I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Most excellent! Happy Thanksgiving indeed.

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I saw that as well... but didn't want to comment on it :)

Tom the Bomb, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  4. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I have yet to do the walk of shame for any reason but have seen others who have and upon offering assistance have been met with stern rejection. :rolleyes:

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Right on, my friend. To you and your bride!

Props for offering a place at your table to the solo flyers. With all the trimmings. :cool:

6. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    There were reports that some of that Canadian Stuff had made Its way down to OC. I had to go and see for myself.

There it is.

20191128_160128.jpg

Went up Maple Spring, with its closed gate. :thumbsup: Didn't see any snow on the ground until I got to the big rock turnout 5 1/2 miles 3,700 feet. At that point it was 50% coverage. Also started getting a mix of snow and rain, 29 degrees. At 4,000 feet a 3 inch blanket of snow .

20191128_181029.jpg

Didn't go all the way to 4 Corners. Turned around at 6 1/3 miles because the rear wheel was continuously icing up. It was fun bike skiing back down thru the powder. The last 5 miles I got a whole lot of rain. Was clad well enough to stay warm. The third pair of gloves was nice to have after the first 2 had become thoroughly soaked. :)

Cyclotourist, Grego, tick and 25 others like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
  8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Looking at doppler snow level now looks to be around -2500 must’ve lowered overnite

Tom the Bomb, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Glad you got back safe and sound. Those mountains aren't always the best place to be by yourself during a storm... at night. I might be tempted to go with someone else... but not so sure if I would solo it, even as many times as I've been up and down Maple Springs.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Can’t beat the on-scene reportage. TFPU, Steve.

More than that, I’m inspired by your persistence. Always out there, maximizing the experience spectrum. :thumbsup:

Tom the Bomb, Faust29, Luis and 8 others like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    752D0E35-CB77-44CB-AA76-A2AE3D89BEA2.jpeg

The weez ate up the megachunk on Pass Mountain. I got chicked in a couple dumb spots, but stuck the steep rocky switchbacks with some trials-esque trackstanding, ratchet pedaling and precise unweighting. Yea, this trail will take every bit of your skills to keep pedaling through, up, flat, down. Full value!

29er shines in these rocks. She is loving the platform and the 130 coil shock, riding as well as ever.

Big grins were had, jovial exchanges with many hikers were pleasant. Props to the AZ hikers for sharing the trail and keeping it immaculately clean.

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    @mtnbikej , The Professor and I sought out the snow... We were successful. :p

It was a little surreal to run into a father and son who stopped to make a snowman. Don't see that too often around here. :thumbsup: Also surreal was the large group of riders who stopped at the end of the pavement- Starbucks boxed coffee in hand! :D

15.2/2700

IMG_0394.jpeg IMG_0410.jpeg IMG_0400.jpeg

Not my snowman... We ran into a father and son who stopped on the way up to make it.
    IMG_0414.jpeg

13. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Nice! I’m a lil jelly:oops::whistling:
    :D

14. Old&InTheWay

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Maple Springs to 4 Corners Night Ride.

33 degrees off and on drizzle with some snowflakes in the mix breezy at times so much fun :)20191130_203553.jpg

15. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Was the snowman still there? :D

Mikie, tick, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  16. Old&InTheWay

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Yes it was

Mikie, tick, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Spectacular photos! TFPU :thumbsup:

Three more more possessed spokeheads who can’t get enough...guys after my heart. :thumbsup::cool::sneaky:

Mikie, Danimal, tick and 8 others like this.
  18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Wasn't sure if I would ride today or not. Decided to play it by ear, depending on when I woke. Left the house around 7:30... Pulled up to a pretty full lot at lower Monroe. Lots of people out this morning. Creek is dry, no issue there. Rode up to the fire road and turned around. Nice views at the top

IMG_20191201_092326.jpg

19. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    Got out to Santiago Oaks this morning for some chilly pedaling. Upon getting to the top of Chutes, I was surprised to see no one there and the trails off in the distance all appeared empty. What a treat riding on a Sunday morning with zero crowds. I did run into a handful of riders, but it was always at a trail head. It was cold and breezy, dirt was almost to good. Climbing was quite a bit more earning. Honestly it was too soft, my 16 miles felt like 26. However, the descents were among those that will be remembered. Never has going so slow felt so fast. Super traction abound everywhere, going up or down. Corners felt as if I was on rails. The Highroller on the front loves to get those side knobs biting into that succulent terra firma. Had to hit Hawk, Cactus, & Yucca twice just to make sure I wasn't trippin'. NOPE! Not trrippin'! Super tacky velcro confirmed. It was nice to ride on good dirt for a change. Bikes are fun! Life is grand! Get out and ride!

Image.jpeg

20. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Monroe TT. No water in the creek bed, hero dirt, absolutely a blast today. 15 / 2,500.
    20191201_105834.jpg
    20191201_112856.jpg

21. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The word got out late that Oaks was open. Only two ebikes but there were a dozen guys in the lineup who were just staring at the Chutes drop in. I’m glad they opened the park today, the trails are compacting nicely.

A big “yeeew” to the good man grooming Cactus as well.

Mikie, mike, DangerDirtyD and 10 others like this.
  22. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Double header weekend. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Saturday took the SS up/down Skyline in Corona. Uneventful, just good riding. The fire road was in great shape after the rain. Good views of the snowy mountains.
    Sunday, speaking of snow, up to the Gabes with Vince, The plan was to head up Fern then down to Millard, up Sunset all the way to the tunnel and back down upper/middle Merril, Sunset ST, El prieto. Layered up starting from JPL. Only after a couple miles, the extra layers were off. Warmer than expected. Fern was in good shape. The Sunset climb is a bitch as usual. Saw some deer hanging out. Not long after the ending of the Sunset pavement we rode in patches of snow. Then bigger patches until the FR was completely covered. We decided not to go any further than the top of MM. Just too much snow. So down MM we went. Icy slushy ST at first, hero dirt about half down MM. I forgot how fun this trail is! Didn't blast down, was just careful. Several hikers out too. Amazing how easy the chunk is at a slower speed. Down Sunset ST and EP took it easy as well. Haven't had a 7000' weekend for a while. I was beat. The ST delivered a smile on the face. The WFsnOw rode well after getting my broken shifter replaced recently. Vince was Vince... Good times!
    nmFuwy0EOHLPnRwL3mwAvuehOYNX7nwZxuhjJJKUev0-2048x1536.jpg

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    I rode lots of things today. I only took pictures of two of them:
    5 runs on these:
    Skis Mt High 12-2-19.JPG

6 runs on this:
    Mt High Snowboard 12-2-19.JPG

The other vehicle I rode today was an XXL SC Megalodon. Quick Luge run at 2:45 (time of day, not my time on the Luge). I spent a lot of time getting the suspension set right. I think whoever rode it before me must have weighed 350 lbs. The Fox Grip 2 36 was set at 110 psi, with the high speed compression turned all the way in, as well as HS and LS rebound maxed out. I weigh 210 and run about 62 psi in a Fox 36. The RS rear shock had about 235 psi. I run 200 on that shock on the new SC linkage. Once I dialed it in, it was pretty cool. I've never fit better on a bike. It climbed OK for a massive beast. I never used granny. The descent down The Luge was not stellar, as I was not confident what the bike was doing under me. The rear of the bike had moments of brilliance. I need to give it a proper test on Aliso/Laguna climbs and descents. I did see @kioti doing trailwork, of course.

Is the Megatower better than the Firebird 29? I think the rear suspension setup is more supple. Seems to climb about the same on STT. There were moments of pure lethargy on the Megalodon that I didn't experience on the Firebird. I really want to love a long-travel 29er, but I haven't found "the one" yet. I guess it must be the Smash, right?

24. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Got only about 5 miles or so as I set out to do a little trail work on one of my local trails called Flash Flood. Completely redid a berm and fixed a little hump of dirt over the branch of an old live oak. After I finished, went up to the top of Flash Flood and got my PR! Pretty stoked!

C4E1A5F3-8363-41B8-80E1-920ABE2F24E6.jpeg

311DF3F6-8986-41A3-9B91-1AC7DF33C3D0.jpeg

97D64EF0-EF5E-4160-A369-070FEB813A77.jpeg

C12C883A-6E04-46BE-B0ED-C44AE4C75C2F.jpeg

25. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash

And how’d you like the Heritage?

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  26. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I think you’d appreciate some aspects of a Smash. Steep SA and adjustable reach, etc.

But if you’re lukewarm on two advanced enduro-style niners, I’ll posit that that style of bike is not right for you, and that GG’s version of it won’t wow you either.

By indications you put plush at a premium. Just like someone else I know who wanted to jump into 29ers and had a preconception that she had to have XXX mm of travel.

FF to now. The little travel monger likes 130 mm tuned coil/Freedom linkage on 29 better than 150 mm of VPP on 275. Granted it’s not current VPP and she is not you.

The point of course being that more trail might suit better than more enduro, and quality of squish can trump quantity. It’s too bad a $300+ commitment is necessary to experience a shock or fork tuned for a rider. Many will never touch that, though it might produce a dream ride. We are fully sold on the work Avalanche did; exactly what we wanted it to be with zero compromise. Yes it’s a hassle. Yes, if you have particular suspension desires it’s worth it.

I digress. What did you ride today? :geek:

Redman, Mikie, herzalot and 9 others like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Megatower may be too much bike for an everyday trail bike......just my opinion. The new version of the the Hightower may fit the bill a little better. Remember the bump in wheel diameter compensates for a little bit if the travel. Going from a 160mm 27.5 to a 150mm 29er May be the lateral move you should check out.

Mikie, herzalot, mike and 8 others like this.
  28. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Hardtail. 300+mm of plush, muscle-damped, quad-cramped, human leaf spring suspension with involuntary lockout. Bottom out damper gene defined.

Get some!

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I ride those trails in your area, but I don't know any of the names! Time to hit Strava for a little research... So I can check out your handiwork. :oops:

Edit: I see which one it is... That's a fun little trail. Can't wait to check out your work. :thumbsup:

30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    840FDBCA-8A4D-4EC2-A035-6BD44545C33C.jpeg

1F8B7093-368C-4BE7-8E9B-2556AFDDB195.jpeg

2A475CEA-40CF-4F33-BBE2-9440A08AD9A5.jpeg

National Trail, SoMo.

She cleaned The Waterfall, so yes, it was a fkkng awesome ride. Weekday score with high clouds, 60s and a few users on the trails.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?