I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Seriously, I feel so blessed when I get to see big cats, and to have a lil’ guy just sit and watch me was even cooler!
    Thanks Mike:)

2. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It was kinda funny... In the morning it was really chilly. I saw 46 on the GPS screen, and there were people everywhere. All kinds of trail users- runners, hiking clubs, large groups of bikers, kids, etc... And everyone was friendly. When we were climbing out of Old Emerald later in the day, we noticed that we had the place to ourselves as the temp hit 97 briefly on the screen. Not a soul to be seen! Except us... :D :oops:

#WrightwoodTempSwingPractice

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    Oh yeah! Prepare to be dazzled...

I rode my bike today. 3 ups, 3 downs (5-O, R-I, Lynx). No crashes. My new bottom bracket was amazing (i.e. didn't notice anything).

Nearly 10 miles and almost 1500' :eek: :thumbsup:

I did spend a total of 30 minutes trying every trick I know to get my rear brakes to stop rubbing. I am generally a master at this task, but couldn't get it right today. So that either means my pads are shot or my frame is cracked. I'll go with the former.

72° sunny, light breeze. Hard to tolerate such conditions. :cautious:

That is all. Bikes are fun! :cool:

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Headed out with the intent of hitting the ski lifts at Baldy (from Cow Saddle) and maybe tacking on Top of the Notch. Totally forgot that it's a red flag day and GMR would be closed.

So I just rode up GMR and down MTT, instead. Fantabulous couple of hours on the Sutra.

It's really hard to remember not to chase the rabbits. :unsure:

strava1475670868305619072.jpg

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    As expected Jennifer woke up wanting to do a hike. Surprisingly she told me I could just do my own thing as she was going to her mom's for breakfast at 9:30 and then going to Costco.
    Being the giving husband that I am :whistling: I suggested I ride with her to the trailhead so I could maximize my ride time as I do most of my rides from home and maybe meet her at mama's for breakfast.
    It was the perfect plan. I started off kinda hard then backed it off until I warmed up. I decided to hit as many climbs as I could and leave myself enough time to get to breakfast.
    At one point I ran into Jennifer on her way back to the truck. I told her I'd do one more out and back then meet her at mama's. Of course after knocking out that segment I decided to throw in a little more. Not a lot of miles but plenty of elevation.
    Made it to mama's just in time for breakfast. 20191013_105244.jpg IMG_20191013_135920_018.jpg

Redman, Cornholio, Danmtchl and 13 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    I left the house with every intention of doing a quick luge loop. When I dropped into O'Neill, though, I really didn't feel like climbing Live Oak on cold legs. Going up Quail in the morning yesterday was brutal. I recovered, but the gaskets were really strained for a few minutes. :p :oops: So... I hung a left and went down the Arroyo towards Ladera Ranch. Then I got the bright idea to explore an old trail that used to be there. The key words are "used to be". Everything was going great... until it wasn't. :p Knee deep mud, poison oak, submerged rocks, overgrowth, and who knows what else. It's going to take a while to clean the Hightower after that... :thumbsup:

After I managed to climb out of the muck, I found my way back to the Arroyo Trail... Nothing exciting after that. Just a mellow spin to stretch the legs after yesterday. The good thing was that the rest of the water crossings weren't an issue. I just walked through them and enjoyed the cold feet. :D

This was the mellow part... It didn't last.
    IMG_2701.jpeg

And this is where I was when I got a text from @Cyclotourist saying he was in town... He should have brought a bike! :p
    59268526745__D5EAD82C-8F45-400C-9EA4-72F80BECE322.jpeg

I always swing by to see the turtles at the end...
    IMG_2706.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 2.09.49 PM.jpg

IMG_2704.jpeg

7. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Omg that bacon:inlove:

Danmtchl, mtnbikej, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '20 Pivot Firebird 29
    I can smell it through the screen (but I prefer mine a little crispier). :thumbsup:

Stkx66, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Turtles!!! :thumbsup:

Work in progress continues on La Pistola. Today the new shock got a proper test on Lloyd's Loop.

IMG_2859.jpg

Flat FR and uphill ST riding impressions were favorable. Small bumps gone, good traction, but maybe a bit more active than expected in the frame's Plush mode. We tried it in Crush mode, which firmed it up nicely.

We topped out and pointed the bikes down, the Pistola still in Crush. Good but maybe not the full coil magic on this torn-up moto-bike trail strewn with rocks. Back in Plush, she was happier. At the bottom for the cruise back, we gave it a couple of low-speed compression clicks and left it in Plush.

We'll play more with it, but right now I can say this was a great investment. Improved performance up and down. And the flats are more comfortable. Unreal climbing traction, if a tad more energy needed to keep in the groove. The 130 Solo-air fork in this setup is as good as you would expect, but the 150 Pike Ultimate will take it to a new level.

So far so great, she loves the new gear. The vindication feels awesome, but mostly just glad the lass has a bike she likes ripping on. :thumbsup::geek::inlove:

10. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Greer for fun with Pro-leisure Lily and John. 9.72 and 1278. Jumping mouse is so funnnnnn!

11. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    Ended up having a smallish window to ride this afternoon. For whatever reason, maybe inertia, I just wanted mellow (actual mellow, not OC singlespeed mellow), and wanted to explore a little, so I set off to Las Virgenes Open Space to just pedal around. Lots of unmarked single tracks that I'd never ridden with a heaping helping of steep, but nothing technical. Went over to the Ahmanson Ranch side that I'd never been to before, and found the site below which I never knew existed (and still don't know what it is or why it's there). As I was about to leave I decided to climb England and come down Ireland. I had not done that climb up England since my second ride after getting back in the game in February. I distinctly remember having to stop thrice, not just to catch my breath, but to lay my bike down, sit with my head in my hands, and try not to puke. While it is still a beeyotch of a climb, it was an uninterrupted and uneventful affair. That was good for perspective. For anyone thinking of hitting Ireland it's overgrown as all hell. Don't ride it unless you have arm protection, and if you do have arm protection still don't ride it because it pretty much sucks. I'll be happy when that one returns to glory, because I was flooded with memories today of bombing across that ridge being surrounded by green and views for days. Nifty little ride with nothing overly exciting, but there's just something fun about roaming around somewhat unfamiliar territory. Also, maybe due to fears of poor air quality (air was great with a S/SW breeze), it was a total ghost town out there. That didn't hurt either. 13.25, 1650.

F7342560-5412-4185-8A72-9C30882F17D4.jpeg

12. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    While attempting many of the historic and cultural activities in the RSM area, I did miss out on the lakeside turtle viewing!

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Full Moon tonight, so @horsebikerider and I headed out to Blackstar to take advantage of it. We rolled at 4:45 and it was pretty quiet out there.

Suz set the pace on the SS....I followed. She just plugged along. Only 1 stop near the top....I thought she was gonna get it....next time. :thumbsup:

We continued on to the Doplar Ball. We can't recall if this was the first time on the SS for her or not.

Well we got up there too early, the moon wasn't gonna rise for a while. It was on the chilly side with the breeze blowing, so we headed down.

Suz had a light, I didn't...but it wasn't a problem.

As we were loading up, the moon crested over the ridge.

Still a great night on the mountain.

This ride also put me over 500k' of ascent for the year. As Suz put it, "you better pick it up if you wanna get yer million feet this year". :facepalm:

3C2A57EB-122F-44A2-8A75-E8F1E9F1FE42.jpeg A55307F0-8A08-454C-8ED5-D1D2E6CCA38B.jpeg

Redman, Cornholio, mike and 11 others like this.
  14. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Have not ridden in two weeks. First week because I didn't have the opportunity. Second week due to too much heavy lifting at work finally caught up with me Pinched a nerve. Ouch! F...! Sharp pains... I'm still nowhere near 100% but Vince wanted to ride Greer so off we went. We arrived, Vince bolted out to the trails. Later dude! Took me some time to get ready. Could barely get on the bike. Figured I'd just pedal the fire road a couple of times. Managed the FR until the end no problem. Chatted with a hiker there who said he's like to get into MTB. Bikes are expensive... Greer probably not the best place to learn. We witnessed a biker go down hard yelling in pain. His buddy was quick to tend to him. Shouted over to see if he needed help but it looked like he got the situation under control. Be careful, are you sure you want to get into MTB? After departing with the hiker I felt good enough to climb up the ST to the first view point. I don't really know the names of the trails. Saw Vince bombing down across the way. I carefully took the first ST down and back out. Luckily no one saw me walk a chunky section I'd normally blast through, I do have a reputation to uphold you know. Climbed the FR one more time then rolled back down to the truck. That's enough for me, just happy to pedal. Surprisingly I felt much better physically. Back at the truck I receive a text from Vince. He flatted and crashed, or, crashed and flatted. Now doing the walk of shame. Nothing serious thankfully. I think his rear rim is now toast though. Fun day on the bikes.

Redman, Cornholio, konakc and 15 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Cycling is therapeutic. Your muscles warm up and then things tend to loosen up a bit. Glad to hear that you found some degree of relief.

16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    You got called out, Slacker! :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It sounds like you're on the road back... :thumbsup:

And Vince destroyed a wheel? I have a hard time believing that one... :Roflmao

18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao I think Vince needs a wheel sponsor.

19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    That first pic is :thumbsup::thumbsup:

20. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    I took a couple of good pics too. I'm just too lazy to download them to the computer :whistling:

herzalot, Grego, mike and 4 others like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    6E9D56DC-312F-4061-A8F3-CD0AA0BE5B7E.jpeg 1204AF2D-4FAF-40CE-9B4E-509450751B15.jpeg

herzalot, Stkx66, Grego and 11 others like this.
  22. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    Met my buddy at Cook’s this morning for a STT/Old Camp/Luge ride. We were the only ones in the parking lot, and only saw a few hikers the whole ride.

Original plan was to start and finish through Whiting but he was playing hooky from work for the morning and had to be done by 11am-ish. I’m actually glad we didn’t add Whiting, or at least my legs are.

Such a beautiful morning out there, very peaceful. I was able to take it all in with how slow I was climbing. :coffee::D

D1923F31-AA29-422E-B862-D4CFA05017E7.jpeg

E8A7C999-DA95-48A1-8550-13166AD15749.jpeg

Shared a pitcher of beer at Cook’s after:
    D99D909C-1F42-4E8F-95B8-6346AE57C33B.jpeg

herzalot, Grego, Redman and 14 others like this.
  23. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    It was quite a spectacular morning! Glad you got out there to enjoy it. However, I do have to ask about the 2 beer mugs with the pitcher being that your buddy had to go to work..:whistling:

herzalot, mike, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  24. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Bort
    Current Bike:
    Like electrical current bike?
    He works from home and was checking emails while waiting for me on the climbs. My guess is that he isn’t doing much work today. :D

herzalot, mike, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  25. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    @Faust29. Did you pedal up Quail from the visitor center side? I cannot climb that hill. It's to steep for me. HAB-

26. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    It's a real kick in the teeth- especially with cold legs and one gear. By the top, I was pretty sure that I blew a gasket...

27. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Maybe work is Beer Tasting??? :Roflmao

28. horsebikerider

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Now, wouldn't that be the PERFECT job!? :giggle:

29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Could be. :cautious::cool: (Even if not listed as one's responsibility.) :geek: Of course cannabis tasting has to be included. And zero commuting. :thumbsup: I know @Cornholio's hip... to zero commuting. :sneaky:

30. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    @Faust29 lol!:confused: calling 28 miles a recovery spin. That kind of distance is what us motals dream about for an epic ride..... recovery spin......pfffft!o_O

herzalot, Faust29, CBone and 3 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?