I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    R we gonna specify. Taco units...one taco per thousand? Ok then I did three taco ride minus sour cream

Mikie, mike, rossage and 6 others like this.
  2. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Hard shell for hardtails, soft taco's for squishy bikes.

However, there's only one trail that measures in burgers, although you'll over eat for that one.

mike, rossage, Mikie and 12 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Hey, Man! Let's get the taco/elevation equation down before we try for burgers! :stop: Can you imagine the variables? 500 feet for a slice of cheese? But pickles, onions and lettuce are free!

mike, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 10 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Jalapeños FTW! Negative calories due to induced sweat. :cool:

Mikie, mike, rossage and 7 others like this.
  5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    and induced :poop:...

Mikie, mike, rossage and 8 others like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    I agree - let's agree on a taco unit! We need to define a standard taco first though. That will be a war in and of itself, I suspect.

PS: Not in this thread please. :stop: I wouldn't want it to get derailed. :unsure:

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I saw the taco pic at the gate leading up to Modjeska and I was going to ask if you went all the way to the peak. Apparently you did!

Wish you rode on Sunday AM because I would have joined you on this ride. I can't ride most Saturdays - they aren't my own :)

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    194D5C25-9A50-442A-B536-AD6F9E922053.png I rode my mountain bike on International Ride MTB Day! I don’t know who Mark is, but both he and his friend are faster than me.

doublewide, Mikie, mike and 12 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Good for you. Nice to see that you are using your new trail tool.

Mikie, mike, Fueledbyex8 and 3 others like this.
  10. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Couple of rides this week :thumbsup:

Checked out Emerald Canyon to the very bottom..last time 2 months or so ago it was heavily overgrown with some poison oak. Well it was perfectly groomed, all cut away. I really like that out and back actually

Today went around Serrano Ridge including some of the open access trails, always a fun extra option to do when they are open :thumbsup:

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Well my body has been telling all week that it is tired....so I chose not to make any commitments, sleep in go for a ride at some point today.

So I did just that. About noon I started to get the itch to ride. I've had a hankerin' for climbing Coal Canyon.

The plan was to climb up to Sierra Peak, then continue on up to the Doplar Ball and Hagador Peak if I was really feeling spunky.

I took the squishy bike, as Coal Canyon is brutal on the SS....and I just wanted a cruise up.

I parked about 4 miles away and rode in.

2:10 roll time and it was warm...but not bad....mid 80's.

My destiniation is at the top of that peak.....
    IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

As soon as I hit the dirt, the temps went up. Occasionally there was a breeze. Otherwise, after the first 1/4 mile....there would be no shade the rest of the way up. Just kept it in an easy gear and worked my way slowly up. My Garmin would top out at 99*....and it felt like it.

The top is getting closer, but still a ways away....
    IMG_5285.jpg

It was hot and it was dry. I took about 80 oz. with me as it is usually more than enough for a 3-4 hour ride. The trail gets steeper towards the top, it's also loose and rocky. However much easier to climb on the geared bike.

Finally made it to Sierra Peak. Nice breeze and 78*.
    IMG_5286.jpg

At this point I had been drinking alot...so I took inventory of my fluids....I had already burned through 60-65 oz. I don't think 15 oz. was going to be enough to get me to the Doplar Ball and back. So I wised up and headed down.

First time down Coal Canyon on a geared bike in about 5 or 6 years. Way faster on the squishy bike.

All in all a good ride. Much easier on the geared bike. The heat definitely worked me. I'll be back.

20 / 2960

12. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er

Started from Green River? I like that one, need to get out there again my own self.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

No, I parked in an industrial center by Weir/91

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  14. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike Belda
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Nice ride, just be careful on that Santa Ana Canyon strip. Some spots with absolutely no shoulder, and lots of SUV’s buzzing you. Something to consider is maybe parking close to Featherly Park in Yorba, that puts you almost in the same spot and it avoids that trouble strip

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

Yeah, fortunately they recently replaced the pavement on that stretch....now there is more of a shoulder to ride on. I almost parked at Brush Canyon Park....I refuse to park over by the golf course.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    Bike was ridden...
    In the 90’s I used to ride the hills of Palmdale with a guy named Pat Merek. Gladiator of a mountain biker. Rode the Expert class and trained me to become an expert.

One of the rides he took me on was one of the Littlerock Dam to Chilao Out and Back.
    I kept telling @Voodoo Tom about it as we would pass Littlerock on our way to Wrightwood. Well, today was the day.

@SS Barby , @Voodoo Tom and I started at Mt. Emma and Chesboro road and rode up to Littlerock Dam, where we were promptly told the Recreation area was closed by two Security Guards. We asked if we could “just pass through” since we are pretty dense. Apparently it’s a $5000 dollar fine with the potential for 6 months in a Federal Detentions Center. Plus... they both had guns.

So from previous experience, I took them on a variance of the planned ride.
    558D3560-D6D7-4A8D-A9C9-5AC6D790A1D2.png

17. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Mikie and Vodoo where’s the detailed RR with pics?

Cyclotourist, mike, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  18. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yesterday Jennifer and I grabbed a free shuttle from Crazy Bear to SkyPark. It wasn't busy at all and ebikes were few and far between. They actually have signs now that ebikes have to climb with the flow of traffic. We only saw one d-bag at the top while chatting with a couple of the park employees. He came flying through in turbo mode without a care in the world. The park guys told us the next step is to ban them. We did several laps with lunch in the middle. Note to self. Save the beer for after the ride. Fortunately I was able to recover and enjoy the rest of the day. Can't wait to go back.
    20 miles and 4k.
    20190720_123107.jpg
    FB_IMG_1563723619122.jpg

19. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    A couple of buddies that couldn’t go last weekend were up for hitting Big Bear this weekend so we went back up yesterday. I should’ve checked the calendar because there was a XC race going on yesterday......on Skyline.....the opposite way that we were riding. At least we got out early enough to get most of Skyline ridden before we started hitting racers and jumped off to the fireroad. We then just hit Pine Knot all the way down and headed back to Summit. Still a fun day on the bike.

A0B96B99-D507-434C-978B-3996C5D09493.jpeg 30FB4934-0D7A-4638-9787-ABA3FAED1377.jpeg E14727D8-BB23-49BA-A386-ADBD93A9D5A3.jpeg 3BA0684D-D44F-489F-A319-825D66626E93.jpeg

20. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    Agreed. Never "drink and ride".

21. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    First ride on the Fox 36 RC2 yesterday, went back to Aliso for tuning. Ran into a buddy & did a lap down Lynx. Met up with 2 others for another lap down Lynx, confident with the fork settings, took the training wheels off & PR'd all the trails.

After dropping into Laguna proper, I parted ways with the group to have a solo sunset lap on T&A. 19.5 mi / 4100 ft

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Sweet! Sounds like you got it dialed front and rear! :thumbsup:

23. Stubborn Approach

Stubborn Approach Member

Name:
    Tony
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad 3
    I did bottom out the shock on a nice step down feature I usually hit around 25 mph. Added a turn of preload & closed up HSC 3 clicks before heading down T&A. Ordered a #50 increase in spring rate. I have a feeling park/DH hits will bury the current spring, but it is so very nice to have suspension that sits higher in the travel. I can let off the brakes and it smooths the trail out.

24. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Tracer
    SkyPark today. Not crowded, but it seemed like there were more eBikes here than real bikes. Great weather.

Screenshot_20190721-133843_Strava.jpg

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I haven't ridden in a while, and I was chafing from my surfboard, so it was time to try the turf today. Pinged @Danimal this morning and he was doing some short trails near his home. Why not? He was kind enough to delay his departure 30 minutes so I could get over there and join him.

New dirt for me. We did Machete, then Water Works 2x, then an out and back to some lookout point over Arroyo Trabuco Golf Course, then back for another run on Machete. Cool little runs. Looks like there's more in there that's worth exploring as well, including a trail called Slingshot, I think. Definitely a nice backyard collection for those who live over that direction.

17 miles. 1400' Sunny, but not hot. 1 lazy rattler. A few hikers/joggers/walkers. A few bikes.

Here we are before dropping into Water Works. See? Aren't we cute!

Dan and Chris Water Works.JPG

26. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Yep, fun local ride with @herzalot glad he made it over. I like Machete, just a tad of tech, and Waterworks is a fun flow type deal. The other trail he's referring to is Spitfire. Haven't ridden it before so going to do some recon on it to see what it's about. Supposed to be to fun ride.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    I showed the weasel the dirt way up to our backdoor route to the Tahoe Rim.

Nice out there, no one around...

C2309322-2EEF-40A1-9236-53828065D566.jpeg

We worked through to paved Martis Peak Road and climbed a couple miles more, passing by the TRT connector and fire lookout, stopping at the summit.

Quick break and then pinballing down a steep, loose ST trail back to the road, weazal in front, all grins.

On to the the main event, a secret trail everyone knows about...

We stopped to session some rock drops, and waited for a group of FF stormtroopers to ride through. Had to chuckle that the wheez cleaned stuff that summadem dabbed or dismounted. :thumbsup:

On to some faster riding through berms and jumps, then back to the dirt road network and a long paved DH coast back to base.

Good clean fun with the lass. :inlove: She loved her first run on trail X. Felt barely over 80 degrees at the end. Prolly 22/3400.

28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Right on - 4200' of actual pedaling up the hill, That's a lot of laps. But that's the cool thing about Skypark, you are thinking about the laps and the downs and just doing the climb to get back for the next one. Then you look at your data and you've got over 4200' of climbing!

Well done sir! :thumbsup:

29. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Hell froze over. :eek: o_O

30. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Spitfire is fun... and there’s a little loop on the steep section, so you can repeat the drop. :)

There’s also another trail south of spitfire. It wasn’t finished last year... not sure about now. Guess I should check...

Want to donate to imtbtrails?