I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    not today.... yesterday. Santiago Oaks form Santiago Hills Park started pedaling just before 7 am. LOTS OF RIDERS as I was going in, a few big groups of endurBros. Once to the top of Chutes everyone spread out, no trail clogging for me. Up chutes, down cactus, up bumblebee, down hawk, across sage ridge, up oak, down yucca, up coachwhip, down deer and out to Weir Canyon. Nice and quiet out in Weir Canyon, only saw a few hikers. When I got back into the Oaks, it was like somebody closed the park. I rode up to the flag to have a look at the trails below and did not see any one on any trails. The park was all mine and it wasn't even 10am. Down Yucca again, up Coachwhip again, down Barham, down Cactus again, across bumblebee, up mountain goat, down chutes and out back to the car. I used a caffeinated Tailwind in my first bottle and I could definitely feel the affects from the caffeine. Could swore I PR'd a few of the trails in the first hour. Strava would tell me otherwise after the ride. Temps felt good at the start and not so bad for most the ride. Just over 20 miles and somewhere around 3700'. Bikes are fun!

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Nice......lots ups and downs in that route.

3. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    How could I not like that gif?! :inlove:

4. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    No It is gps based and you get it in the app store. It does use the internet to download the ride at the end though. Being the IMTB social butterfly that you are I cannot believe you are not on there. I think the best part is seeing the stats that it gives you and checking out your buddies rides. I just recently figured out how to download someone else's ride and track it when I ride it. Very cool:thumbsup: just like mtb project and trail forks. It is similar to Facebook in that you have to accept and request friends. No biggie though.

5. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    I Rode My Bike Today :
    :thumbsup:

20190729_073741.jpg
    20190729_094901.jpg

Bikes Are Fun To Ride :)

6. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    Someone got all the way to the peak... :thumbsup:

Trabuco... :cry:

7. Old&InTheWay

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I had today :speechless:
    20190729_115618.jpg

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9, Santa Cruz Hightower
    :mad:WHAT..... THE..... HAIL!
    @Grego !!!

Cyclotourist, Grego, mike and 10 others like this.
  9. Old&InTheWay

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Maple Springs to Santiago Peak 25.32 miles 4.245 feet 2.300 calories

Got a 4:15 AM start. On my previous Harding to Santiago Peak ride didn't get going till 5:45 AM and paid a price for that. Today I was greeted by a beautiful star filled night sky. I figured I was going to have a good day because a start like this is usually such a sign.

Moon Rise

20190729_053700.jpg

Sunrise

20190729_055111.jpg
    At the beginning it was 52 degrees and by the time I got to the peak it was 92 degrees in the shade. But because I was in the shade almost the whole time going up it wasn't a problem. It was an unending great show in the sky but the best part was that when I got up towards the peak I was seeing a crystal clear, colorful view of the Trabuco Trail burn area and was also able to take some not too bad photos.

P1000233.JPG

I'll try and post some more when I have time to get them shorted out.

I had brought with me an extra 50 oz. bottle of frozen water and stashed in some bushes by the 4 Corners gate. The plan was to pick it up on the way back down and head over to Motorway. I did a little 1/2 mile down and back up tester. It had to be 100 degrees with no shade. Which meant Motorway with its thermal updraft was going to be 110 degrees. I learned a lesson from yesterday's cautionary tale and my experience on the previous ride, so I'll save that for another time. Maple springs was really hot too, going down but there were about 25 nice areas of shade. I stopped at 20 of them.

20190729_055410 (1).jpg
    :):)

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Bravo :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, mike, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  11. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Double wide... I love inside jokes but this is just wrong! One shall not hide burger location from this forum! I won't tell grego.... Just give me a hint... I really do ride the floop....

12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I flooped today ..exactly 1000 feet elevation...
    Who put that gap jump there?

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Grego and 7 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Thanks @Tom the Bomb - I made up my mind about data seeking years ago, and have avoided STRAVA for a variety of reasons. I enjoy the opposite of their "prove it" model. "Prove I didn't!" I know when I feel fast and when I don't. I know when I had a ton of fun and when I just had lots of fun. I know that some days I am faster than others, and that most people ride farther and faster than I ever could. I don't need another social media competing for my attention, and I would be miserable trying to be the fastest 56 yr old, 6'4" regular foot on a 6" travel bike on the 300 yard segment of Trail X.

That said, the data is helpful for people setting tangible goals, without which, they may not even ride. It's just not for me.

14. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Actually, I rode my bike last night.
    P-12. Hit Rocky Ridge which is fast at the top and has some tech near the bottom. Penalty for failure would not be death but still nasty. Fun stuff.
    CB526944-6F9D-4E0D-A6FE-C7D30EA69671.jpeg

15. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Herz let me know when, if you do that skyline , Summit ride you did last year. I would like to try to make that.

16. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Quick little 10 mile ride around my inlaws’ neighborhood in Truckee. Trying to get acclimated. Love it up here!

6A1E420B-8A68-4B23-B1E0-627FD9103D4E.jpeg

6E242FC1-F06C-4CB6-9B98-C9F7A9F5146B.jpeg

6F84D9D9-1919-4C24-B614-E762F85486E7.jpeg

17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU. Damage control – good approach, Lubo, but there is no escape!!!!!!!! :eek::cool::thumbsup:

I'll be GTG with the new pivot bolt I just received. What you wanna ride? I'll try like hell not to lag. I think north-facing aspects are still white up around Donner. I have work, but my people understand, so let's plan a day or whatever you can swing. TRT from Brockman Summit/Walternate/Western States looked really good riding up it, would make a sweet P2P shuttle or out-back if ya feel irie. Holler... :)

PS @Old&InTheWay: Two great photos, Steve, thanks.
    PPS: Recount! Numerous great ones. :geek: The ones in post 18695 grabbed me, tho.

18. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I rode my bike last night on Black Spyder. I saw a black scorpion. I was almost done when my headlights picked up some black thing that may have legs. I tried to stop quickly, but by the time I got back it was off the trail. I found him; a big black tarantula. This is why I call the trail Black Spyder
    happy trails in the darkness

19. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Cool shot!

Faust29, mike and CBone like this.
  20. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Rick took it. Not my shot unfortunately.
    I’m the caboose. For once the the guys ahead of me were slowing me down :facepalm:
    Made for a nice tight group for the pic though :thumbsup:

Faust29, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  21. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    We rented this fine buggy for 2 hours late yesterday afternoon. We peddled like mad to 3 local breweries in our chosen circuit. Fun! But work- We laughed and had a great time.

FFDDC930-ED63-4F91-8CD8-48B6DED72281.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Faust29, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  22. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    PV3 & FEX
    Everyone looks brewery happy! :D

23. da big hills

da big hills Well-Known Member

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    oh my gosh, i turned on the debate. climate change has lengthened fire season/ the truth is no more range cattle has created hills that like to burn. Flint Mich water is poisoned by racists. truth the water pipes in Flint are sealed with lead. They used to treat the water so lead was passivated and did not leach into the water. The pipes are over 100 years old. Flint stopped treating the water to save money, the passivated layer disolved and lead leaches in. I did not know passivation is racist. That took 10 minutes and now I am going to ride early since the airwaves are immersed in buhl schistt

mike, Faust29, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nice ride...

Faust29, mtnbikej, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  25. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Met up with @stevers this afternoon and did a whiting loop. Fun time, great conversation, and He's is no worse for the wear from hitting the ground a few weeks ago. Great meeting you steve! This is four rides in four days for me....oh yeah! :thumbsup:

26. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Over the hump today. 15 mile loop around Limestone and then a mini loop around the peninsula where the event is held
    Wow i have ridden Limestone many many times over the years, docent led rides and open access days, but i have never seen it so loose. I was there just 2 months ago and it was in tip top shape. Loma Ridge was sandy and especially the descent into proper Limestone Canyon (the viewing deck). Somehow they cut out the fun little single track on top of Loma. Limestone Ridge ST was a blast, loved it. I didnt push it too hard, i was less tired than last week. Perhaps because i was trying not to crash in the sand :)
    Great night, lots of fun. Tons of riders out, fun to watch that :thumbsup:

Grego, Danimal, Old&InTheWay and 10 others like this.
  27. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Hey, after 7 laps, DW was hungry!!!:p

I'm standing right here.:rolleyes: BTW, you can ask @Faust29 , he said he knew.:Roflmao

28. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Ride Life Ride Giant
    Even IF he did know, I doubt he'd be able to pick up that massively tasty, mouth watering burger with his bum shoulder....:Roflmao You definitely need both hands for that sucker!

29. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

7BE2F20F-D67F-417D-BA56-E75C755C94D6.jpeg

Cyclotourist, konakc, rossage and 8 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    2 SC and a STDM
    STR data mining and Google Maps FTW!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?