I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Nevermind... this sign is at the peak on Main Divide. Took me a while to remember it :)

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 3 others like this.
  2. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    Very cool! Did you answer the "what are your emergency plans" thread?

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 6 others like this.
  3. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Santiago Peak Snow Ride Adventure:

Started seeing snow 1/2 of the way on the so called paved section. When I got to the 4.25 miles point it was 1 t0 3 inches of snow all the way up. At 1 1/2 miles from the peak it got deeper. This was before it started snowing. Found it hard to ride in this snow. Tires just dug in instead of rolling on. Hike a Biked it almost all the way up to the peak figured it would be a fair price to pay for the fun ride down. Didn't work out that way. Started snowing 1 1/2 miles from the peak where it was coming down Heavy. When I started heading back down the tires just dug in, would not roll. No problem. was wearing micro spikes, made good time going down to the saddle. This is where the fun began. At the peak, temp dropped to 19.5 degrees and it didn't warm up much till I got back to the pavement. The return saddle segment is up hill. It reminded me of Blackstar's Hidden Ranch in the rain where the mud will clog up your wheels so bad you can't even push your bike. It was just like that, only with frozen snow and ice instead of mud. It was quite a labor getting through that section. At one point I started to have a hard time walking. I realized I had 3 inches of ice stuck to the bottom of my feet. Was hoping it would be easy to go down Main Divide to 4 Corners, it wasn't. At 4 Corners 6 inches of snow. Finally I got to ride down the last 5 miles. That indeed was a lot of fun. I was well prepared and never felt cold. even with miles and miles of walking with snow and ice encased feet it was not a problem. Thought I might get a couple of blisters but that didn't happen. The one thing I regret is when the battery when dead on my cell phone I didn't have a back up camera. The scenes of the snowpocalyspe on lower Maple Springs were awesome.

20190221_161144.jpg

20190221_120324.jpg

20190221_171622.jpg

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Grego and 26 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Freaking AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Hmmm... Might need the fat tires. This doesn't look like a job for Minions.

6. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Hats off to you Old&InTheWay. You're hardcore! Where the average guy quits you keep going.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 10 others like this.
  7. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I am so stoked to see a lot more riders getting out into the great white silence.
    Today was relatively balmy with 36° up top and toasty 41° in the sun.
    I think I'm getting used to this stuff!

littlewave, Mikie, Grego and 9 others like this.
  8. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike Belda
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    2750B85C-9F55-496E-ADBA-1360E1F6C82E.jpeg Went up Maple Springs today, had to do some sampling after seeing what came down yesterday. A lot of it is already gone. I was tight on time, but wanted to get up there. Could only get about five miles in, so don’t know what four corners looks like. It got down to 32* at 4:30. This pic was taken in a small, shady spot which had the most snow that I came across. But the rideability of the trail/road is fine. It was a beautiful day to be on the bike, just wish there was more time

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    Climbed Monroe TT. The creek bottom is a rock strewn, waterlogged, log hopping, hike a biking, mostly unrideable riot. From there to Punk Out it's in perfect shape.
    20190223_101641.jpg

Above there, though, it's mostly
    20190223_104112.jpg

Saw a bit of snow in shady spots starting around 3,150 ft; mush in the sun.
    20190223_112300.jpg

So I went up GRR a bit to hit 3,000 feet of gain and descended GMR. Fun ride. :cool::thumbsup:
    3533.jpeg

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Social cruise with my buddy Tony. Mostly buff singletrack with beautiful greenery. :D

20190223_073140-2016x1512.jpg 20190223_083402-2016x1512.jpg 20190223_092433-2016x1512.jpg 20190223_092437-2016x1512.jpg 20190223_092444-2016x1512.jpg 20190223_100416-2016x1512.jpg 20190223_100526-2016x1512.jpg IMG_20190223_135013_700.jpg

11. Danmtchl

Danmtchl Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon 27.5
    Beautiful view with a big jump!!8BD62CCF-C4DA-4563-A165-876F329847EF.jpegA3217BF3-AF5F-47CC-A5E6-FCC98E6ED345.jpeg

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    Saturday Maple Springs Snow Play Day.

7:00 roll time....saw this:
    IMG_4561.JPG

It felt colder. Geared up and rolled with @Faust29 . Early start means we got out in front of the masses that would be out when it got, you know.....warmer.

Well, we started seeing snow on the side of the road just past the second water crossing. Snow was appearing on the road well before the end of the pavement. A couple of sections of black ice. Temps actually warmed up a little bit by the end of the pavement. Once in the dirt, I was burning up as we reached the first guardrail. Shed the windbreaker, thermal base layer and cold weather gloves. 30* and I was comfortable going short sleeves.

The dirt was dry in a lot of spots, then we started back into the shaded areas and the snow was thick. By the time we reached the turn at the spring, we were dealing with 3" of snow/ice. This would be the least amount of snow the rest of the way up. The last mile or so we got into some slushy areas, some spots were frozen, some were not.

IMG_4562.JPG

Just below 4 Corners, the snow got deeper and deeper. It was difficult to pedal through.....found myself walking quite a bit of it.....
    IMG_4563.JPG
    IMG_4564.JPG

After a break at 4 Corners we were unsure of how bad the climb to the Peak would be based on what we just dealt with. Main Divide out to Modjeska Peak actually wasn't bad....some trucks had driven out there and cut a pair of lines to ride in. It was all good as long as you stayed within those lines. The climb out to Modjeska Peak went by kinda quick.

Another break, we decided not to push onto Santiago Peak....riding through the fluffy stuff burned me up.
    IMG_4565.JPG IMG_4566.JPG IMG_4567.JPG

We headed up Main Divide a little bit then went exploring below Modjeska Peak. Stopped my the seismic equipment to gear up for the ride back down. Sitting down a rock, temps were downright warm.

IMG_4568.JPG

Clear skies....clear views.....
    IMG_4570.JPG IMG_4569.JPG

The ride back down was beyond awesome. From Modjeska Peak back to 4 Corners was a giant slip and slide. You would be going fast in a straight line, then all of a sudden, not be going straight. Back at 4 Corners, you could see the snow was melting in the warmer temps.

Back down Maple Springs the sections of snow we had to HAB through were just a mish/mash of 6-8" of rutted snow and slush. Don't even try to hold a line.....it was worse that riding through deep sand. Lots of close calls....almost dumped it a few times. Lots of riders coming up by now. It was a blast descending through the sections of snow. Some areas were completely melted. Other sections were just wet. Saw @MegaLurker and @bvader on the dirt and @MattB on the pavement. Still a couple spots of black ice on the way back down.

Those that started later missed out on some great conditions. Late starters would be dealing with a lot of slush and mud.

What a freaking awesome day on the mountain.

13. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Ok... no Irish looking hillsides, and no giant jumps... But we did see a shitload of snow! Mid 20s most of the way up the pavement at 7:00, with patches of ice here and there. We started seeing the remnants of the snow that @Old&InTheWay saw the other day. It got pretty deep before Four Corners, and we (@mtnbikej ) ended up hiking through some of it. We ran into TB (Really fast guy... up and down) at Four Corners and chatted for a bit with him and his friend. They descended Harding, while we made our way up to Modjeska Peak. There were truck tracks, so it was rideable as long as we stayed in the tracks. Otherwise it would have been a hike... Probably 8 inches deep. A little extra credit out towards true Modjeska, and then a toboggan run down from Four Corners. What a riot.

We ended up running into @MegaLurker , @bvader , and @MattB before we got to the bottom... They were on the late crew. I will say that the temps were a lot nicer for the late starters. There may be something to that...

Downhill antics start at 2:16:00 with the fast toboggan run from Modjeska to Four Corners. The part below Four corners is my favorite. That was a riot...

20 miles and 3400 feet.

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    Your laughter tells the whole story! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

A run for the ages!!!

15. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    :laugh:
    That laugh":laugh: that was funny to watch, and very interesting to see you guys pedal through that snow that looks tuff !! TFPU:thumbsup: cool video as usual gentlemen.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:

It was just as much work going down as it was climbing.

17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 SC Megaplower
    It'll be great when this pops up in the picture slot machine in July or August!

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Steve, you deserve a salute – first-tracks master! :thumbsup::notworthy: TFPU!!!

19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I haven't been up to Modjeska since the fire... and it looks like Bulldozer Bill bulldozed all the trees and bushes around the Modjeska towers(?) It looks like a parking lot! :(

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    LOL!!!! Excellent, guys :thumbsup::thumbsup:

21. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Today was a day of paradox. I got a hall pass to do a weekend solo or fellas snowboarding trip, but other circumstances conspired against it, and I was pretty salty about this. Knowing I could get out for a ride helped. Humbling climbs and some navigational errors made for some frustrations, but I really had a great day. Finally, it was a bitter reminder that being in good shape, and being in good mountain biking shape are two different things. Decided to his the Las Virgenes Open Space again, but an area I hadn't ridden before. My Strava ended up looking ridonk. My intended route was to be El Escorpion to Upper England out to and down Switzerland, back up to England to loop back and come down Ireland, then the fire road from there back to the trail head. Got turned around in the labyrinth at El Escorpion, and ended up getting boxed out after half a mile or so. Turned around and ended up back on the road that I was afraid would take me to the Victory trailhead, which it did indeed. Took that down to England with the idea to pick back up on my plan from there, but somehow missed the turn off to Switzerland and ended up just coming down Ireland (which was spectacular and fun). Decided to make the climb UP Switzerland so I could retrace my steps and see where I went wrong for the next time. That was nothing short of a death march, which I knew it would be, but it killed me for the rest of the ride. I went backwards from there instead of coming down Switzerland, but man the descent on that looks like a blast. It needs to be ridden more too, as it's pretty overgrown. Ended the day with a measly 9 miles, and 1700 climbing. Going to try for a midweek lap this week to go down Switzerland now that I have my bearings with the navigation. I'm a sucker for poppies, and they were in full effect. Good day.

IMG_5052.jpg

22. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, blue one, black one
    That was awesome, great job fellas:thumbsup:. Jason in shorts and a short sleeve jersey riding thru the snow:Roflmao.

23. MegaLurker

MegaLurker Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2011 Specialized S-Works 29er
    Yea great day on Maple, it had been a few years since I’d ridden in snow there. A solid 55 at the start, and made it thru the first few water crossings without getting my feet wet unlike last week. Ended up seeing some black ice about 1/4 mile from end of pavement, leaned back expecting the back wheel slip... out comes the front wheel and down I go. Funny how much harder ice is than asphalt falling from a bike.

Great conditions on the dirt. @mtnbikej and @Faust29 gave me fair warning on the snow below 4c. Really struggled on the SS getting a good line and getting the back wheel to grip. HAB’d the last couple straights up to 4c. The ride back down wasn’t much easier... but once I hit some consistent dirt I felt like I was ripping.

6A162078-F45C-4A7D-B49E-E39C4B59D5E5.jpeg

16EE8DD0-181F-4360-8B7F-86650F3B7AB4.jpeg

24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    I think I took essentially this same photo last week. That's the start of a fun section. Is it still super wet at the bottom? I will say that seeing your posts from the same area on the same days as me is not good for my ego. Nice ride!

25. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Thanks! It wasn't wet at all. Just a few little stream crossings pedaling out to Bell Canyon/Las Virgenes fire road. Too bad there's no easy way to get to Ireland/Switzerland/England.

26. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Spectacular! That looks so fun I can't help but wonder if some of that will still be there tomorrow. Maybe up at the peak? Well done guys.:thumbsup:

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    GG The Smash, Ibis DV9
    Might be a good thing. It was so crowded close to the Victory trailhead, not surprisingly, but only saw one person on both Ireland and Switzerland.

28. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro

Thanks, Mike . Love that virgin snow. :)

20190221_170616.jpg

29. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Fun day in the northern CNF. Didn't find heavy snow but did find some real steep chit. Pucker factor in effect.
    ZTMckbe0ddNnoSWKH9G47FqCTEspn9R8seJM7U1banY-2048x1536b.jpg

30. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    Big Black 29er
    I ride my bike through Millard camp site today. The camp cat says what’s up...

A43880CB-D68F-4A1A-A1DA-4062E3FB800F.jpeg

Want to donate to imtbtrails?