I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    We resorted to motor assistance. Drive up to Martis Peak via Martis Peak Rd and ride down Tahoe Rim to Brockway Summit, including a vista spur out-back, then pick up a powernline road that kept us off the highway back to Martis P Rd.

Warm conditions after 9am. Many hikers near Brockway per normal.

Some of the best bike-able Rim Trail, fast sight lines with random obstacles. Classic Tahoe goods. The weez was riding well, more than ever in love with the 29er platform and her Pistola.

We ground up the paved one-lane road to the truck and took a short break before casting off again for an off-menu favorite.

19725489-D506-4F98-830F-A9C18DEE4AB3.jpeg

At the end of the ST, at a forest road, we parted ways so she could enjoy 8 miles of downhill back to basecamp. I went back up for the truck.

The lass has not been riding often, so I gave her some assistance, and we ended having a ripping day of riding choice ST. Seeing your best bud nailing everything and enjoying it...I’ll say it again: doesn’t get better than that.

Happy weekend, bottoms up from Truckee.

2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Out and back on Harding TT. Done in less time than it took to type this post :)

18.4 miles, 3360 feet.

3. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Cruiser bike ride to Momma's for breakfast. Single speeding those 6% grades was no joke. :whistling:

20191110_123541.jpg IMG_20191110_124446_936.jpg

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    Yup, I did it again. Same ride as yesterday. It wasn't really my plan, but that's what my buddy Kevin weaved together for us.

We started at about 8:00 am with soggy, cool air. It quickly cleared up and was sunny and warm, but not hot, for 90% of the ride. Crowd factor was a little strange. It got busier after 10:00 am. No large groups, but lots of hikers and bikes all over the place. Forced us both to hit some interesting lines on Rock-It, but the other downs were fairly uninterrupted.

First ride on the 175 cranks on the Roasted Chicken. Much better for me. More familiar, and a little easier. I set all kinds of PRs climbing. OK, no I didn't.

Halfway through the ride, it felt like the fork broke in a little. It was suddenly more supple on the top part of the travel. :thumbsup: It was the 5th ride on the bike - all 4 previous rides have been in significant to serious chunk and pretty substantial braking bumps, so I'm definitely making the suspension earn its pay. maybe that was enough to break it in.

The front brake was howling a little at the bottom of Rock It and the first few turns of Meadows - then it stopped. I had the same experience yesterday, in the same places. Interesting. :gotnothing: (4-piston Shimanos with XTR rotor).

All in all, the bike was great. Trails were in good shape (well, 5 Oaks is a little hammered and dusty).

It was fun to ride with somebody, and Kevin is always great to ride with... 17/2700'

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Today was San Juan Trail with @Faust29 and The Professor.

7:00 am start...cool in the shade, but warmed up as soon as we got into the sun. Saw some shuttlers leaving the parking lot right before we rolled.

Casual pace up to Cocktail Rock. Didn't see any riders, but did pass a hiker.

Made the right turn and headed on down to Upper San Juan Trail. The Professor had never been up to Blue Jay, so that was the destination. Passed the shuttlers 1/2 way down to the creek from CR. No other traffic until we go to Viejo Tie....more shuttlers....one on an ebike. Makes no sense to me.

Made it up to Blue Jay, refilled our bottles. Cold water was a plus as it was kinda toasty.

Turned around and headed back down. Upper trail is a bit overgrown in some spots. Still a fun up and down. Really enjoy the climb up to Cocktail Rock....techy and difficult.

From Cocktail Rock down, we only saw 1 rider, otherwise it was a fast fun run down.

I think @Faust29 is finally getting comfortable with SJT, as his speed on the DH is getting quicker.

Awesome day on the mtn.

22.5 / 4275'

Tom the Bomb, mike, ~JB~ and 17 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I rode yesterday, but it was only a 10 miler from Ridge Park... Lizards, Old Emerald, and Fenceline. The OTH volunteer get together was a lot of fun- tacos, swag, bikes, etc... :inlove: I tried a couple different beers from Docent for the first time. I may have to take my growler down there... :thumbsup:

IMG_0260.jpeg

As I was actually winning at the slot machine last night, the boys were arguing via text about what time to start San Juan. 6:30? Yeah... That sounds great! Until the alarm went off after 4 hours of sleep. :confused: But I did walk away a few hundred dollars richer. That doesn't usually happen...
    59504207346__2F261D8B-AD1C-406D-BFEC-DA6D02B547AA.fullsizerender.jpeg

We've been riding San Juan a lot lately, but we usually stop at Cocktail Rock. That's a decent ride at night... Today, however, the goal was Bluejay campground- another 5 miles past Cocktail. I haven't been on that section since the last time we did a big loop from RSM. (Strava Digging shows the last time was Harding to San Juan on 11/11/2017) With the mountain closed due to the Holy Fire, it's going to be some time before that's possible again. :( The upper section is so much chunkier than the lower section that it's almost like two different trails. It's a riot...

Looking back I realize I didn't take any photos on the chunkier stuff above Cocktail Rock... Take my word for it. It was awesome. :p

IMG_0267.jpeg

Posing...
    IMG_0269.jpeg

Our 23 mile ride doesn't seem so impressive anymore... :confused:
    IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0281.jpeg

Blue Jay and the water did not disappoint...
    IMG_0284.jpeg

About 23 miles and 4300 feet...

Stkx66, Tom the Bomb, ~JB~ and 20 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I hit some new dirt today.

I got up this morning not really feeling like getting on the bike, even though I'd planned to go since the wife had a get together with friends and report cards to finish. I finally got going and hopped in the car; figured I'd go up the 2 out of La Cañada-Flintridge since I haven't been up there in over 40 years. Was thinking I'd ride around the Chilao area, but I saw a parking area with a guy getting ready to load up his bike so I pulled in and asked where the Grizzly Flat Trailhead led to. He said Mt Lukens. Well, I've heard of that so I figured why not.

Got moving up the fire road. It's purty steep. Like, Harding's first mile steep. Made a wrong turn and wound up at a dead end, so I backtracked and headed up some more. And then up some more,

The white guys must have been out...
    20191110_102133.jpg

Then it was up some more. There was even a couple miles of cool singletrack. Surprising amount of shade on this route for mid-day. Comfortable temps almost the whole time. Kinda looks like fall.
    20191110_113130.jpg

This was a fun ride. Don't know that I'll do this particular one again. Fun, but short and a long way from the house.
    upload_2019-11-10_15-24-39.png

Stkx66, Tom the Bomb, ~JB~ and 17 others like this.
  8. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion Well-Known Member

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Did anyone else notice that we're at 666 pages on this thread?

I rode strawberry peak with @Fueledbyex8 and some other buds. Everyone was pinning-it until I hit a really easy rock section on the Gab and otb'd to destroy my bash guard. I hung back after that...

[​IMG]

Stkx66, Tom the Bomb, mike and 9 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh Hell...

10. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I noticed that, but since I saw no slavering beasts today I was gonna let it lie....

11. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Good going. Looks like you turned onto Hoyt Mountain when you made that wrong turn And that's not a dead end, it's a terrifying HAB over crumbling granite to what is actually a fun DH ST into Clear Creek. Anyway, I am planning to do the Mt Lukens climb soon (from the fire station). Nice that you got out into my backyard. Let me know ahead of time next time please so that I can try to join you.

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Had I known where I was going I'd have shouted out...but it was one of those "spur of the moment and I have no idea where I am [I know I'm in the Gabes] rides."

I did always know where I was in relation to the car. I didn't want to have to ride back up Hwy 2 so I just kept heading for Mt Lukens and made it an out and back.

13. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Still easing my way back from a pinchi nerve injury. Took the SS for a leisurely cruise up/down Skyline in Corona. Hung out and enjoyed some views more so than usual. Then did some exploring in Tin Mine and Hagador Canyons below. Always wanted to check out these out and back trails. They're better as a hiking trail. Many times off the bike as the trail get more narrow and technical all under a canopy of trees. 18/3000 Good time!

tincyn.jpg

Stkx66, Tom the Bomb, ~JB~ and 13 others like this.
  14. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  15. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Ride time is hard to come by lately. We both work full time, my wife is in grad school, and a very active two year old at home. I've never been a morning person. I've always preferred to do my physical activity in the evening. Time to change that I guess.
    Set the alarm, shoved a bowl of cereal down my gullet and left at the first sign of light.
    Back in the driveway by 8:30.

IMG_20191111_063542.jpg

16. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    A few days late but Saturday I did the Cave Creek Cactus Classic or C4 for short. Lots of singlespeeders out here and lots of really fast guys. I was not expecting much just did not want to be DFL. Course is 23 miles and a little better than 2000 feet of climbing. The stats aren’t crazy but it still packs a punch with all the rocks. Finished 19 out of 24 in the singlespeed open division, not great. Awesome turnout and great community support out here, I’ll be back next year to improve that position.

0698DF98-BC7B-4A1E-925B-0A62B8F3BC8B.jpeg

F2A6477F-0AE0-4103-B270-68FCAD95572A.jpeg 0698DF98-BC7B-4A1E-925B-0A62B8F3BC8B.jpeg F2A6477F-0AE0-4103-B270-68FCAD95572A.jpeg

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Whiting-STT-Luge-Whiting with @Runs with Scissors this morning. So much fun.

Nothing remarkable about the first part of the ride through Borrego, Cattle Pond and Mustard. The only thing I noticed was I didn't really notice the climbs that much. I didn't go very fast, but I wasn't in my easiest gear except for a short portion of Mustard and a short section of STT.

But when I started down STT towards the Luge flag, I started thinking "hmmmm, I don't remember this section being so easy." The Firebird seemed to track the turns noticeably better than my perfectly-set-up Tracer. I did not expect that.

After replacing the flag (see Luge Flag thread), it was time for a run down The Luge. Evidently, IMTBers have a love it or hate it relationship with The Luge. I've always loved it - the rougher the better. Currently, there are many, many 1-2' drops, easy kickers and solid berms. The dirt is hard packed to almost bike park standards, but without the braking bumps. It's fast and filled with natural features and contours.

That said, I wasn't sure what to expect with the Firebird. I have been fairly underwhelmed with it so far, but have noticed two things - it pedals well and it seems limitless in its DH potential, once the suspension is dialed. I mentioned yesterday that it felt like the fork suddenly broke in, and that feeling continued today.

All I can say about today's run is "HOLY HELL!" The speed was ridiculous, but the cornering was mind bending. I've gone fast down the Luge before, especially chasing @mtnbikej on his fluffy bike, or my friend Kevin on his Mach 5.5. But I have never gone this fast without feeling like I was on the verge of losing control. Until today. HOLY HELL!!! This is going to be dangerous.

Bike in repose after eating up The Luge:
    Firebird after Luge 11-11-19.JPG

After the euphoria of my Luge run, our sprint through Whiting was just icing on the cake. I was stoked on @Runs with Scissors's stoke. We agreed that no matter your mt. biking preferences - long climbs, steep chunky descents, hardtails, full sus, etc - the romp through Whiting is absolutely grin inducing. If you don't like this, you don't like mt. biking. For those who don't know, the combination of Cactus, Sage Scrub, Serrano Cow Trail and Live Oak is a leftsy-rightsy, slightly downhill grade under canopy with dips, grade reversals, bermed turns and whatnot that you can just hammer.

Great morning out there! Thanks Mark for enjoying it with me. You are good company! :thumbsup:

16 miles. 2400'

konakc, Redman, Stkx66 and 20 others like this.
  18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Gosh, the guy gets a new bike and all of a sudden he's a riding fool! :cool::D

19. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Maybe we should all get new bikes :inlove:;) @herzalot I feel your stoke Herzy, it’s contagious!

20. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    3727B0DA-5CE6-454A-A9EC-2DBFF2F20E60.jpeg 35442CFC-94AF-417B-BAEF-9859B6A06CF7.jpeg Today’s ride was my heaven on earth:inlove:. The weather was perfect, clear, crisp and beautiful, and there wasn’t a soul out there! As for performance...meh, I fell quite a bit, you know those stupid crashes where your like “wtf?”:Roflmao BUT I enjoyed every second, can’t really explain it...like maybe God was smiling down on me.
    Mountain biking is freaking awesome:thumbsup:
    120C6A66-B3F8-4CB3-9902-350A303F0634.jpeg

Redman, Fueledbyex8, Stkx66 and 11 others like this.
  21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Be careful when you are alone out there darling.

22. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Always! thanks Ssnakes :inlove:

Stkx66, mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  23. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Fell? Like a tip over or a crash?

24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Sar, I’ll ask of you the same thing I do of the weez (or myself). Please spend the $300 for a PLB, and ride with it on your person when solo. :)

One good injury and a cold night can kill a person. A ride can go sideways quickly with your main safety net (a partner) absent. Ask @Mikie. He might be dead if dumb luck didn’t allow him to make a phone call in an otherwise reception-free area. While he waited in the cold and fading light for people to unclip him from his bike and take him to the ER.

Stkx66, Walleye, mtnbikej and 10 others like this.
  25. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Lol, no, not the tip over kind..these were moving crashes. Nothing big, stupid little mistakes and front tire washouts:whistling:

26. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Mike! This will be done! I’ll ask for one for Christmas and my better half will gladly comply. Thanks for the reminder. This truth hit home this past weekend when Brent and I were collecting firewood in the ANF(with a permit:thumbsup:). I pointed out a memorial plaque that was dedicated to a young mom who died of hypothermia, she had gotten lost while hiking back to her vehicle.:(
    Any particular recommendations?

27. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    What @herzalot said, except that I had to wake him up from his nap when I got to the bottom of the Luge. :Roflmao

I do not care for the Luge for the same reasons Chris loves it. I'm on a hardtail and it beats you to death. The Whiting portion, however - yeah, if you don't like that you shouldn't be on a mountain bike. Fast, flowy, just enough unexpected scree and sand to keep you on your toes, shaded almost the whole way, ripping fun. I love that stuff. :inlove::thumbsup::x3::p:cool:

After reviewing the Strava I can now put a date to the last time I rode the Luge - August 25, 2013. It may be more than 6 years before I ride it again. :whistling:

Thanks again Chris for a great morning on the bike.:thumbsup:

Redman, Voodoo Tom, pperrelle and 9 others like this.
  28. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Sounds like you need a new person to chase down the luge.

(With heavy NY accent) I knows a guy. Maybe we needs to make an intruhduction. :cautious:

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I'm so happy you recognize the utility of a beacon! And that you are going to pony up. :thumbsup:

We both bought ours sometime ago, and I’m not really up on whats out there, but I would avoid ACR brand beacons because of the proprietary battery. Marine supply stores are a good source.

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh God - not TB? He would destroy me (and everyone else) if he were riding Huffy. Not a Niner. An actual Huffy.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?