I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    imtbtrails house rules:
    Rule Number 1: Always reply with good intentions.
    Rule Number 2: Always assume the other person is responding with good intentions.

This is a place of good intentions. We are constantly razzing each other. Always assume a reply is a razz. If you think you are misinterpreting it, plan that you are. ;)

This be the mtb house of love! Ha ha! :inlove::)
    Like how this got back on track so quickly! Way to go Hooligans! :thumbsup:

2. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Oh sure! Everybody show up when I don’t! I can take a hint...:coffee:

Stkx66, mike, mtnbikej and 6 others like this.
  3. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    i went out late tonight. it was still light enough for a while. saw a mid-sized giant black spyder. once in my headlight it froze. saw three other night riders coming down
    Santa Rosa trail and the heading out to Lizard Rock.
    happy I am not alone tonight trails

Danimal, mike, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  4. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yes, fun ride and you killed it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    News got out Mikie. :gotnothing::laugh:

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Intense Tracer 275c DVOish
    My wife was reading the comments as they unfolded (KonaKC and Ed) and I said "don't worry - they'll sort it out. We all know each other and the herd will correct itself." And they did - right on cue. Thanks @UPSed and @konakc for coming through with the "my bad" and "no worries" corrections. :thumbsup:

7. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Who knew that this much love and respect could come from within us here who are frequently also dirty, sweaty, stinky, growling, grimacing, mountain biking animals when we are out on the trail?

8. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Next week Mr, be there or be square:D

Voodoo Tom, mike, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Well... Now that the group hug in our safe space is out of the way... Some of us actually rode bikes! :eek:

@mtnbikej and I went out to STT. I have been avoiding STT and the luge for a couple months until I felt better- especially on the hardtail. So, I took the newly assembled Darth Vader bike with one gear. The goal was to make it to the Cadillac intersection. I probably should have turned the heart rate monitor off on the climbs. Those were some pretty big numbers, but the gaskets held. :eek: :oops:

It felt good to ride the Chameleon again... The only thing I would change right now is the Forekaster in the rear. It's a good tire, but I've really come to appreciate the extra volume on the 2.4 Rekon. It's a much better suspension tire on the hardtail. But it's what I had on the garage wall...

Fun night... 13/2200

IMG_2378.jpg

10. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    No pics of J’s spill huh?:whistling:
    Glad he’s ok:thumbsup:

11. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    No camera tonight... You would have been too distracted by my hyperventilating. :oops:

12. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Haha, maybe you need some gears on that bike;):Roflmao

herzalot, Faust29, Voodoo Tom and 4 others like this.
  13. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    THANK YOU! Thank you @mountaingirl sara for stating the obvious! :coffee:;)

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yeah, back to STT....I've been avoiding it because it was just getting too overgrown for my liking....and let's be honest, I still don't like the Luge. @Faust29 wanted to test out the revamped SS, so no cheater bikes tonight. I'll say, for as bad as I felt on Tuesday afternoon, I felt much better yesterday. Temps were still up there. Enjoyed the breeze when it was there....dreaded it when it wasn't.

Made it Cadillac and started heading back. Got something in my eye so I removed my glove to dig it out.....while still riding. It was flat and we were barely moving. Went to put my glove back on and lost my balance....so took a digger doing about 3 mph. Landed square on my knee. Why is the skin on the knee sooooo thin? Gashed it pretty good....and ended up with some road rash on my forearm.

Ride down to the Luge was uneventful. The ride down the Luge beat the crap outta me.

Still fun to get out.

herzalot, Mikie, Faust29 and 10 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Let's get some group therapy going. Could be cheaper over stateline in NV – get that bigass thing up here and we'll check it out. :sneaky:

@mtnbikej: The rare times I've known you to hit the dirt have something in common. Lack of speed kills, bro! Hope it heals up no issues. Wound care blows...

Mikie, Faust29, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  16. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Sorry to hear about the digger. Glad it wasn't worse.

Mikie, Faust29 and mountaingirl sara like this.
  17. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    Out to Aliso for the first ride on the new Grip2 damper & 180mm air shaft. Early on in the tuning I was not really noticing the extra 20mm on the trail, because I still wasn't using it. Started @ 60psi, ended w/ 57psi, I am using 2.5 volume spacers now.

2nd lap down Lynx I started to notice the shock feeling a little lazy, so I bumped up the HSC 2 clicks, & opened up the HSR 1. 3rd lap down Lynx I rode straight into it & relaxed the hands a bit more, letting the fork soak up the hits. For the first time since I have started riding mtb's, I noticed I am riding the lines that I want to. Until this point I have always found my eyes looking at lines I could never quite get to, or stay on with much success. That isnt much of a problem with the increased small bump on the Grip2. I am very eager to get into some loose & technical jank and see the results.

The big hits are pretty impressive too. Coming to end of Lynx, most folks will take the last rock feature on the left, or middle left with a little gap step down onto another portion of the rock. I take a far right line that, at speed, is a 3.5'-4' drop. I always check my speed coming to this last feature, and aim to place my front tire on the last portion of the rock, effectively making this a 2' drop, or smaller, with a transition. On this 3rd run down Lynx I dont recall squeezing the brakes at all (but probably did to some degree), and sent that puppy straight to flat, probably 15' out. The way the suspension soaked that up, the plushness, the support, I went from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock pretty quick.

Heading down 5 Oaks, rode straight into it again. The new 1st berm & roll into the gutter is so nice, but gives you a few more mph heading into the first jump & rock drop. I came into that rock drop on the far right & landed far left, which put me outside the big holes as you head down the hill. I will need a new line if I want to hit that section any faster. Feeling pretty confident by this point, I passed a snake I was able to maneuver around before heading into the drop-roll-roll-roll section. Right at the top of that I lost the front end & hit a lone paver w/ the bars & stem. Pads saved me, bike seemed ok. Finished the trail with a huge dent in my confidence. I am going to play with under stem spacing... I think I am getting too far back on the bike in cornering.

The new 46T cassette is also nice, my 4th time up Cholla for the day wasn't far off a PR that I set on my 29er XC HT over a year ago... may hit 4 minutes on fresher legs.

8.4 mi / 1770 ft

EKBLOdXh.jpg

18. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy
    Obviously my dearest Sara we have not met yet, not knowing each other I somewhat understand, I say somewhat understand you have misunderstood my complete sarcasm! I am more sarcastic than ever in these ridiculous times of buttercupizm , probably not the best trait, but since things are soooo ridiculous I can’t help it! Circumstances are sad and almost funny. Mikie was spot on in his earlier post.
    Amazing what Mikie has done to corral the moral of this community of dirt bags! BTW that was sarcasm ;). Huggs and kisses to all!
    Rule Number 1: Always reply with good intentions.
    Rule Number 2: Always assume the other person is responding with good intentions.

This is a place of good intentions. We are constantly razzing each other. Always assume a reply is a razz. If you think you are misinterpreting it, plan that you are. ;)

This be the mtb house of love! Ha ha! :inlove::)
    Like how this got back on track so quickly! Way to go Hooligans! :thumbsup:

herzalot, CBone, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  19. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    SS Kirk had its maiden voyage around the local (very overgrown) loop today. Still smarting a bit from the stinging nettle hits but hey needs must. I've never ridden a single speed before (well not in an mtb sense anyway) so it felt a bit weird to start with. Kept reaching for a shifter :D
    Bike did pretty well considering the thrown together nature of it all. Seat post is to short, spinning in the pedals I'm bouncing on the saddle. Pretty sure I have another post in the box of bits in the shed so will measure it up and see if that gets me over the line. No way am I even going to tempt running close to the min insert depth, these frames had a bad reputation for cracking so I want to keep things as safe as possible! Probably going to flip the stem back over and make it positive rise. The bike felt better with the travel wound down from a bouncy point of view but was a nicer riding position when the travel was jacked right up (but then I had to much bounce)
    Brakes wise I ended up going with Avid stuff, FR7 levers, Single Digit 7 on the back and a BB7 on the front. Need to do some tweaking of the BB7, it slows you down but its pretty uninspiring in its stopping ability. I've read they can be a bit a of a mare to set up so I'll educate myself a bit more and try again.
    Gearing seems about right, I only had to get off and walk one small bit and that was more due to a fallen tree catching me out hidden round a corner rather than the steepness of the hill.

Its certainly a different way of riding, I have a tendency to try and go everywhere at a constant speed / effort. With this when your on the flat or slightly downhill you pretty much have no choice but to chill and enjoy the view. I'm glad I built it and I'm pretty sure it'll be getting a fair bit of use.
    IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    BB7's are simple to set up.

Higher bars are better on SS....otherwise you are too bent over to pull up on the bars effectively.

The cars are driving on the wrong side of the road.

21. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    LOL! I like you already @hill^billy ! One of these days we’ll get to meet in person! Thanks for not getting bent outta shape.:thumbsup:
    Love this place @Mikie its a good place to hang out :D

22. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Very descriptive; thank you! When are you gonna advance to riding real bikes and shred on a hardtail? :laugh:

BTW, I’d like a chance to experience you and @herzalot at Aliso one of these days. :eek:

herzalot, mtnbikej, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  23. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    I thought I had already paid my dues, and then some. No one (in their right mind :whistling:) races DH or Enduro on a hardtail, and improving in short order to become a competitive racer is something that brings me satisfaction.

I am there riding my buns off most days of the week while the sun is up after work, but I have been known to show up for casual group rides on occasion when given notice. :D

24. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    What? Looks like the perfect Cannell bike to me... Maybe with some bigger tires.

25. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    The drivers sitting on the right side :p

Got any BB7 tips? wind in the inboard adjuster twice as much as the outboard until clamped, tighten the bolts and then back of the adjusters again until no rubbing?

26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    I can play that video for you again? You are the opening statement. :whistling:

mtnbikej, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  27. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Last minute day off so of course I had to ride. Late start so we just cruised a little bit of singletrack and some fire road. Fun day despite the heat.

20190822_125302.jpg 20190822_125422.jpg 20190822_125542.jpg 20190822_125754.jpg 20190822_125913.jpg 20190822_130025.jpg 20190822_130119.jpg IMG_20190822_130823_144.jpg

Grego, rossage, Stkx66 and 13 others like this.
  28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    WOW! That jump was huge. :Roflmao

And to think it only took 7 pics to showcase that bad boy!

Grego, mike, scottay and 11 others like this.
  29. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    :oops:

mike, herzalot, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Now Eddie...? How does that make you feel about what Chris P. said to you?

mike, Old&InTheWay, herzalot and 6 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?