I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    I biked to the trailhead (Ridge park) but i did not see any closed signs. Perhaps it is just the entrances from Laguna Beach

Sassyquatch, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  2. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Pulled into my favorite parking spot at the Maple Springs Visitor Center at 5:30 Am. Gate is still closed. It was a kinda chilly 28 degrees. When I got up to 4,000 ft. elev. started seeing patches of ice. The only people i saw on the way to 4 Corners were a family that had driven up Bedford Road and camped at about 5 1/2 miles up from the MSVC gate. Before seeing them I could see puffs of smoke from their stove. When I got to 4 C's I hung out there for a while and started seeing people coming up Harding. All of them had started from home. Went up to Modjeska and at 4,900 ft. started seeing snow and ice. Helped a person fix a flat. Enjoyed the ride down and did not encounter a whole lot of people. All in all Fabulous. 19.25 / 3,250 :)

20200328_095144.jpg

3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I thought the day parking at maple springs was closed?

Mikie, Danmtchl and mountaingirl sara like this.
  4. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    So far parking in the marked spaces is ok. There is no signage to the contrary. Parking in other than the marked spaces is probably not a good idea.

5. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    GE today, I expected a lot more snow, but found the trails were mostly muddy from the snow melt. Not a problem, as it was beautiful and I hit a little hero dirt on the DH. I only came across one rider, John Fisher, you probably know him @Mikie , he’s a good guy and a former yoga student of mine. Lots of moto’s and jeeps on the fireroads.
    Mikie, we need to schedule some clean up for the middle section if your interested :whistling:

9E6B109A-5C94-49A4-A266-A795E6D70946.jpeg

B4591863-BA5A-43D5-9F7A-6EBF7C4F8820.jpeg

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Good ride today. Rode from my house to STT. Rode up a couple miles past the luge, then back for a luge run. A Few ebikes out. At the top of my ride not far from old camp I was talking to couple friendly guys on ebikes. Found out they just started riding and love it. Trust me, they'd never have gotten that far on real bikes. :facepalm:
    Absolutely beautiful day, a few more riders than usual, only a few hikers with 2 of them about half way down the luge. Good thing I'm slow as had enough time for them to move and me to avoid them. My guess is they won't hike it again.

Saw our own @herzalot driving toward STT as I was on my way home. :thumbsup:

18 mi 2400 ft.
    Great day!

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    That’s weird, Cnf site says maple springs day use area is closed.

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I did a double STT-Luge lap, just like last Saturday. I planned to start a little later today because I feared that all of OC and LACo would be out on the OC trails this morning. But as I rolled up past Cooks to my intended parking place, it just wasn't very crowded. Based on the spacing between cars, it was crowded earlier.

After bantering with some friends including @Danimal this morning via text, my friend Kevin said he would join me. Yay! I haven't ridden with him since November.

Nothing much to report other than glorious weather, small crowds - very few bikes, courteous people and one hell of a fun romp down The Luge. No traffic on the trail.

And like last week, it was so fun, I had to go again. Kevin wasn't up for another run, so I did my second lap solo. A few pairs of hikers, one pair of e-bikers that caught me at the crest, but let me lead down the hill. One guy was an ass - not to me, but he was talking to his buddy about "Yeah if they close the trails here, I don't give a F@ck, I'll just keep riding them. Give me a ticket or throw me in jail." He was also talking about all the places he rides his e-bike (illegally), so I wasn't surprised he had no respect for the law, or social obligations. He also clearly needed the e-bike - and not because of age - if you catch my meaning. But they were both pretty good descenders on their motor cycles.

Second run was an absolute blast. Then I felt unusually strong on the climb out of there and the long slog up Santiago to my car. I feel so blessed to get to be out riding yet another day. I just didn't want it to end.

15.6 miles, 3000'

Bikes are fun - and we are truly blessed. :cool: :) Stay safe and be well, y'all! :thumbsup:

Oh, and because you all need yet another photo of me with my bike and almost-matching jersey:
    Top of Luge 3-28-20.jpg

9. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Rode the local trails today. Poppies are out but nothing like last year. 13+ and 1,700.

4426FC41-758A-4589-A1C1-3F2F599EA49E.jpeg

48888E73-5FA7-4E67-B4FE-D8DC28DAFB91.jpeg

10. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Palm Canyon gaps and drops with the Trail Slayer. No crowd, hero dirt. Send it!
    eBZ-z4LVEoDAuHmWhAVGCViVaCCQMPSwAxgk3g-Vx9U-2048x1536.jpg

11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    It's early yet. Just wait...

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and I finally dusted off our mountain bikes and did a local fire road loop. I decided to mount my Minion DHF/Aggressor wheels for whatever reason. It was a nice mellow cruise. Most of the people we saw out and about were on foot in the surrounding neighborhoods. Everyone was friendly. It was a nice relaxing day. :)

20200328_120114_copy_3024x2268.jpg 20200328_113702.jpg 20200328_120708.jpg 20200328_122743.jpg 20200328_175821_copy_2346x1760.jpg

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Did a little climbing with The Professor and by request Mini Professor from this point on will now be referred to as "Mumbles".

Climbed up to Sierra Peak. Temps started on the cool side, but warmed up before getting a bit chilly on the way down.

Thought about adding on a little more, but The Professor wasn't feeling it.

Talked to another rider that had tried going up Skyline only to be turned away by the Authorities at the trailhead.

Was good to get out.

20 / 3000'

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Awesome shot. Ready for Rampage! :thumbsup:

15. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Unfortunately it looks like the grass and weeds might be so tall we won’t see them.

16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    One of my favorite routes is to get a spousal-shuttle up to County Line Rd. in Calimesa. Then I can ride incredibly open trails all the way back home with just smidge of asphalt at the end. Pretty much all downhill, so it's just a blast. Firstborn and Middle Child have been sorta' lazing about, so got them out. Fitness for all of us has dropped pretty quickly without riding regularly, so this was a good way to get a longer ride in (I sound like an e-biker). Everyone had a good time, and not that many trail users out. A large number of friends and acquaintances though, which was a bit unusual. We even got in a half hour of trail building which is pretty cool with three people! Only one upside down incident, but it got the thumbs up signal rather than the middle finger signal!

15/1,200/2

49710214356_4bddf003f9_b.jpg

49710214056_c8f438d93e_b.jpg

49709679268_71a72d827e_b.jpg

49710213606_704d6aabb5_b.jpg

17. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Good choice on one of the lesser traveled entries into the CNF. Was thinking the same thing if I didn't go to PC.

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Rolled out of the garage for my last O'Neill - Luge loop as a local... :eek: It's a little bittersweet, and I debated about heading elsewhere. Bell to Caspers? I'll miss that one... Tijeras Creek to the trails that don't exist in Ladera? Another miss...

I saw a few other riders in O'Neill, but everyone was well behaved. No close passes, and someone always seemed to pull over to keep distance... Down Live Oak to Cooks and up the Grade- passing a half dozen riders along the way. I won't miss that climb... :gag: As I entered STT, I could see that there were quite a few riders in front. I decided to take the "alternate" line, which I had to myself. If anyone wants to ride it today, I cleared out all of the spider webs! :thumbsup: Oh- And you should remember to unlock your fork before that last fast descent with the fun little drops. :p :whistling:

Herzy's flag isn't the only monument out there...
    IMG_1419.jpeg

I caught up to some riders on F-U Hill, and decided to fall back a little until the top. It's hard to go that slow up that climb on the single speed... :gag: When I got by the group, I had the trail to myself until I heard a couple e-bikes whizzing up from behind. Homemade conversions out of old full suspension bikes... I hit 10+ mph as they sailed by like I was going the other direction. :confused:

Fun run down the Luge... I had the bell going for most of the day. As I neared the bottom of the DH, I heard a woman's voice yelling "BIKER" in a heavy asian accent. I hit the brakes and inched past her and her husband. They were really appreciative of the bell. They weren't too happy when I told them that there would probably be another dozen or so riders in the next 15 minutes. I didn't see anyone else with a bell today... :facepalm:

Back down Live Oak to the monastery. I had a strange encounter with an older black Ford Ranger going the other direction on Live Oak. Face in the window, spitting angry, and flying the bird at me. I'd be willing to bet that it's the same jackass who exhibited the exact same behavior a couple years ago on the Plano Trabuco descent when @mtnbikej and I were headed out on an early morning death march. Crazy... Canyon Anger, perhaps?

At the Monastery entrance there was a lady in a Volvo unlocking the gate... She tried to stop me from hopping on the Hoffman-Homestead Trail (legal and open...). There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about what's open and what's not...

19 miles and 3000 feet... Last time as a local. :eek:

19. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Third day in a row..goal is to ride everyday until I go back to work on Weds..
    El Moro floop El Moro..
    Where next ummmmm..
    Greer callin....

20. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Rode with @Mikie and @scottay today, should let him tell you but, I’m quite certain Mikie LOVES his new hardtail! Film next week when I get around to it. :) Missed you @Voodoo Tom hope your dog is good!

21. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Trail Slayer...
    Need I say anything more? :geek::thumbsup:

22. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    End of an era! Happy riding on all those new trails!!!

Sassyquatch, Faust29, Walleye and 3 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    I rode my bike today, but I think I better post in Crash Confessions. :facepalm: :bang: :(

12.6 mi 1920' Bikes are fun, but only when they remain upright!

24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Rut row. You alright?

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
  26. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Being legit on the weekend, I did a ride I normally do after a rain when the trails are too wet. We have some canyons on the north side of the ridge over to the west of me. There are a steep, narrow-walled canyons that have roads with names like Old Canyon, Avocado Terrace and Edgeridge that drop off from the top of the Puente Hills fault. While it is just a mile or two away from me to the west, it is another world. You have mansions tucked away that I swear are cartel homes. Across the street are shitholes like down in the holler in Appalachia. And it is all climbing hard up and fast twisty down, in and out. One home is down in a wet arroyo and looks like something from a Louisiana bayou with Spanish moss draping down from the canopy. The biggest canyon, which has the main street down ironically called Vallecito, spills out into the San Gabriel Valley with the mountain range beyond.

I also re-conned a couple of black market trail heads that I had been eyeing off of Google Earth. I know of a dozen ways to get into these local hills and I just verified two way on the down-low others. Right now the mustard is too high to see where you have to go from there but come summer... me and the deer are gonna be on it.

27. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Courtney and I drove to Blackstar this morning hoping to park where I parked last Thursday on Silverado Canyon Road. Not to be. They put out no parking signs all along Silverado Canyon Road. We drove over to Chino Hills State park and ended up parking at Brea Sports Park. We had a great ride. Courtney rode up Sycamore and North Ridge and 3 bitches hill with no HAB. She peddled it all but not me. For the first time ever I peddled up 3 bitches hill. Not pretty with plenty of rests but I made it up with no HAB. That's a first for us both on that particular climb. Very few people were out on the trails. 23 mi./ 2,300 elevation

EC250AA0-AC27-4F74-9A3A-A00FF487004F.jpeg

F9194FD5-D68B-432F-A3D2-DC4D9730C09D.jpeg

28. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I did indeed ride my bike today. The ride last weekend was a shakedown with @Voodoo Tom at Tapia. Today, I taxed it to see what it could do. Rode with some guy named @scottay ? Anybody ever hear of him? And my good buddy @hill^billy !

Rode over on Hauser Mountain. Steep fire road climb up, one cross country single track fast and flowy, then some chunkfest Singletrack bombing. It was utopic!

So to share, I absolutely could not be happier with a new hardtail, I have been blessed to fall in to the perfect bikes for me with little search. I’m not a geo expert. I just read what folks like that ride like I like to ride then trust...

To be honest, the Ibis DV9 literally feels like a Hightower Hardtail. It’s rediculously stabil on descent. Speed did not flinch me at all. 35mm x 800mm wide Carbon bars with a 50mm stem combined with a 175mm dropper and 34mm x 130mm Fox Float Fork was security heaven! The chunk was totally manageable and predictable. You point, it goes there. Carbon rims are the shitz! Amazing tracking and feel.

Climbing was a breeze and I felt like I did not do any climbing today, and I am WAY out of shape! I can’t wait until I’m in springtime shape. This is going to be a great ride!

Hard not to like when you get a KOM on it’s maiden voyage!
    712874AD-2037-437D-AB72-655C48D6A673.png
    521AEE36-11D7-430D-93A9-727CA79537B2.png

29. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Holy FASHIZZLE Batman!
    Supahchick! WAY TO GO! we are so proud of you Courtney!!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

30. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    With the trails closing left and right it looks like I'll be riding more and more pavement. They shut down Sycamore Canyon just as I was leaving. The next few weeks will be rather interesting.

20200329_173510.jpg 20200329_173434.jpg 20200329_135031.jpg

Want to donate to imtbtrails?