I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yesterday I checked out the gravel segment of my upcoming event. Jennifer started out with me then I finished on my own. Trails were hero dirt except the ones that were clay. Those sucked. At one point I had to abort and take the road home. One more "training ride" this Sunday. Hopefully I have a strong enough base to just finish the event which has a total of around 70 miles and 9k!

20191201_133918.jpg IMG_20191201_135517_216.jpg

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Nice score! The Apache were there with you the whole day.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I’m betting you finish just fine...

Are you over-biked compared to most on that event? Just curious...

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Not really. I'll be riding a Lauf True Grit Race AXS for the gravel segments and of course my Niner for the MTB segment.
    06883e3e38462bb7b35eeb4326bb91d0039ee5bd_lauf_truegrit_raceforce1_lavablack.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Danimal, Redman and 7 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ahhhh... I missed that it was on multiple bikes. Thought you were tackling it all on the Niner.

Edit: And I got passed by one of those True Grit bikes during True Grit going up Zen Trail. Very humbling. :oops:

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    I agree with @mike that quality of travel trumps quantity - to a degree, so there's no need for me to be searching for more travel than my 160-160 Tracer. And I agree with you that 29ers with fluffy tires account for another 1/2" of travel or more. And I agree with you that the new Hightower is a more balanced bike than the Megalodon - based on my short test rides. However, the Hightower was set up better than the Meg to begin with, and it was smaller. I could be happy with an over-forked Hightower, except that I would become just another guy on a Hightower (but slower). Not getting something good because it's trendy is just as bad as getting something because it's trendy. :confused:

I know one thing for sure. I NEVER want to be in the position where my riding needs to speak for itself. If that happens, I am DOOMED. :(

So I still want to try the Yeti SB 150 (Long Travel 29er) and the Yeti SB 165 (BEAST 27.5 that pedals like it shouldn't). I was a Yeti diehard from 2007-2013, and they are still the only bike I would be comfortable purchasing without test riding.

And I didn't ride my bike or anyone else's today, so I shouldn't even be posting here!

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Gotta respect this even though I once bought an internet super star but yet untested by me Yeti big boy bike that did nothing but fall over while not moving and spit me on my head while moving. Different strokes for different folks is what keeps these boys in business. Once this whole thing works out though and you realize you should've just bought an over forked Hightower in the first place we will still welcome you to the club...:cool:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Awwww, that's the nicest and most accepting thing anyone has ever said to me. It's probably prophecy as well.

Danimal, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 7 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'll welcome you, too... After the appropriate amount of abuse, of course. :thumbsup:

11. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    So you are in Phoenix, we will be in the area and there to ride, maybe we can hook up Mike. Sometime between the 15th to 21st?

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    @hill^billy, our schedule has us pulling out around the 12th as it stands. If that changes and I’m here longer, yes, we have to ride. :thumbsup:

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Redman and 6 others like this.
  13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    With ultra low gearing and a weight of under 18lbs I'm guessing it will make my climbing effortless.

Mikie, mike, rossage and 7 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    With the weather rolling in later this week, the Tres Amigos (the riders, not the new burrito at Taco Plaza :p) headed for Old Camp and the Luge... Fun ride. No PRs were in danger. Cool sunset...

The single speed really needed some TLC after the San Juan rain ride last week. Everything came off, got cleaned and re-greased and put back together today... It was smooth as silk tonight- and silent. :inlove:

15.5/2936
    IMG_0426.jpeg

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Stkx66 and 16 others like this.
  15. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Maple Springs to Santiago Peak (almost) 22.27 miles 3,796 feet Yesterday

61 degrees at the bottom gate/ 42 degrees, windy and drizzling at 4 Corners. Was surprised to find the gate locked in the open position . On the way up to that point the soil was in nice condition. PR on mile 4.5 to 5.5, figured I'd get some kind of PR because the ride was feeling really good.

20191203_163517.jpg

Above 4 Cs, started seeing a good amount of snow. Was riding on Hero Dirt in tracks in the snow. That was great.

20191203_193151.jpg

Did not go all the way to the peak. Stopped about a mile short when my helmet light battery went dead. Handlebar light was still OK and I had gotten a plentiful amount of what was offered so that was fine. Light rain on way down. Local snow is the best :thumbsup:

16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Less than 10mi today, but I needed to ride and was curious about the snow in the Liebre Mtns.
    It didn’t take long before I hit the snow and it was just too deep and sticky to ride in for long.
    Happy to get out there before I head to work this afternoon. Bikes are always fun, even in mud and snow ;)

0440BEE7-0E62-4D06-BA32-E5DADA805ADE.jpeg

D3FC79E7-63EB-4333-B887-9A98A8A19183.jpeg

17. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Local grunt, felt a little easier . Not that it was easy but.... 7.53 mi. 1401 in 3.5. Love the cooler temps. Git some!

Mikie, Grego, shawndoh and 13 others like this.
  18. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Got sum! We rode similar distance & elevation today ;)

Mikie, Stkx66, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  19. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I enjoyed seeing everybody’s tracks (I am a tracker). If you look the power stroke is clearly visible. (on the fire road and the DG trail). I took out the 700 x 23 C's again and rode into the sunset so I could have my back to the twilight on the way home. It was nice. Those metal boxes left me alone.

This morning I was greeted with the news of an mtn lion attack at the bottom of Chumash trail. Somebody was baiting the wildlife with puppy chum. The ladies dog saw the cat and ran barking at it. The cat said thanks for breakfast, can I get it to go? The cats are getting closer since they do not have many of us ruining their territory and they are not staying hidden. The same thing is at my house. The neighbors have seen an adult bob cat the last few mornings. For us that live near the wild lands we know about such things, and my night lion sightings always happen around Christmas. So happy trails to everyone, just remember right now we are not exactly on the top of the food chain.

It was a sad story especially if you like toy dogs, this one was named Pumba
    And like they said in the lion king......
    happy trails in the circle of life

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Sunrise with MarekThePolishPunisher, and it was glorious!

21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I had to get some dirt with some friends before the rain hits tonight. Hero dirt for sure, but my bike was jacked after eating up a tumbleweed..it literally jammed up and I had a nice little OTB moment:rolleyes: :whistling: The rear derailer was so bent after that it literally was hitting the spokes after my dismount. The guys worked on it for a good 30min and got it working well enough thankfully.
    Anyways..it was fun to get out! Mtn bikers are awesome, bikes are fun, hero dirt is :inlove:

016F9E5C-4E29-4339-AA27-79EC61B60F7C.jpeg

22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Awesome Tom L is back on the bike:thumbsup:. That's some fast company you keep Sara...

Mikie, Stkx66, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Doooooood! That soil right now is Melachachachachacheeeeee! Call me SuperChickenNuggetD and watch me soar to save the day!

Mikie, Stkx66, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  24. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    He’s a beast Tom, the guy does not know how to slow down!

Mikie, Stkx66, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Yasssss! Hero dirt fo sho! Wish my bike was cooperating, might have been able to move a little faster:bang::sneaky:

Mikie, Stkx66, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's bizarre. Do you have a spare derailleur hanger? If not, why not?

Mikie, mtnbikej, Stkx66 and 3 others like this.
  27. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Yeah, yeah, blame the equipment. :rolleyes::whistling::p

Mikie, Stkx66, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I don’t have a spare, maybe I should order one..or just order a new bike:confused:
    The chain kept jumping behind the big ring stopping me cold. After a while I was riding like a granny, afraid to shift or really mash the pedals.
    :bang:

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Watch it missy :p

Mikie, mtnbikej, Stkx66 and 3 others like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah, that's a bent d hanger, or a suddenly-out-of adjustment limit screw (unlikely). I agree - time for a new bike. :thumbsup:

Mikie, mtnbikej, Stkx66 and 4 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?