I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You hear that @Ocpop @Lost Kiwi !? You crazy MoFos, bombing 5-Oaks like you own the place!

2. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    2.63 miles and 57 ft today.

In my riding partners defense hes not even 5 yrs old yet.

(Hes going to be faster than me before I know it :( )

Grego, Tom the Bomb, Redman and 15 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Ripley or Ripmo can be added to that list if you want a great all-around bike that rewards pedaling.

4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’ve got one Luge lap on the Ripmo, agree it pedaled great, the traction is amazing. But: The XL felt too compact, and I just didn’t feel inspired descending on that day. I could also blame the damp conditions that day...

I may have just talked myself into demoing a Ripmo AF....

5. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    You must have mistaken me for someone else, because I rode down Oaks like good ol Miss Daisy herself, one slow revolution at a time:)

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, bvader and 7 others like this.
  6. Ocpop

Ocpop Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Awesome! He’s ready for Mathis next weekend.

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah - the Ripmo AF (aluminum frame - clever), has better geometry for actual tall guys - go figure. Longer and slacker than the Carbon Ripmo, with a little more rear travel. The XL Ripmo C also felt a little cramped for me, else it would have been higher up the short list.

Fueledbyex8, Faust29, bvader and 6 others like this.
  8. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    I rode Greer ranch for the third time sunday. Love that place, so do thousands of other riders. Lots of people out but it holds the crowd better than expected if you just let the congo line pass by.

Obsidian, konakc, mike and 12 others like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I rode this weekend.......

hotta admit, even though the thought of Harding Hill Repeats had me giggly like a school girl, The Professor’s redemption ride in the desert was more important.

we rolled from Pinyon Pines campground@ 9:00 and temps were perfect, except for a little bit of wind. The dirt was damp and tacky.

with the longer route expected today, we treated the ride as more of a “stop and smell the roses” pace.

At the first gate, @Faust29 was pulling cactus needles out of this fingers....Josh decided to clean the climb....and tried and tried and tried. I showed him how it was done, and he tried and tried. Let’s just say he’ll have to try again next time.

the upper creek bed was dry, but we were happy to see water in the Portello. After a short break we continued on to the Sand Wash of Death.

Today, it was packed hard. We were able to stay on it rather than route through the singletracks. It went by quickly.

Up at the Oasis, there was a convention going on. All the shuttlers we say earlier were there. quick break and we headed up Hahn.

On the 2nd turn past the Hahn sign, the front wheel drifted too far wide, into the soft soil....next thing I know I’m hitting the ground. Saw it happening, and couldn’t do anything about it. Banged my knee and scraped my forearm. The white sun sleeves made it look worse than it was. We hung for a little bit while I waited for my knee to chill out. Decided to reassess. It was getting late, so we made the call to forego the Hahn/Dunn Rd. loop and head back to Art Smith.

with fresher legs, Art Smith is much more enjoyable. It is growing on me as a fun trail. It’s by not means easy, but it’s fun.

Made it back to the truck without incident.

Awesome day out in the desert.

AECF593C-6795-4F22-9E8C-85664979EC31.jpeg 81538B98-4637-4C14-AB38-E42C9184A591.jpeg 1A04BCD7-FCA2-435B-9F2C-4235639A65D8.jpeg D20FFBB7-C452-4D2A-9C60-7071C0190A6A.jpeg 03BB4ACA-7B9D-46DE-8C41-385AF2C292C8.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, mike, rossage and 22 others like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Yesterday was a late afternoon spin at the Oaks.

gotta admit the legs were pretty heavy. Thought about bailing early and going home. Instead, pushed on for 6 ups and 6 downs.

made it out of the park just before dark. Saw too many Ebikes out there today, especially the one that ride right by the ranger and she completely ignored it....yeah, that 16 year old really looked disabled to me.

19 / 2800’.

11. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    How was the riverbed at PCE after you come down off the mountain from the start? There were no clear routes when we went through this past October.

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    We lost the trail in a few spots, but it didn't last long... Lots of debris. There are also a couple cheater lines that bypass sections of trail. We followed one on accident, because it looked to be the correct route...

mike, Sassyquatch, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  13. Derek13

Derek13 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Smith
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower and Chameleon
    Sunday 1-12-2020. What a wonderful day for riding in OC. One of those rides that just felt great all around. Good weather, work out, and great vibes. Plan was to take my friend Grant up and back on STT to Old Camp. He doesn’t make it much farther then 2000’ climbing before really burning out. Drug him past Luge flag as far as Cadillac before deciding to turn back. Ended up using Luge to grab a beer at the Corner.

CE7EFB3E-B801-4ED6-BB46-90097B60CB19.jpeg 5158DD6C-F0F6-4859-8410-B2302DAA4D4D.jpeg 25D5D4D0-3933-4B11-8DAA-A59A915B7D03.jpeg

Fueledbyex8, mike, Danimal and 17 others like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Yea, but The Smeegies walked parts of it with his Cannondale Jekyll and you didn’t.

mike, herzalot, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Had a nice attitude adjustment/soul food kind of ride today... almost all FR as the ST heading W from Lk Hughes still has too much snow. But FR was ok and I thoroughly enjoyed it:D
    Head to toe mud splattered by the time I got back to my car:D #getoutthere #getdirty

DE9DD445-CFC8-4B4F-BAA7-0BF56BF0EF81.jpeg

0FE86B01-2418-4CEF-8264-D6AFE2F78EE3.jpeg

Redman, CBone, Fueledbyex8 and 24 others like this.
  16. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Made a last minute decision to head up to almost Canada for a Revel bikes demo on Saturday. Last minute meaning, I decided just before bedtime Friday that I might try and make it, but wasn't sure I'd actually get out of bed or not. I must have slept well since I found myself driving up north before 7am. Demo was at Los Robles / Space Mtn which I hadn't ridden before.

IMG_6625.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

Channel Islands in the distance

IMG_6649.jpg

The Rascal was a great climber as expected being shorter travel. Quite similar to V4 Ripley. Descending I obviously had to pick lines better with short travel. But that is expected, and it would help with more time to dial in the suspension.

I was more impressed by the Rail compared with expectation. The demo route had a couple miles mostly climbing to start. This bike climbed great. If I didn't know which bike I was on, I would have assumed it was the Rascal on the climbs. It didn't feel like a longer travel bike til the climbing really got steep, then you could feel it. It trucked over rocky sections like the one above with no issues, while the Rascal got bounced around a little. Descending was ok, suspension was a bit too stiff but that is an easy fix.

I liked both, overall. The trails were fun too.

mtbMike, Fueledbyex8, bvader and 16 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    First ride since the desert assault... I took the single speed pain machine.

The Professor gave me the choice of Old Camp/Luge or Harding to the Peak. I went with the elevation... Surprisingly, there was still some frost/ice on Harding starting at mile 4, and snow up higher. There were also a lot of downed trees... If Harding has that many, I can imagine what Joplin looks like... The last 1/2 mile under Santiago Peak was icy. Pretty crazy...

On the way down we saw two helicopters taking off and landing at the helicopter pads on Harding and near the top of Biscuits and Gravy. One even set down on the fire road itself. That was pretty ballsy. One looked like it might be military, but the second one was bright yellow...

Fun social ride... No PRs in danger. 28 miles and 5000 feet.

Edit: Harding micro-climates were in full effect. 65 at the bottom. Harding soup and upper 40s by mile four. Mid 50s at Four Corners. Almost 70 just below the peak, until we hit the leftover snow and the temp dropped to 50. Repeat on the way down... :confused:

IMG_0914.jpeg

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

18. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Still wondering when you're gonna get Josh onto a SS.

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    We discussed that on the climb today. He said, "F@ck YOU!" No misinterpreting that one...

I'll keep working on him...

20. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Thanks for the reporting, and the pics. Space looks like it's in good shape. Such a fun spot.

21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    So - 3 days?

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    :p

23. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    How u find out about it? I noticed some u tubers came around last season n it is now busy!
    It is a great place to ride...local group that maintains it r experts ....

24. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Promised myself 2020 would be crash free. Screwed that up on the 1st day. Just stalled climbing on a steep vertical chute and did a weird dismount straddling over the center bar. Standing on my tip toes I was doing good. My CG was right, stuck the landing on both feet on the first plant, sweet. Then tried to get off the center bar and that is when the trouble started.
    Happy evenings on the cold trails.

Danimal, Cyclotourist, mike and 7 others like this.
  25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ouch? Hope you're OK. A little evasive on the actual outcome.

Happy Healing?

mike, Tom the Bomb, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

It’s gonna be bad.

27. beartooth

beartooth Member

Name:
    rob
    Current Bike:
    process111
    an old friend a mine lives a few minutes away. We alternate meeting spots when we get together a few times a year. It was way more crowded than it was when I rode it last year and the year before.

Many riders sporting gopros. Could be the reason for the popularity. We came across groups that were 10 to 20 riders strong.

And yes the people who build greer are awesome. Part of the reason it can hold the crowds is due to the directional trails.

28. Robbie

Robbie Member

Name:
    Rob
    Current Bike:
    2019 Santa Cruz Hightower
    Speaking of directional trails, I did reverse (counterclockwise) Floop today. It’s like a different trail, especially if you do all the extra credit single tracks. I wouldn’t do it on a busy weekend though.

08BDAFE9-1EA1-47F9-B1A4-1F52A365F3B7.png

29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Just a mini today ;)

B9F9FAD4-3B69-4C6D-81F9-79C6BEC396B0.jpeg

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    First ride pic you've posted without snow in a month!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?