I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    That trail is amazing. Wish it wasn't such a drive to get there!

2. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Fuel EX8
    Rode Turnbull Canyon today with my dad. The good news, they cleared up most of the overgrown brush on 7th Street that made it no fun to ride there. The bad news: it's very loose as they didn't pack down the trail at all. I talked to a rider today and he said that it's better than it was two weeks ago, so that was encouraging. We had a good time.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Instant Classic!!!

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I rode Fri, Sat, & Sun this weekend. Had to keep it close to home with others things going in. Friday was Cherry Canyon with the usual 9ish miles and 1100ish feet. Saturday was Verdugo Mtn via Hostetter and East along the motorway to a nasty ST that I reluctantly descend once every three or four years for a total of 12ish miles and not sure about the elevation gain. This afternoon was Verdugo Mtn again but this time via Beaudry North then West on the motorway and down Whiting Woods. Todays was 9.07 miles, 1917' and 970 calories. Saw about a dozen fresh snake tracks but no snakes. I did see a female bobcat though.

Some pics from this afternoon...

This is the brutal Beaudry North fire road climb. In 1.93 miles, it gains 1093'.
    79EFC530-AAFE-44FF-8F4F-E87F2BE5B2AD.jpeg

Where the Verdugos end and the San Gabes continue.
    80E1961F-0BD1-46A6-8056-6DD33BE74080.jpeg

About to drop in on the Whiting Woods DH.
    E15A49FD-F198-48C4-860B-6BAF68AE289F.jpeg

5. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    I rode my bike twice this week. :eek:

Finally got up to ride Skyline in Big Bear yesterday with my buddy. Neither of us have ridden it so I put a route in my Wahoo and led the way. Started at SS, up Fern to Skyline, went past Pine Knot on Skyline for a tiny bit but we decided to turn around and head down PK to get some lunch a beers before going back to the car.

15.9mi 2,224ft

Perfect temps and a fun day on the bike.

Rattler
    9241ACA7-C9BC-4B7C-8719-25C9C81F94F9.jpeg

Chatted with a guy who was dropping into Seven Oaks and he snapped a pic of us.
    4157D84C-5524-48D1-A20B-42CC4720CC7B.jpeg

674F6C00-A07A-4EC4-B7C3-30AD0535EC68.jpeg

herzalot, CBone, Walleye and 21 others like this.
  6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    After Saturday’s group social, I went out late Sunday for a solo spin.

Errands leave me over by the coast, so El Moro/LCWP have ended up being my destination.

Chose to mix it up a little bit.

From Ridge Park, took Bommer over to Old Emerald. Down, up and out. ML/FL back up to Ridge Park. Down No Dogs and Mach One. Left turn and up Slow ‘N Easy. This climb seemed so much shorter today. FL back to Lizard. Lizard, up Laurel and ML/FL back to Ridge Park.

Kind of just cruised today. Temps were much nicer. Too many Ebikes. Also saw a couple walking their dog out on Bommer...I guess the “no dogs” sign didn’t pertain to them.

Still a good ride.

18 / 2600’

918B5867-9D8E-4D8D-A4A7-AE5D1BA1F527.jpeg 4E0F1ECD-45F2-4341-85F1-FAE96A764364.jpeg

Mikie, herzalot, CBone and 17 others like this.
  7. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Climbed up to a local peak for sunset yesterday. Views were acceptable. Forgot my bike light so the descent got a bit spicy.

IMG_4465.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

Redman, Mikie, MolarM and 20 others like this.
  8. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Freakin' trail bandits, you three are! :laugh:

Mikie, buggravy, Tom the Bomb and 7 others like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Up Chumash, down Johnson, up Spahn Ranch and down Lower Stagecoach. Mellow pace. Lots of stops. Lots of fun. Jennifer says she had never been down Johnson and she loved it. It's more big rocks than chunky but it still beats you up. I told her wait until you have a dropper post. Looking forward to hitting some chunkier trails with her.

20190909_094310-3024x2268.jpg 20190909_104046-3024x2268.jpg 20190909_102421-3024x2268.jpg 20190909_095331-3024x2268.jpg IMG_20190909_180039_288.jpg

Redman, Mikie, MolarM and 20 others like this.
  11. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    I rode my bike today. Got up real early. The plan was to get an extra early start. Turned out that the Higher Powers had a better course of action to implement. Was having some delays, including when I started up my car to leave. The tire pressure warning light came on. That was a surprise. Had to go to a gas station and stick six quarters into the slot to air up my tires. Found myself driving up Silverado Canyon Road around 5:00 AM. Shortly after passing thru business section of Silverado, I started seeing lots of broken off tree branches on the road. About one mile later I encountered a Semi Tractor hauling two large Trailers and knocking off tree limbs all over the place. I was able to get around it and went up to the Maple Springs parking area at the gate. It was empty and I took the first space. I'm getting ready to start riding when that rig shows up. He tries to make a u turn around the big planter and tree, knocking a big branch off of the tree. To complete that maneuver the parking lot had to be totally empty. He was stuck in a position where he could not go forward or backward. My car was blocking him. Had I gotten there earlier it could have been a disaster. I moved my car to give him some space and he rolled out to go knock off some more limbs. Said he was " looking for the monastery at 29,000 and something Silverado Canyon Road." ????

With that out of the way I started pedaling at 5:30 Am. 49 degrees and feeling kinda chilly I went up Maple Spring to 4 Corners and then up to Modjeaka. When I got there it was still only 53 degrees. It was pebbles and powder most of the way. I've reached the goal of 185 on the scale (less 40 pounds ) so the ride seemed a lot easier than before except for the middle 1/3 of the way between 4 Corners and Modjeska where its all loose rocks. Just walked that part today.
    Started to heat up on the way back down but not too bad. Did not see anybody else until I got back to the parking where 2 other people were starting out.
    Had a great time, maybe I can stop fasting now.

20190909_070353 (1).jpg

20190909_085641.jpg

Redman, Mikie, herzalot and 16 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    My Bandido Brothers and I met for some leisure and fun on Tahoe North shore.

First up, some fast and raucous dirt and rock on a trail off Martis Peak that will totally make your day. Then Tahoe Rim to Big Chief.

My brothers killed the terrain up and down. Leisure and fun was accomplished, no photos taken by me. Conditions slightly dusty but good.

Redman, Mikie, herzalot and 15 others like this.
  13. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Unmasked
    IMG_20190909_135055_1.jpg

Mikie, herzalot, CBone and 17 others like this.
  14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    OK, it's the three musketeers! :D

Or is it the three amigos? :rolleyes:

Mikie, Faust29, Tom the Bomb and 5 others like this.
  15. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    Woohoo! First dirt since the BC trip/wrist injury this last Saturday...quick 1.5 hr smooth ride up to and around Oakmont Park and back. Wrist brace was worn and decent amount of one handed riding was done. No issues during or after!

Same thing done on Sunday with a little bit more engagement/“aggressiveness” and still good on the wrist!

Gradually working my way back to normal Squatchiness...5 weeks off the bike is weird. Other cardio ain’t nearly as fun!

Redman, Mikie, Danimal and 12 others like this.
  16. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Too much fun this weekend, so I needed a little solo single speed suffering...

Stealth Lizard:
    857363BB-750F-49A3-9AE6-61F247A11B61.jpeg

17. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Riding our bikes

1A96539E-295B-4E96-850B-A7085F4B57D2.jpeg

18. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Up top Martis fire lookout
    IMG_20190909_095834.jpg

IMG_20190909_100034.jpg

19. mtbMike

mtbMike Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo & Intense Primer
    Did you guys take multiple cars up or was there a shuttle service over that way?

Mikie and Danimal like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Mike, we did our own shuttle. (It even included a tour of downtown Truckee! :unsure:) Not sure what company drives up there; assume none do. There are not any popular published "rides" that start up there, kind of a crappy road, mostly just a good place to hop on TRT or off-menu stuff. There really is not one logical end to anything starting up there. Depends on what a rider likes and wants.

There are other ways to get to Big Chief. Going up Western States Trail from 89/River Rd is prolly the best/easiest. I've seen riders coming up BC but I don't reco it. It's a lot of work from Martis Peak, but we wanted some work.

Most or all the good P2P rides around the rim require uphill riding at elevation, and setting up shuttles often is a lot of time spent for little savings. Nature of the place.

Sassyquatch, buggravy, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Something a little different on this cool afternoon... I met @mtnbikej and @horsebikerider at Wahoos. Three riders, and a total of 3 cogs on our cassettes. :p The crowds weren't bad, and everyone in the park was pretty spread out. The hikers that we ran into were all the friendly sort. Awareness bell FTW. :thumbsup:

Two of the lizards ended up doing the Mustard climb twice. That hurt a little, but it was a good hurt. Each climb was followed by a little socializing at Four Corners. Up to Mark's bench, down Dreaded, and back up Whiting Ranch Road. Down Cactus, which is in pretty good shape. Lots of twisty fun... And not so many braking bumps that my teeth were in danger on the single speed. :D Up Vulture View to Sage Scrub, passing a couple other riders along the way. Apparently, someone hasn't been down Sage Scrub since it was rerouted at the top. :whistling: Down Serrano and Live Oak, which are always a hoot, and out to Wahoos.

No tacos. I opted for the protein bowl instead. :inlove: I'm trying to cut the carbs a bit. That doesn't apply to the Double Church IPA I have in front of me right now, though. :D

Fun night...

12 miles and 2200 feet... If we did this 4 more times, I'd be ready for the Wrightwood 50. It might be a rough one this time around. :poop:

22. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode Tahoe again today. Today’s ride started at the the TRT trailhead on Mt Rose Hwy and we headed to Marlette lake. From there we looped back via the original flume trail and the newer Incline flume. Then we descended down a fun trail called Tyrolean.
    550B63B8-D101-450C-A3EF-76CDA651681B.jpeg 262728F9-9501-432B-BFF3-04A839407CC7.jpeg C2944F09-A27A-4112-BF2F-1ACFD220595A.jpeg 691DC7DF-61BC-4FFF-BFBC-1468A2E7813C.jpeg F1575A68-EF4D-4EA6-BCC3-A9AF81D8370E.jpeg 818E2AEF-EA75-48C6-B74F-8AA7EBFF03D5.jpeg

23. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    A little jealouso_O
    :)

24. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yup, something different today. Kinda taking a break from Santiago Oaks....gotta admit that the crowds, Ebikes, trash ate keeping me away.

Anyway, chose to ride Whiting instead. Was supposed to be Whiting/Luge. However Suz wasn’t feeling it. So @Faust29 and it stayed in Whiting did some extra climbing. Double Mustard ascent....not so bad. Down Dreaded Hill...not as fun as I remembered. Back up Serrano Cow and Whiting Ranch Rd....kind of a grind. Back down Cactus, up Santiago Ranch to Vulture. Started to bomb down Sage like I always do...when all of a sudden the trail was no longer there. WTF did they put a switchback in there. Yeah, I went off the trail.

The rest of the way down was uneventful.

12 / 2100’

Danimal, Fueledbyex8, Redman and 13 others like this.
  25. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

26. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Ummmm. A LOT of jealous! :cry::(

27. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    a lot jealous. Spending my birthday dealing with father in law in hospital/transferring to convalescent home for pt/rehab. Plan was to ride Explo

28. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol
    A couple of weeks ago a guy stopped me in Cheseboro to ask about my bike, and we chatted for a bit. Ran into him again a week later riding with @mountaingirl sara and @SnakeCharmer. Turned out he lives super close to me and offered to show me some semi secret and some more well known though not heavily trafficked trails right by my house. We met up for a loop today. I was pretty taken aback by the quality of much of the single track. Ended up with an approximately 15 mile 2K loop, mostly single track, a little fire road, and some pavement to start/finish and piece a couple sections together. He also pointed out a well built though semi abandoned pump track just down the street. Fun riding, good vibes, and a good example of what the spirit of mtb should be. Rad morning.

Danimal, Fueledbyex8, Redman and 14 others like this.
  29. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Hmmmm? :whistling:

Sassyquatch, buggravy, mike and 2 others like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Oof, been there..that’s rough. Sorry Gary, hope it all goes smoothly

Sassyquatch, mike and Faust29 like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?