I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Fully loop.. early dinner... easy stroll.. lots of hikers tonite!
    No grego but hope to see him on saturday!

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I'm likin' bof dem signs. Not that either will be heeded. :mad:

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.
  3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    West face of Sugarloaf Mountain, Riverside. I’m tired. Kinda weak. Still fun. Broke a spoke on a punchy climb.

herzalot, Mikie, mike and 7 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That's some weird :poop:... Let's hope it's just weird teenage behavior. I see them down there quite a bit...
    --------------

We rode tonight! The single speed dynamic duo (@mtnbikej and @horsebikerider ) has been bitten by the Harding bug... I tagged along with my gears and squishy parts. :thumbsup: It was quite soupy until we got above 3500 feet, and then we were above the clouds... What a cool feeling to push through into the sunlight. I wonder if the guy on the electric motorcycle had the same feeling of accomplishment?

14/3000

Lots O kitty prints here...
    IMG_2038.jpg

Above the Clouds...
    IMG_2048.jpg

jaime, Mikie, SnakeCharmer and 14 others like this.
  5. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Seriously.
    Saw a dog on mustard yesterday, and 2 e :poop: today. :facepalm:

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Addict

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Sounds like a good ride Mike! Can I ask which steripen you have?

Mikie, Faust29, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Thanks, pally. :) We have the Adventurer – included the pen, case and pre-filter/funnel adapter.

I can say with certainty that this is one of the best pieces of outdoor gear I've owned, and I will never be convinced to use anything other than AquaMira tablets temporarily in the event this thing stops working. I owned/used numerous filters and systems, and will state emphatically: filters suck ass for numerous reasons. Myoxx, forget it. I've used my Steripen way over 100 days worth of BC travel. Battery life is insane – two people for 60 days and still working. Protips: Get the longer-sized 3v batteries for spares (two lengths are mfred), and maybe don't shove the unit in a tight pocket where the button can be activated. Easy to lash the sheath somewhere handy. A wide-mouth bike bottle is key for stirring with the pen, and the pre-filer minus it's funnel adapter fits one perfectly. The funnel adapter is kind of stupid, though, because it doesn't fit in a standards soda bottle (Platypus) neck. I never use it.

With the winter we just had, my pen is going to get even more use this year than last. I actually look forward to water resupplies because it's so restful hanging out in the negative ions. :cool: If you ride where there are running ground sources, or even standing-ish water in a pinch, and like to take occasional breaks, it's a no-brainer. :)

Mikie, Danimal, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Some of the TNBS Ride switches locales and decided to hit up Harding again.

I threw it out and half expected to get vetoed...on the contrary. @horsebikerider amd @Faust29 were both in. I even gave them a last minute out that neither took.

Suz took off a few mins ahead of us. It would take us nearly 3 miles to catch her. She’s killing it on the SS.

Got passed by a pansy on an ebike.

Harding was the way I like it....fogged in.

At 5 Mile turn, we broke through the clouds and welcomed the blue skies and sunshine.

We pushed on to 7 Mile PONR.

Fun run back down as we re entered the soup.

Good times.

AD958305-488E-4E0F-B699-B4B606AC0555.jpeg 224C8208-0D33-4DE7-9D04-CC4808E1D0B7.jpeg 5D4660D4-C200-4692-930D-8BEAACBD3E07.jpeg

jaime, Mikie, Danimal and 15 others like this.
  9. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Harding so much nicer than maple.. esp w no trucks!

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  10. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    My son was in town this week, so on Monday I took the family - wife, kids and three dogs - up Maple Springs in my Acura MDX. We went to the first switchback in the dirt, and then turned around and came back down.

You won't see THAT on Harding :)

dogs.jpg

knucklebuster, scan, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  11. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Great info! We do have some spots of standing and running water up here, and I’ve always wanted to test out a pen or straw! Thanks Mtn Mike :thumbsup:

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  12. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Bonsai,
    I forgot how cool your dogs are!!! I was going to get a puppy aussie shepherd/mix last month... did not work out... I'll have to wait a bit..
    I remember how much fun they had w/ each other!!
    Yes.. never rode Harding Single tracks!!
    harding just has more character than maple...

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 2 others like this.
  13. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    if you ever need a good home for any of your dogs... (I know I know that's unspeakable)

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    LOL no way... but I appreciate the sentiment :)

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 1 other person like this.
  15. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    Different ride today. Outlasted the morning downpour in HB and rode the strand from Magnolia to the jetties past SeaPoint with my good friend. Beautiful day down at the beach.

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 5 others like this.
  16. code3

code3 Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout
    I don't know, everyone here seems to complain about the e-bikes up there. But I ride there a reasonable amount, and have the same issues with normal riders, and e-bikes on the way up. Being completely honest, the e-bike annoyance, probably has more to do with my pride than their etiquette. I guess you could say I'm lucky, but I feel like the sentiment here is a little blown out of proportion.

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Agreed. It's definitely etiquette and not the ebike thing that really bothers me personally.

Mikie, Danimal, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  18. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Nice ride at Exploration today. Met up with Knucklebuster, Nikkel Pikkel and new to the trail Inji and Inji Jr. Took our time coming down as it was a bit crowded with hikers which gave us some time to show Inji and Jr. the lines and session some of the tricky stuff. Good times, the weather was perfect.

Redman, scan, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  19. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Great riding with TtB again, been too long! Good meeting Nick, Inji and Jr (who is 11 years old, rides a 29er and kills it on the climbs and darn good on the downs.)
    A few pics:
    Snow Valley Reservoir near the top of the climb
    20190622_101958.jpg

At Keller Peak, Inji and TtB
    20190622_105922.jpg

Tom showed us a couple rock rollers that I'd never seen before. Watching him roll them first made them doable. Inji Jr...
    Screenshot (161).png

Tom showing me the line
    Screenshot (160).png

20. mtbfan

mtbfan Member

Name:
    Sylvia
    Nice day on Blackstar today. Ran into a few friends at Beeks. IMG_1569.JPGIMG_1569.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

21. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    I was going to ride Explo this afternoon, but too busy, and couldn't pull it off. I want to try the site 6 trail up. Fingers crossed can do it tomorrow, but it's looking to be just as full.

22. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    It was my first time to go up the campsite 6 trail. Up the pavement a couple miles, then the #6 singletrack for 1.5 , and dirt access road 1.5 to the treailhead, so 5 total. Generally just stay to the right at any forks and when the ST meets the dirt road. Much more interesting than climbing the pavement the whole way, much easier than going up exploration. I still wouldn't call it easy though, some steeper pitches here and there.

23. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    A good overview, thanks! Not going up today though... :-(

24. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    Doublemint twins.

mike, Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  25. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    Nugget Proflex 657
    Got up early, threw the Whyte in the back of the car and headed over to Cannock Chase to see how it went. I was a bit nervous that something was going to let go on me and leave me stranded. The test ride round the local loop a couple of days beforehand saw the chain snap for some strange reason.....
    Anyways nice quiet morning out there. Only two other cars in the carpark when I arrived (I've seen well over 100+ before) so I set out not in any particular rush. When I was first looking at these PRST monstrosities I remember one review that compared it to a F1 car, the faster you go the better it gets. I never set out intending to smash in a quick lap and only use Strava to keep track of where I've been but I'm astounded by today. Out of 88 segments I PB'd 68, 2nd placed another 10 and did the 8th fastest lap of anyone ever :eek:

Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to take the bike back of the trails though now for a bit, the rear shock is losing about 5psi a day so I see a warranty call coming up next week.

Cyclotourist, mike, Redman and 11 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Sweet! Congrats! :cool: :thumbsup:

Lost Kiwi, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  27. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    That's cool... Amazing what a different bike can do, and even more amazing what a resurrected vintage steed is still capable of... :thumbsup:

Friday night was @Rumpled 's Black Star summer solstice. I think it was 9,000 degrees last year, and this year it was wet and cold. We started out in light soup and 60 degrees. By the time @mtnbikej and I got to the 1/2 way point at the Mariposa gate, we could see that it was socked in on Main Divide. We made the call to skip pushing through the fog to Sierra Peak and opted, instead, to drop down to the bottom and re-join the group. By the time we reached them, we were soaked through and through...

Chatted with TB, @BonsaiNut, @Andy and a few others at the 1/2 way point on the way back up and then we pushed on... TB naturally increased our pace. I hung on- sort of. One guy's slow casual social pace is another man's impending heart attack... :D Maybe on the single speed it would have been more manageable. Maybe not. :whistling:

At Beeks it was just plain cold. And the wind was blowing... @BonsaiNut was huddled behind the wall of the ruins for warmth. That's where I stayed as long as we were up there. I'd say @Old&InTheWay was the only one who came prepared... heavy jacket and enough extra gear to make it tolerable. Maybe a name change is in order? "SeasonedandPrepared"? Sounds better and is a lot more accurate than Oldandintheway. :thumbsup:

My teeth actually chattered on the way down. It was freaking cold. :D

I ended up with 22 miles and 3200 feet...

IMG_2050 (1).jpg

______

Saturday was the big "Welcome Back to Dirt & Sell the Road Bike" ride for @mountaingirl sara . I started collecting the gang at 5:45, and by 6:15ish @Danimal , @herzalot , @Bill , and I were speeding up the 5 towards Sandberg. The way up was pretty uneventful, and we made really good time. I knew we'd pay for it on the way home.

Some of the gang was already there... @Mikie brought my crack delivery, so I'm set for another month or so. :thumbsup: I didn't take any pictures the whole day, but I'll say that it was a good group, and a really fun time...

The initial climb-up was quick for a social. Maybe it felt that way, because I was on the bike less than 12 hours prior. :confused: @Voodoo Tom , @UPSed and I were chatting the whole way... I find it's a lot easier to talk climbing on a geared bike. Wonder why? :p Fun time... After everyone rolled in, we did the group photo that @Mikie is taking to Fotomat. We should have it back in a week or two. :whistling:

As the group rolled out onto the single track, there was some talk of a missing man and a search party, but @scottay had the situation under control and knew where he was. :thumbsup: On the single track, I hung back and @Torrent77 and I made our way across. It was good to ride with him, and that cool Canfield of his... He gets the "Stick2It" award for the day for plugging on. We've all been in those shoes... :thumbsup:

The ride back down was fun, but a lot more controlled for me... I got to hang with @Danimal , @Jennifer, @buggravy- and that awesome bike of his. @SnakeCharmer , @Fueledbyex8 , @Sasquatch9billion were all in the mix... :thumbsup: The Moto trail (name?) was pretty cool and I would do that again. A little rougher and less refined than GE, with punchy little sections. Very cool. :thumbsup:

The final descent was a riot... As always. We formed a little mini conga line, and that actually made it even more fun. Strava be damned! :thumbsup:

Hanging out with the crew afterwards? Priceless... :thumbsup:

The drive home? It was slightly longer than @Mikie 's 20 minutes or @mountaingirl sara 's 30 minutes... Just slightly. :cautious:

Fun day... When's the next one at the Floop?

28. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Fun day for sure!!! Glad you made it out!
    Floop day soon:thumbsup:

mike, Tom the Bomb, scan and 7 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara Ford
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    Just a mini ride today to accompany my friend Connie who isn’t allowed to ride soloo_O
    Two e-bikers and two dirtbikers coming up the singletrack :gotnothing:
    I’m still daydreaming about the sweetness of yesterday’s ride/ hangout :inlove:

FD3FAE06-F007-4055-98AF-A2ECD1776653.jpeg

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Back to the rocks today after a wonderful day of flowy smooth singletrack yesterday.

5-Oaks, Cholla, Rock-It, Mathis, Car Wreck.

Bike was flawless. Quiet and about as well tuned as I can get it. The suspension felt great - starting to notice the difference the LuftwaffeKapernick makes on the little choppy stuff. And the brakes even worked this time! (Well, the front was hinting that it's time for a bleed). I can tell I am finally getting a little stronger too after my self-induced 3 month winter hiatus. Just in time to stop riding in favor of surfing. :confused:

Sunny, cool. Lots of hikers, but all polite and nobody in the way. I didn't even have to yell "STRAVA"! :whistling:

11.4 mi 1900'

(Well tuned) bikes are fun! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Want to donate to imtbtrails?