_fa0ce2c2db_h.jpg

49927578143_398bfa2b23_b.jpg

49928433702_94a9696508_b.jpg

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Cough 27.5 cough...

Stkx66, Tom the Bomb, Oaken and 8 others like this.
  16. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Mojo 3 perhaps? :whistling:

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Plus tire specific? Wouldn't be my recommendation. Finicky tire pressure that could be off by a psi or two and she wouldn't know it. Bouncing like a pogo or squirming like jell-o.

Maybe they've changed it to run more reliable tire widths (2.3-2.5).

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    You can run 2.2-2.8 Chris. Jennifer is running 2.6 front and rear.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
  20. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Yeah, just saw... I actually looked at the Treks, and didn't notice they had the smaller bikes with 27.5, I thought they were all 29er. Cool deal!

22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    That was definitely on the radar, and I chatted with Vince about it a bit. There's even a Roxy Lo tune available for the rear shock for the super lightweight riders, like my wife. After all the chat he checked inventory, and there are no smalls available.

23. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    No vents on her helmet???

24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Couple small ones. That’s her bike path helmet. New helmet is one of the next orders of business.

25. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I met @Rumpled today. Jim is a swimmer with a thick skin. We rode with the Smeegies and rendezvoused with Doug for a few loops and jaunt to O’Neil Camp. Headed back and tried to charge Waterworks. Going back to cars, Rumpled gave me an awesome Pliney Elder that hit the spot. Actually nailed the spot!4533C629-2CFA-4085-8496-2E42BD8A338F.jpeg
    A quick Safety Break and I get the oomph for 11 more miles. It was a glorious afternoon outside with Froinds.

26. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Yesterday's pics from our ride at Skyline and @SnakeCharmer new bike day first ride on the trail, here we are me and my friend Ben following Mike on 2N10 fireroad good lil warm up to plantation.
    20200523_091536.jpg

Once done w/ Plantation here we take a quick lil break where Skyline meets 2N10
    20200523_111657.jpg

New bike day boy showing off his bitchen" bike!!
    20200523_180948.jpg

Once we did our first west side of the Skyline loop climbed up Plantation once more. Then headed east on the Skyline for some more goodness. This is where you get the great views of the surrounding area and Mount San Gorgonio and some of the SART trail beautiful!! took some pics along the trail of the guys.
    20200523_180811.jpg

20200523_113918.jpg

Once we reached Granview point took another lil break to enjoy the moment, and the scenery and more E-bikes?:stop:""
    Cant forget to mention it was also nice to run into the IMTB crew out there as well, didn't surprise me to see the TrailSlayer leading the the guys and gals:thumbsup:

Down Pineknot, well as you know already from Mike's report it was stop and go like the 405 fwy.:eek: w/ hikers. I'm ok w/ that we all needed that lil get away from home this weekend. Nice to see others and family's enjoying the good old SoCal outdoors. Thanks Mike and Ben for another great ride!!

27. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Winter Creek loop this morning. 6a.m. start with minimal traffic on the trail. The Starbucks sipping hordes were walking in from the damn as I was leaving..... Zoo.

Too a little bonus spin to the falls at the end.

IMG_20200524_065323.jpg

28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Found solitude for a few moments atop Mt Pacifico
    IMG_20200524_092927.jpg
    Snow plant
    IMG_20200524_092355.jpg
    ANF was/is zooed out from Chilao all the way down to the 210. Go to the beach, people! Ha ha!

29. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Went on the Maiden voyage/dial it in ride. Was supposed to do Just Outstanding, but I slept through the alarm and had to ride the Sh!t hills of Bakersfield 094458D2-2F58-4B58-9EC0-5E508EC034F8.jpeg

30. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Just got done on Exploration. I haven’t ridden that trail in years. Super fun and challenging. The corners are totally blown out though. Lots or riders and hikers and big groups of self shuttlers.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?