I Rode My Bike Today...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by herzalot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Redman

Redman Well-Known Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Nomad CC 27.5
  2. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I cruised up Blackstar yesterday afternoon after being off the bike for days. There was only one place that I had to ride through water/ mud. Mud collected on my tires and took along time for the caked mud to dry and fall off. No one in sight for most of the ride except for a few hikers at the start of the ride plus another 2 riders I passed on the way back down. 16 mi/ 2200 elevation

0B6DE1BF-B0AB-407C-A682-2004CCDAA1C1.jpeg

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Tallboy Upgrade
    After work ride at Sycamore Canyon (Riverside version). Man it is sooooo beautiful out there! First time riding the area in a looooong time, and I had a great time with my co-worker. There was a high school team out doing laps, and a bunch of other riders as well. Must be crazy on the weekend! Good stuff!!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2133300895

46980697752_84dd07eaca_b.jpg

Evoracer, DBMX119, Grego and 19 others like this.
  4. evdog

evdog Well-Known Member

Name:
    Evan S
    Sunset ride after work

165150.jpg

171910.jpg

173028.jpg

174103.jpg

174418.jpg

Grego, Mikie, Danimal and 19 others like this.
  5. hill^billy

hill^billy Well-Known Member

Name:
    hill^billy

Wow to me that shadow pic looks like it has a face!?

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 4 others like this.
  6. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    Beautiful pics!

Mikie, mike, Tom the Bomb and 4 others like this.
  7. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Thanks for posting that video. It is thrilling when snow falls behind the Orange Curtain :thumbsup:20190205_115946.jpg

20190205_135205.jpg

Grego, Danimal, Luis and 15 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Stef
    Current Bike:
    3 SC is now 2 SC.
    Another day to play in the snow! @SnakeCharmer was right... The snow supply in the Santa Anas has been replenished, and @mtnbikej and I were there to see it live. :p

30s most of the way up with frozen patches to play on... Yeah, I might have slipped the back end more than once. :oops: We hit rain a couple miles up, but it quickly turned to snow about a mile before Four Corners. It kept getting heavier and thicker from there... On the last leg up to Modjeska, it was coming down as huge flakes. Nice accumulation in spots. Mid 20s at Modjeska... Brrrrrrr chilly. :thumbsup:

We bundled up to come back down, but it wasn't enough for the slush... Aside from the frozen feet and hands, the feeling of having a slushie in my shorts was pretty eye opening. :p:D

18.5 miles and 3300 feet.

Back at the cars, we ran into @Stkx66 and @Old&InTheWay who were on their way up...

9. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Snake"
    Current Bike:
    Vassago/Trek
    I did a local fire road tour today, mid day. The route was Cherry/GSC/Beaudry North/Verdugo Motorway/Whiting Woods. It was a bit brisk but the cool temps also kept me from overheating and that put me in a good spinning mode. I had to ride one section of ST to get down off the San Raphael Hills after passing through Cherry Canyon and it had many slides, most of which I could roll over or get around. There was one that required HB, though. Once I got across the valley and over to the Verdugos, I could see right away that Beaudry North took some abuse from the recent storm. About 3/4 the way up is a tremendous slide. The biggest I have ever seen on the Verdugos. Somewhere near 100' long and completely covering the fire road. That one required careful crossing with bike high up in arms to clear the obstacle course of debris mixed into the slide. The views were spectacular with the clean air from the rain this morning and the hero dirt is renewed once again if not a bit too moist. Lots of gravel bikes out on the dirt today. I am seeing more and more of them. The traction coming down Whiting Woods was unreal. :cool:

16.60 miles
    3061' gain
    1480 calories

...and I am starving! :laugh:

IMG_7123.JPG

bvader, Grego, DangerDirtyD and 12 others like this.
  10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Easy peasy break in ride for Jennifer's new bike. Space Mountain after a 1/2" of rain last night and a couple of heavy showers right before we left JRA. A little mud here and there but otherwise perfect conditions. A whopping 9 miles and 1500' of awesomeness!

20190209_120348-2016x1512.jpg 20190209_113755-2016x1512.jpg 20190209_105419-3024x2268.jpg 20190209_112241-1612x1209.jpg 20190209_112227-1612x1209.jpg 20190209_102807-1612x1209.jpg

11. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb Well-Known Member

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    Niner rip 9
    A little bit of Itchy scratchy in my life a little bit a Webb canyon on my bike ohh ah ohh ohh oh ha!
    After the rains Webb middle is a bit narrrrrrly! Kurt and I no Mech, no crashes, rolled the waterfall, cleaned the face! Balllllllz baby!

12. hill^billy

Name:
    hill^billy
    Jenifer and that, I got the Sh!t pic! That grin says it all about your awesomely bad self! YAH BABY!

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Sooooo, I was glad that @trailslayer's birthday ride got rescheduled since I wasn't looking forward to riding in the cold/rain/snow/wet/mud. Instead I went out this morning with @Faust29 and rode in the cold/rain/snow/wet/mud. :facepalm:

It was supposed to be a Maple Springs / Motorway loop. 7:30 roll time. Knew it was going to rain about 8:00. Well we passed by 8:00 and no rain. Then about 8:45 it started to drizzle. That didn't last long. It quickly moved on to frozen rain/sleet. Within a few minutes the sleet had changed to snow.

By the time we got to 4 Corners it the snow was blowing sideways. It was cold, but not horrible. Decided to head out to Modjeska Peak and more snow. The flakes were huge. Totally different experience.

Riding back down my shins were getting cold with the splash of water. Put on my knee warmers back at 4 Corners.

Lots of the new snow was melting/melted by the time we headed down. Made for a wet, slushy, muddy mess.

Ran into @Stkx66 and @Old&InTheWay starting their rides as we got back to the cars.

Incredible day on the bike.

bvader, DangerDirtyD, Grego and 16 others like this.
  14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J M
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Then this afternoon, by design @horsebikerider wanted to go for a ride. She wanted to ride the SS. So we headed back out to Maple Springs.

The goal was the end of the pavement. Well she made it there without trouble, so we pushed on to the first guardrail. A couple turns up to get an even 4 miles.

Quick run back down.

8 / 1550'

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash
    Thanks for posting up the hardcore action, riders...sufferlicious!!!

16. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Oh yeah! My daughters tennis got cancelled bc of..the rain! So the only place that i could ride? Maple springs.. then continued to motorway..excellent shape.. lots of water.. then ice..then snow! Butt cold... like really butt got cold ..hands too..forgot my gloves.. but trusty riding partner had an extra pair! Running out of daylight..
    We live in the best mtbk heaven!

20190209_142353.jpg

20190209_141036.jpg

17. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Running out of daylight

20190209_153800.jpg

18. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    2015 Giant XTC Advanced 1 29er
    I just noticed that rock...it's moved several times in the last few years. :Roflmao

19. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    That rock was in the middle of road by 3pm...

20. Stkx66

Stkx66 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve Boudreaux
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    7:30 am. In cold weather I ride in Kuhl zip off long outdoor pants knowing how cold it gets at the top of Maple Springs. Looking for added warmth I ripped apart my closet and all I could find was Docker pajamas. Soft, draw string who's gonna' know? I put them on under my Kuhl pants. 8:00 am it down pours at my house. Hmm. 9:00 am blue skies off to the west. Ha! I'm outa here. I removed clutter from my truck and drove to the tree farm. I put on my red blinky tail light and peddled away towards Maple Springs. Those pajamas under my pants... I might as well be riding in tight blue jeans. I cranked away and ran into Old&InTheWay getting ready to start his ride. Now " he's " got it going on. He has layers of clothing, heavy duty lights and a huge backpack with more clothes and water. Old&InTheWay is ready to spend the night out on the trail if need be. Talk about being prepared! Shortly after I ran into two happy smiling riders..MtnbikeJ and Faust29 who had finished their rides. I continued on and made it to the first guard rail and decided to turn around. 18.56 mi 2,295 elevation.

0DBDC774-4620-44AF-828D-2B1028C23137.jpeg

21. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Hey..i think i met one of u guys on maple springs! U said u had just done motorway on tuesday...
    Yes it was in awesime shape!
    Kc!

22. Old&InTheWay

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    Saturday's convergence of members of the OC chapter of imtbtrails.com on Maple Springs was a good thing. :thumbsup: Saw @Stkx66 @Faust29 @mtnbikej and also Jeremy on this way to Motorway. :cool: Having been fortunate to do a memorable M.S. Motorway loop on Tuesday it was now time to attempt getting up to Santiago Peak to see how much snow was up there. It was 42 degrees when I got started but soon jumped up to 62 degrees on the pavement section of M.S. Had to take off some layers. When I got to the dirt the temp. started dropping real fast. 33 degrees at 4 Corners. Between there and the end of the saddle a lot, but not all , of the snow and ice had melted . Above 5000 ft. snow and ice were plentiful. The last 1/2 mile before the peak the snow was up to 4 inches. The temperature was now 24 degrees. Glad I had my Outdoor Research Alti gloves cause I needed them. Bikskiing back down on the crunchy snow was so much fun. It made the effort to get up there worth it. :):)
    25 miles 4150 feet

20190209_161905.jpg

20190209_170537.jpg

20190209_180009.jpg

23. Old&InTheWay

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    On the way to 4 corners I talked to most of the 10 people that I encountered. I was thinking that I may have met you but didn't know it. That's Great!!:thumbsup: Was that at the first guardrail?

24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed Bottorff
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Aborted attempt to get a dry ride in. While waiting for Jennifer to decide whether she wanted to go or not another cell was moving in. She decided to be smart and go to Core Barre so I geared up and was hoping to get to Tower 45 before the rain. I made half way before it started to sprinkle. I pressed on for a couple of minutes then decided it wasn't worth having to spend the afternoon cleaning my bike. Most of the fire road is fine in the rain but there are a few sections of clay that will stop you dead in your tracks. It started to really rain once I got back to the pavement so I'm glad I turned around when I did. There's always tomorrow.

IMG_20190210_110557_987.jpg

25. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam

Pareidolia is a pretty cool phenomenon!

26. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Awesome to see everyone getting out in this marginal weather!

Dockers PJs as layering...hmmm

:thumbsup:

27. pperrelle

pperrelle Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripmo, Ripley & Tranny
    Rode Daley Ranch with a buddy this morning. It’s mostly DG and rock and handles the rain very well. Only came across a fire puddles that were easy to ride around. A little chilly at the start but a perfect sunny day otherwise. 13 miles/2,200 feet of hero dirt.
    EFAA3EE3-1680-469E-8108-6F703210AC29.jpeg 44D9A2EC-9F79-435C-99F3-1CBE4243711B.jpeg FB959051-0B94-40F8-A197-244423E93DF9.jpeg

28. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Member

Name:
    Sam
    Quick rainy Hulda Crooks run with my buddy from the PNW...musta brought the weather in his carry-on!

Smashy loved smashing the puddles...metal fo’ life! (Bike and music (prog for me)!)

Well...until I break down and get the plastic...it’s inevitable....

29. konakc

konakc Well-Known Member

Name:
    kc
    Yeah we were the two knucleheads w o helmets.. we dont know how to ride in the cold so got too hot..

Faust29, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  30. Grego

Grego iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Haven't rode in two weeks. After seeing the snow in previous reports, Vince and I decided to get some. Up Maple Springs with occasional light rain drizzle. A casual climb no one else out. My thermal gloves, socks, mask, windbreaker and many layers kept me plenty warm. At Four Corners the snow was gone. Kept climbing to Modjeska. Before the turn we got what we were looking for. Didn't have the time for Santiago Peak so we called it there and turned around. Glad to get a ride in.
    gT-DoeAzLLcDjqZwt-6d7vr3nNw28STxWai_Tvl9kZA-2048x1536.jpg

knucklebuster, Faust29, mike and 22 others like this.