I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Does anyone know what this actually is? A google search of all the common sense terms turns up nothing. Not a single google image using a search of obvious terms. Weird.

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  2. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Those are boulders. Also known as rocks. :whistling:

herzalot, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 6 others like this.
  3. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Placed there by aliens? Or by us to summon aliens? Only two things I can think of.

herzalot, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 7 others like this.
  4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    California Stonehenge?

herzalot, Mikie, Sassyquatch and 4 others like this.
  5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    ...because I didn’t yesterday or the day before and I gained 5 pounds. Today‘s mission was to seek climbing opportunities with the squiggle bug. Up and up and up again. No dabs, and I feel good. T-minus 11.5 days until practice is over.
    Also, I’m down to one KRBC bomber in the fridge, just in time for Pumpkin Ale to be released!

6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    They were placed by someone to drive folks like you bonkers.
    Is it working?

Or perhaps that's where the aliens will land to pick up those that want to transport to their world.
    Where the humans will be a protein source and/or harvested for their energy ( matrix like)

You pick.

Mikie, Sassyquatch, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    It's a cookbook!!!

Mikie, Danimal, Grego and 4 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    San Juan up and down with the Professor and @mtnbikej . A little warm at the beginning, but the sun dropped before the top, and it cooled off nicely. Someone was counting the dabs behind him, but I'm pretty sure there were dabs and slips all the way around. :cautious: There might even be photographic evidence. :whistling: We went a little past Cocktail Rock on San Juan, which was new dirt for the Professor. It seemed a little overgrown, but not bad. That's a really fun section, with some short chunky ups and downs... It was nice to see some of it again.

Fun ride down... I left a little blood on one of the Death Star trenches. I didn't see it until the last second and slipped trying to get up on top. Scraped up the leg a little bit, and my ass feels like hamburger. No biggie... :p :oops:

About 1/3 mile from the bottom, I burped the front tire, and rode the last 5 or 6 switchbacks with only a few pounds in it. Too close to the bottom to stop, so I finished in limp mode.

Crazy fun night...

14/3100

IMG_2714.jpeg

Cisco Roots, Redman, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    That's OK. I'm told it happens to everyone. :oops:

We still love you.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Nice one, San Juan riders (and soil samplers, good save). :thumbsup::D

The last 7 miles or so are okay in limp mode; ask how I know...

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    San Juan Trail late yesterday with @Faust29 and the Professor. Social pace on the way up. It was warm at the start, tolerable.
    Yep, I was counting dabs on the way up. One of us only made it a turn or 2 before getting it out of the way. Another made it up a little ways past that. And one of us only dabbed into the hard switchbacks in the middle after someone threw their bike down.

Finally cleaned the rock garden just before Cocktail Rock.

We dragged lights up, it was only 5:45, and the Professor had never gone past CR on SJT. So one of us suggested a little extra credit. We got just past the 7 mile mark, but one of our GPS’s only showed 6.9 so we went a little further.

Climb back to Cocktail Rock is pretty rough right now. It’s also the first time in about 5-6 years that I rode the geared bike on it.

Fun descent down SJ in the dark. What excitement you lose with top speeds, you regain with seat of the pants...especially with only a bar light. I forget how fun this is to come down in the dark.

Good times.

Cisco Roots, Redman, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ok... I won't complain about the last few minutes in limp mode. Seven miles sounds like a real Santa Ana's story... :eek:

13. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Harding 18.6 miles 3,425 miles

Tuesday ride. After pulling into the Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary parking area and installing new break pads and a valve stem core up front, got rolling at 3:30 PM. It was hot, 85 - 90 degrees. First 3 1/2 miles were in full sun. Figured it would be like that so brought a good supply of ice water. When I started getting into shaded areas the bugs came out and the head net did too. Was taking easy in the heat. After Laurel Spring started to pick up the pace. The uppermost 2 miles have areas of sand with pebbles mixed in. Got a PR on that segment. Saw a hiker on the way up and a fox on the way down. Enjoyed watching the colorful sunset.

20191015_183522.jpg

Cisco Roots, Redman, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I'm calling you "PR Steve" from here on out... :thumbsup:

15. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Did a lap of some of my backyard stuff. Tried to recreate a loop I did under guidance a month ago, but lots of twists and turns meant a few missed turns. Some of which were stumbles, others lead to new off the record stuff. After a couple wrong turns I went more into exploration mode. It's really cool to see all this single track close by that significant work has gone into, though admittedly the novelty of it is greater than the quality of the trail itself. Still not a bad early lunch break on a Thursday. 10.74/1736.

5CEAC631-A189-480A-BEC8-622DE9D9893E.jpeg

05F66274-7196-44B0-9A1A-FA7C71121343.jpeg

16. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Double dipped. The rugrat got a new lid too. 5.3/58’.

BDBD60A0-B082-4BD5-9D43-16C2FED68676.jpeg

Cisco Roots, Redman, Mikie and 16 others like this.
  17. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Self-aggrandizement.

:Roflmao :Roflmao :Roflmao

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    That's how you get 'em hooked. :thumbsup: Ride partner until she decides she's too cool to hang with dad...

19. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Yup. I genuinely cherish these rides. I made a comment in the "balancing life..." thread that I was glad to have MTB as something that I do without my wife or daughter, but I might have to rethink that position. She and I had not done a ride that was just the two of us in a while - probably two months or so, and I was reminded how much I enjoy it. It's really where we have our best conversations. I think she appreciates that she has all of my attention. She's also pretty ADHD, and conversations with her tend to be all over the place, and a mile a minute. I think the additional focus and movement that she has to put into riding the bike allows her thoughts to slow down, and we just have a certain quality of conversation that we rarely have elsewhere. It's really special time.

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    I had my daughter riding Black Star with me several times when she was 14 or so. Now she's almost 21 and I miss those rides....

Yours is what, somewhere around 5 - 7 years old? She's not ADHD, she's normal. Everything is new at that age and needs to be confirmed. You're her source for confirmation. Enjoy it, and mess with her mind while you can.

I had mine convinced that I could control traffic signals for the longest time. :)

Redman, Mikie, buggravy and 8 others like this.
  21. buggravy

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    She’ll actually be 10 in January. I hear what you’re saying, and totally agree with the sentiment, but she’s legit ADHD (as is my wife). She’s not on meds or anything - I’m pretty opposed to that. Dance, and hopefully bikes, snowboards, etc., will be her meds.

22. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Thursday social with the dynamic single speed duo and the cantankerous professor...

Quite chilly out there... :thumbsup:

17/2200

F146B9DB-FBBA-4778-8C2F-A932610CF3F4.jpeg 807E2732-6C00-400B-A6A1-F02A8E28381E.jpeg

Cisco Roots, Mikie, Stkx66 and 13 others like this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Sunrise Sycamore Canyon Marauders (i.e., MarekThePolishPunisher). 9/1177. First time in Sycamore Canyon (Riverside) since the fire several months ago. The trails in the burn zone are great: demarcated by ash and wide open to flow. The trails in areas that have not burned are getting rather bushy: my Strava times are safe for a while.

24. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Top of Cow Saddle to the start of Devil's Backbone. No, I don't know why. Looking down on Cajon Pass, Phelan, Hesperia, etc.
    strava1304593911263761093.jpg

Cisco Roots, Redman, ~JB~ and 17 others like this.
  25. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Musta been a San Juan day yesterday. Fran and I were kicking around ride options and settle on new to him San Juan lollipop. Lots of loose tricky chit. We used to be able to haul the mail on the first half of the lollipop. No more, it has gotten very tight in there. We had fun attacking the techy stuff climbing back to cocktail rock. Fran was on it all day. Fun DH on the way back, talk about a kitty litter trail.
    Good times 18.46 mi. 3712 elev.
    Balls baby!
    Fran has some pics.

Redman, ~JB~, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  26. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Thanks for the tour TTB. Finally made it out to the often mentioned SJT. We joked about how that trail is real MTN biking:thumbsup:
    Oh by the way @Mikie , when I ran out of water, TTB gave me some of his Tailwind laced H20!!
    The trail was awesome, so much STT!!

MVIMG_20191017_113714.jpg

IMG_20191017_120652.jpg

IMG_20191017_132529.jpg

MVIMG_20191017_132532.jpg

Redman, ~JB~, konakc and 18 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    The ruts on SJT appear to have gotten wicked since I last rode there. Glad you had a great time!

28. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Yeah makes for some tough techy climbing

29. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    Busy few weeks in Squatchville...been out for a few close n short Oakmonts which is pretty decent for out the door riding...as Cyclotourist can attest!

Got out for some Greerish (nod to Carnival Row) delights this morning. Godzilla and me for 1:35 with the usual loop: overdrive-mouse-distortion-insidious-TMB ...gotta agree with TTB about mouse being the bees’ knees :thumbsup:

amazing how a little ride like that can change the outlook for a whole day...bikes are legit therapy :)

30. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

I got to get back out there...been waaaay too long! I’m sure that cocktail descent will be much more fun with an intact mandible this time :x3:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?