I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I also saw Mr. Douche in the H-1. He was stupid.

I rode Harding and then up to the peak to celebrate my 58th trip around our insignificant little star. :thumbsup: Ran into @Faust29 and the Professor and @BonsaiNut. Good to see you guys out there.

28 miles / 5,000 ft. Fun day.
    20191116_103325.jpg

2. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    oaks in the early afternoon. Not crowded, lots of riders exiting but few up the hill. The inversion layer was sitting right at the ridge line, so Irvine park was coolish but the ridge was toasty.

nothing but human powered vehicles today.

While stopped at the top of Deer, a hiker tried to pitch a real estate deal. A few months ago I had a dude pitch me insurance in the same spot. I’m going to make a point to hydrate on my way up Coachwhip from now on.

3. Cisco Roots

Cisco Roots Well-Known Member

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    What up IMTB?! Checking in w y’all....Still riding my bike but getting into rainy, wet, and dark season so gettin it in when I can. Here are some random pics from the last couple weeks.

C839122A-2BEF-4C9B-9D01-721B68E6D8A3.jpeg

4E115EC7-3986-426A-9026-A9D8C1EA34BD.jpeg

DEF7D034-9272-4159-8599-709B085A7E37.jpeg

3A064691-5B2B-4887-B3D5-22E94FE8921A.jpeg

C033558F-F2C5-4611-BD11-ED6DB21EF224.jpeg

A911D9EC-CC11-4559-9FD5-279C76D62F40.jpeg

CBone, Cornholio, pperrelle and 20 others like this.
  4. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    How does that affect maintenance and wear and tear on your bike?

Sassyquatch, Mikie, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Picture slot machine...

I laughed, but I wonder now that it's been a few years on the Hightower, do you still feel this way? Definitely a lot more switches and doo-dads to pay attention to on a full sus with dropper post than a singlespeed. Gears, dropper post, climb switches and brakes - it can feel like those photos at times. Hit the bottom of the Luge at mach chicken then straight into a stout climb - raise seat, downshift furiously and maybe stiffen the rear suspension...

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    If I had to pick between the two bikes in the garage, I know which one would get the boot.

Mikie, UPSed, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  7. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    It has a significant affect. BB’s wear out, bearings, chain, and it’s hard to clean after every ride. Most people transition to hard tails come this time of the year and once the big mountains get snowed in. @rossage would fit right in!!

8. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Do it Cisco!

9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I've been debating which bike to take for something coming up :whistling:... I think you just nudged me towards the single speed. :thumbsup:

10. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    On today’s ride I brought my running partner Wyatt, just for the climbing portion. We stayed on the FR mostly, hit a little ST, but I have to be careful with him as he’ll push so hard he throws up. Once at the top (about 10 mi) my hubby who was out collecting firewood, put Wyatt in the truck so I could send the DH....perfection:thumbsup:
    A most excellent day on the bike :inlove:

681A5893-ED76-4673-880F-572C0EAEAF72.jpeg

5CDE62D6-9B31-419B-9BA3-A2FB9C21021C.jpeg

C1EB1F9F-4468-416D-A0C5-37751581A2C9.jpeg

11. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Sounds like a top notch day. Good stuff!

pperrelle, mtnbikej, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sunny and a bit warm out there today. See?
    ToW Selfie 11-17-19.JPG

I rode with my friend Todd with whom I haven't ridden for quite some time. He hasn't been riding much and has been battling some medical issues. Great to see him out again (on his new Pivot Mach 5.5 - anniversary edition). Side note, Todd has had at least ten bikes in the five years I've known him. Mojo HD, Carbine, Speshy something, Yeti SB5, Pivot Switchblade, Pivot Mach 6 and a few others I can't recall. He says he thinks this might be his favorite (which was his SB5). I'll give him credit for one thing, he is not in love with a bike just because he bought it. Anyway, I digress.

I arrived at Canyon Vistas at 8:30 and truly everyone who owns a mt bike in OC must have been there too. I've rarely seen it that crowded. We went up the residential streets to the top of Cholla (we call it Cheater Cholla), then took off down Rock-It. Fun run, no disruptions to the flow. The Roasted Chicken roasted the run.

Then it was down Coyote to begin the arduous climb up Mathis. Coyote is a hoot that direction (S). It was getting hot already. At the top of the first Mathis climb, the steepest, I realized I still had a lower gear remaining. How did that happen? I always go as slow as my bike allows. That's the second time in two days I've had a gear remaining after a notoriously steep climb (Phillips Rd. yesterday). Hmmm. Good to know.

At the overlook atop Mathis, Todd said he had had enough for the day and we parted company. I continued up to Top of the World, took selfie, and a photo of my bike and headed over to Meadows. I had a great run on Meadows, with no interruptions. The Luftkappe really helps the suspension on a trail like that, and the Firebird likes to corner hard. I did not expect that, and it defies logic.

On the pedal back towards the top end of the park, my rear brake was dragging badly so bad it started howling. On flat ground. Not being used. I eventually had to flip the bike over (I know - The Rules) remove the rear wheel, take out the brake pads, use a tire lever to push the pistons back in and try again. Good enough to get up Cholla for a run down Lynx (uninterrupted). But once I used the rear brake again, it returned to a nearly "stuck on" position. Fun run on Lynx, but dragged my brake all the way back to the car. I would have taken the rotor off, but mine are centerlock, and I don't have the required tool.

Frustrated, I dropped the bike at The Path. They offered a loaner and said they would have it ready by tomorrow. Pretty sure I should upgrade to XT.

Anyway - 14 miles, 2200' at 87° For how crowded it was, I had no issues on any of the downs.

Bikes are fun, but bikes with dragging brakes are less fun!

Gratuitous bike shot:
    Pivot ToW 11-17-19.JPG

13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Stealing @Mikie s firewood?

CBone, pperrelle, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's a good hubby right there! :thumbsup:

CBone, pperrelle, Sassyquatch and 4 others like this.
  15. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Maybe;)
    But wer’e legal since I picked up a permit @Mikie :p

CBone, pperrelle, Sassyquatch and 3 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    You got that right my friend! :thumbsup::)

Stkx66, CBone, pperrelle and 4 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have a big ride coming up so I figured I should get some miles in over the next few weekends. I invited my buddy Tony to join me today cuz I know he likes these kinds of rides.
    A friend of mine rode New Millennium yesterday and told me it was all clear now so that would be our destination. The mustard weed had made NM all but impassable but thankfully Curtis Keene and friends spent the last several weeks clearing the trail. Yes, that Curtis Keene. He was on a prototype Specialized. I'm guessing the next generation Epic Evo. The short travel bike didn't stop him from doing a 6' drop to flat when he took off on the second set of switchbacks.
    The trail is in great shape and this is the first time Tony has ridden it. He loved it. We kept a moderate pace but had a little too much downtime. After 2-3 long breaks it's hard for me to get going again. Looking forward to going back. Now where can I get some miles in next weekend?

20191117_144923.jpg IMG_20191117_144236_580.jpg

Fueledbyex8, Stkx66, Redman and 17 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What - you couldn't find another 33' to climb?

Nice work. Your numbers are similar to what I achieve.... :whistling:

...in a month. :facepalm:

19. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    This is extra bitter and extra sweet to see. I've got to get more networky with locals so I know when clearing is happening, and can join in. Had I known this was happening, and was a part of it, my status would probably be very different right now. I almost even stopped by Bark Park on the way to the Cheese on the day I crashed to see if clearing had been done that I wasn't aware of. Spilt milk and sh!t. Good to see that you got to enjoy it though. Hopefully it doesn't get so overtaken this season.

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    The lass and I did a nice tour of the NW Tahoe Rim area. 4.5 hours worth of ups and downs on forested ST and 2-track in ideal weather. A couple of incredible vistas along the TRT.

From the Truckee River, up Western States Trail and Walternate to Tahoe Rim Trail Painted Rock section. TRT to dirt Mount Watson Boulevard. A bonus new dirt run down OTB Trail. Then uphill on FR 06 to the top of Upper Deer Creek Trail, the far point of our ride.

We never found any double black on Upper DC, but just some sandy ruts that rode about as hard as Cadillac covered with sandy gravel to slow you down. We both cleaned it, shrugged it off and worked our way back to Western States for the fun romp down.

NWRim1.jpg

NWRim2.jpg

NWRim3.jpg

NWRim4.jpg

NWRim5.jpg

Some haze in the air from a control burn down in Tahoe City blurred the lake view.

About that jersey the weez sports: My dad bought it in 1974 and gave it to me a year later. Being 100% wool, when it accidentally made it into the dryer, it came out too small for me. But not for the weez. The classic lives on...

21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    I like that pic with the Mrs and her cool new jersey
    :thumbsup:

pperrelle, rossage, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  22. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Thanks Matt, it was sweet!

Sassyquatch, mike and Mikie like this.
  23. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    They actually finished it just last week Matt. Fortunately we only have bad mustard years when we get constant rain like we did earlier this year. The trail should be good to go for a couple of years.

pperrelle, Sassyquatch, mike and 5 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I really enjoyed the Western States trail down from Painted Rocks.

Great photos, and love the story of the sweater! :thumbsup:

25. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Not used to having 12 spd. You know how your legs should feel at a given spot on the trail, so you get there regardless of the gearing. Plus once you get those 29ers rolling, they do keep going....even up.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I figured my 2nd gear must be 46t, since that's what I am accustomed to (30 x 46 on my 27.5). Nope. It's 42. That makes me happy! I really had no issues using that gear for most of Mathis today, and all of Phillips yesterday. Yay me? :unsure: :thumbsup: I realize these climbs are like tiny undulations in the path for some of you, but they're pretty challenging for me.

DangerDirtyD, mike, Walleye and 10 others like this.
  27. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Phillips Rd.......sucks.

28. Cisco Roots

Name:
    Cisco
    Current Bike:
    YT Jeffsy 29
    Glad to be of assistance! Some PNW dirt for you in the near future?

DangerDirtyD, mike, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  29. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    Some short sweet runs to Oakmont were had on Friday and Saturday AMs.

Snuck out early for with Godzilla for my go to Explo (1:20) and Skypark (40 with Arrow, Jumpline, Sleigh Ride/Playground, Jumpline again). Times of fun were had....

DangerDirtyD, mike, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Something a little closer, but twice as crazy. Will report back later in the week upon successful completion. :whistling:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?