I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Well-Known Member

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    :thumbsup:

2. Erckalf

Erckalf Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    You
    It's time to come back I think.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Chameleon 60%
    Hey, I forgot I liked riding bikes! Should probably try it more than once a week! Left at 7:00 this evening, after some dinner. Just cruised around. Had a little tip over on the only vaguely technical spot when I tried to ride outside of a big rut (it wasn't). Just fell into the upward side of the hill and scraped a bit... NBD. Kinda' beautiful out though!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2583127024

zNKe_L5KpKbNyV8a75y9yHE1v5jzkT7siF9D9Qh3eUHeRttWugdP87LnGAxUVmcTYVu2VA6e5aRHZesH9d8=w856-h642-no.jpg

4. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Managed to find some spare time amongst everything else going on at the moment to pop back over to Cannock for a quick lap. Plan was to take the Whyte as I'd finally managed to source a replacement shock for it from Germany but after installing that and taking it for a quick spin I discovered the back of the rear brake pads had oil on them...... damn caliper seal has gone :( . Whyte thrown to the back of the garage and dragged the ever reliable Marin out instead. Its probably got to much travel for Cannock but I wasn't giving up my chance to ride.
    Since the hottest day we've ever had last week the weekend was torrential downpours and flooding. Didn't realise that Cannock must have been hit pretty hard by it all. Big puddles everywhere and still pretty wet under the trees. The trail is very stony for the vast majority so this made for some interesting times! Theres still a couple of detours in place due to the ongoing forestry happening, riding a couple of the detours was a squishy experience. The tracks been washed out as well in a couple of places but I'm guessing the weekend volunteer crew will have it tidied up in no time.
    School holidays started here this week so there was heaps of people out and about, awesome to see young ones out riding.
    Anyway had a ball, wife had a look of dismay when she saw the state of me when I got home. Hopefully I can get back out there on the Whyte one last time before everything gets packed up for the move to California.
    IMG_0606.jpg

~JB~, Fueledbyex8, Stkx66 and 15 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    @Mikie please hurry with those IMTB socks. I know a lad who could use some.

Thanks for the RR Lost Kiwi - good luck with the move to CA-USA. I hear it's wonderful out there!

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Ok... All of the ones you mention are not the one I believe it is. :p

#IKnowBurgerSecrets

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    TNBS......just 3 of us tonight. @horsebikerider and @Faust29

Warm at the start.

The highlight of the ride happened about 10 mins in. Just before Edwards Ranch, we witness a very large bobcat hop from the creek, run across the road and up the hillside....all about 40’ in front of us.

The first part of the climb was brutally hot.

Suz crushed it up and down on the new Chameleon.....I think she likes it. :laugh:

Good times.

8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    We rode last night... The Dynamic Single Speed Duo, plus the third wheel on the Barcalounger. :oops: The Hightower may be a decent climbing bike, but two Chameleons with 2 cogs between them climb better. :thumbsup: @horsebikerider 's new lizard is a really good looking bike in the black and green... It needs a dropper and it will be all set. :whistling: :p I miss my Chameleon, but she's where she needs to be right now. And she may even come out better than before. :whistling:

Shortly after making the hard right hand turn at the beginning of Black Star, we had some excitement. The road runs along the creek on the left. On the right is a steep embankment maybe 20 feet high. Maybe a little more... Not 20 feet in front of us, a fully grown very excited bobcat came out of the creek bed, darted across the road, and climbed the embankment. I've seen bobcats several times, and they are usually really mellow. This guy was not thrilled to share the trail and wanted to get away from us as quickly as possible. Watching him move was incredible... Freaking awesome!

I suggested we end the ride at that point and go for tacos... No takers, though. :cautious: :p

The rest of the ride up was fun, and wasn't always social. There were a few spots where we were chasing rabbits. :thumbsup:

Fun times... I ate a lot of dust on the way down. Enough for a meal. :eek: At one point I was going to snap a picture of the dust storm, but last time that plan didn't go so well... :oops:

SS Barby, ~JB~, Fueledbyex8 and 17 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    Seems that Tailwind Waterboarding is at hand... :coffee:

10. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    I should have clarified that I was talking about the climb up... The Boat Wall I think it is called, etc. Cleaned that for the first time yesterday, but not on that day.

Tuesday rode with the BikeCo crew in Aliso on the #350 spring. Rebound on the shock was a tad high on the first couple trails, & I actually went off for a moment after a fork bottom out on 5 Oaks, & just felt mentally quite sensitive on MS. Climbed Mathis, made some damper adjustments and sent it through the Gnargarden (11s) for a 3rd overall, tied w/ Charlie Harrison. GL in Val di Sole today & tomorrow Charlie! :thumbsup: 17.5mi / 2600 ft

8EsXzrEh.jpg

Wednesday night did an Oaks/Weir loop with a buddy who rides my old Raleigh hardtail. He has a natural ability on the bike & trails despite riding a skateboard for the last 15 years. I need to get him out more, he is not a drag to ride with. 12.8 mi / 1900 ft

vlxXeB1h.jpg

Thursday was a solo Aliso + Laguna loop. Didnt find bottom, but found an OTB on T&A shortly after the huck/roll. I figure I was just getting cute on a line I had no business being on, and paid for it. Thankful for the pads, no additional injuries to nurse, so only nursing the ones I already had. :unsure: 15.6 mi / 3000 ft

~JB~, Fueledbyex8, Grego and 15 others like this.
  11. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    I don't remember any mention of tacos!!! :speechless:

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Cut a ride short, and the tacos are always implied. :D

mike, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  13. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    :bang:! I did not know this. Thanks for educating me! :notworthy:

mike, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  14. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    We rode Campbell loop/ area today . 12 miles of XC trails. Fast hero dirt. The trails were smooth. Flagstaff, Az

B799DCE5-43F1-4D70-AC67-CC135C2548B9.jpeg

8D2E8B6F-EBB3-40DE-B145-92A8EF99AE32.jpeg

07F2900D-84BC-478F-9CFC-EDB844228429.jpeg

F69E3A32-58E8-4321-A8C9-E62D909A99AF.jpeg

da big hills, ~JB~, rossage and 18 others like this.
  15. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Hey, wait, :stop: aren't the rides now in "taco units", where so many miles or elev to get a set number of Tacos. You can't cut it short or no taco units are earned.
    Or was that just poke the hornets nest and challenge the currently accepted Herz unit of Measure? o_O:whistling:

mike, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Lucky you didn’t re-injure! Heal up fast!!

17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Herz Units shall forever be the IMTBTrails gold standard. :thumbsup:

mike, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    TailBoarding...

mike, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Kinky.

20. scan

scan Well-Known Member

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Hertz is the long held standard unit===Cycles per second!!!

21. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Rode my bike yesterday! Another amazing day on the trails here in Truckee! Did my usual Sawtooth Trail Loop and stumbled across a new trail called Big Chief. When it’s completed it’ll go to Watson Lake and hook onto Tahoe Rim Trail! @mike, you’ll have to check it out when you heal up! They’ve done an incredible job so far. I only did about 3.5 miles of Big Chief as I was running low on water and had to turn back. Some sketchy sections for sure! But that adds to the fun! Will be back to check out the rest for sure. Ended up with 21.5 miles.

E32F9492-775E-4CDD-B91C-51EC067BED31.jpeg

C97A371A-FC2A-42B5-8E42-FA39E837C8E9.jpeg

EDA24CB9-6855-4CB9-B309-B48DBF36BCAA.jpeg

87313568-CE31-4366-BF68-5AE5B932DC4E.jpeg

D1B4DAEF-C3EB-4542-AD44-5417E13764E6.jpeg

C3FAD11C-AEB5-4769-B05C-C881171FA8FD.jpeg

5A13B7F2-BBA8-46B5-B18B-C29A5C99938B.jpeg

FC114224-812A-42F7-9BD9-FE9FE77EF8D8.jpeg

0DFC9DDD-5C59-40FB-B6A5-61FCCA9E3B4E.jpeg

792EEEBA-C91F-48E0-B3C6-D069A94CBD02.jpeg

926C2EC1-504B-4B86-976B-E509A37801E2.jpeg

9A5CB160-7028-4AED-8EEB-6E0CB7D54514.jpeg

Mikie, da big hills, ~JB~ and 20 others like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3
    @buggravy reached out the other day about riding the newly reopened section of Backbone Trail: Kanan to Corral Cyn. We had talked about riding it when it reopened the last time we rode another section of the trail system. So this morning, fairly early, we met up at the T-1 parking lot. I arrived a bit early so I dropped in a short way on the West side of Kanan Road for a little warm up. Right away, I knew it was gonna be tough for me today. My legs were super tight. But I was very much so looking forward to hitting what I think is the best three sections of the trail system.

The ride heading East is taxing right from the start with a baby monster climb to get up and over Kanan Road. From there on it was becoming clear that the ride I used to know well had changed, mostly due to the loss of dense brush and oak trees, thanks the fire. The trail itself was loose, clearly just reopened. It needs a bit of light rain and lots of foot and bike well traffic to wear it in again. And, it will happen, I'm sure.

It's Moon Dust season on the Backbone trail so be prepared to get dirty, especially if you are behind another rider. I led much of the way and Matt wisely stay back in an effort to allow the fine dust to settle. But on the way back, we had a bit of a cluster fvck with the other riders so I was in the middle of that and I "got dusted" fairly well. :rolleyes:

We made it to Latigo Canyon Road before the heat set in but we could feel it coming. So we took a quick breather and then carried on. The baby monster climb on this section before the saddle, heading East was totally doable. There has been an almost complete trail reroute along side of the old one on this climb so you are not in the wash-out for the upper portion. That was nice to see and long overdue, IMO. We both cleaned that climb and then carried on to the saddle.

The drop down from the saddle heading East is also loose. Much of the sandstone/slickrock stuff has a layer of dust on it which made the descent a little treacherous. The area through the creek bed at the bottom of that was fun though. It's roughed up quite a bit from the rainy season. The rock garden sections and creek bed crossings are a bit more raw now. The ride from there to the Corral Canyon parking lot is mainly unchanged.

We rested up for a bit after we arrived. That's when the other groups of riders started arriving. We also saw a few more hikers, one of them an 83 year old gal. That was cool to see. :cool:

When I got back on my bike to start heading back, I was all stiffened up. The ride back was tough and it usually is because this is a demanding ride but it's a really good one.

I have not uploaded the Garmin yet but I believe that it said something like 12.7 miles, 2346', and over 1000 calories.

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

Mikie, da big hills, Faust29 and 15 others like this.
  23. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Great ride for sure, though the heat and extreme loose made it feel much more taxing than the mileage and climbing would imply. The all knowing Strava machine tells me we did 13.5 & 2443. I loved the interaction with the 83 y/o lady. Seemed like a very pleasant butt kicker of a human. Definitely want to do this ride in cooler weather and on better dirt, though I feel like the need for variety will take me back sooner than that. It was REALLY nice to get on new dirt today.

Mikie, Faust29, Fueledbyex8 and 11 others like this.
  24. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    We rode and then we had beer, the end...
    IMG_9749.jpg

25. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Go ahead @Faust29 , post it! Let's see what you came up with.:coffee:

Mikie, doublewide, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  26. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Excellent finish!!

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Way to to get after it, Lubo! Nice...TFPU :thumbsup:

Buddy, Big Chief is completed and I did ride it from Watson Lake down to the Sawtooth split. :cool: BC requires some energy to get the most out of...I was far into my ride and going in survival mode, but, wow, millions of features.

If you need a shuttle somewhere, LMK. I can't sit in front of a laptop forever :geek:

Mikie, Faust29, rossage and 6 others like this.
  28. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Road ride on the MTB today. I needed to put in some miles and maybe up the endurance a little. P-12 is not a place to rack up the mileage because it is a confined area. No huge elevation grinds and long trails. Punchy ups and downs is the pattern there.
    I decided to stretch the legs a bit with a longish road ride. The elevation gain was not huge but came in one sustained climb and some long but gradual gain. I was trying to make it back home for an event so I didn't stop to rest. Water only and no nutrition. I had food with me but I put it in my pack because I was expecting to have to stop and rest/recover. I felt good and the temps were great.

I missed my 3x drive train today. The 1x11 just doesn't give me the top end. Roadies were just cruising past me at 30 mph and I spun out at about 25.
    A highlight was bombing down into the Antelope Valley on Johnson Rd. losing most of the elevation in just a couple of miles. Strava says 47.6 mph was my top speed. Kind of exhilarating on knobby mtb tires :eek:

Small potatoes for all of you guys - 30.78 mi. and 1,773 ft.

Mikie, SnakeCharmer, Faust29 and 13 others like this.
  29. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    On One Lurcher Single
    McDowell Mountain Park summer night ride series tonight. Met my cousin to do the standard pemberton loop. Started out with a little bit of light with some thunder in the background. About 11 miles in we got a few sprinkles and with 2 miles left the sky opened up. This California boy has never seen so much rain fall in such a short time. No chit chat after just get in the car, try to dry up and drive home. Loving this desert riding and learning to manage with the heat.

09D08F17-D105-4833-A607-23D9F54D57FB.jpeg

Mikie, Faust29, rossage and 13 others like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    :geek:
    WOW!!!! That’s just beautiful!:geek:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?