I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    :D I turned around as soon as I got to the white stuff:whistling: Too tired to plow though it today

2. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Thanks for asking: I ended up rotating down the chute, smacked my hip on the ground, same side as Jan 1, banged the back of my head on the ground as the bike rotated down above me. Hey the helmet works in reverse. All I did was draw blood on my hip. My Jan 1 leg contusions are still hard- black and . I did not did not hit them. This did not have a rock field so really not too bad except the head and the hip. It is a long way down when falling backwards.
    I did try that ringing in the ear fix, it works.

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Roger on backwards. Slow-speed bumbles are the worst, I did a good one a month ago and my bike looks very used suddenly. And still working out the embedded spines of whatever. I'm pining for SoCal days when I could fly off into a bush or dirt. Heal up fast and get back on your program. :thumbsup:

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    What is the ringing in the ear fix?

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Indeed. Back from whence I came was my recent undoing also. I finally got around to cleaning off my rig this weekend, a mere two and a half months since it was dirtied, and discovered a good shot to the head tube. I must have done some inadvertent pile driver type maneuver to get the bike ass over tea kettle like that.

6. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    mikie wanted to know. I told him to smack his head hard into the ground and the ringing goes away. It only lasts as long as you head is out of wack, then back to normal. I did that last night, it works.

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3
    A few slugs from a Jack bottle will do the trick as well, for a little while at least. Strictly medicinal, of course.

8. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    CC73CAA5-AD31-4424-AB91-A7D54F27CD16.jpeg Uneventful Whiting/Luge ride today. No mountain lion encounter of any kind, no mauling or a friendly hello. Had most of the trail to myself. Only other biker was a young hotshot who shot past me on Mustard like I was pedaling backwards. The Luge was completely empty except for two hikers. I was going to try for a sub 1:40 time but wasn’t even close.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    1:40 from where to where? 3:30 is fast from flag to creek bottom. Please do not try for any downhill records at this point in your riding. :thumbsup:

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    I'm guessing he means 1 hour and 40 minutes for the loop... :thumbsup: But I do know someone who hasn't posted a time anywhere near as slow as 3:30 in months. It's all relative... And I'm a Strava Stalker. :Roflmao

And @Ocpop - There was a mountain lion sighting on Black Star yesterday. They're out there...

11. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Yup, 1 hour 40 min for the entire loop. May be a pipe dream...

seriously, I’m like an old lady when I’m going downhill, getting a PR is the last thing on my mind.

12. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    This is a pic from Saturday at Whiting taken by a friend’s coworker from back of her house. I admit I was sweating heavier than usual biking through whiting today.

4DBD1E2C-65DA-4E69-B27D-D419CE3B5F48.jpeg

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb, mike and 14 others like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    That’s awesome!

If you’re on Facebook, take a look at Jerry Springer. He’s a retiree who has game cameras in O’Neill... Some of his stills and videos are amazing. There are several cats living right in the arroyo.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Yes, I am aware that there are guys (and maybe some gals) who do 2:00 or 2:30 Luge runs. 3:30 is fast but reachable by solid riders on good equipment. Sub 3:00 is nuts. TB's times are just stupid fast.

Oh, and I think 1 hour 40 minutes is pretty quick for a full Whiting-Luge-Whiting run.

15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Wednesday practice. I think middle child will soon be faster than me! Also of note, I was telling her to be aware that the ground is drier than last week, and so is sandier and slicker in the corners. She said that yeah, she noticed that. Wow, she's already reading the trail conditions!!!

8/940/1

49392439538_7f950ae576_b.jpg

16. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    More pics from this weekend. Decided to check out New Millenium trail after the Revel demo. Remembered my light but didn't have the helmet mount for it. My knee didn't cooperate so I enjoyed the golden hour and was back to the truck by last light anyways. Nice flowy trail, will have to go back some time and finish it.

IMG_6658.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6715.jpg

17. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
  18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    O'Neill really only has one legal trail of any length... So I rode it twice. :Roflmao Once up Live Oak, and once up the Coyote Canyon side. I also did both entrances, so it's like two different trails! :p Needed a mid ride mechanical consultation with @mtnbikej concerning my rear shifty doo-hickey. They have bike stands :whistling: at the top of Vista! Kind of a funny shape though... :p

IMG_0942.jpeg

After my second run down the Vista DH, I popped out onto the pavement, and thought briefly about hopping on the second half of the Hoffman-Homestead Trail. It's off limits to bikes, and I've never ridden it. But it's really a cool trail and has several little step-ups and tight turns. It would be a lot of fun on a bike... Then I snapped to my senses, and remembered that I'm not on an e-bike, and rules apply. :thumbsdown:

IMG_0940.jpeg

12/2000

19. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Jan 8, 9 2004 so it is the correct month

20. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    interesting trail. The switch backs have an inside groove cut into them. It is there to shed the H2O. I used the groove a few times as I was riding it a little fast, the S back pops up and you cannot shed the speed fast enough. One of those is shown in pict 3, just past the straight away. The mustard was high and you could not see the corner ahead. This trail does not have the far side of the inside corner cut up the hill so it rides a little slow, I have noticed the farther west you go, the higher the berm is cut on the inside corners.
    Happy Grassland trails

Danmtchl, Tom the Bomb, evdog and 6 others like this.
  21. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Interesting... it was forwarded to a friend who forwarded to me. I guess I should have checked the details before posting it here. In any case there was no intent to deceive in any way on my part.

Danmtchl, CBone, Tom the Bomb and 6 others like this.
  22. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    How do you get the metadata on this photo? It doesn’t seem to have a time stamp.

23. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Maple Springs to Modjeska 17.9 miles 3,182 feet 1,780 calories 29 degrees

4:00 PM start. Gate was closed. :thumbsup: Started seeing frozen remnants at 4.25 miles/ 3,400 feet elev. On the sheltered mile before 4 Corners there was ice up to 2 inches thick. Stopped a number of times to assess the situation because of the fog and wind but they would diminish and I did make it up to Modjeska. Enjoyed the ride back down. :)

20200116_173034.jpg

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Ok... I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering. I read the EXIF and didn't see anything...

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Amazing that there's still ice up there! The shaded stretch 1/4 mile under Santiago Peak had thick compressed ice across the road. We were slipping and sliding and it was close to 70 degrees. :confused: :eek:

26. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo, Ripley V4 & Timberjack
    I think @da big hills was referring to when the attack happened. It was January 2004.

27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Ahhhh... Got it! Thanks for the translation.

28. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Yes, the cat was lying in wait next to the trail, popped up and got a dude. Then the cat dragged him down into the canyon bottom and buried him to age the meat. Other riders found his bike and thought, "Gee somebody abandoned an FS out here on the trail". The next day again lying in wait, a lady rider went by, again the cat jumped up and forced the girl to the ground. The cat was to dragging the lady down with the ladies riding partner holding on into the canyon when some dudes came by an saw the lion with a ladies head clamped in her jaw. They did their best to look BIG with their bikes above their head and threw large rocks. The cat let go and the lady was saved. Later when they hunted the cat down they found the dude covered with sand in the canyon bottom.
    happy trails a little lower on the food chain.

lucky for me my encounters are never lying in wait. They just crash through the chaparral and charge. When you hear the chaparral breaking it is time to exit stage left.

29. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    A few more pics from last weekend. Decided to check out some Backbone trail between Encinal Cyn Rd and Mishe Moshke or whatever. Nice trail, perfect weather and ocean views

IMG_6769.jpg

IMG_6785.jpg

You can just make out two trailhead parking lots in the distance below. I only ran into a couple people in 10mi each way, so I guess everyone headed into the wilderness area on the other side? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

IMG_6798.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

Danmtchl, Stkx66, CBone and 15 others like this.
  30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed all these pics from my stompin’ ground. Hopefully these will entice some more IMTBRs up this way.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?