I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I really like Waterworks. Fun little diversion even with 1,200 of your closest, slowest, klutziest friends. :laugh:

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Usually only a few bikes, and never seen a hiker on it. Weekend special, no crowds.

Oh wait, uh, um, don't ride there. Way to many people and you're always having to stop for newbs and baby strollers. It really sucks....really. ....

3. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I know this is heresy around here, but what if Skypark's intended audience is e-bikers? Seriously, and non E-bikers are the outsiders, out of place and in the way. Maybe we ought to start getting used to that idea. It would solve their "pay $40 just to ride on dirt and no lift?" issue. If I was a ebiker I'd be there all the time since it seems one of the few fun (legal) places to ride* for e-bikes. And If I owned some land up there an e-bike park might make business sense, hmmm....

* I've still never ridden there, going off what other people say about it being fun

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I actually have no beef with ebikes. It just seems the majority of people that ride them are somewhat new to the sport and have no trail etiquette whatsoever. Imagine following someone down hill and blowing past them 10-15 mph faster than they're going. That is what's going on up hill!

herzalot, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  5. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I agree @UPSed, it's the differences in speed that causes problems, and those new to the sport who don't know the etiquette. Wonder if they get complaints. Seems they are kinda unique in that they probably get a lot of MTB newbs who are just up at Santas Village for a quick getaway and try out the biking while the kids do their thing. Now offer them e-bikes to rent to build up the business, based on fun factor for the day.... I imagine they will do what it takes to keep it safe. Maybe a separate climbing trail for e-bikes(?)

6. Derkderkall

Derkderkall Well-Known Member

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2012 Rockhopper 29
    Don't those things weigh like 50 lbs? It hurts enough getting a 30 lber bike land on me after a wipe out....

7. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    haha, that's what I say about fullerton loop so you yahoos won't come here and crowd the place up...
    oh never mind its already packed...

mike, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  8. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I was planning to do the Mt. Zion loop this morning but I couldn't find anyone who wasn't sold out of forest adventure passes so I cut my losses and cruised over to JPL to ride Brown/El P.

It's quite overgrown. I saw two Striped Whipsnakes, one of which had been killed by a cyclist earlier. There is a tree down blocking the trail half way up between the saddles on Brown Mtn trail. I have notified the proper party to have that taken care of. El Prieto is always fun but all the water crossings through there just destroy a clean bike. Something has got to be done about the reroute that has you rolling down the middle of the creek in a straight line for about 15-20'. I can hear my BB bearings rusting already. :rolleyes:

Lots of pretty wildflowers and not much traffic on the trails.

13.4 miles
    1973'

IMG_81531.JPG

IMG_81591.JPG

IMG_81621.JPG

Cisco Roots, mike, scan and 15 others like this.
  9. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Strawberry made me feel small
    IMG_20190618_090210.jpg

mike, Fueledbyex8, Faust29 and 15 others like this.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower/Yeti 5C
    "Hey Man! Are you Small?"
    "No Man... I'm Tall!"
    "Well, I'm gonna have to measure you..."
    -Steve Martin

11. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Let's get small... I did. And I liked it. :thumbsup:

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  12. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

One of the best all time imho!

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  13. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

My steel DH is not much shy of that...well over 40 I think...fortunately haven’t tested the above hypothesis...yet

mike, Mikie, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  14. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    After a 16 hour work day yesterday I woke up in a state of over it. Made a last minute decision to tell the boss I wouldn't be working this morning in favor of a ride. Since I'm self employed that decision was met with great support. Wanted to make sure my legs were under me for the @mountaingirl sara Invitational this weekend, and also that some tweaks to my bike were to my liking, so set out to hit a couple milestones that I keep barely missing. 20+ miles, and 3000+ feet climbing. Edison to Chesebro Ridge, up to Albertsons, then down Palo Comado, Sheep Corral, and Las Virgenes Canyon. The section of Chesebro Ridge between Sheep Corral and Albertsons was the only part I hadn't ridden before, and was a grind after all the climbing before it. Felt strong through. No HABs, no involuntary breaks, and only a couple dabs, each of which I went back and cleaned up before moving on. There's one climb on Sheep Corral that has been giving me trouble lately that I cleaned today (in all fairness it looked like the problematic entrance to the climb had been groomed a bit). Good fulfilling ride, though yet again I barely missed my distance goal. 19.5, 3359.

mike, Sassyquatch, Mikie and 14 others like this.
  15. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Great effort - and it's okay to ride around a parking lot or up and down the street to get that last half mile. :whistling:

mike, Sassyquatch, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. buggravy

buggravy Well-Known Member

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity The Smash
    The thought has definitely crossed my mind. I ended up at 19.9 on Backbone, but had already loaded up the bike when I realized it. Couldn't bring myself to unload the bike for a parking lot lap.

Mikie, mike, Sassyquatch and 9 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    No need! Just turn the Garmin on for the drive home... :thumbsup: :D

Well... I suggested to the single speed dynamic duo (@mtnbikej and @horsebikerider ) that we should climb Harding. Because they're both on a single speed, and therefore crazy, they agreed! :p I was the odd man out with gears and bouncy bits.

I almost missed them when they pulled into the parking lot, but it was quite entertaining as J unpacked the disassembled bikes from the back of the loaner car. You've probably seen an endless stream of clowns spilling out of the circus car? Quite similar... :D

I haven't been up Harding since early spring, when the water falls were out in full force. Now it's overgrown in quite a few spots, but the bugs really seem to like it... They also really liked my sun screen. I now know that flies can bite through Troy Lee gloves. :confused::eek:

Up to the 7 mile point of no return with a few stops here and there...

14 miles/2950 feet... Fun ride. :thumbsup:

Harding Christmas Tree... And my new friend- Harry
    IMG_2031.jpgIMG_2033.jpg

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

We’ll back up a little bit.....

Conversation went something like this....

@Faust29 :what do think about Harding on Tuesday or Weds.?
    Me: Weds. is better as Tuesday’s are my ride with Suz
    Faust: I think she needs to climb Harding on the SS
    Me:........(pauses).....She says OK.
    Faust: uh -oh
    Me: She says you better not show up on anything other than your SS
    Faust: blah, blah, blah, injury, blah, blah, blah

Yeah, loading 2 29ers in the back of a Jeep Compass is a PITA.

We started the climb up and @horsebikerider took off first.

Temps were warmer than we expected, but not bad at all.

Yeah, Harding Truck Trail is starting to look like Harding Singletrack in a lot of spots.

We just cruised. We would leap frog Suz along the way.

At Mile 3, Suz says....this is hard. I said your right, it’s right in the name. If it was easy, it would be Harding.

Steve and I pushed on to 5 mile turn. Suz rolled up a few mins later. “I’m done!”

After a few mins she says the next section isn’t that bad right? Ok, I’ll push on a little bit. 1/2 mile later she stops for a break. 7 mile PONR isn’t much farther right? Ok, we can turn around there.

Well the bugs got bad about mile 6.5
    I reached mile 7 PONR and rolled back to Suz instead of getting swarmed. She was at mile 6.75 and called it good.

Fun run back down.

She killed it.

Nice quiet night out there.

14 /3000’

FB716A7A-0606-45A4-9EEF-226F3942538E.jpeg 9579F7C6-0A60-4830-B6CA-D37C35270C14.jpeg
    C160FC6A-CDFD-422B-9CF8-5FF59FDE563B.jpeg

19. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    :Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao:Roflmao

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 4 others like this.
  20. horsebikerider

horsebikerider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Suzanne Martin
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy
    Thanks babe! This one is going to take some practice to do well and to be able to sustain longer miles and times of standing on the SS.:whistling:

21. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    2.5 miles, good elevation ratios, short and sweet.

22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    That's about my daily average, cruising around the fairgrounds on the Dahon.

23. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Perfect weather this morning! Pre-work solo ride started out great until I hit the beginning of Waterworks and saw a couple squares of what looked like fleece. No big deal, picked them up. Then saw a few more and more and more and more... I was getting pissed! Basically walked the entire length of WW picking up fleece squares and stuffing them in my pockets, feed bag... 26+ minutes! Probably 150+ pieces! Someone cut up an entire fleece blanket and just dropped pieces along the trail. Really weird, but whoever did this - you're a dick!!!

04A96157-AE31-4E86-8EF3-A68A18A6C330.jpeg

69AE6CC7-C492-4B0B-A331-87DE82D39675.jpeg

24. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Addict

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Thank you for that. Wash your hands and your pack.

25. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Is that the same as dropping pieces of bread to find you way back?:oops:

26. kingaucho

kingaucho Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    LOL! Shoot, there's someone lost there now. I'll go look for Hansel and Gretel later. I may bring a baseball bat to point the way! :)

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Up 14 miles of Clear Creek Trail, from desert to pines to the Tahoe Rim at Spooner Summit. Then Tahoe Rim Trail South, aiming for the 10-mile descent that is Sierra Canyon Trail. Hoping; unsure what snow conditions would look like.

Above 8000' and a couple miles from Sierra Canyon, I got to a north-facing section of the trail that was completely obscured by snow. (Just slightly past the headwaters of Glenbrook Creek.) At that point a mostly snow free primitive jeep trail cut steeply up left, so I pushed up that until it joined FR 41036, also mostly snow free and gushing like a creek, trending DH toward the TRT and Sierra Canyon. After overshooting the trail I backtracked to where it discreetly crosses the road.

IMG_2462.jpg

A short distance later began the main event, dropping the massive canyon on fast ST.

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

A fun run down, a little unknown thrown in, and a good workout. Used my Steripen twice to purify ground water. This would be a good year to invest in one... Felt good pedaling the ~8 road miles back to my car. 6:50/38/4100

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at   6.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at   6.34 PM.png

Cisco Roots, bvader, ~JB~ and 19 others like this.
  28. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    Rode the Penasquitos mini tour that included Tunnel #4 with my son in law Sunday. The tunnel was a trip! 13.7 mi. 1257 elev.
    Marshall Bomb with Nikkel Pikkel. hauling the mail baby! 10.13 mi. 1510 elev.

29. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Tunnels was one of my favorite trail areas. Unfortunately they've closed most of them.. :(

On the plus side, I rode whiting again today and added a a few extra miles. On the way in noticed that the parks Dept put up a new sign! Yeah! About time.

On the way down had a bike on my ass and moved over just to be passed by an ebike pedaling like mad. His buddy behind me got to wait for me to finish the run before passing.

Fun ride! but took a little spill and have a scrape on my arm and sore finger.. What'ev....

IMG_20190620_162807638.jpg

Mikie, ~JB~, mike and 12 others like this.
  30. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    That's some weird S##t!
    Maybe to keep the gnomes warm at night?

Mikie, kingaucho, mike and 4 others like this.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?