I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Out and back on Harding this AM. First one up... first one out :) Some event going on at the Nature Preserve... guys with safety vests directing parking. Needless to say it was crowded when I got back down :) Trail has dried out substantially. Very little water with the exception of the Billy Bulldozer Reservoir at mile 7.5 (which now can be skirted on the downhill side). The Harding waterfalls have dried up to trickles. Only one was even slightly audible. No one at Four Corners. A little breezy... but not too bad.

18.5 3400'

Grego, Cyclotourist, ricke24 and 9 others like this.
  2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Yesterday rode STT-Whiting. Whiting is now open except for Borego and Mustard. Talked to a ranger and they expect it to be from 1-6 months before repairs are done. Quite a few folks doing trail work, made a point to thank all of them, and it's looking pretty good.

Today rode 3 loops of Waterworks then back to RSM. Fun ride and talked to a lot of happy Mtb'ers doing the same.

Bikes are fun for Sure!

Cyclotourist, Grego, ricke24 and 11 others like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    Rode my bike last night and again this morning.
    Last night was my local loop at home. Up May Canyon, across Santa Clara divide and down Wilson Canyon in Sylmar.
    E21CFCC4-8781-43B4-9599-316149F9C8E0.jpeg

This morning headed out to Tapia to do a couple of laps.
    E1D480C9-3318-4C6A-9117-D9069404A106.jpeg

No pain no gain? I’m tired. Time for a nap.

Cyclotourist, Grego, ricke24 and 12 others like this.
  4. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley V4 & DV9
    My wife’s friend was in Newport so we drove up for the weekend. I rode Aliso-LCWP with a few buddies this morning. 5 Oaks, Cholla, Stair Steps, Willow, TnA, Stairsteps and TOTW to Meadows and back out. 7 am start and it warmed up quickly. It was pretty toasty up on the ridge. You can tell the trails have been closed for a while because I think everyone in Orange County was out riding or hiking. Came across this little hiking group at the top of Stairsteps. 18.5/3,250 feet.

B593694F-F309-4FA9-A136-FA4476AC7772.jpeg 248C7082-2CE7-4D81-B2E8-4A41EB6B6212.jpeg C1222523-6E30-4BAC-B70D-E66F07F3A5FE.jpeg 512970E6-8179-4109-A21D-79CA96D23065.jpeg

Cyclotourist, Grego, ricke24 and 13 others like this.
  5. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
  6. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Near ranger ridge.. lots of bushwackin..kinda fun..floatin on green mustard plants...

20190316_162838.jpg

Cyclotourist, Grego, ricke24 and 11 others like this.
  7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Holy carp what a zoo!!! :gag:

8. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Cant see the trail...
    Raptor ridge.. faultline..all rideable but itchy n scratchy...worth it...

20190316_161747.jpg

9. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    '15 Tracer and/or Who Knows?
    We do not need a repeat of last year's tall-vegetation-based fatality. :thumbsdown:

11. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Bronson
    And just like that, moist soil turned to sand with ball bearing gravel and the walrus slid head-first into second around a tight turn. Blood and sand, Tyrone Power treats the god of the hills to a spring sacrifice. Born to be wild...

12. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    We talked about that on the ride today... the overgrowth is insane.

We ended up cutting the death march down to 37/5300. @konakc - Did we pass you today?

The Hightower was not happy with all of the water crossings today. She sounded like a rusty lawn chair.

The last minute is the worst overgrowth...

13. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    Easy ride with Nick and Rusty today. Nick hasn't ridden in like forever so he kinda hates me but he does look good wearing my jersey.
    IMG_8920.jpg

Cyclotourist, MolarM, Grego and 19 others like this.
  14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    18.5 miles in Aliso? That's got to be some kind of record :)

I think it was the same everywhere. We went whale watching yesterday... tons of people in Dana Point. Went to Laguna Beach for dinner... tons of people in Laguna Beach (worst I have ever experienced in 23 years). Even this morning on Harding - on my way back down I saw two separate groups of hikers past mile 6... which is well past the normal turnaround at the springs and the lookout at mile 5.75. The typical wilderness barrier was not working so well to keep the crowds down :)

15. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Cruise around Sycamore Canyon with Jennifer. She's doing so much better now that she's figuring out how her allergens are affecting her asthma. She can't eat anything but at least she can breathe! Now just a matter of her getting back in shape. What a wonderful day!
    20190317_174720.jpg 20190317_174603-1878x1757.jpg 20190317_174648-2074x2074.jpg IMG_20190317_135001_866.jpg

Cyclotourist, Stkx66, Grego and 17 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'm thinking he really intended a different finger for you. Good self control! The kid's gonna go places :thumbsup:

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sunday Death March was more like a normal ride today.

Plan was Tour de Chino Hills 50.

Pre-dawn start....temps bottomed out at 34*. Lots of water crossings on Lower Aliso. @Faust29 drivetrain got contaminated quick. About 3o mins in I remembered I forgot to change out my rear pads....I'd do a lot of braking with just the front today. Going up Southridge the overgrowth out there showed up, but not too bad. All the way down to Diemer wasn't an issue. Started back up Telegraph and the geared chains were creaking and squeaking.

At Sycamore, I made the suggestion of pouring water on it....turns out it worked. Steve's chain quieted right up. Climbing up Sycamore it was pretty thick. You could still see the dirt, so we continued on. Across Northridge was in good shape. Made the extra credit out to the gate...yeah, not much traffic out that way as we rode through grass 2' tall.

Head back down to 4 Corners. This was the first ST and it was pretty slow going...but again, not horrible. Did an out and back on Bovinian....not horrible. Rolled right into Raptor on return. It was really thick before the 1st switchback. Pushed on. It would get a little better until the climb up to the towers. It started getting bad. Faultline down was bad. Constant knuckle busting...and slow. At the bottom we abandoned going up Upper Aliso/Sidewinder to Bane Ridge. Lower Aliso to the ranger station looked like Aliso Wood on a Saturday morning....never seen that many peeple out there. I refer to them as Poppy People.

At the campground refilling water, it was apparent how many "Poppy People" were out there....as witnessed by the steady stream of hikers going up Bane Ridge. The horse camping area was also filled with parked cars. So much different than when we came in this morning.

Headed up Scully Ridge with a extra credit out and back detour to the top of Bobcat Meadow. Back on Scully Ridge it quickly deteriorated. The overgowth was easily shoulder high, and at time over our heads. We were no longer riding on dirt. We even stopped for a group of horses. Inside the bush it was warm and humid. The farther we went, the worse it got. Even the downhill at the end was much slower than usual.

Back along the RR tracks to the park. Best part of the day....last little gravel climb up to the neighborhood, the Professor bobbed and weaved on the climb cutting off a lady on an ebike. I was already walking in the gravel....said I could clean this climb if I had an ebike as she went by....Josh cut her off, she stopped and had to push that heavy beast up the rest of the hill. Please note I said a lady on an ebike....not a rider....she was not a cyclist.

IMG_4651.JPG IMG_4652.JPG

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Maple Springs-Motorway with old pal @coolbreeze. 7:30am start, we even got a spot in the parking lot. Cool going up, a little wind here and there, no bugs for us. Talked to vinosteep (old str guy) at 4 corners for a bit, he was headed to Joplin, said it was in good shape just last week, maybe a couple slides to walk. Last time I did this loop was 2012 and now I remember why I love it so much to go back again after almost 7 years, it's that "wall" thing :gag: Motorway was a bit rockier than my last time on it in December. Both slides are ride-able, slowly.

New to me bike was awesome. Climbs good, creak from the cassette is gone, seatpost stays up. Confidence inspiring on the downs... turns before you tell it to, and the thing loves to drift the tight loose corners :thumbsup: The SRAM Guide brakes were fine, good power, no fade, no noise. Fork is still a work in progress, not harsh at all but not getting alot of travel even with 10psi under the recommended and ramp and compression all the way out. Think I need to contact the MRP guru @sir crashalot. Kinda drooling over converting it to coil, just a half pound penalty....

Pic from main divide looking east, Lake Mathews on the left, San Berdos and Jacinctos in background. Phone camera sucks but the orange poppies against the green hills was jaw dropping, I even stopped on a downhill to take pictures, it was that good
    20190317_101942.jpg

4C with cool breeze, San Gabes in background
    20190317_100305.jpg

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    You guys and your crowds today. I didn't wait longer than 3 minutes in any lift line. Not crowded at all.

Cyclotourist, ricke24, Redman and 6 others like this.
  20. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    2 small rides, 1 bigger ride this weekend. Friday i tested out Turtle Ridge near Bommer for a quick loop. IRC rerouted the steep switch backs and made them longer / easier. It was done faultless but i kind of liked those challenging switch backs. Perhaps they didnt hold the water that well.
    Saturday we did Open Acces Day in Bommer. Shady Oaks was closed so we stayed on the Bommer side. Ridge trail was fun, East fork was as steep as always. Trails were in good shape. Loads of people out, all having a good time and that is the main thing. Everyone was friendly.
    Today a bigger loop and I wanted to test out Serrano ridge. That fireroad is in very good shape and the flowers were beautiful there. I saw a hawk flying just above me :thumbsup:

246BC6F0-507E-48C2-AD31-0AED88E8ECDD.jpeg

1AE65478-D2FF-4E87-BC6B-4AC7054207E5.jpeg

BDD37452-7731-46BF-8E16-D0A2AABF74D8.jpeg

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    GG Trail Pistol!
    Next thing I know you'll be buying an eBike....:p

22. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    I was totally thinking of that guy.
    I was alone.. if u fell even 5 feet from raptor trail.. no one would see you..if u passed out....i normally ride w crew on sat am but latley just cant get out bc of kids n wife started workin...what can u do..i hafta ride....

23. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    I rode yesterday... didnt see too many riders..tons of hikers!

mountaingirl sara and Faust29 like this.
  24. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Poppy people galore..
    I tried to avoid them by going on ranger ridge vs bane but they were everywhere..all good..kinda funny.. i did some 2 inch jumps n downhill speed and they were oohing n haainnng...

25. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ahhh... We passed someone quick today, but he commented on Jason's IMTB jersey...

26. CBone

CBone Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer

27. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
    LCWP this fine Sunday was the spot for me. Started at ridge park and punctured my rear tire about 389 yards into my ride. Super! Plugged it, pumped it and carried on. Lizards to laurel to Camarillo stagecoach to willow. Bommer out to cow trail. Out and back on cow then back to bommer. Old Emerald down and HAB out on emerald falls. Over to missing link Fenceline and out. Great day for a ride. I started at 11 am, not too many peeps on the trails, temperature was just fright. What a glorious day it was!

8E95021B-50B6-42F1-9281-8561A444D531.jpeg

28. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    I know what jason looks like!
    N just remember my singing voice faust!

29. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Nice route! How was Emerald Falls? Could you go down it or a bit too rutted?

30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    What does skiing and snowboarding have to do with e-bikes? Are you equating the use of a chairlift for snow sliding sports the same as an e-bike?
    How dare you sir!

C'mon out and take 20 runs with me! :sneaky: or else :speechless: with your e-bike comments...:mad:

(;))

Want to donate to imtbtrails?