I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Me too...then I saw some guy with a hardtail and a huge smile drop into it and I figgered I should be able to ride it. (Haha.) So, next time there I rolled into it and had the worst crash I've ever had, full OTB dismount with flat back landing in the trail. My first thought was "I can't believe I'm not paralyzed!" followed by "I can't believe nobody got a good look at that maneuver!"

I got away with a little hand injury, but my psyche suffered substantial trauma that made the next try "interesting."

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    You got cajones the size of cantaloupes! No way... If I managed to live, my wife would kill me later! :stop:

3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    You did it AGAIN???? Holy Carp (to plagiarize a Herz comment)!!! Amazing you managed to miss all the rocks and other sharp objects, not to mention the rather rapid descent down the mountainside.

4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    Third day in a row...?
    Emotionally scarred for life (in a positive way).
    Promised to take Cathy to Tapia today to get some spin time in.
    Last night, UPSed caught wind of it and offered a couples ride and naturally we said yes, Yes, YES!

Met at 9:00am at the Sports Center in Castaic. Although the outside temp said 51 degrees, the wind chill factor (19 mph) had to put it in the low 40's.
    I tried to tuff it out without a windbreaker thinking I would warm up but no could do. Broke it out and never took it off.

The girls did awesome! UPSed and I got to throw a little heat on a couple of descents.
    Afterwards we hit up Rubio's for some Fish Taco's . . . Yum! Fun day!
    Thanks UPSed and Jennifer!
    tapia.11.28.2015.PNG

IT'S cold! ...but still smiling. Getting ready to Rummmmmbahl!
    IMAG00270.jpg

Up at "The Towers"... Cathy, UPSed, & Jennifer!
    IMAG00271.jpg

Huddle up! ...for a pic before we freeze...
    IMAG00273.jpg

Jennifer flying in to the end of Dog Tags sporting her imtbtrails jersey and a great big smile...
    IMAG00275.jpg

Cathy always smiling! Nice finish on Dog Tags!
    IMAG00277.jpg

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    ^^^What he said!^^^Screenshot_2015-11-28-16-12-40-1.png

6. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Dig the smiles! TFPU.

Making up thoroughly for lost miles, eh, Mikie?! Good on ya :thumbsup:

pperrelle, UPSed and Mikie like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c, SC Hightower
    ^^^Wish we lived closer @mike to get the best of both worlds!^^^

pperrelle and Runs with Scissors like this.
  8. mike

mike iMTB Addict

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Smash
    Ah, sheez, I know...we got some first world problems. All the sweeter when we bust out. Keep the stoke raging, pal : )

pperrelle and Mikie like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    I rode again today.

I had so much fun on Monday's HJ/San Juan ride.....I decided to do it again. Slept in and started a little later, hoping it would be warmer....it would eventually turn into a very nice day.

Tons more people out today compared to Monday. I was following some tire tracks up HJ...sounds like someone was just ahead of me.

Damp soil everywhere was nice and tacky. Was happy when I got into the sunlight

Going up
    IMG_1323.JPG

Made it to Main Divide and began the traverse across. In the shaded sections around 3200' was lots of frost
    IMG_1324.JPG

It was pretty chilly in the shady spots. Sections of Main Divide were in much worse shape compared to a few days ago....lots more vehicle/moto traffic up there.

The Wall was.....the Wall....and no, I didn't clean it. 575' up in 1 mile.....ugh!
    IMG_1325.JPG

Finally past Trabuco Trail and down the other Wall and onto Blue Jay Campground for water.
    IMG_1327.JPG

Tons of bikes queing up to start the ride....I filled up quickly and got in front of them. San Juan was a zoo today. Conditions were great, but again...too much traffic.

Found a better into Caspers. Trails there were pretty torn up from a lot of horse traffic. No PR's up Star Rise today. Did the extra credit and headed back to the truck.

50.5 miles/ 7762' ascent

https://www.strava.com/activities/441088988/overview

Screenshot (129).png
    Screenshot (130).png

IMG_1326.JPG

10. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Your moving time was about the same, but you seem to have shaved a few hours off the total without the boat anchors to slow you down! Bravo... :thumbsup:

I left the house at 7:10. What time did you get moving?

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    Rolled away at 7:34......I was about 20 mins behind you at Main Divide.

I just didn't stop all that much today.

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    I'm surprised you didn't catch me. I hung out at the top of HJ and chatted with a couple of hikers for awhile, and then pointed them in the direction of UHJ. That was a fun tough hike... And it's in rough shape.

pperrelle, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

I think I was slower on TCR...I was trying not to sweat too much with my jacket on.

pperrelle, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    @Faust29

Had I known you were ahead of me....I would have pedaled faster. :thumbsup:

15. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

Name:
    Craig
    Current Bike:
    '14 Turner Burner
    Boat anchor. I resemble that remark :p

I bet the traction changes were huge from Monday to today with the rain in between, heh.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    It was pretty damn nice out there.....SJ was still loose.

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

No boat anchors....social rides pace is different than solo rides pace.

Neither is good nor bad.

18. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon & Highball C
    Ummm... That was a social pace?!@#~@!#$@$? o_O

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS
    You were able to ride and talk at the same time. :thumbsup:

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    OK, you guys are...

A.) Having way too much fun and
    B.) Violating the rules of the thread. Those are real rides and real ride reports. This thread is for ordinary rides that make you smile but aren't worth an actual ride report. All of these pictures and STRAVA stats are turning this into something... enjoyable. Stop it immediately.

I rode my bike today. No - really, I did. Danimal can attest to it. I intended to do Whiting-Luge- Whiting, but I ran out of time due to a family/social obligation. So I rode Whiting - Luge- Glenn Ranch Road. I felt infinitely better than I did last Sunday, climbed with some energy, descended with a big smile, and desperately want to do something similar again tomorrow. But alas, yet another family obligation. Hopefully, I'll get in a couple of climbs and drops in Aliso.

Oh - and GREAT weather today, coupled with wonderful dirt, my good friend Dan and our mutual friend Jeff.

That is all. Bikes are fun!

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS

Wow.....You started this whole thing....and you were Post #2000 :thumbsup:

22. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    20151126_132841.jpg
    Well this ride was on thanksgiving, we did hit the Fully loop, we had a great time all of us, 5 total, one friend brought his drone, man that toy is amaizing... Herz please rate my ensemblè.... ;)
    IMG_0557.png

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I can't write... I have a tear in my eye from the magnificence! C'mon - even the socks and your friend's grips match!!! And plaid is my favorite color. The red on the gloves for a splash of unexpectedness, yet matched by the soles of your shoes, uncanny! And wise choice to put the blue parts on your bike so you don't have to try to match the actual color of the bike.:thumbsup:

What's even more impressive than all of that is the photo of the man himself... you've dropped some serious poundage, yes?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

24. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Name:
    Roxanne
    Current Bike:
    '16 Giant Trance Advance
    Lookin mighty sharp Jaime AND profesh!! :thumbsup:

25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Addict

Name:
    Edward Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO Plus
    Final ride to end a wonderful vacation! Joined the JRA MTB shop ride at Sycamore Canyon. Having ridden the last 3 days in a row I wasn't sure how I would feel. Needn't have worried. Vince started out full throttle and I figured what the H. I have a helper at work. After the first segment he told me he just wanted to warm up quick as he was cold. It worked! We dropped into the park and hit Sin Nombre and Two Foxes. After that we decided to do the traditional loop in reverse. (Up Backbone and down the Guad.) After that it was down Wood Canyon, up Two Foxes and Sin Nombre and eventually back up Black Betty to finish. A lot faster pace than I'm used to but my legs held out. 20151129_083007-2.jpg 20151129_083153-1.jpg Screenshot_2015-11-29-11-01-49-1.png

26. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Pick one, got a few
    I've had several great rides this week and today was no different. Today's was all about quality and not quantity. It's been a couple weeks since I rolled with the family and they let me know about it. Weather was terrific and I wish I could ride more today but I've been putting put off all my chores so today is the day. Also digging the new properly fitting imtbtrails club fit jersey. Those 3 pockets in back come in handy. Now off to drink beer and hang Christmas lights...
    IMG_3209.jpg

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Late start and limited time today (pedals turning at 9am and I needed to be home by 11:15) - but at least I got out! Two climbs (Cholla x2), two descents (Lynx, Rock-It), and a bit of extra credit. Too much fun!

I made it home with 15 mins. to spare and my wife (who wasn't ready to go) says, "You don't have to go - I know you have a lot of schoolwork to do, and you just saw them Thursday." Being the sensitive guy I am, and a veteran of 26 years of marriage, I ask "are you sure?" (while I'm thinking, "I wish I would have known this 30 minutes ago, I could've been riding some more!") She says, "yeah, but don't spend all of that time on your bike forums..."

See ya later tonight after my work is done!

Bikes are fun!

Oh - and today made it 4 rides in November - about 8000 total vft climbed. What a beast! (And 3 surfs).

28. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    I finally got down to explore the San Clemente Single tracks this morning. It was pretty chilly at our 7:00 am start, but it warmed up nicely once we started riding. Not a very large area, but some fun single track climbs and descents. Perfect spot for the Stache. I'd go back again and do some more exploring. Lots of wooden bridge crossings that were pretty cool. Didn't see another bike on the trail all morning. I guess 7:00 am and 48 degrees aren't preferable conditions to the riders there. lol

SCST Strava.JPG

A few pics from the ride:

IMG_1316-M.jpg

IMG_1314-M.jpg

IMG_1322-M.jpg

29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Had to take the kid to her equestrian lesson today, so I went out for a spin on the road bike. Still don't have the mtb back yet. :(

upload_2015-11-29_15-56-35.png

30. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '15 Giant reign advanced 1
    Thank you Rox !! ;)

ridinrox likes this.