I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Very few here would throw in an homage to Carlo – that brought a smile to our faces, pal. :) On the trail yesterday, we mused how that kind of riding is undesirable to some, or possibly many. I know you are one to go after that kind of stuff, Dave. Plus a faction of you freaks here, nudgenudge. :cool:

Seems like some of you might have burned some haul pass on St. George (worth it), but I'm serious about sharing SoMo love if anyone wants to do some Phoenix-area desert riding this month. Doesn't have to be gripping. The Coast to Coast (and back, optionally) is a user-friendly and classic desert ST tour on a National Recreation Trail. Check Trailforks, it's loaded. I won't ride anywhere else this month, and I've ridden numerous spots around the valley.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    2018 Trek FEX
    I've got some phone videos of @mike dropping Holbert yesterday. :cool:

Saweeeetnesss!!! :thumbsup:

3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Hit oaks today.. met old friend Ramon...
    Hero dirt mostly gone.. last sat hero dirt..dried out fast...
    Hit hawk again..ate a little dirt.. tasty!
    1st time ever going over bar at the right hand drop.. always pucker up on the 2nd drop.. n not the first but today went over on the first.. looked up and see that the first drop is actually bigger than the 2nd...
    Was it always like that? Ummm..
    Then yucca..bb..barnam.. Chutes .. up and down..then cactus.. goat..up n down..
    Nice windy day...

4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    San Juan seems a little ho-hum after Saint George. Mellow run up to Cocktail Rock with the Professor. He wanted to go all the way to Blue Jay, but I didn't have the time today. Next time I'll put my big girl pants on.

Hard to believe that we were sliding in the rain a couple weeks ago, and fighting to keep our fingers warm. Today it looked like the trail hasn't seen water in 10 years. Bone dry and crazy loose with temps close to 70.

And a big "THANK YOU" to whomever took the time to fill in several of the Death Star trenches. :thumbsup:

IMG_0640.jpg

Grego, Redman, MolarM and 16 others like this.
  5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    2018 Trek FEX
    It was freezing cold up here all day, 37 when I left this morning and it never got above 60. I've been a little cold since our return from Utah. Go figure???

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    san juan dries up fast!

7. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Got the go ahead to go home a little early, so chose to spend my time riding a bike! An enjoyable eight miles/1,200ft. Chameleon feels really rough after riding the Tallboy all weekend! A couple PRs, including climbing up my nemesis. I often walk it, but just pushed and made some good time! Ended up pretty chilly at the end, but Utah taught me perseverance!

Look at that green starting to peek through the brown!!!

49236135837_e161c520f0_b.jpg

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Faust.. weird how fast the dirt dries... wind n sun ...

mountaingirl sara, Faust29 and mike like this.
  9. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    windy, cold, awesome sunset. Clear dry air with a layer of moisture air hanging out above trying to move in. Made a wonderful magenta climax to the blustery day.
    Happy empty trails

10. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    No doubt that will outrage a few people

11. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    I was wondering if I would ever get to meet @mike and finally got to, and was sure glad I did because the team we had made this the funnest ride I have had to date! And one that is etched in my mind forever due to riding something I would have never considered if it weren’t for Mike and @Tom the Bomb inspiring me to dig real real deep and grow a bigger pair!
    Definitely one of those unforgettable experiences!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 11 others like this.
  12. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Holbert is Insane! Makes you really dig deep! @mike digs deep! He tries till he makes it happen, and is seemingly not to afraid of what could happen! Parts I told myself no he gave a go, impressive to say the least!

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Doug, it was a great pleasure. We all were pushing our limit, but you did the riding, boss. :cool: My hope was that you did not feel any pressure, because that’s a sketchy motivator. You applied the skill and sack in perfect proportions to steal some plums and ride away without a scratch. Nicely done! :thumbsup: To next time...

14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Good ride in lcwp today with @knucklebuster. Up willow, fenceline, down lizards, back up to Bommer, down BVD, up Old Emerald, down TnA. BVD is perhaps in the best shape ive ever seen it, ruts mostly filled in but chunky part still chunky; and nice berms near the bottom, fun! TnA was in good shape too, looks like some work was done. Kudos to the trail elves. Great weather, cold with light clouds; dirt mostly dry again but little dust. Greening up out there

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 13 others like this.
  15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    LCF told me they were going to do some major excavation on the middle section of T and A - the part where we lose a lot of altitude without a lot of fun. I hope they do it right! :thumbsup:

Let's ride next week! :thumbsup:

16. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Love this post. The stoke is palpable. Congrats on a stellar ride.

17. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Blackstar Tree Farm to Beeks Place 17.71 miles 2,273 feet

When I started out from the Tree Farm it was 62 degrees and felt warmer the few times that the sun came out from behind the clouds.

20191218_150801.jpg

When I got to Hidden Ranch, I was still in daylight but the temperature had dropped to 39 degrees.

20191218_155146.jpg

Went up to Beeks and watched the sunset. On the way back down, most of the time I was riding in 33 degrees. It was a good thing that I had come prepared for cold weather. Nice ride :)

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Great ride today with sir huck alot :) Three fun downhills in just 10 miles. BVD has been made great again, big thanks to whomever cleaned it up. We rode it less than a month ago and it wasn't much fun imo.

A Ranger and CCC truck were parked at top of Big Bend but no one in sight. We stopped a little over halfway down because we heard some hooting and hollering. Quite a ways off the main trail through the dead mustard stalks we could see a group of maybe 15-20 with hard hats I think. Our guess is they are working on a re-route of the middle section that currently goes down the fall line. So like a big giant switchback. Would substantially lengthen the trail for sure. There has been some work on the trail too, drainage and maybe some berm/rut work at the top. Kudos to the CCC group if they are out there working on it. https://ccc.ca.gov/

Sir Huckalot at the bottom of BVD
    20191218_102947.jpg

Homage to that other trail across the canyon, or maybe some other hidden meaning?
    20191218_103045.jpg

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    After 3 days off....got back on the hike last night. Plan was for a quick spin at the Oaks.

Well, quick wasn’t in the cards. From about pedal stroke #9, I knew it was gonna be a struggle.

on all the climbs it felt like I was tied to a tree.

the DH’s felt fast though. Even PR’d Hawk by 6 seconds....not sure I was feeling that fast. Who knew.

trails weren’t very crowded. Wasn’t very warm either.
    Got home shortly after dark.

20 / 3200’

Grego, Mikie, herzalot and 13 others like this.
  20. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    But you still got decent mileage and great elevation....just saying :whistling:

Mikie, herzalot, rossage and 8 others like this.
  21. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    My last ride was Sunday, this week has been busy with work, puppy and Christmas stuff. I had to get me some dirt time before work tonight.
    Clear and crisp with a chilly breeze, it was really peaceful out there:inlove:

0DF7BAE3-AEA6-4887-ADD8-86624BB5A7EB.jpeg

Grego, Mikie, herzalot and 17 others like this.
  22. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Off work early for 10/1200 at Sycamore Cyn (south) w/ the guy two cubicles down from me... a great time out!
    Those trails are so noodly, Pastafarians have services there!

49245222071_ab3f9ebc18_b.jpg

49244751758_9700f502e7_b.jpg

49245435797_c910cdc0f9_b.jpg

Tom the Bomb, Grego, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  23. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Did you see any flying spaghetti monsters?
    Screenshot_20191219-184429.jpg

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    And all the people said, "Ramen!"

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Floridian?

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Cold dark STT (sort of... :whistling:) to Cadillac and down the Luge... Fun night with a silent bike. I took one large rock off the big toe on the way down. @mtnbikej got to hear a lot of words that aren't appropriate for a family friendly site! :whistling: :poop: :oops: We were pretty much alone, except for the 4 guys headed to Old Camp. They were geared up for an overnighter.

I also dropped the chain on the luge... My klutchenspringenthingy was in the wrong position... Oops.

12.6/2300

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

tick, Derek13, Grego and 16 others like this.
  27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Not a requirement to be a Pastafarian, but it helps!

28. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Perfect trails out a Chino Hills SP. Rode with ken the termin8r, frequently pushing the pace. Dirt was excellent. He showed me a Redwood Grove of trees at Carbon cnyn reg. park.....who knew these beautiful trees were there!!!
    26 mi/2800k elev

IMG_20191219_103100.jpg

IMG_20191219_103240.jpg

IMG_20191219_103053.jpg

FullSizeR.jpg

Redman, Tom the Bomb, Grego and 17 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    2018 Trek FEX
    Everything is greening up! :cool:

Mikie, Faust29, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

So it ended up being much warmer than I expected.

one of us decided that we’d check out the extra credit up and overs instead of staying on STT. It has been many years since I checked them out. Glad to see they were still ridable.

quiet night on the trail. Except for the 4 riders heading to Old Camp, we saw no one else.

Steve decided that riding. A bike wasn’t hard enough and tried to play soccer with a rock.

Heading down the Luge....felt like a total rookie. I was all over the place.

still a fun night in the bike.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?